Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 18:28   #1366
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

MHA has extended Nationwide lockdown by 2 weeks.

Green zones to have some relaxation. People between age group 1-25 and above 60 are to stay home.
More information awaited on this.

Last edited by INJAXN : 1st May 2020 at 18:34. Reason: Removed incorrect URL
Old 1st May 2020, 18:39   #1367
Team-BHP Support

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
MHA has extended Nationwide lockdown by 2 weeks.

Green zones to have some relaxation. People between age group 1-25 and above 60 are to stay home.
More information awaited on this.
Seems to be confirmed news. Business Standard reports the same here - https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0100272_1.html and most TV channels are covering the same now.

Quote:
MHA also issued new guidelines to regulate different activities in this period, based on the risk profiling of the districts of the country in Red (hotspot), Green and Orange Zones. The guidelines have permitted considerable relaxations in the districts falling in the Green and Orange Zones

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st May 2020 at 18:42.
Old 1st May 2020, 18:47   #1368
BHPian

Lockdown extended by two weeks.Attaching notification from MHA.
Fordlover88 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 18:50   #1369
Senior - BHPian

I wasn't expecting this extension in Karnataka, to be honest. If they're sacrificing the economy (short term) for Covid concerns, the situation 'on ground' must be pretty alarming. Far more than they are telling us. Extending the lockdown by two more weeks definitely means more misery, but I guess the bitter pill must be swallowed.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 18:56   #1370
BHPian

Good step. It is commendable that India controlled the outbreak. Most countries will use the next 2 weeks to strategize the opening of the economy. Glad to see India in the list. Also, it is great that the IR has started special trains for migrant workers. Most places now have working kitchens for serving free food.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st May 2020 at 19:08. Reason: Removed the irrelevant bits.
Nissan1180 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:05   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
Honestly, this is much more relaxed than I was expecting even in Red zones .
DigitalOne is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:08   #1372
BHPian

I request the moderators to please reset the polls and have the community vote again. After more than 40 days since the lockdown, our elected government has decided for another 2 week extension. I would very much like to see how many people continue to support this strategy.
Personally, I was never in favour of a complete lockdown. A 15 day lockdown to create isolation wards such as the one constructed in Mumbai, but on a far greater scale nationwide would have been an apt approach towards increasing your isolation capacity and not causing a massive economic downturn. This approach would have allowed the young and healthy to resume work and we as a society would've been required to take special and extreme care of the elderly. Furthermore, I was reading the hill yesterday where it was pointed out that the actual number of hospitalizations in California were far lower than predicted even when modelled with a stay at home order. I do not think my judgement is best but my belief that the economic downturn of such a long National lockdown would be far worse on the majority of people is shared by many economists and even healthcare professionals. As law abiding citizens, we all continue to comply with whatever the government says/does, but I really do wish to understand the methodology behind this decision making. How will these extra 2 weeks of lockdown change the situation in any significant way?

Last edited by dealer : 1st May 2020 at 19:10.
dealer is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:08   #1373
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
If the lock down continues like this, many media houses will wind up as advertising revenue has gone down, that’s one real positive effect of this virus infection.
Really? I thought that the revenues would be up, as now nobody has anything to do, so everybody just sits at home and watches news.
Old 1st May 2020, 19:19   #1374
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Honestly, this is much more relaxed than I was expecting even in Red zones .
Agree. This is definitely the first step in relaxing the lockdown.

They have demarcated zones and specifically mentions activities in different zones. They are even allowing local buses with 50% capacity in green zones.

The blanket shutdown only applies to educational institutions, long distance travel, hospitality industry, etc.

It mentions 33% employees in Govt, IT and other commercial offices. How are they going to enforce this? Also e-Commerce can still deliver only essential goods but standalone shops can open up for non-essentials as well?

Last edited by m8002? : 1st May 2020 at 19:39.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:19   #1375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post
And the formal MHA order.
itwasntme is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:21   #1376
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
As law abiding citizens, we all continue to comply with whatever the government says/does, but I really do wish to understand the methodology behind this decision making. How will these extra 2 weeks of lockdown change the situation in any significant way?
Only the famous dialogue by Joker suits the current situation “Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just *do* things.”
The Rationalist is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:29   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Really? I thought that the revenues would be up, as now nobody has anything to do, so everybody just sits at home and watches news.
Well, where do media companies get the majority of their revenue from? My guess would be ads. But why would companies going through some of the worst market conditions in living memory spend on ads when people can't buy anything?

Something like Netflix (other streaming companies, online platforms etc.) can continue to pay for ads since they are making money at this time.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2020 at 22:29. Reason: Spacing.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:30   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Calling this a lockdown will be wrong terminology I guess.
Sounds unbelievable, at least after reading the pdf. Red zones now have more freedom than what green zones had in lockdown 2.0, with non-essentials shops allowed to open (except malls), 2 in a car, no pillion on a bike, Offices allowed to open at 33% staffing.

Why do they even call it a lockdown.

How it is implemented in real life is what matters. If it happens as listed in the document, I will be delighted. But I am not sure they will allow so much freedom in reality.
Where I stay, its a comedy everyday. Some days you hear shops are allowed from 10-2, then suddenly 10-12, once after reaching for milk at 10:30 and found them closing shop, i was told that from that day, timing changed to 6-10. Only for the past 10 days or so, it is stable at 10-12

Lets see. Will know in a couple more days.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 1st May 2020 at 19:34.
vinit.merchant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:30   #1379
TRR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
After more than 40 days since the lockdown, our elected government has decided for another 2 week extension. I would very much like to see how many people continue to support this strategy.
Personally, I was never in favour of a complete lockdown.

-snip-

As law abiding citizens, we all continue to comply with whatever the government says/does, but I really do wish to understand the methodology behind this decision making. How will these extra 2 weeks of lockdown change the situation in any significant way?
Sir, please do take the time out and go through the extension notification.

Significant relaxations have been given even in the areas highlighted as Red Zones, including opening of Private Establishments and offices (of course not with full capacity). Reading through paragraphs 8, 9 and 10 will give a much better idea of the extent of relaxations specifically in the Red Zones.

The only things still under full lockdown throughout the country are, quoting from the extension notification, -

Quote:
- These include travel by air, rail, metro and inter-State movement by road; running of schools, colleges, and other educational and training/ coaching institutions; hospitality services, including hotels and restaurants; places of large public gatherings, such as cinema halls, malls, gymnasiums, sports complexes etc; social, political, cultural and other kinds of gatherings; and, religious places/ places of worship for public.

- movement of individuals, for all non-essential activities, shall remain strictly prohibited between 7 pm to 7 am.

- persons above 65 years of age, persons with co-morbidities, pregnant women, and children below the age of 10 years, shall stay at home, except for meeting essential requirements and for health purposes.
The days of the complete 100% strict national lockdown are past us. They've allowed more leeway than most of us expected. Should definitely be sufficient to get the wheels of the economy churning again.

Green zones, for all intents and purposes, are practically open completely apart from the restrictions above.

I think the biggest issue here is with the use of the word "lockdown". They should have gone the Singapore route of calling it as a "Circuit Breaker" or the Bangladesh way of "Holiday". Not criticizing anyone here, but I find it amusing how people rushed to clarify the difference between other countries' lockdown relaxations and our strict one earlier in this thread, but now insist that India is still under full lockdown even after they've opened it up significantly.
TRR is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:44   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
Sir, please do take the time out and go through the extension notification.

Significant relaxations have been given even in the areas highlighted as Red Zones, including opening of Private Establishments and offices (of course not with full capacity). Reading through paragraphs 8, 9 and 10 will give a much better idea of the extent of relaxations specifically in the Red Zones.
Sir, while I agree that there have been several relaxations made in red zones etc. I fail to see a complete strategy of how to the government is going to tackle this issue. Let me just point out a couple of problems i have with the current notification:
1. Suppose a current green zone, after the relaxation starts to report new coronavirus cases. Does that zone now become red again? Isn't this a constant cycle that can severely hinder working?
2. In red zones, they have allowed offices to work at 33% capacity, but have mentioned that retail stores in malls, complexes etc. would not be allowed to open. If a business can not do its retail functions what will they do in there offices?
3. Only delivery of essential goods are allowed in red zones through ecommerce. How does that make any sense? Are you attempting to reduce contact points by reducing deliveries? What would delaying deliveries by two weeks make any difference.
These are just some of the gripes I have with the current plan.
dealer is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed