Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:40   #106
BHPian

re: Many parts of India are in curfew

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Went for my usual walk/jog today morning in the streets of Nanganallur, Chennai.

I have never heard birds chirping as much as it did today. There were flocks of birds (parrots, pigeons, mynas etc.,) flying just at the terrace-levels. The silence on the roads was absolutely enjoyable.

Great to see fellow Nanganallur'ian sharing the same feeling . I have always felt that this is one of the best place to live in Chennai for it's peace & greenery but it was a great Sunday with such calmness & peace.

Quote:
Corona or No-Corona - I wish such self-imposed curfew happens once or twice a year going forward.
Very true . This is like a reset button once every few months and for all our fellow humans to realize that we have to put a pause and just treasure the moments of our life.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd March 2020 at 17:30. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:11   #107
BHPian

Yesterday I had my morning breakfast and hot filter coffee. Didn't know what to do on a lazy Sunday with Janata Curfew. Was watching Discovery Channel which showed Land Rover Discovery wading through water. I remembered my car gathering dust for past few days due to my work from home. Went down and washed my car thoroughly and dried it. While I pulled out the car cover, I saw my black Honda Unicorn turned brownish. Washed that too. Now I have both my vehicles washed and covered. In case of emergency transportation, I left my wife's scooter uncovered, of course that was washed too. That was a combination of physical work out and clean-up. Felt good after that.
pranavGTI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:23   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
This is the reason i was on the fence all this time. The way things are going if the lockdown further escalates my daughter may lose one complete term (2.5 months). Hence evaluating my options. Would never request my dad to travel if my wife could have managed the above mentioned scenarios alone.
Please don't bother even if it means loosing one year of schooling. She should be safe and would have a healthy long life that this 2.5 months would look like a drop in ocean after few years. You would remember the life before and after 2020 and our aim is to make sure it does not stop at 2020.

I apologise for these hard hitting words but being in second line to treat COVID 19 patients I have kept myself away from my family for the past one week and going to do so for next 3 weeks atleast. Iam living in car and a small hospital room. We do this to save others life. Please understand and make your family understand.

We would argue after 3 months about my advice.
aadya is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:34   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Took a drive around Bombay last night starting 9 PM.
I think it would be good if we refrain from outdoor activities, even if it is a drive in the car which is completely safe to do so.

I say this, because, I am afraid this will easily spiral out of control and suddenly we will see people taking their cars out for a drive just to enjoy the empty road. This in turn, will be another stress on the police and the administration to make sure that no one stops in the middle of the road for a quick tea or a cigarette. Also, to keep the simplicity of the blanket ban on going outside, I think it is better to just stay home and set an example in the society for others to follow.

We must remember that it is a real tough time for most of the people who does not have the financial strength or the work-from-home facility at their disposal, and so, we should refrain from getting any fun out of a situation that is impacting millions. Just a show of solidarity goes a long way.
TSourav is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:52   #110
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
being in second line to treat COVID 19 patients I have kept myself away from my family for the past one week and going to do so for next 3 weeks atleast. I am living in car and a small hospital room. We do this to save others life.

Thank you for your service. It is because of heroes like you that we will get through this. Hope people understand the gravity of the situation and there are no more 5 pm processions.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Please don't bother even if it means loosing one year of schooling. She should be safe and would have a healthy long life that this 2.5 months would look like a drop in ocean after few years. You would remember the life before and after 2020 and our aim is to make sure it does not stop at 2020.

I apologise for these hard hitting words but being in second line to treat COVID 19 patients I have kept myself away from my family for the past one week and going to do so for next 3 weeks atleast. Iam living in car and a small hospital room. We do this to save others life. Please understand and make your family understand.

We would argue after 3 months about my advice.
Somehow, this still isn't sinking in, so hard hitting posts like these are most welcome; many people even here are like ostriches with their heads in the sand, seeing how to make the most of their existing way of life in what is seen as a brief interruption.

If this is what a doctor has to do when we are possibly at just the start of the Italy story, the mind boggles at what will happen if that one is replayed here in full; pregnant woman will have to have home deliveries with traditional midwives, if available; on that thought, it is a terrible thing to be a pregnant woman just now. And they need to pray for normal deliveries, which are actually abnormal now. Caesarian section at home?...no words for that. Road accident victims will be left unattended on the roads.

It all has the makings of a perfect storm...
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:27   #112
BHPian

People like aadya are giving up their present and future for us and we can't even stay put for few days in our house. Inspite of curfew I am still seeing people roaming in autos, taxis in Delhi.

If people don't follow rules now Government may bring stricter lockdown later. BTW why are stock markets working? Is it an essential service??
FrozeninTime is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:28   #113
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
We wish our government schedule this curfew at least once in a month. This reduces polution and makes us have quality family time.
I will let you know a secret to having a pollution free existence and quality family time:

Move to a village.
SreeT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 15:20   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The need for the travel is that we all live in Singapore and my daughters school has started today after a term break. With Singapore govt. introducing a mandatory 15 days self quarantine for all incoming travelers, the further I delay their travel to SG, the longer my daughter is going to miss her school.
A couple points to think through:
  • Your daughter’s school probably won’t be a problem. Since you are in Singapore, you can contact the school and explain the situation. Considering that the issue is of global nature, your daughter won’t be the first one facing this situation (of losing school days).
  • And if you really want your family with you during this crunch situation, take the flight throughout – they will have to go thru the procedures and serve the mandatory SHN (Stay Home Notice) period; which will help them be safe and monitored for any symptoms and also doesn’t pose a threat to the society. You may have to make arrangements for base provisions deliveries as the whole family could be confined in for 14 days.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 15:44   #115
Senior - BHPian

Our helper cum very occasional driver has his family, including a 5 month old daughter, in a village that is an overnight bus journey from Pune. His parents have told him to stay in Pune for the duration and not come home, possibly carrying the infection; they said they will cope without him for now.

He isn't happy, but he understands. As do the many security guards at our complex that are from Assam/Bihar.

I don't think these Indians are the problem, it is the entitled feeling category of city dwellers and those outside India that want a foot in both camps. I have no problem with the last lot in principle, but at times like now, that stance has consequences that have to be borne.

In my own case, my son is a Captain of a locked down oil tanker in the Panama canal area. All crew changes are banned for the foreseeable future, a month ago. He understands his responsibility to the ship and the crew, and is dealing with the situation accordingly. Actually he is the leader of one of the rare communities on the planet that are now guaranteed to be 100% infection free because it is three weeks now since lockdown, and he has no cases. His challenge now is the reverse - to not let infection in from land based service providers. And to sustain morale and discipline over whatever unfolds here on - less via the virus, but more from the chaotic human responses to it.

Conceptually, his case is not different from our driver and others. These are extraordinary times and will take extraordinary efforts and grit to come through them, from everyone.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2020 at 17:44. Reason: PM coming up
Sawyer is offline   (15) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:59   #116
BHPian

Ducked out to grab a couple of things just before the lockdown kicks in effect in Kolkata minutes from now. Shops closed, streets deserted, people moving indoors. The first Covid death in Kolkata has been reported today and that tragic news may force people to take this seriously.
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:09   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This thinking is common globally; it is also wrong, being based on not applying one's mind because of intellectual laziness and wanting to stay in denial to carry on business as usual.

The flatten the curve picture is very illuminating for those that study it and THINK.....This may come across as harsh, but the one consolation you have is that many think like this, even in the educated citizenry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
..many people even here are like ostriches with their heads in the sand, seeing how to make the most of their existing way of life in what is seen as a brief interruption...It all has the makings of a perfect storm...
Sir no disrespect. But, during times like this, maybe it would be a good idea to dial back the condescension a little bit.

These are tough times, yes. But, one does not need to be a certified genius to see all ramifications of this calamity. In fact, I am willing to bet that most of us can adequately play out all scenarios in our heads. It's just that each of us chooses to empathize with different dimensions of the same problem. Our choices are a direct result of each of our perspectives, courtesy our individual life journeys..

Let me try to explain by quoting from my own life.

Me and my wife care for three senior citizens in our house. We also have young children. We are therefore very much invested in the immediate human element in this situation. We need this virus contained; and we need our elders and our children to be healthy. No question about that at all.

But, there is another side to this story. No, not somewhere out there in someone else's house; but, in this very house where the aforementioned seniors and children live.

For better or for worse, both me and my wife found ourselves at the business end of 3 big recessions very early in our professional journeys. In fact, we have never really known a time when the going has been smooth for us economically speaking. Right until our mid 30s, we had no money at all to speak of. Personally, I was even embarrassed of meeting old friends because I had nothing to show for more than a decade of effort. As shameful as it sounds, this is the hard truth.

Despite having invested in quality education and having worked hard at various orgs, sometimes even to the point of receiving commendations for our work, we still bore the brunt of every downturn. While our classmates and contemporaries were busy building careers and wealth portfolios, both of us were busy doing damage control. Each time, we would will ourselves out of setbacks, find our bearings and then work hard believing that we were out of the woods. And each time any pile of savings that we built (and re-built) would quickly get expended in putting out the next fire in our professional lives set off by some other irresponsible moron in the economy (think sub-prime crisis or the 911 attacks). Today, we are simply tired of being at the receiving end of economic downturns that are caused by things out of our control.

And you know what else?! Despite all our personal setbacks, we feel that we are 1000 times more fortunate than the masses of people who live hand-to-mouth everyday. To imagine their lives makes us feel thankful for a merciful Lord in ours.

So, coming back to the present day, yes, we understand the point of view of our government and of various administrations around the world; and we will fully comply with all the laws of the land. But, to expect us to vocally cheer-lead a societal shutdown?! That's a bit much I think. That we can't find it in our hearts to do.

To be clear, I would certainly not wish harm on anyone. But, if the choice is between a.) protecting the health of some whose immunity may be compromised (predominantly seniors who have lived a long life) and b.) protecting the livelihood of the vast majority of the working population so that they can feed their families and secure their families' future, well my choice is quite clear.

Please forgive me for sounding harsh. But, I suppose I am simply too hardened after witnessing years of professional hardship. Even in the worst of my temperaments, I would not wish economic hardship on my worst enemy. That's just where I come out.

And yes, I fully comprehend that this virus could mutate and become something that affects not just old people; but everyone notwithstanding the strength of their immunity. It's just that in sheer numbers, I think that the number of people who would end up being affected by the economic fallout of our solutions would be orders of magnitude more than those whose health would be immediately impacted by the virus.

To be clear, there are no good options here. Only bad ones. It is a question of which bad option you would prefer based on where you have been and what you have seen in your life. That's all there is to it.

So, let us please get off the soap box and not lecture others about their "inability to think" and what not. Who knows what people are going through? Maybe everyone can think. Maybe everyone has, in fact, already thought about the N ways that this could play out. Maybe some people are more worried about the economics than about their health or about others' health. Surely, that should not be hard for us to comprehend, correct? Who are we to label others as stupid?

Thanks

P.S.

Talking about mitigation landscapes, I have heard that this WFH exercise is opening corporate leaders' eyes about increased efficiencies in the workplace. Be that as it may, WFH is not a solution in itself. If WFH is adopted enmasse, we would just be trading one risk for another - one piece of well-positioned malware in video conferencing software would bring down the whole house of cards. So, WFH is good. But, it should always supplement work-from-office routines. Not the other way around. This is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool IT guy.

Instead of investing only in IT efficiencies, I think we should really be taking a hard look at our healthcare systems. I am hoping that this crisis sets the ball rolling in helping us deal with future pandemics. In particular, I was very impressed to read that China built a hospital in record time to scale up delivery of healthcare services. Once they had passed the peak, they scaled down service delivery of healthcare. We should be putting in place such measures here. In a pinch, every open piece of land in the city (think sports stadium and fair grounds) should be able to house a large healthcare facility each. We should scale up drug manufacture and delivery and then scale down when demand ebbs.
mohansrides is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:42   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
....China built a hospital in record time to scale up delivery of healthcare services. Once they had passed the peak, they scaled down service delivery of healthcare. We should be putting in place such measures here. In a pinch, every open piece of land in the city (think sports stadium and fair grounds) should be able to house a large healthcare facility each. We should scale up drug manufacture and delivery and then scale down when demand ebbs.
That is a very, very critical point.

Building large-scale permanent infrastructure will neither be necessary nor efficient - though one may justifiably argue we have a long way to go even by peacetime standards - but we need Disaster Management procedures that can tackle ramping up large-scale facilities (and equipment supplies) on a quick timeline during events needing mobilization on a war-footing.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:48   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Which is the best mode to travel from Mangalore to Bangalore keeping the current situation in mind?
There is only one mode possible - by road using private car/vehicle.

No train services till 31 mar

All domestic flights cancelled from tomorrow night. No mention of the date it will be restarted - assuming 31 mar.

No local or interstate bus services in Mangalore/Bangalore (from yesterday night)

Which leaves ONLY by road in private car/vehicle.

If it is viable, it is better to stay put @ Mangalore itself. If has to travel, please have proper documents - including any thing which can provide some proof on the need for your family to travel.

BTW, how are they going to fly to singapore ? All international flights are also grounded, right ?

One of the local labourer's family wanted to go back to their village a little further away from Tumkur. After trying out all options, they went in their bike (Husband, wife and 3 kids - age b/w 6 & 12). I tried to discourage them from going in bike like this, but they said they have no options, hence going ahead with it.

Last edited by haria : 23rd March 2020 at 17:53.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:09   #120
BHPian

I had to step out today for a Doctor's appointment and get some equipment from office to make my WFH easier. Felt life was normal and no mention of Corona in the day to day life out here, despite the state govt. banning non-essential activities. Multiple Clothing showrooms, hardware shops, Beauty Saloons, Small Restaurants and a couple of Wine Shops were open ! Its just the big ones that were shut.

One one hand, it is important to stay at home and avoid spread of the virus and on the other let society function so that the ones at the bottom most rung of the pyramid don't suffer, in addition to making folks like us be WFH and not run out of supplies and services. Quite eye opening !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed