Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2020, 08:38   #1606
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Cochin seems to be back alive now, hope everyone takes it easy and stay safe.
Cochin is coming back to life. Autos have started plying, although many are running with 2-3 passengers. Traffic has definitely increased over the past 3-4 days. I have been out everyday since day 1 of the lockdown, to drop my wife at the hospital. There used to be police checking near MG road, thats no more now. Usually I will be stopped by the cops, as my car is Kannur (a red zone) registered. But that too has stopped over the last week or so.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img_20200505_080742.jpg

Most of the people were wearing masks, except the occasional helmetless kids on bikes. Social distancing is a mixed bag. Though I observed that it is largely ignored by the out-of-state workers. Many are huddled around the usual hangout spots (Karukapally). There was a long line outside the police station, possibly waiting for pass to travel home. Forget social distancing, personal spacing wasnt being followed!

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img_20200505_081201.jpg

On the other hand, over 4 lakh NRIs have registered to return to Kerala. Report says that nearly 25% of them have lost their jobs. Last time, the NRIs were just told to self quarantine, and many of them ignored it. The mess in Kasargod and Kannur is partly because of a few who refused quarantine and roamed around. Hope this time, each and everyone are screened and quarantined (if found positive) properly.
GeneralJazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 08:59   #1607
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
They are asking extra money from people to be transported in buses and trains home in such dire times, poor people mostly who have been stuck in cities for more than one and half months now. EXTRA MONEY FROM THE POOR? Let this even sink in.
3 Naval Ships Sent to Evacuate Indians Stranded in Maldives, UAE. Are they being charged for this travel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
And the revised poll results provide us with an interesting insight, doesn't it?
If the Govt had worked out category zones (red, green & orange), then Lockdown 1.0 itself was not necessary. But I give the benefit of the doubt & give time for a learning curve on the new epidemic and hence can accommodate Lockdown 1.0 which was for 3 weeks.
msdivy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 09:02   #1608
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Thats nearby where I live, In fact the car wash over here is the one I always go to and I noticed the crowd of out-of-state labours over there on Friday. I assumed its to do with the permissions to travel back home and was a just a one off case.
Old 5th May 2020, 11:22   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If the Govt had worked out category zones (red, green & orange), then Lockdown 1.0 itself was not necessary. But I give the benefit of the doubt & give time for a learning curve on the new epidemic and hence can accommodate Lockdown 1.0 which was for 3 weeks.
You have not hit the nail on the head. You have hammered it inside the head!.

I know it is easy to be wiser after the event or make decisions on hindsight. But still a complete shutdown of the entire country of 1.3 billion people with completely diverse backgrounds, is something I can never digest.

Last edited by Nalin1 : 5th May 2020 at 11:27.
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:24   #1610
BHPian

The "Corona Cess" has started off with 70-75% on liquor. Slowly but steadily they will cripple it down to other taxes as expected. The government will operate the way they want to at their own will? Look at the bee lines ! Is there something called social distancing? I doubt !
They very well knew it that it is going to happen as soon as liquor shops open. They make some 10 pages of the restrictions with their rediculous ideas and they did not think about this?
hareshjethwani is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:26   #1611
BANNED

Quote:
And the revised poll results provide us with an interesting insight, doesn't it?
It’s not only the aspect of having money that you have already mentioned. I think that people are slowly waking up to the fact that this virus simply cannot be out-lasted with a lockdown. This pathogen is unlike anything we have seen. It will last and last and last. By contrast, how long can we last locked up?

The other thing is that after being virtually imprisoned for almost 6 weeks, people have started to grow weary and are simply ready to play the odds against this virus - chance of getting infected plus chance of the infection going south and all that.

Lastly of course, there is the really big reason. The worry about jobs and about deterioration of general societal structures have started to become more tangible for lots of folks.

By the way, I think that even this poll is heavily tilted in favour of a lockdown, rather than it being tilted against one. But if we are still in lockdown at the end of May or into June, and if we reset the poll at that time, that’s when we will see real momentum in the swing.

Last edited by mohansrides : 5th May 2020 at 11:39.
mohansrides is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:41   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
The "Corona Cess" has started off with 70-75% on liquor. Slowly but steadily they will cripple it down to other taxes as expected...
Here's the first move:

Fuel price hike | Delhi government raises VAT; petrol up by Rs 1.6/litre, diesel by Rs 7.1
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:44   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Definitely not, let me show you who else was not charged

https://www.news18.com/news/india/wh...e-2603091.html

And there are thousands such more cases of flights rescuing people outside India for free. Although I am happy they are doing it but the bhed bhaav is clear.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:48   #1614
BHPian

Votes for Yes. I think it all depends on the situation and what concerns the people at that time. Right now people are antsy staying at home, but still a tad concerned. Threat of the virus is obviously mitigated, at least in people's mind, hence the queues at the liquor shops (alcohol isn't a necessity so it is pretty much like a leisurely thing). Many would like to venture out but once they see this disease in its full swing, the reactions might change. As of now those who are economically and financially affected want to go out and work and may be that does make sense. After all you can't stay indoors forever, locked in hoping the situation turns for the best. We will have to go out sooner than later. I just hope this disease doesn't come back with vengeance. All this bravado pretty much goes out of the window when you witness someone close-by suffering.
Keeping fingers crossed and hoping this is behind us soon.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:52   #1615
BANNED

The lockdown and its subsequent extensions have been measures to control the spread of the Covid virus.
The Govt has taken a large number of steps to ensure the delivery of food and supplies to every corner of the country. They have had unenviable job of limiting movement of people as a control measure and ensuring full movement of goods and supplies.
The stupendous achievement of the Govt in creating anti Covid facilities is not visible to the armchair critics. All Govt establishments have created huge medical infrastructure overnight at several locations at each city and town. In Mumbai, not far from where I live, the Navy's depots, civilian medical facilities etc have been upsized and large numbers of the affected are already recuperating there.
Similarly at the Bhabha atomic center at Mankhurd. I only mention the few nearby but it has been done very efficiently.
Even I only knew about it after a friend there told me about the scale of this operation.
This has also been done in thousands of locations all around the country.
Unfortunately, many people don't care about what has been done. They only know and care about their little problems of kitchen appliances etc.
There have been huge demands on the Govt regarding the migrant population and 'essential services' like liquor.
The Central Government has done tremendous work in the control of the pandemic and the healthcare of every affected individual.
The police and paramilitary have worked with the State Government to ensure food supplies even in the slums.
I think this is a time for sacrifices and solidarity; not one for nitpicking and making politically loaded statements.
The taali bajana or lamp lighting was certainly not compulsory and those who participated were very happy .We cheered from our balconies happily instead of saying is this the way to eliminate the virus.
Let's maintain a positive frame of mind and help the poor in any way that we can. Ridiculing the over stretched government services is not helping the cause.
The bureaucrats have decades of experience in administration, the Govt medical heirarchy runs everything from small health care units to the AIIMS.
Trust their knowledge and experience. All will be well.

Last edited by fiestarry : 5th May 2020 at 11:58.
fiestarry is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 12:14   #1616
BHPian

I don't think the the lockdown will end at 17th .
Yesterday, the liquor shops were opened in many parts of the country and seeing the Queue (Or rather crowd), I believe once the lockdown lifts completely, the virus is goin to spread like crazy.

Also Interstate travel will not resume for at least another couple of months

I have applied to get a pass to go to Kerala since I am stranded here and my family being at Kerala. I thought since I have work from home and once I reach there , home quarantine is only for 14 days, it will be good if I travel (After the people who have emergencies)

But the instructions I got over a phone call from Health department from Kerala is that, I have to be in complete isolated home quarantine for 28 days.
This is because I have 2 kids and parents are 60+
Either I have to move to a separate house / government quarantine OR family have to move somewhere else.

I am convincing my mind not to go now.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 12:21   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Are they being charged for this travel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
And there are thousands such more cases of flights rescuing people outside India for free. Although I am happy they are doing it but the bhed bhaav is clear.
Bhed baav!? You don't say!

Quote:
Railways collected Rs 32 lakh from ticket fares from migrant workers in Ernakulam
Quote:
The workers have spent, on average, Rs 530 per ticket. Ernakulam district administration officials said it has only charged an amount equal to the unreserved ticket fares from migrant laborers. The total money collected was handed over to the Indian Railways.
Quote:
The decision to charge the migrant workers leaving for their home states via the special trains followed the recent Railway Board note which said: “The local state government authority shall hand over the tickets to the passengers cleared by them and collect the ticket fare and hand over the amount to the Railways.”
Quote:
The state government is not charging any money for transporting them to the stations on the buses. Besides, we are giving them medicines, food items, and drinking water for free." Though the normal passenger ticket charge between Aluva and Bhubaneswar will come around Rs 445, the workers paid Rs 530 per ticket as other additional expenses of the travel were also included. Migrant workers said they bore this cost as there was no other choice.
"Many of us haven't worked for the past month. If we missed the chance now, we don't know when we could go to meet our family. So, we paid whatever we had," said a laborer hailing from Kalahandi district of Odisha.
Link

Atleast the state government has given each person food, water, sanitizers etc. for the journey.

Another news:

Quote:
The Bihar government has denied permission to the five Shramik Special trains that were scheduled to depart from the State on Monday, jeopardising the return of migrant workers stranded in the State due to the lockdown. The decision of the Bihar government to refuse No Objection Certificate (NOC) came as a surprise to the State as Railways had already operated 11 Shramik Specials from Kerala to Jharkhand, Odisha, and Bihar to facilitate the return of the migrants.
Link
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 12:28   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah right. The poll itself needs to be changed as it just doesnt make sense considering there is no STRICT lockdown now apart from the containment zones. So not sure what to make out of the current poll results.

Also, it would be interesting to see how the same results will be 15-20 days down the line when the cases rise exponentially (God forbid) due to people going out in full swing right now. It is going to be interesting for sure.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 12:46   #1619
BHPian

I just don't have anything new to add to this thread. Almost every point has been discussed. All I can say is now it's this dilemma of whether to continue with this lockdown for indefinite period and risk livelihoods of crores of people or to lift it and get bombarded from so called experts if number of cases increases.

Problem is people are not used to seeing this countdown of no of death from other diseases and so it seems like covid is killing more people than all other diseases which is not the case. If we could find statistics of how many people died from some other disease during the same period in the last five years, we might come to a conclusion that covid is not as major a problem as is projected. I'm no expert but I'm sure a lot more people die from cancer, tuberculosis, thalassemia, dengue etc. every year than this flu. Either way, we will have to learn to live with it as getting a vaccine is probably a long time away. So it's only a matter of time when the govt. will think of lifting the lockdown as I can safely assume we can't live in economic lockdown till a vaccine is found which may take 2-3 years. And without a vaccine, this thing is not going to vanish on its own.

Last edited by Carpainter : 5th May 2020 at 13:12.
Carpainter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 12:57   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
... created huge medical infrastructure overnight at several locations at each... Navy's depots, ...Bhabha atomic center ...
... also been done in thousands of locations all around the country.
... Ridiculing the over stretched government services is not helping the cause.
The bureaucrats have decades of experience in administration, the Govt medical heirarchy runs everything from small health care units to the AIIMS.
Trust their knowledge and experience. All will be well.
Really happy to hear this!
Hope these are not temporary "medical infrastructure" that will be gone in a few months. Because it is not just the SARS-COV2 that we should be targeting in our country. Somehow, the locations of such camps don't seem to suggest a long term plan.

Respect has to be earned, it does not matter if you are a world leader or "just a mechanic". Ridicule too has been earned over decades. The PR departments of celebrities do a great job of building them up, but ultimately the proof is in the pudding, like they say.

And "all will be well" is relative. So far, everything was going "great" in spite of millions dying of hunger, cholera, TB... We just need to close our eyes selectively.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed