Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2020, 15:39   #1456
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There's more.

1. Who exactly will we trace?

If we only trace known infections and their contact circle, it won't be effective.

Without widespread testing for asymptomatic virus carriers who are and will be the largest infection vector, the whole point of getting this stringent about tracing, right now, is moot.

Poor RoI at this moment, so the time/money/effort is best spent on more tangible outcomes (healthcare and infra the top priorities right now) and the idea can be revisited later once we have more data to work with.
I agree with most of what you said but i'm not concerned about the efficacy of the app(which can only be measured by the Govt) all that much rather than its privacy implications.

Seeing how things stands, anything more than having 30% of the active smartphone population using this app would be a pipe dream and then even this 30% will only cover maybe the top 40% of the economically well off citizens from the sample set. But in my opinion, there's not much to gain by mining data for the rest of the 60% population, many of whom may be living under dire straits.

So while this may have a poor RoI in its stated objective, the paper that i cited alludes us to read between the lines to ponder if there are other "returns" expected out of this.

Not sure what to make of that.
theMandarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 15:49   #1457
Team-BHP Support

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post

So while this may have a poor RoI in its stated objective, the paper that i cited alludes us to read between the lines to ponder if there are other "returns" expected out of this.

Not sure what to make of that.
My point is, it's impractical both from a logistics perspective for the 'stated' objective AND it will be tied up in litigation for the 'unstated' bit (if one wants to be paranoid about govt. intentions) because it's essentially surveillance with no option to opt out.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:10   #1458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

When there was full lockdown, How migrants were not able to go home.

When trains were arranged for migrants, then the same set of people are jumping up and down about how there is a risk of infection spreading and how this should have been done earlier and how this is the wrong way of doing it.
Can any of you guys tell what’s good about arranging trains and opening up restrictions together now when the counts are so high? Nothing except but fear of political repercussions.

Even small kids can tell that both should not be done together. Either they should have sent people home when everything was closed or don’t open things for few more days now.

Quote:
All talk and no real solutions. I am yet to see someone actually propose a viable solution in all these pages where we have cribbed.
What solutions, as if someone is going to actually read this thing or for that matter anywhere and take feedback. People here are cribbing as they can’t do anything else.

They have got themselves into such a position that even state governments are not sure what’s going to happen if they follow Central advice.

Have you seen how Haryana, which is ruled by same party has sealed borders with Delhi?Punjab is continuing curfew with only 4 hour relaxations. You will find more examples of you go through the news.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:14   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
...whether lockdown is necessary or not.

Anyone prescribing herd immunity should expose themselves to the virus, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Well said. Not sure how many 'Free the economy' warriors will actually do that.
As someone who is not really enthusiastic about the lockdown, let me explain my point of view (and I'm sure others against the lock-down will have a similar view).
  1. All we are saying is - put yourself in the shoes of those that do not have the luxury of being "locked in" - all those daily wage earners living hand-to-mouth. Similar to what you are suggesting, can we request those supporting the lock-down to set aside all their bank accounts, shelter, comforts and every worldly possession and walk the streets without food and shelter and no money for a week and obey the lock-down command? Would you be prepared to die for saving the those sitting comfortably at home with food, shelter and entertainment?
  2. Lock-down is a solution from the affluent countries, do we have a system of social welfare that will give everyone a good chance of getting through this for six months with reasonable comfort? Shouldn't we think about the consequences of a lock-down instead of copying a solution that is mostly inappropriate to the reality of India?
  3. What changed with a lock-down of about 3 weeks? Are we sure that a majority of us will survive and get treatment now? Wasn't that the premise of the lock-down?

Last edited by mvadg : 2nd May 2020 at 16:16.
mvadg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:19   #1460
Senior - BHPian

In line with the directives of the Central government, Government of Karnataka too has come up with its own set of rules to be followed in the upcoming days. Two things - the insistence on use of Arogya Setu app and the provision to easily prosecute violators ring alarm bells for me.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img_20200502_160658.jpg

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img_20200502_160740.jpg

(Complete order is attached as PDF)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RD 158 TNR 2020 dated 02 05 2020 Order.pdf (4.69 MB, 301 views)
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:28   #1461
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
Let me phrase my reply in the same manner as yours.

"US, Sweden, Turkey, are you serious?

The country sizes are so diverse that a logical comparison to India cannot be made. Also they have a more even spread of per capita income relatively speaking. Also their combined population is still much lesser than India's combined population."

See. If NZ was illogical, how are US, Turkey and Sweden logical just because they didn't implement a lockdown? If we're cutting out certain countries, let's cut all of them out, as simple as that.
I have no problem with cutting out all comparisons. Right from the start, my position has been that the lockdown as a measure is simply not appropriate for our country and our society.

Quote:
Also, please note that I never suggested that we follow the same approach as them. Just that the lockdown as a strategy has worked at least in one place.
Of course, the lockdown has worked in a few places. In fact, I would say that in relative terms, the lockdown has helped even here in curtailing the spread. No question. But, at the risk of repeating myself, let me ask again. At what cost? As of now, while we are busy quantifying disease in terms of infections and deaths, we have zero data on the cost of the mitigation effort. How many jobs lost in the near and long term? How many lives lost in the near and long term? How many people pushed into abject poverty?

A lockdown is like running and jumping into your foxhole to get immediate cover. But, once you are in the foxhole, you have to strategize and find a way to get out of there to survive by beating or outrunning the enemy. Any solution you come up with will involve exposing yourself to danger. Sure you may not make it if you break cover. But, you will definitely not make it if you remain in that foxhole.

To be clear, the lockdown itself is not the core problem. The problem is the fear that sparked the lockdown. If we do not combat that fear, we are done for good.

Quote:
The same can't be said for herd immunity, which you are professing as the best strategy.
Yes, I did mention herd immunity a few times. And I do think it could work. Certainly, there have been some recent statements from health experts about how the disease can only be contained when 70% of the world has been exposed along with developed individual immunities. But, let us set that aside for a minute. Because as of yet, you are right about the fact that we don't know for sure if herd immunity works.

So, let me clarify what I was really trying to say:

I don't have a solution for Covid. But, I do know that a lockdown isn't one in the long term.

So in effect, WHETHER OR NOT HERD IMMUNITY HAPPENS; WHETHER OR NOT THERE IS EVER A VACCINE, WHETHER OR NOT WE DEVELOP MORE EFFECTIVE TESTING METHODS, WHETHER OR NOT A THOUSAND OTHER FACTORS, THE TRUTH IS THAT THE ODDS ARE COMPLETELY AGAINST US WITH THIS DISEASE IF WE LOOK FOR SOLUTIONS. SO, THE ONLY REAL CHOICE WE HAVE IS TO ACCEPT RISK AND PLOUGH FORWARD AS A SOCIETY. ELSE IT WILL SURELY BE THE DEATH OF ALL OF US AT THE HANDS OF A THOUSAND OTHER MALADIES.

Here is another thought for you. Whether herd immunity exists or not, if everyone gets this virus, then everyone has this virus. At least at that point, we can dispense with utterly nonsensical measures like social distancing which are completely unrealistic, not only in India, but especially in India. Just for starters, if we are to socially distance, how many buses and trains do we have to run to transport people in our crowded country? Already our highways and railway infrastructure is choked to capacity. If we go by this rule of only so many people in a bus or a train, we will have to run 10 times as many buses and trains as we do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Thank you for the reply. Hopefully the links I shared made some sense. The initial post was to find how the herd immunity suggested would help in any way. I never mentioned anything about a " lockdown forever ".
Good that you clarified. I thought you were alluding to an indefinite lockdown. My bad then.

Quote:
Never said that. Again, you should read what was posted. I asked if you prefer lives over economy? Which was not answered but rather avoided.
I actually prefer the economy. Because an economy is not an abstract concept in my head. It consists of real people who work to earn money to feed their families. In the absence of a real economy, we won't have much life left. Also, let me further clarify that while sectors like IT and ITES are revenue generators, they are not the real economy. The real economy is where people produce something tangible off this earth for other people consume. That could be in agriculture or in manufacturing or even in the arts (like our cinema). IT and ITES are merely enablers. The real revenue gernerators existed long before IT and ITES became mainstays.

But ironically, it is IT and ITES sectors that are most amenable to social distancing and WFH. Almost every other sector of the economy (where something tangible is created to create value) is possible only when people work together in close quarters to some extent. If we insist on cowering in the corner for fear of this virus, almost every human activity will become virtually impossible.

Quote:
How are you sure that our hospitals will not be burdened if we open up fully?
Maybe it is now your turn to go back and read my posts. When did I ever say that our hospitals would not be burdened? They will absolutely be burdened. One way or another that is going to be the case.

Guys.... today I had to step out to get groceries. This is something that I have done routinely at the same spot for a decade at least. But, I have experienced nothing like what happened today.

As soon as I parked the car, a kid ran up to me and tapped me on the window. I lowered it a crack and reached for some change on my dashboard. He said no. He gestured toward the supermarket and said, "kuch kharidke do na". I said ok. After that, I had to wait in queue for 45 minutes. By the time, I finally made it into the market, I had forgotten about the kid.

But, that kid had not forgotten about me. I exited the market nearly 2 hours after he had knocked on my car window. As I walked back to the car, he came running and held out his hand. At that point, I realized that I had not bought anything for him specifically. Thankfully, I had grabbed three or four handfuls of Rs. 5 Perk chocolates for my kids; mainly to keep them quiet when they get really restless. So, I dipped into my bag and came up with a handful of those chocolates and offered it to the boy in front of me. Immediately, five others came running to me. And not one of them would settle for just money. They all wanted what was in my grocery bag. If I had given them the bag of atta that I had, they would have gladly taken it. Instead, I gave them the rest of the chocolates and left that place in a state of shock. I tell you, it was unlike anything I had seen. When did money become useless to these people? When it doesn't buy them what they need at that very moment, that's when.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2020 at 06:51. Reason: Typos.
mohansrides is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:49   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Are they allowing ecommerce delivery of non essential items now. I really hope they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am not a 100% sure yet but I don't think so...
Sir, Just saw this article in my feed
https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/techno...425-2020-05-01

When I read the notification yesterday there wasn't any reference to the sale of non essentials through e-commerce websites in green and orange zones.

It might be updated now. Please check if it's applicable to your current location.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:50   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
When all this is over, I would like you to please come to my house for a meal. I mean this 100%. So consider this to be my official invitation. Not so much because you are a Covid warrior; but because you belong to that set of doctors who have their eye on the big picture.
Many thanks for your kind and generous invitation, its very nice of you and your family I began thinking of the bigger picture after first hand experience of examining a lot of asymptomatic covid patients and at the same time seeing the plight of non-covid patients suffering due to shutting/scaling down of many hospitals in Mumbai. Existing hospitals are doing their best and functioning beyond capacity at times. Mumbai is the worst hit region in the entire country going by the numbers but 2 out of 3 covid patients are still asymptomatic, they run an uneventful course in the hospital and there is a big chunk of them eating up the hospital space. However, the local administrative bodies have finally started waking up to this fact and revising their protocols. So, I am in full support with the Govt as long as they think and act rationally.

At the beginning of the lockdown when this virus had just entered India, we were all clueless about this novel virus and how this covid picture would pan out in India. We were apprehensive looking at Italy. Also, we were told, this lockdown would buy time to augment the healthcare infrastructure. But what has been achieved in reality after 1.5 months ?? The total number of functioning hospitals in a medically advanced metropolis like Mumbai has gone down significantly. Cardiac ambulances in the city are turning away patient requests because of this covid scare. So where are we after 1.5 months into this lockdown ?? Whats the official update regarding the situation of Indian healthcare ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
What are your views about the people being transported in Trains? Although no one can predict, but this may cause the single largest spike if recent examples of the pilgrims returning from Maharashtra to Punjab are any sign.
I read about one train that ran yesterday from Telangana. Did they really run one from Mumbai as well ?? Yes, this may cause a spike in the cases and spread to towns and villages. But as long as the clinical profile is mild, people should worry less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

This overzealous approach is what is hampering the overall process.No one really knows about the actual situation and keeps going on extending the lockdown. We had ample time to ramp up the facilities from January itself, the health minister till March 15 was saying that COVID is not a thing to worry and few days later we were in a lockdown !

This collateral damage is much much more than the damage by COVID itself. Normal patients who need regular systematic treatment( one whom I personally knew and died because of no regular dialysis) are in dire straits. And each day, the horrific stories of migrant workers walking and dying makes one very sad.

Thanks for saying the last line, gives us strength.

Regards.
True that. Sorry to hear about that patient of yours who died because of renal failure.

Quote:
Hi doctor, after your posts, I was curious as to Sweden's method of dealing with this pandemic. So I googled a bit and was surprised to see that their CFR is worse than the USA and is the worst among the Nordic countries.

Is there any specific reason why you still want Sweden's model to work. Attaching a few observations below.
Hello

I don't know whether it will work and I am not professing Sweden strategy as the best strategy. I have lauded Germany and South Korea and Kerala for their successes but all of them had one thing in common -large scale testing. Germany eased lockdown a bit and there was quite a spike but that was expected. So, as the top epidemiology epxert in Sweden who is the main person behind their model asks a valid question - Its easy go into lockdown but - when and most importantly, how do you plan to exit lockdown because the virus is likely to resurface ?? Immunity either by vaccine or herd is an answer, so if Sweden is taking a different route, why can't we be hopeful and wish good luck for them.

Besides, no one knows which is the best strategy to fight this novel virus but what we know is that herd immunity is a well established concept in medical science and whether this works with Sars-Cov2 virus will be ascertained only when someone dares to venture out and find it, for the larger benefit of mankind with many unfortunate sacrifices to be made. So, if Sweden has decided to do that, I respect their courage and determination. Also, Sweden is emphasising more on safe practices, life over there too is not completely normal as it used to be pre-covid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post

Now about people dying, accept the fact lives of human beings are not equal anywhere. Western countries have airlifted their citizens during this lockdown from India, did we bring anyone of our own? Are they some kind of inferior Indians? We lose more than 3000 per day to smoking, around 600 per day to alcohol and its effects, why not outright ban that? We will save 1 million lives a year and more will live longer. The medical infrastructure will be relieved off a big burden. That’s not practical either, it won’t be banned in our lifetimes. So the government is accepting that 1 million Indians dying a year is not a priority, rather they will take that money and spend on ‘Welfare’.
Doc, I totally agree with your views and this coming from an Intensivist like you gives me reassurance about my own beliefs.

Quote:

The way I feel, it's just a start and unless something turns up differently for us (BCG/ Heat or some medicines) we haven't yet seen the peak, flattening is a distant dream. It should not surprise us if all these efforts of past 40 days goes waste if these people are carrying the infections and by then, I am not sure how will our medical/ support system copeup.
True that, flattening looks like a distant dream now that people in essential services sector are also catching the infection right, left and centre. But again, its mostly either asymptomatic or mild.

+++++

Lockdown was always a temporising measure rather than a solution. So,if there is further increase in number of asymptomatic and mild cases, which will likely continue even post lockdown, I think we should start thinking of more balanced strategies. Country specific, the strategies can be different.

P.S- I am a junior Doctor yet, forum members might want to talk to their known doctors ( preferably Intensivists, infectious physicians) who are senior by age and experience and share with us their perspective. Young blood, so I may tend to say a lot of things Kindly excuse me for that.
vivek95 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:01   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
What solutions, as if someone is going to actually read this thing or for that matter anywhere and take feedback. People here are cribbing as they can’t do anything else.
Thanks. This part I definitely agree with. Others, not so. And we should move on as we don't want Team BHP to become another facebook or twitter with just complaints with no concrete solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
As ..
I only have one point to put forth. Why so much concern for the daily wagers now only during the lockdown? Are you saying that during non lockdown days, these guys were having a great quality of life? No one even cared for these guys who silently built our houses and laid roads.

Atleast now, we have different NGOs and everyday citizens caring and providing relief to these people. Where was all this care when there was no lockdown?
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:13   #1465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraj.515 View Post
Our Ford Freestyle diesel is due for its 20k periodic maintenance. The car has clocked ~9500km from the last periodic maintenance. I usually replace the engine oil on the interval of ~7500 km but this time I couldn’t. Currently, my sister uses the car and she has to commute ~120 km on a daily basis. Usage of vehicle is unavoidable. What can be done in such situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
... Oil, air, fuel, cabin filters etc can wait.
Oil filter/change can wait, Oil level can not wait.

Do you check your oil level between services? It is something that I got lazy about once I started driving young, petrol cars, but it is absolutely essential for my diesel Polo. The oil level will approach minimum between annual services.

We may be subject to the enforced-by-warranty dealer-service scam, but you can be sure they will be the first to claim that we did not do our owner maintenance if any damage is caused by, eg, low oil levels. So please do check and top up if necessary, with approved type or near equivalent. Never drive without sufficient oil levels, and, use the dipstick rather than relying on dashboard warning lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I don’t understand the logic of comparing the response of Rich countries and that of India?
I don't understand why there is so much instance on India being different. Rich? Do people think that rich countries don't have poor people? The two countries in which I show an interest have massive inequality.

Quote:
Now about people dying, accept the fact lives of human beings are not equal anywhere. Western countries have airlifted their citizens during this lockdown from India, did we bring anyone of our own? Are they some kind of inferior Indians?
Interesting that you should mention that. Only yesterday I became aware that thousands of Indian university students in UK are suffering poverty levels, some are literally foodless.

I don't know if this is even sufficiently on-topic? Those with relatives studying abroad are probably aware, but for many of us, they are a group that hadn't crossed the mind.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd May 2020 at 17:17.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:14   #1466
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed reply. Some points from my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
I actually prefer the economy. Because an economy is not an abstract concept in my head. It consists of real alive people who work to earn money to feed their families. In the absence of a real economy, we won't have much life left.
Added a small but relevant word above.

In case of severe causalities due to COVID-19, we can say the same about economy as well ( now this case has not occurred so one will claim that it's just a probability ) . There would be no economy without lives.

Quote:
Maybe it is now your turn to go back and read my posts. When did I ever say that our hospitals would not be burdened? They will absolutely be burdened. One way or another that is going to be the case.
Good that you realise it. I am sure you can think what will happen beyond that and I just hope we don't come to that point.

BTW no one is creating fear in anyone's mind. The cases are all out there to see. Doctors themselves are in panic seeing the situation of the COVID-19 patients and these are cases all over India. I think the article speaks for itself. Do go through if you have the time.
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:30   #1467
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the poll itself in the thread shows how we privileged people prefer lockdown. I consider myself as privileged because I can at least afford a lockdown for over 50-55 days without any hiccup and not die or let any of my family members die. I don’t want to get into any trouble with the moderators but I have certain points here to make :

1. The lockdown could have been at least planned a little better, so that the lakhs and lakhs of reverse migration of daily migrants could have saved lives and penury and the threat of mass infection to a certain extent.

2. COVID-19 basically came from outside and it was already in the public domain. The first case was detected in January and we slept through the whole of February and all through we were assured that our country is fully prepared for any eventuality and then suddenly on March last week we were in a lockdown. We had ample time to prepare and warn the citizens what to expect but didn’t.

3. A pandemic needed focussed approach through dedicated channels and it should not have been a India government V/S State Government thing. When the National Disaster Act is in force then why is the miscommunication happening and clarifications given on a daily basis ?

4. Now let’s come to the economy part. It is well known that a lockdown of some sorts was necessary. In my professional life, I come in contact with companies of various fields. Leave aside the migrants, I am giving some examples of city factories here to understand- There are many Jute Mills in nearby areas of Calcutta where employees come from far off areas. When the lockdown was announced suddenly and local trains were stopped, many employees across factories were forced to stay back in the factory premises. Now imagine the situation when the company was forced to provide food and basic facilities to the workers for a month and counting . With everything stopped with no production and no revenue during the initial days, it was a nightmare for everyone concerned. Now, imagine the plight of migrants walking from different parts of India and dying !

5. Talking about economy further and everyone is concerned about the future and not necessarily the present state. Everyone wants to live but what’s the point in living if you have to die of hunger ? Job losses are imminent and there are sectors which are still to come up with the terms after demonetisation and now this lockdown. We will finally have to open up even after many lockdowns, so why not open with proper precautions adhering to distancing which is anyways going to happen anyway.

6. Medical facilities should be ramped up and that should be focus from here on. This pandemic has shown that we can survive with less food but we can surely add some top notch medical facilities across the country. The country is capable of doing that if it wants and we are seeing that already.

7. And before anyone points it out, my mother is also stuck in Arunachal Pradesh alone and I can’t do anything about that and that’s my state of privilege !

Enough of cribbing since I can’t provide any solutions as per my dear friend here but as per my idea we chose a government to decide the solutions for us !

P.S- Moderators can delete if found inappropriate.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:44   #1468
BANNED

Quote:
...Good that you realise it. I am sure you can think what will happen beyond that and I just hope we don't come to that point.

BTW no one is creating fear in anyone's mind. The cases are all out there to see. Doctors themselves are in panic seeing the situation of the COVID-19 patients and these are cases all over India. I think the article speaks for itself. Do go through if you have the time.
So, what is your position exactly? Can you please clarify?

I mean, you keep saying that lives will be lost due to the virus if we lift the lockdown, and then you say that you never mentioned anywhere that you are for an extended lockdown.

I have made my position very clear. Lockdown is a bad idea and fear of the virus is worse than the virus itself. That is my position. In black and white.

Now, I guess I am just trying to understand where you stand on this matter as you keep posting material hinting at what a great disease Covid is, which further hints that an extended lockdown is the solution. But, when asked, you say that you never said anything about an extended lockdown.

So, kind sir, please tell us what you would like us do?

Also, I did read that article about doctors and Covid patients. But, my view is that we are creating that situation. If their loved one is a Covid patient, most people I know would want to be right beside that person. Most people I know would have no problems with the risk. In fact, a lot of people are more afraid of allowing their loved ones to die alone rather than of catching the infection themselves.

If we behaved normally and accepted the risk and dispelled the fear, then there is no reason for Covid patients to die alone.

And yes, administrations everywhere are stocking the fear. Now that is going to come back to haunt them. Only the much mocked leaders of the US and Brazil have had it in them to say it like it is.

Quote:
Added a small but relevant word above.

In case of severe causalities due to COVID-19, we can say the same about economy as well ( now this case has not occurred so one will claim that it's just a probability ) . There would be no economy without lives.
This notion that there will be so many fatalities that there will be no one available to work is utter nonsense. Nowhere on earth has Covid robbed the economy of all its workers. Yes, the situation on Covid is an ongoing one and we will have full picture only in a year or even two years. But, going by the situation at present, the fatality numbers for Covid anywhere in the world are not even worth mentioning as compared to many other human maladies.

The reality is that because Covid spreads so easily, in terms of sheer numbers, even 6% of infected patients needing hospital care will be near impossible for us to handle. That is the actual reason why we are paying this heavy price of a social lockdown and impending economic collapse in many places. Not because Covid will sure kill everyone.

The fear mongering really has to stop at some point.
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:54   #1469
BHPian

Bill Maher on immunity for people who naively still think they would get Covid just by going out, and they would then die of Covid.

DigitalOne is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 18:11   #1470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Bill Maher on immunity for people who naively still think they would get Covid just by going out, and they would then die of Covid.

https://Youtu.be/28I5WyLp15o
Thank you. Oh, so thank you very much for this video.

I have always loved Bill Maher. But, he is typically on the side that is criticizing republican presidents. I am so surprised to see that with regards to this crisis, he is actually, albeit not explicitly, on the side of President Trump. And of course, with his typical wit, he nailed it in the video.
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed