Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 22:38   #136
MMV
BHPian

re: Many parts of India are in curfew

My guess is the lockdown will last 3 weeks to provide good results, i.e flattening the virus growth curve. Virus has 2 weeks incubation period (transmission to symptoms) so 3 weeks of isolation/social distancing will be effected by government. Let's all jointly see through this challenging phase, hopefully once in a lifetime event.
Trivia: I have not seen Mumbai so deserted and even spooky till now, not even on the day after 26/11.
MMV is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 22:52   #137
BHPian

If all of us i.e. the public and the governments keep it very tight this week and follow everything that should be done to isolate and delay then we will get a better control on the situation even if it escalate in the next week or after. I do not think it is possible to shutdown the whole country for the longer period. We cant afford it. I think the situation will slightly improve the next week. Fingers crossed.
Old 23rd March 2020, 22:56   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Punjab has been put under curfew in the day and now chandigarh will be also after midnight.
Shops are open 6am to 9am only and this is resulting in huge crowds at grocery stores. Kind of like defeating the purpose of the curfew.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 22:59   #139
BHPian

People crowding at stores defeats the purpose of this. I also saw a few images of people struggling to get a bus to their home towns because the trains were cancelled. Let us hope that this does not deteriorate the situation.
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 23:03   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Shops are open 6am to 9am only and this is resulting in huge crowds at grocery stores. Kind of like defeating the purpose of the curfew.
The condition may not be the same all the days. Today TN Govt has announced total shutdown starting 6PM tomorrow. The day before the Janata Curfew there was huge crowd in the super markets. Today evening it was free with very few an the markets were filled with stocks. Also with the clear announcement from the govt that, Milk, Groceries, Vegetables and Meat will be available with out any conditions is a huge relief.

After all People has to consume what they have stocked now.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 00:17   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
In some of the whatsapp groups, I see some insane rumours. I try as much as possible to do a quick research and quash the rumour right there if found explicitly false. I think that is a responsiblity we all must share. Before forwarding, make sure you are forwarding the right info. I just cannot imagine the harm that is done by these crazy rumours!
Excellent post naveenroy! As much as I like WhatsApp to keep in touch with family, I hate it as a platform to share info with others. In this case, we are learning about this novel virus, and things are evolving rapidly. One day they say paracetamol may help with flu symptoms, then the other they say it can make things worse. If the info is in a web article, a giant banner can be added to revise it, correct it! With WhatsApp, once alarming incorrect info is forwarded, it stays alarming for ever.

Yesterday, there was this guy claiming Corona Virus spreads because of 5G, and it is not spreading in India because India has no 5G. .
GutsyGibbon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 00:40   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Are the Amazon deliveries suspended due to lock down restrictions ?
Amazon, Flipkart and other e-commerce websites have been classified as essentials and will continue to operate under lockdown, delay in deliveries is expected. I am not sure what will be the status in areas where curfew is in place.
Link:
https://www.businessinsider.in/busin...w/74769973.cms
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 02:24   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
The condition may not be the same all the days. Today TN Govt has announced total shutdown starting 6PM tomorrow. The day before the Janata Curfew there was huge crowd in the super markets. Today evening it was free with very few an the markets were filled with stocks. Also with the clear announcement from the govt that, Milk, Groceries, Vegetables and Meat will be available with out any conditions is a huge relief.

After all People has to consume what they have stocked now.
I have no idea about TN. I was talking about Punjab where even OPDs have closed down in the hospitals with 6-9am timing for groceries and stuff. So its 3 hours of social mingling and 21 hours of social distancing
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 05:01   #144
Team-BHP Support

Kerala announced full lockdown until 31st March (effective from 23rd midnight). Private vehicles are allowed but no public transportation during this period.

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...i-vijayan.html
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 07:43   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

The stray dogs in Gurgaon are strutting around with a new confidence. Many, many are perched on top of car hoods. I think they are enjoying the freedom from humans. The dogs are having their day. They must be thinking " municipslity walleh humans ko pakad ke ley gaye" (the municipality catchers have taken the humans away). The swimming pool in our colony is shut due to Govt orders on account of Covid-19. A family of 4 ducks have taken over!!! No idea where they have come from. They are busy paddling in our pool. Amazing how quickly animals have sensed the retreat of humans.
V.Narayan is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 08:02   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was talking about Punjab where even OPDs have closed down in the hospitals with 6-9am timing for groceries and stuff. So its 3 hours of social mingling and 21 hours of social distancing
I don’t know where you are getting this information. I came to Mohali on Saturday night to be with my mother, our street has been mostly quiet except for that 5 pm bells on Sunday. Yesterday, everything was closed here in Mohali probably due to curfew, so I went to Chandigarh to pick medicines. I was stopped at 2 places by police asking for my purpose. They let me through and were polite. Markets were mostly closed and only a few guys were there shopping for daily needs or medicines. Most were wearing masks and everyone went back as soon as he was done with shopping.

Maybe some villages or some other towns are different but all in all a good sign. Authorities are going from house to house of all the persons returned from overseas and pasting Quarantine stickers. Must be counselling them as well.

I will say, it’s being a good work by both state and central government. They cannot go back to last week but definitely control the coming days. If we see what’s happening in the states or UK, we appear to be doing the right things.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th March 2020 at 08:14.
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 08:10   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What time of the day was this?

My father was watching Kannada news and then asked me to get some medicines long with some other essential stuff as the channels started running scrolls that everything will be shut down. I stepped out for around 90 minutes in Yelahanka New Town area. Everything but the Medical Stores, Provision Stores, Kitchens (not restaurants), and Fruits and Vegetable stores were open.

Super market chains were closed - D Mart and other popular super markets as well. I asked the cashier at one of the supermarket as to whether they will open tomorrow for which he wasn't sure. This was between 1500 and 1630
Between 12 and 3. I visited Columbia Asia Sarjapur Road for an OPD consultation and then went to my office on ORR to get my equipment to ease WFH.

The Columbia Asia receptionist mentioned that OPDs may also be shut down soon.

D-Mart was open at the time and so were a lot of super markets, including some wine shops.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 09:10   #148
BHPian

Though it may be too soon to say, I really appreciate the Government initiatives to keep the situation at bay.
The Janta curfew was a great exercise to keep people indoors and create awareness on the importance of social distancing.
The 5pm tribute was energetic and great, but the purpose in certain scenarios were defeated when idiots came to celebrate the same in crowds and get back to work and cause traffic jams the next day.

Good decision on the lockdown until 31st March, which may get extended depending on the situation to flatten out the curve. Section 270 in Bangalore and other states are being imposed where one could face imprisonment for breach of conduct. Such policing measures are required to make people understand the harsh reality of the situation.
This is the time that we all come together, support the brilliant measures by our government and support them by sitting at home and staying safe.

A prayer and tribute to my doctor friends and other servicemen who are out there battling case after case and putting their own health to risk for the betterment of the country.

A standing ovation to our government which has come out with brilliant guidelines to keep safe, especially in a country with a massive population density. The level of preparedness and imposition couldn't be any better!
Let us all respect the same, keep safe and learn something new in the days to come from our respective homes and keep safe.
advenk999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 09:53   #149
BHPian

Guys, I hope people do not take offence to my observations here but speak I must.

We are all unhappy participants in this curfew that has extended sine die. Probably for good reasons. We are all, collectively as a society, spurred on by our leaders looking at the economic costs of this and the social.

Please. Do not forget that social isolation literally means isolation. I request people here NOT to invite people, friends, help etc. from outside while we are holed up at home. This is counter productive to put it mildly and defeats the purpose of the exile that we have imposed upon ourself.

In a country as large as ours and as populated as ours, its not going to be easy to flatten the curve. Given the large number of people without access to private toilets itself shall ensure that people cannot seclude themselves as effectively as a lot of people in the west did. Bu us contributing to this is important, despite the social and economic costs involved. And the reason is one word - Doctors.

Our doctors are in the frontline's batteling a disease without a cure in hazmat suits if they are lucky. Alternatively they are battling this in whatever they get. Hours have gone up, exposure to diseases has increased and this virus preys on lack of immunity. I am not a man of medicine but what little I do know makes me think that doctors are going to have reduced immunity to this virus the more exhaustion creeps in. Please mark the significance of that. Without doctors, we are vulnerable not only to this virus but to every little ailment that we can be confronted with.

There are actual people risking their lives everyday. Cases have been reported of doctors in China as Italy losing their lives while fighting this. This is war, it's just that the battleground is now different.

We must overcome. The economic costs though dire cannot involve sacrificing our doctors at the frontline. Once they fall, we fall and the enemy doesn't seem to take many prisoners.
redeff is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:25   #150
Team-BHP Support

Re: Many parts of India are in curfew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don’t know where you are getting this information.
Ludhiana. 6-9am milk shops etc., had lot of rush and long lines. Very dangerous for exposure. My dad works in a big hospital and OPD is closed.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed