Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2020, 17:05   #976
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
the more pedantic one becomes about symantics.

A spade is a spade. Whats wrong in calling it that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Anyway this is just semantics.
Over time the semantics have a tendency to take a semantic shift!

There's reason why few words are used with great caution or almost not at all - retarded; negro; nazi; etc.

Over time a negative connotation gets attached with them and if one happens to work with folks from different countries, cultures, traditions, etc, there is very natural learning that keeps the decorum, sense of people skills, a matured emotional intelligence coming across in, among other things, the choice of words used for communication.

Along those lines, the word 'migrant' is totally harmless (and a spade)...however, keeping with the growing sentiment around it, many people may find that it's best avoided in favor of neutral and respectful communication.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 17:26   #977
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Constitution of India 1949, Article 19, Section 1, clause (d), (e) and (g) says everything that needs to be said on the subject.
Perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Over time the semantics have a tendency to take a semantic shift!
There's reason why few words are used with great caution or almost not at all - retarded; negro; nazi; etc.
Very true. Difficult to hide behind semantics when called out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Please note that even when Trump rants about migrants, he is talking about people traveling from overseas to the USA - not about Americans from Oklahoma who move to New York. Freedom of movement is fundamental to the construct of a Nation State, hell it is even fundamental to a Supranational body like the European Union.
Anything they do, we can do better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Hope we can rest the migrant related discussion here. Let's focus on the Lock Down and related issues. Peace and good health to all.
Agreed. Moving away.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd April 2020 at 05:54. Reason: Quoted post deleted, removing related response. Thank you!
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 17:30   #978
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
Hi,

I hope you and your family are safe and well.

I want to share an incident that just happened. It might be beneficial to others.

I am located in Kolkata, West Bengal and our state is in full lockdown. For the last two days, my father has been having chest pain. He has never had this before. Never had any complications related to heart and is a non-smoker. We contacted our family doctor and he asked us not to take any chances and to take him to the hospital. I immediately call the Kolkata Traffic police to ask if I was allowed to drive my car with my parents to the hospital. The traffic police officer said that I was allowed to go since it was a case of emergency and there wouldn't be a problem.

Since something like this has never happened to anyone in our family, we were worried and panicked. We left for the hospital immediately, but upon reaching there we realised that a few important papers of insurance and others were left back at home in a folder. So I left mom with dad and drove back home, picked up the folder and was on my way back to the hospital when a group of Howrah Traffic police stopped me.

I got out and showed them the hospital admission papers as well as the insurance papers as a proof that I was not out on a joy ride or any other reason than immediate emergency. The police men didn't listen to anything, they asked for my driver’s licence and started ignoring the documents I was showing them. I repeatedly told them that this is a case of emergency and I need to get there with the papers to which the police replied "I don't care if your father dies or lives, I will seize your car." When he said this, I broke down. I am 21 years old and have never been in a situation like this. I got in the car and couldn't stop crying.

After around 5 minutes, I got out, tried to talk to other police officer and told him that this whole thing was unfair. Then that one policeman spoke to others and the one who took my licence, returned it to me saying, “It doesn't matter. Even if I allow, you would be stopped again multiple times. I was literally shaking. I sat in the car for maybe a minute or so to control myself just so that I could drive back.

Then I drove, a little faster than usual (I shouldn't do this), but I reached the hospital without any more problem. My father is currently undergoing tests and I have my fingers crossed. But, this was unacceptable. I can't believe this happened. I wrote a mail to the commissioner of traffic police about this incident and hope a situation like this doesn't happen with anyone else.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 19th April 2020 at 17:33.
Aditya is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 17:40   #979
BHPian

Quote:
True. Not just software engineers - every person working in Bangalore at any level who is not from Karnataka is essentially a migrant worker having migrated either in the current or earlier generation.
Why stop there? why not say every one working in Bangalore who is not from Bangalore is a migrant worker. Tomorrow one can also have an argument that a person from Mangalore who speaks Tulu , if working in Bangalore becomes a Migrant worker.

As other pointed already, I totally agree, that one should not be called a migrant in home Country.
INJAXN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 18:43   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
What is wrong with that?
Definitely nothing at all for him to be ashamed of.
Such migrants are the backbone of many economies.

Or should they be called 'guest workers', or 'non indigenous citizens'? Does that sound more respectful?
How about "cheap labour," which from the employers' point of view is one reason for the migration.

Having said that, a bird that migrates is no better or worse than one that does not. It is a descriptive word. But it has, lately, had political spin put on it. We can still use the word without the spin. I don't think it is disrespectful.

Quote:
Anyway this is just semantics. The main protagonists don't care what you call them as long as they have work, a place to stay and are paid.
Haha, true... within limits. None of us want to be called something negatively, especially as a generalisation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 19:16   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Kerala opens specific segments to operate with guided plans for immediate service requirements of customers who have volunteered in helping fight the Coronavirus pandemic.

This includes doctors, nurses, healthcare workers, bank employees and law enforcers. All service workshops will strictly follow social distancing norms and other safety precautions for the wellbeing of the customers.

The workshops will be open on Thursdays and Sundays from 10am to 5pm.

Quote:
Over 50 two-wheeler outlets will be working twice a week adhering to the Kerala government guidelines for immediate service requirements of customers who have volunteered in helping fight the Coronavirus pandemic.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 19:41   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this.
Bangalore police took custody of my friend's car when he went out to bring couple of water cans. He had to pay bribe (1000 Rupees) to get his car back. Looks like police were also issuing passes to people who are not part of essential services during lockdown.
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 21:45   #983
BHPian

Just read the news that Telangana has extended the lockdown till 7th May 2020. Also there will be no relaxation from the existing norms. Here I was hoping there maybe a few relaxations from tomorrow.

https://telanganatoday.com/lockdown-...7-in-telangana

I just pray that the lockdown is not extended any further.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 07:35   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
A simple question to the learned members, who have been regularly contributing here: is the lock-down showing distinct positive results, at a local and national level?

Is there a simple measurement criteria that establishes the answer (positive or negative) ? Or is this going to stir another hornets' nest?

Of all the opinions, counter opinions, facts and snippets, this is the only question that still remains unanswered, especially with >60% of the privileged community voting FOR the lock-down.
There is no cohesive strategy in India's fight against Covid19. Except a commonality of lockdown, in which each state seems over eager to show how strict they are in either increasing the severity or in increasing the duration or both.
Again all of this with zero checks on implementation (as seen from a former PM/CM's son getting married with over 600 "close family" with zero social distancing).
What is the purpose of this lockdown when people in illegal slums live cheek by jowl, keep visiting each other's houses and gathering together socially? How many tests are actually being conducted? Where is the data which bifurcates the infections are phase3 or occuring from those already infected? Keeping people at home, destroying the economy and forcing people off livelihood and yet having no control or strategy to contain ever increasing numbers makes no sense. However I expect nothing more from a creaky british era system intended to help the rulers more than the ruled.
AirbusCapt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 07:53   #985
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
A simple question to the learned members, who have been regularly contributing here: is the lock-down showing distinct positive results, at a local and national level?
With any contagious disease, lockdown will surely show positive results. If a disease spreads from person to person, then the lesser people meet each other, the lesser the chance of the spreading. I don't think there was any question about that all. But that's just a delaying tactic & not a solution to the problem. Unless the plan is to have a year long lockdown or unless the hot summer wipes out the virus. Morgan Stanley postulated that rolling lockdowns may go down well in 2021.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 08:48   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't it obvious that this event, is sort of killing humanity? I mean humanity, not human beings

Have we reached a point where all we can do is criticize and debate over political correctness and pick on things we have literally, ZERO control over? The lockdown postponement rumours get a wild reaction from people who then go on to predict doomday (I did that too), the lockdown lifting has even more people crying, screaming in order to stop that, fearing, again, doomsday. All that and we also become renegade armchair journalists, doling out our opinions on who can go out and who shouldn't.

I won't lie, I was responding to and inhaling such toxicity too, until I realized we're all basically thrown to sea now. The powerful people will always, always be comfortable no matter what, I've seen far less powerful people use a pass for no reason to roam around, leave alone a man who is at least 100x more connected than them, no wonder he pulled off that event.

This toxicity isn't good for us or our health, there are literally videos that show that when the limbic brain which operates out of fear, anxiety, survival and anger, when activated for a large part, will restrict blood flow into our brain and organs, and increase it to the hands and legs, you see limbic system is a paleomammalian programming, obsessed with just one motive - make it out alive. This causes untold pressure on our body, the WBC generation goes into overdrive and causes production of inflammatory leukocytes, leading to a cytokine storm (basically the anti-bodies going nuts and firing all cylinders leading to destruction of body).

I've learnt to let go and reconcile pretty rapidly, 30 minutes of sunlight, if possible a quick walk around the society, watching anything but news on television and ignoring newspapers altogether has helped us not only pass time but also be less stressful. Society needs patient, understanding and kind people more than ever, today.

Let go, breathe, and keep the head above water. Stop worrying about what others are doing and focus on your contributions. This coming from quite an impatient, anxious guy myself.
dark.knight is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 09:56   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I've learnt to let go and reconcile pretty rapidly, 30 minutes of sunlight, if possible a quick walk around the society, watching anything but news on television and ignoring newspapers altogether has helped us not only pass time but also be less stressful.
+1

Can vouch for the sunlight bit, was feeling very down last week, went out and caught 20 minutes of afternoon sun and my mood just lifted. Also stayed away from news over the weekend, and felt very positive after that!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:45   #988
BHPian

Drastic increase in traffic on Mumbai roads since 2 days. Toll collection begins from today.

@Airoli toll
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img_20200420_092518.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:04   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
There is no cohesive strategy in India's fight against Covid19. Except a commonality of lockdown, in which each state seems over eager to show how strict they are in either increasing the severity or in increasing the duration or both.
What is the purpose of this lockdown when people in illegal slums live cheek by jowl, keep visiting each other's houses and gathering together socially? How many tests are actually being conducted? Where is the data which bifurcates the infections are phase3 or occuring from those already infected? Keeping people at home, destroying the economy and forcing people off livelihood and yet having no control or strategy to contain ever increasing numbers makes no sense. However I expect nothing more from a creaky british era system intended to help the rulers more than the ruled.
Here is an article that perfectly matches-

https://epaper.timesgroup.com/Olive/...8E5&mode=text#

Snippet:

Forget caution, India should rapidly ease the Covid shutdown to revive the economy. Otherwise it may suffer the worst of both worlds — economic collapse without checking the virus.
Nalin1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:38   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
when the limbic brain which operates out of fear, anxiety, survival and anger, when activated for a large part, will restrict blood flow into our brain and organs, and increase it to the hands and legs, you see limbic system is a paleomammalian programming, obsessed with just one motive - make it out alive. This causes untold pressure on our body, the WBC generation goes into overdrive and causes production of inflammatory leukocytes, leading to a cytokine storm (basically the anti-bodies going nuts and firing all cylinders leading to destruction of body).
Perhaps I am going through the same while dealing with my 3-yr old during this lock down.

The only "happy hours" are when he is asleep between 14:00 - 17:00 hrs.

There is no TV time - YouTube Kids is ON all day.

If I need to watch anything, I make use of my desktop monitor, with a DVI to HDMI cable plugged in to set top box, without sound.

But neither me nor my spouse are frowning - as the kid is hardly aware of what's happening in the outside world; in fact more than anything else I am thankful to him that he is not insisting on stepping out of the house every day, as was the case pre-lockdown.

Agreed that our BP goes up multiple times during the day when he throws around my laptop or tosses a ball right into the fan or pours water/moisturizing lotion on the track pad or litters the hand-wash in the name of washing his hands or opens the refrigerator and leaves it open until me/spouse realize, and tons of other things - however, all this has instilled more patience in adults in our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Internal circulars indicate govt to lift lockdown by mid-June
Business Standard | 19/04/2020 |
I happen to know an Asst. Drugs Controller, Govt. of Karnataka (can't specify what districts he is in-charge of for privacy reasons).

2 weeks ago he indicated that the lockdown may well go into June because "it is required". I didn't ask him what he meant by the quoted part as he is extremely busy right now, but knowing him well I am sure the Government has a lot on it's hands to deal with.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 20th April 2020 at 12:05.
Safety is Param is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks