Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:22   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Many parts of India are in curfew

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I had to step out today for a Doctor's appointment and get some equipment from office to make my WFH easier. Felt life was normal and no mention of Corona in the day to day life out here, despite the state govt. banning non-essential activities. Multiple Clothing showrooms, hardware shops, Beauty Saloons, Small Restaurants and a couple of Wine Shops were open ! Its just the big ones that were shut.
What time of the day was this?

My father was watching Kannada news and then asked me to get some medicines long with some other essential stuff as the channels started running scrolls that everything will be shut down. I stepped out for around 90 minutes in Yelahanka New Town area. Everything but the Medical Stores, Provision Stores, Kitchens (not restaurants), and Fruits and Vegetable stores were open.

Super market chains were closed - D Mart and other popular super markets as well. I asked the cashier at one of the supermarket as to whether they will open tomorrow for which he wasn't sure. This was between 1500 and 1630.

I came home and started to catch up with the latest, especially in my state of Karnataka and watched couple of news channels which clearly confirm now through their scrolls that : Medical Stores, Provision Stores, Online Food Delivery (through kitchens), Shops selling Fruits and Vegetables will remain open.

BMTC, KSRTC, App Based Taxi Services will be non-functional.

Many parts of India are in curfew-img_20200323_182617.jpg
(Scroll says : Hotel Kitchen, Swiggy, Zomato Services to be available)

Many parts of India are in curfew-img_20200323_182641.jpg
(Scroll says : Provision Stores, Kirana Stores to remain open)

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd March 2020 at 18:30.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:36   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Building large-scale permanent infrastructure will neither be necessary nor efficient - though one may justifiably argue we have a long way to go even by peacetime standards - but we need Disaster Management procedures that can tackle ramping up large-scale facilities (and equipment supplies) on a quick timeline during events needing mobilization on a war-footing.
I just want to say that a lot of preperation is going on behind the scenes. District administrations are looking into ways and methods of ramping up facilities in case of sudden spike in cases. We have been contacted a few times in the past week or so, local bodies and associations are being called for meetings with the administration to assess the resources that are available and those that can be availed at short notice.
nasa_hubble is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:54   #123
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Are the Amazon deliveries suspended due to lock down restrictions ?

Do courier services come under essential services ?

I had an existing Amazon order which i made last week. Now Amazon has sent me an email that the order may be delayed due to restrictions. I am afraid that ultimately it will be cancelled due to the lockdown in NCR.
DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:57   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Are the Amazon deliveries suspended due to lock down restrictions ?

Do courier services come under essential services ?
In Bihar, it is mentioned as essential services. I think, it may be similar at other places.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:12   #125

Attaching one of the forwards received. Reminds me of the Connaught Place of old as depicted in the movie Special 26. Lots of pigeons and only 2-3 cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Many parts of India are in curfew-7d4031ec1e314da1a5d272c221672c93.jpeg  

hs_maverick is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:13   #126
BHPian

Same here in Pune. I had ordered groceries and kitchen essentials through Big Basket two weeks back and the delivery date I got was today from 12:00 to 3:00 PM. Today, I got a text saying that the delivery would be a little late and will be delivered by 4 PM and yet at 7:00 PM I am trying to reach customer care to know whereabouts of my delivery.

PS: Customer care is not reachable. I am trying since morning!
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:39   #127
Senior - BHPian

Commendable effort to ease people into a lockdown! I guess it was a nice gesture to clap for all those workers on the frontline - loads of them simply cannot afford to stay at home and watch Netflix. How I wish they could have left out the utensils part though. But with the power that he possesses, I sincerely hope the PM had been more accurate on what he wanted from the people. Whatsapp rumours - (I had an argument in a group) about the virus only being able to survive for 9 hrs whereas the curfew being for 12 hours - should have been crushed! And the other rumour of make as much noise as possible to kill the virus should have been nipped in the bud. I saw so many videos of people going crazy in making as much noise as possible and worst - joining as a community, walking around, holding each other, hugging. Those are the very things we need to have put a full stop to - last week!

In all this, it is the same problem here too - Trumpians won't believe any of the news - and as a President, he is entrusted to so much power - power of information. If that is used in the right way (at least in this time of crises), I can imagine how much he can make the jobs of people on the frontline easier.

In some of the whatsapp groups, I see some insane rumours. I try as much as possible to do a quick research and quash the rumour right there if found explicitly false. I think that is a responsiblity we all must share. Before forwarding, make sure you are forwarding the right info. I just cannot imagine the harm that is done by these crazy rumours!
naveenroy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:09   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Same here in Pune. I had ordered groceries and kitchen essentials through Big Basket two weeks back and the delivery date I got was today from 12:00 to 3:00 PM. Today, I got a text saying that the delivery would be a little late and will be delivered by 4 PM and yet at 7:00 PM I am trying to reach customer care to know whereabouts of my delivery.

PS: Customer care is not reachable. I am trying since morning!
Maybe they are facing supply/man-power issues in Pune. I had ordered last Monday and got a delivery slot for today's Morning. And luckily, it arrived on-time without any follow up.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:16   #129
BHPian

I am not sure of Amazon and Big basket but I ordered groceries from Flipkart on last Wednesday and it got delivered today as per the promise. Little of the topic, I salute those Ekart and other delivery guys who are working in this tough time and making sure that we get our essential items delivered I can’t thank them enough!
khanmaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:18   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Beautiful things and feelings we miss nowadays.
Though I've moved to Dehadun few years ago and our area is full of birds. So much so often it sounds like cacophony.

Also it'll be very interesting to know today's pollution level. I hope to see something on this on the newspapers tomorrow.
What does one do to be able to run away to Dehradun?
thedragonreborn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:19   #131
BHPian

Suggestion to those with kids, introduce them to boardgames and mandate electronics only for fixed hours.

We picked up Game of Life, Monopoly (the electronic kind so no more cheating...), battle ship, Scotland Yard and Stratego.

My house now has become hangout spot for my son's friends. They come only to play board games. Scotland Yard seems to be a big hit.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:19   #132
Team-BHP Support

Punjab has been put under curfew in the day and now chandigarh will be also after midnight.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Is Delhi put on curfew ? Some reports are suggesting.
Old 23rd March 2020, 21:28   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is Delhi put on curfew ? Some reports are suggesting.
Yes, as per news channels.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 22:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

Once the lockdown news was announced, I drove to Mysore to bring back my parents to Bangalore.
On my return the road to Mysore from Bangalore was chocked with Traffic. I have never seen so much traffic in my life. It is the same situation on all roads leading out of Bangalore. At least 25% of Bangalore population might have left the city.
Glad I left early to reach Mysore by 6:30PM and got back home in Bangalore by 10PM.

Tough measures are very essential to curtail any spread of infection. It is each and everyone's duty to stay indoors and avoid infection.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks