Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2020, 15:00   #1846
BHPian

Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
My guess is that Lockdown 4.0 (ultra relaxed lockdown) will be announced wherein all current Red zones will become Orange zones and all current Orange zones will become Green. Current Green zones will become zone free (No Zone no restrictions).
Is this based on some news or just a hunch? My guess is it is going to be nothing significant. Just a reminder about social distancing, install app, blah blah. It is too early to announce extension or changes after 17th May
praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:52   #1847
BHPian

Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Actually there is no need to address.

By default, Lockdown extended till end of May (as we are in the middle of May. First week of June, it will be extended till middle of June). Some more restrictions lifted from many more areas.

What kind of restrictions will be however decided by the state Govts. Somewhat understood by all and something like that followed on the ground.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:55   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Is this based on...
More likely it will be a feel good communication, with the PM sympathizing with the poor. It will also lay the groundwork for declaring some aspects of the lockdown a success and stating that nothing more than what has been achieved already can be accomplished with a further lockdown. The lifting of the lockdown will be justified by highlighting the suffering of the poor and describing the government as prioritizing the welfare of weak and determined to alleviate their suffering at any cost.

Possibly a few statements to the same effect by experts will reinforce the fact that the lockdown was a success in the coming days. Press releases to international news agencies will emphasize the humanitarian aspect in the decision to end the lockdown. Flattening the curve and other trivia will be dismissed by the government reiterating its responsibilty to its less fortunate citizens over statistics and science.
mvadg is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 16:55   #1849
Senior - BHPian

These extensions have now become high level stupidity show. Once you go out you realize people are already roaming free with tons of vehicles on road. What's the point. Just lift the lockdown and ask people to maintain social distancing. They do or not is upto them anyways. Can't go on like this forever. People need to earn a living to support their household and it's time they are free to do so. Anyways, let's see what we get this time at 8 pm. Historically, 8 pm has always been a disaster news broadcast for people.
harry10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:00   #1850
Senior - BHPian

This is certainly becoming a joke.

The government thinks perhaps we all have our coffers full of money and we can live like this for a long time.

If the lockdown is not relaxed I fear this will bring in violent and chaotic scenarios.

Public is fedup and getting impatient. You can sense it so much now.
vkochar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:18   #1851
BHPian

I expect two things
1. Extension of lock down with few restrictions relaxed and limited public transportation
2. We may need to perform a new act coming Sunday from our balconies.
Thermodynamics is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 18:11   #1852
BHPian

If we look at the ACTIVE cases on covid19india site, that curve looks to be flattening at the top end, as of today. Ripples, yes, but the "mean" has a flattish tendency. Cumulative cases would ALWAYS increase. With more number of recoveries per day, reducing the nett active, is this not a silver lining? Experts please clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Anyways, let's see what we get this time at 8 pm. Historically, 8 pm has always been a disaster news broadcast for people.
On a lighter note, about "8PM", that is a hard liqour brand! Except, the hangover from the announcements last for years...

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 12th May 2020 at 18:16.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 18:24   #1853
BHPian

The reality is that patience is running out and frustration is increasing especially among the segment of population at the mid and lower end of the economic scale.

How many are actually following social distancing norms ? With a country as diverse as ours, the lockdown needs to be lifted without any more delays to allow the various sectors to continue operations. The MSME sector is badly hit and the effects are already being felt.

The reality is that the virus isn't going anywhere soon and a vaccine is far away.
We need to take our chances, use precautions and continue with daily life. Economic stimulus isnt coming and the onus of rebuilding the economy is on all of us Indians.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 19:04   #1854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
If we look at the ACTIVE cases on covid19india site, that curve looks to be flattening at the top end, as of today. Ripples, yes, but the "mean" has a flattish tendency. Cumulative cases would ALWAYS increase. With more number of recoveries per day, reducing the nett active, is this not a silver lining? Experts please clarify
You are right.

Infact something on similar lines was emphasised by Health Minister today.

But the media won't show you this. They will only focus on number total number of cases rising each day, number of deaths rising each day.

Media sells fear.
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 19:15   #1855
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is that Lockdown 4.0 (ultra relaxed lockdown) will be announced wherein all current Red zones will become Orange zones and all current Orange zones will become Green. Current Green zones will become zone free (No Zone no restrictions).
Lets hope that happens. The way i see it, here in Mumbai with about 20% of India's corona cases I'm surprised they haven't put it in the 'maroon' zone yet! As per the present situation, I feel like the lockdown in Mumbai will continue forever & my guess is it will be the last city to have the lockdown lifted which is long time away.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:33   #1856
Team-BHP Support

A more relaxed lockdown 4.0 is confirmed in the PM's address and details to be provided before May 18th. Rules will be based on the various suggestions by the states.

Financial stimulus package also announced.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th May 2020 at 20:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:35   #1857
BANNED

So, no announcements on details of Lockdown 4.0 but indications that it will be completely different from last 3 lockdowns. But yes it will indeed be called a "lockdown".

Biggest announcement being the economic package worth 20 lacs Cr (approx 10% of GDP). MSMEs can have a breather now hopefully.

Last edited by DCEite : 12th May 2020 at 20:37.
DCEite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:44   #1858
Senior - BHPian

This was one of the worst speeches I’ve heard in a long time. Lots of prose with absolutely zero substance and specifics. Reminds me of college days when we filled a couple of pages of the answer sheet without knowing the answer to the question.

What we saw was basically just tom toming a large figure to grab eyeballs. How exactly will it work is anyone’s guess. We’ve been waiting and waiting for something concrete, and now we are asked to wait more. Going by this administration’s track record of handling ‘reforms’, I don’t have much hope.

On the plus side, no silly tasks that make a mockery of common sense were given.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th May 2020 at 20:48.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:50   #1859
Distinguished - BHPian

I wasn't amused. With colleagues from Europe mentioning about something called "Intelligent Lockdown" pretty much in place, where one can step out only if absolutely necessary, I am hoping that 4.0 will be similar till an indefinite period. Restaurants and Movie theatres are still not open there.

The relief package comes as a relief but how it will be executed and realised by the needy is to be seen.

The biggest hope I have is that people take the whatsoever limited restrictions of 4.0 seriously instead of treating this as party time and venturing out unnecessarily and follow all precautions (high hopes).

Sadly, for a country like ours, there are too many serious issues to deal with for such lockdowns and there will always be apprehensions regarding such decisions as the impact is always widespread.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th May 2020 at 20:51.
paragsachania is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:58   #1860
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The almost desperate need among Governments {Central & State} for -- (i) revenues and (ii) the need to balance numbers getting sick & the fear psychosis vs damage to the poor & need to win the next election are now the driving forces..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I also anticipate a rapid opening up but it will be surreptitious. All the govts (state + center) have created such a fear among the people that they cannot directly say that they will open up and face the consequences of high positive cases. The term "lockdown" also reinforces the idea that the virus is still an existing threat.

So expecting lockdown v4, v5 and so on while on the ground practically it is opened up.
Almost everything that any government does is from a political point of view only. What other point of view is there from where they sit?

I think that the politically expedient thing for anyone in power to do now is to start distancing themselves from the term "lockdown". That term has the potential to become an albatross around their necks come election time.

Speaking from personal experience, I forgave the administration their previous big gaffes. Ineffective as it turned out to be, I forgave demonetization because I felt that it was a bold move at attacking a deep-rooted problem. Also, I felt that it would have been impossible for the administration to foresee all the fallout because there is simply no way to know who is hoarding how much cash.

I also forgave the messy implementation of GST because I felt that it would have been messy had anyone implemented it.

But this!! A massive shutdown of society!! I don't think that you need to be a certified genius to figure out how such a move would play out in an unequal society like India. Still, I was willing to look past lockdown 1.0, seeing as how the government's hand could have been forced by public opinion being shaped by WHO and other agencies who kicked up a huge hype about the disease. But, I am struggling to forgive the administration's stubbornness to not change their positions as time went by. Any way you cut it, this disease is NOT a death sentence to the vast majority of people. Extensions of lockdown (yes, even diluted ones) perpetuates the impression that the disease is super deadly. Time for that to stop. A lockdown is not a binary that you can simply turn on and off with no consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
This is certainly becoming a joke.

Public is fedup and getting impatient. You can sense it so much now.
You bet. Here are some conspicuous markers.

Celebrities - Over the last 3 weeks, there's been a marked absence of Twitter messages from celebrities requesting people to stay indoors, or chastising those who step out. With time, I think every celebrity who values his / her public image has realised that asking people to stay indoors is going to come back to haunt them. We now know that in the cities and towns where they work, large portions of our citizenry just don't have a place in which to "stay in and stay safe".

Industry people - At first it was Rajiv Bajaj (hats off to him, by the way, for showing the gumption to buck the trend). Then it was Narayana Murthy a couple of weeks ago. Today, we finally have Anand Mahindra speaking up for the economy. Incidentally, if you go through his past Twitter feed, you will find that Anand Mahindra is a vocal supporter of the administration. Now, even he feels compelled to speak up against the lockdown, especially at a time when we all think that the economy is slowly opening up. This tells me two things.
a.) Even industrialists who thought that the lockdown was temporary are waking up to the reality that despite all overtures to the contrary, this lockdown may end up being perpetuated to the point of no-return. At the very least, everyone now realizes that a lockdown isn't a binary that you can turn on and off at will with no consequence.

b.) Everyone has done the numbers by now. The infections may be on the rise. But, the death rate of this disease is nowhere near any numbers which would justify the huge collateral damage of a lockdown.
Streaming Services & Social Media - In Lockdown 1.0, Amazon Prime was not streaming content in HD in order to preserve bandwidth. But, now it is. Based on personal experience, I think that the projections for bandwidth usage turned out to be quite inaccurate. Certainly, I watched some Netflix in the first two weeks of the lockdown. But, I cancelled it on April 9th and have not missed it one bit. Between cleaning the house, office work, shepherding kids through their online classes and then helping them with their homework, we have not had any time for Netflix. On most days, only my kids watch TV to keep themselves occupied. The adults are just completely occupied or downright exhausted. Certainly, all the WhatsApp jokes about husbands doing housework are long gone. Those stopped being funny a long time ago.

Quote:
So, no announcements on details of Lockdown 4.0 but indications that it will be completely different from last 3 lockdowns. But yes it will indeed be called a "lockdown".

Biggest announcement being the economic package worth 20 lacs Cr (approx 10% of GDP). MSMEs can have a breather now hopefully.
But, how will this work? On the one hand, we are saying that people should not go out; because that is what a lockdown means essentially. Then, on the other hand, we are saying that we need to revive the economy and here is 20 lac crore to do it. Like someone aptly said here, you are either pregnant or not pregnant. You certainly can't be half pregnant.

Last edited by mohansrides : 12th May 2020 at 21:25.
mohansrides is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed