Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2020, 19:45   #196
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I'm sure they did put out the notices, though how exactly it was implemented in reality, I have no idea. It is possible that they were not taken seriously and remained on a website as "proof" for us look at.
Implementation takes time in a large country as ours. People need to be patient and not expect action in a few hours. There will be hiccups especially since it’s in India (not that other countries are fairing better).

If you or anyone else do feel the implementation or the way the situation was handled was insufficient, by all means, please suggest some methods to the government.
Quote:
I'm also suspicious of this whole "notice" thing - just few days back I came across a cap on the price of sanitizers, masks, ... Kinda late isn't it? And I'm sure this is not being followed either. Then there is this other thing where you show an order from some higher authority to the person on the ground (at a road check-post, for example) and he will claim "I haven't received that notification"!
The cap on prices was put a week ago. Prior to that limits were put on raw materials to manufacture these items which was a decision taken well in advance. Source.
People are being allowed to procure essential commodities without any “order” or so from anyone. All you need to show is that you have indeed purchased those items. Also, I have never come across any report stating that the law enforcers at ground have not received any notification in these times. It would be helpful if you could provide some sources.
Quote:
I know that there are dedicated, intelligent, hardworking individuals in the government administration, and the same goes for politicians; unfortunately it is the collective action of the system we see that matters ultimately to every citizen of India and the nation as a whole.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this. Although, it should also be kept in mind that even citizens need to play their part in this time of crisis as we are also a part of this system.
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 20:24   #197
TRR
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmaj View Post
but the battle was lost when people were brought back from Wuhan, Rome and Qom and left to roam around freely.
They must have been quarantined under authorities observation right from the beginning.
Based on what I could search, I believe these to be misinformation. I could find the following that say otherwise - Wuhan; Rome; Iran

I'm genuinely interested if you have any sources for your statements above, especially with regard to them being "left to roam around freely". Thanks in advance
TRR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 20:51   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
..."No "hindsight" excuses please - But not in one place do you seem to be making any concrete suggestion. Please do enlighten me as to what measures could the government have taken? Dealing with passengers from abroad? ...
Glad you asked!
"Imprisonment", "Detention". Need I explain? Here goes:
What is the result of not preventing this virus from spreading? You see the disaster? Loss of lives - nnnn, monetary losses - n trillions. Please look at what action the government has taken when it wanted to. Neither imprisonment nor detention is something that the government has hesitated from using against ordinary people (or even extraordinary people)

What about that advance warning, you ask? I'm not an epidemiologist, but the moment I saw the news about the Wuhan virus, I knew it would be serious. It would come to India, given past experience with the H1N1. What could a government do? A handful of people could be treated until completely free of the disease and restricted from moving about in the population. The H1N1 spread across the country they way Covid19 is spreading today (only much faster and deadlier) - taken to every corner of India by this "elite" class. I never imagined that the virus would be so deadly or so infectious, but a well trained expert would know. I am sure there are plenty of highly skilled people working for the government - they were certainly ignored when they warned those in power.
About that "elite" remark - I'm not talking about the migrant worker class or the pilgrims to Mecca or whatever. I'm thinking about those literate people who are the who's who of India and also very well informed and very powerful - you know what I mean - they can pull strings, throw their weight around and can basically ignore every rule. In fact, they can bend every rule, including avoiding quarantine.

I'd prefer that we never repeat this import of diseases via travelers for the longest period of time. The kind of person responsible for preventing such occurrences is someone paranoid, and someone who can put his foot down and even shoot dead people (or something equally severe) if his orders are not followed.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:05   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The moment I saw the news about the Wuhan virus, I knew it would be serious
I never imagined that the virus would be so deadly or so infectious
Is there a coherent thought lurking somewhere behind that wall of words?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:15   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Yes. That someone inside government needs to be absolutely paranoid about not letting infected people come in and spread the virus. LOL, sorry about beating around the bush. Should have double checked. At least I didn't let a virus in!

Last edited by mvadg : 28th March 2020 at 21:17.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:17   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad you asked!
"Imprisonment", "Detention". Need I explain? Here goes:
What is the result of not preventing this virus from spreading? You see the disaster? Loss of lives - nnnn, monetary losses - n trillions. Please look at what action the government has taken when it wanted to. Neither imprisonment nor detention is something that the government has hesitated from using against ordinary people (or even extraordinary people)
So you are advocating imprisonment of around 13L people who flew into the country during this period.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th March 2020 at 21:46. Reason: edited
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:20   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
So you are advocating imprisonment of around 13L people who flew in to the country during this period.
Yes. And it is nothing out of the ordinary for our government. Please check the news.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th March 2020 at 21:48. Reason: Quoted post edited.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 23:19   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Warning: Controversial Post

Some may say we are saving lives. Which we should. But it needs to be in the context of how many lives do we think we are saving? Across the globe in 3 months, officially 20k have died. Let's assume India were to lose 40k. Each death is a personal tragedy and I am not belittling that. As per WHO India has ~2.6 million TB patients. Of these roughly 1100 people die because of TB each day. Would you stop the whole nation and spin millions out of employment for that?
We have fairly isolated other diseases and even though numbers are high they are not concentrated any more hence not a visible threat anymore unlike CV which is currently in pandemic state and without cure and it cannot be compared with any other at this point of time. Hence better to err on the side of caution than waiting as has been the case with Italy, Spain and now USA.

I am in complete agreement with giving time to prepare, when Janata Curfew was announced it should have been told that this is a trailer of things to come by and that from Monday to Wed / Thu set things in order and go in lock down from Friday on wards. But I guess it is wishful thinking of us having seen how self grandeur takes prominence over planning and execution as has been the case in the past, now and will be in the future.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th March 2020 at 00:14. Reason: Quote fixed.
Chai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 08:16   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Can someone point me to a tool that can format posts on TBHP better - I find I can hardly comprehend my own posts, like McLaren Rulez said, they are "a wall of text". I struggle to reduce spacing after paragraphs and in doing so end up with...
Old 29th March 2020, 08:36   #205
Team-BHP Support

We cannot go back and change a thing, that’s a fact. Now what needs to be done is most important and we need to plan for future.

It’s high time when the Government involves academicians/ professionals, state CM/ administrators and discuss on some of the options available. Current past actions does not appear to convey Centre- State coordinations.

Involve hands on guys, not just the computer modelling experts or statistician who have limited field experiences or give them the least weightage.

What I can think of is, Zones - Restart state or district vise. No travel outside zones. These zones can be created based on any cases found in these 2-3 weeks. Real-time monitoring in these zones and whenever no fresh cases come beyond certain days/ week open those zones.

Travel outside zones should be possible on need based and strictly monitored, perhaps after 100% tests. Say any truck driver from Delhi going to Mumbai needs to be checked at first border and he should be aware what are the red zones on the way. Or allow companies like safex/ Gati who have better infrastructure to begin with.

Office goers can still work from home but factories can’t be operated without humans and at most places, workers live closer, even inside the factory townships. Let them work.

Keep the other places locked down where there is not much economic activities like villages.

I am sure, experienced guys can contribute much more, I am only worried from the guys who make computer models with zilch practical experiences. Humans are much stronger than just being a variable number in all the calculations.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th March 2020 at 08:43.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 09:13   #206
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Trust our fellow Indians to come up with such nonsense
Quote:
The man, who was travelling to Mumbai with his family claimed that he was a coronavirus patient and asked the police officers to stay away from him when they stopped him during police blockade
Quote:
While speaking to Mumbai Mirror, a police officer said, "The driver told us that he was a COVID-19 patient and warned us to stay away from him. He did not have licence and vehicle-related documents with him. None of them were wearing masks. We did not believe him and took all of them to the police station. Singh admitted that his claim was untrue; it seems he made the claim to avoid police enquiries."
Full Article
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 09:24   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Trust our fellow Indians to come up with such nonsense
I was expecting this to happen much sooner. Very unfortunate and gives us a glimpse of what our cops have to deal with on a daily basis!
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 09:40   #208
BHPian

Quoting self from the other thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
This is a model paper from the CDDEP (The Center For Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy). This model computation shows a near lock down requirement until October in India and the only saving grace is social distancing.
The most optimistic situation to come out of the lock down in July and the worst around October. And I'm confident that this lock down will get extended.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 11:42   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Thank you Sir. I think I got my answer.

I am a Doctor, but first a human being, so let me keep aside the medicine for sometime. My observation is that - this notorious virus is breeding and spreading faster on the grounds of "inhumanity" rather than its own "infective power". So, good luck to the mankind, no wonder this virus has been unleashed
Dr. Vivek, We are fortuitous to have selfless professionals like you serving the physical community and the virtual community at a time like this. God bless you. From what little I see in the community health work I do (as a social worker) this problem might (I say might) be a lot deeper, in India, than the official numbers put out thus far.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 12:56   #210
BHPian

It is not just people of cities needing patience; that they indeed should be patient goes without saying.

Implementation will take time, especially in a country with large and dense population.

But among the poor, and especially among the urban poor, the lockdown has brought immense hardships, and the govts should be ready to address them and facilitate their needs. That is also equally an important part of ensuring that through this lockdown period, we successfully sail across the difficult pandemic.

See how in the last four days thousands of migrant labourers started leaving the megacity. That too walking... it took almost four days for the respective state govts to act. With this appearing so much in the media, finally yesterday UPSRTC has provided 1000 buses to ferry them to the nearest points to their villages/hometowns. Besides, people are travelling even on rooftops of vehicles, lorries carrying gas cylinders etc. We can wish that this does not result in any spread of the virus in the villages.

The success of the lockdown is more than a matter of people of cities needing patience; that they indeed should be patient goes without saying.

Implementation will take time, especially in a country with large and dense population that has huge income disparities and class inequalities.

But among the poor, and especially among the urban poor, the lockdown has brought immense hardships, and the govts should be ready to address them and facilitate for their needs. That is also equally an important part of ensuring that through this lockdown period, we successfully sail across the difficult pandemic.

See how in the last four days thousands of migrant laborers started leaving the megacity. That too, on foot!... From Delhi to Allahabad, and so on! It has taken almost four days for the respective state govts to act. We need to listen to what women, in particular, among the laborers had to say about the offers made by govts to provide them food etc. With this problem appearing so much in the media, finally yesterday UPSRTC has been ordered to provide 1000 buses to ferry them to the nearest points to their villages/hometowns. Besides, people are travelling even on rooftops of vehicles, lorries carrying gas cylinders etc. We can wish that this does not result in any spread of the virus in the villages. So far, villages have remained unaffected, and it is one point of great relief.

With all these, what matters finally is whether we will be able to contain Covid-19 from entering the 3rd stage of spread here. That can be said after about another 10 days...and then only we will be able to evaluate the lockdown. Now, the important point will be to make the lockdown as "complete" as possible, and as early as possible, and for accomplishing these objectives, we should urgently put in all the means, including the means of taking the labourers to their native places.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th March 2020 at 18:23. Reason: Back to back posts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks