Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 10:16   #31
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Although this lockdown was absolutely necessary, I'm now worried about my upcoming exams (that haven't been rescheduled), my graduation and the subsequent commencement of my post-graduate program that was supposed to be in June. It'll be great if all universities can work in tandem (starting of PG courses after UG courses in all universities end), but I'm worried since this is India and things rarely work in sync here.

Apologies if I sounded selfish. My heart's out there with the needy in these times of distress.
boniver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 10:35   #32
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
We have to limit, reduce and control the spread before the rainy season begins in June. People sneezing and coughing everywhere, which usually happens whenever there is a climate change in India, is a recipe for disaster.

Government should have a plan to do everything possible to limit and control the spread by early April, and go all out to reduce and eradicate the disease by early May.

Considering our population density, if we do not do the above before the beginning of raining season, we are headed for a catastrophe.
Very important points. Hope Central and respective state governments are planning the best possible to ramp up the healthcare facilities. The climate change itself will bring in their set of fever, cold, flu etc and the public may panic and run to hospitals and this can as mentioned above can lead to a catastrophe.
Old 25th March 2020, 11:18   #33
BHPian

It's an unprecedented situation. It's time to adhere to the guidelines issued by the authorities and combat this menace together. Together we can do it and we will do it.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-fight.jpeg
Sujoy76 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 11:33   #34
BHPian

I am an avid animal lover and I have been serving street animals for almost a decade now. I am worried that this lock down, though necessary, would have adverse affect on them since they won't be able to get food from the hotels and restaurants garbage section. Which in turn would make them aggressive to look for food.

Hence, I request all to please provide some biscuits or left over food from your home to these street animals. Or just keep it outside the house so that they can eat atleast something. I don't work for any animal welfare board or am associated with them in any way. It is just my personal request.

Mods if you find this post inappropriate then kindly delete it. Thank you.
Shivanshu is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 11:42   #35
BHPian

Very bold and necessary move by govt.

I'm sure, we all can survive with lesser food for few days. From Sunday, I have already started having only lunch and in evening, few tit bits if available at home. Vegetables are vanishing from the market so have to survive on available grains. That's not a problem at all.

I'm more worried about people who lives hand to mouth and who do not have proper places to stay secured. People who live on the streets, beggars, daily wages workers who have come to big cities like Mumbai for thier survival. I hope government will take care of them as they are more prone to expose to virus because of thier living conditions. I would like to help these kind of people in my vinicity. My wife and I already started spreading words about it in our society. We will try to find means to help them.

Everyone, please stay secure and safe. And please try to help poor in whatever way you can.

Take care.
Sachin V.W. is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 12:06   #36
BHPian

My father is top government official in Gujarat state. Here's how they are prepared for the 21 day lockdown.
  • Their first priority was to build/prepare a hospital specially for corona-virus patients. Almost all district (Gujarat) had prepared the hospitals and the largest one is in Ahmedabad with 1200 beds capacity. (which will be not enough if community spread happens) [ The preparation for this started before the Janta Curfew]
  • Essential shops will be open and so will be supply chain of the essential goods. Necessity such as rice, wheat, dals, vegetables supply's will be monitored by government so that it can reach all the places around the state especially metro cities and big towns.
  • In cities, the government is discussing if the essentials food can be distribute to the people's homes/society. logistics is the main hindrance here.
  • Police role is the most important here because it is their duty to make sure lockdown is carried out. I do not justify the police beating the public but if the police man is standing out on road the whole day for your safety and some people just roam around, the lesson is to be learned to them. [As we know in India, fears works better than soft talk]

And not all police people are bad, here is the example ;

• Now, there is problem the government is facing is of the labour community. As the cities are in lockdown with borders closed and no public transportation, they are stuck here. As per the government instruction the contractor of the labours have to provide their pay but it is highly unlikely that the contractors will pay the labours without work. The government now will try to feed them and they are talking with religious trust and NGO if they can give shelter.
  • The main reason for lockdown is insincerity of our people. Without strict rules our public just do not understand. We can compare this to the new traffic violation rules. It has drastically reduced the people from breaking the rules.

For example ; A FIR has been filed against a couple in Gandhinagar for not disclosing the name of the persons who they have contact with. The government found out after the relative of the couple was founded positive for coronavirus. [couple hid the relative name]

• While the world is in lockdown in their homes, i see people complaining about the economy. The truth is if the community spread started here more than thousands of people would loss their parents. The government is here worried about life that would be lost rather than the businesses that would be shut. YOU CAN BRING BACK THE ECONOMY NOT THE PEOPLE.

The government is aware of the fact that our hospital infrastructure is substandard and the only way to save this country from the agony is to stop the spread right now with whatever actions required.

The 21 day curfew will be challenging and it is our duty as an Indian citizen to ensure that our country stay safe and let the doctors/government do their work without stressing them and overloading their work.

As our ancestor has lived upon only chapatis and khichadi and dals and we can do that too for sure for few days.

Thank you. Jai hind.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-sola-police.jpeg  

sachin2612 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 12:33   #37
BHPian

As expected, essential supplies have been hit badly. People went out shopping and withstood beatings from the police. Also, bigbasket type of companies have suspended services in many places.

A lockdown was necessary, but announcing it with 4 hours before the start may not have given out the most reassuring signal to people to prevent panic buying.

Also, the unorganized workers like the daily wagers and rickshaw pullers are in deep distress. If you know any of them please give out a generous amount to them.

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...virus-6330223/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/...-lockdown/amp/

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 25th March 2020 at 12:40. Reason: Added links to the articles.
Nissan1180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 12:34   #38
BHPian

Bold & necessary move by the PM. Time for every Indian to just follow the orders & cooperate with the authorities and this is not the right time to raise political or other differences.

And people who are partying, please realize this is not the right time.

At the juncture, US is preparing to open the country by month-end.
2 different strategies adopted by the 2 biggest democracies.
Old 25th March 2020, 12:56   #39
BHPian

Stay home and stay safe guys!

Any suggestion on how to prevent the car battery from dying in these three weeks?
Old 25th March 2020, 13:13   #40
BHPian

A 21-day lockdown of a country with a population of 1.3 billion is the largest human lockdown ever. This is a very courageous decision by the GOI. It will mean huge economic consequences. Taking the Covid-19 pandemic head-on, GOI has decided to overlook economic loss for saving human lives. I fully endorse & support this decision of our PM & GOI.

I can't help but compare this with the way things are panning out in the USA. Trump is ignoring the advice of the Medical Fraternity & Epidemiologists and pushing for early removal of the lockdown. This might be an election year but the risk to human lives in such a step is incalculable.

Let's join forces & come out of this pandemic. Let us also in our own small ways ensure the impact of this lockdown is minimized on our domestic help, support staff & anyone who for economic reasons will face a challenging time.

Urging all TBHPians "Stay Home; Stay Safe" & "Hum Honge Kaamyab".
laser2707 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Stay home and stay safe guys!

Any suggestion on how to prevent the car battery from dying in these three weeks?
crank the engine once in 4-5 days and let it run for about 10 mins, this should keep your battery going.
Slickshift99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

To quote one of the economists in the country, the choice is between lives and livelihood. The latter matters only if there is the former. Yes there will be potentially devastating effects for a section of the society, but the government is well aware. At this time, I do not see any issue with the handling of this menace whether at Centre, State or local levels. Its the citizens who have to fully cooperate now.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
As expected, essential supplies have been hit badly. People went out shopping and withstood beatings from the police. Also, bigbasket type of companies have suspended services in many places.
My guess is people have still not understood the havoc this virus is going to cause. This lockdown might not have been required if people acted responsibly.

Really surprising that people are complaining when everyone's life is at stake. And each life can affect numerous other lives and hence the necessity of a lockdown.

Minimizing infections and death should be the only focus for few months. I am pretty sure the lockdown would be extended based on the results of the first 3 weeks. This is required not only in India but the rest of the world as well. Even if 1 infected person remains he/she can start the exponential chain in a matter of few weeks.

Yes economically the world will be pushed back a couple of decades may be. But this seems be a part of master plan of almighty. We human kind have ravaged this planet , mother nature and every other resources available and in the greed to grow further and have stopped caring for everything else on this planet.

It looks to be sort of reboot, restart very much required for the future generations. Only a few days of lesser human intervention due to this pandemic has changed the environmental situation so much. The shutdown and reboot is just to undo all the bad we humans have done over the last century.

Time to mend our ways or another such wave of virus attack will wipe away humankind from the face of the earth just like that.

I am an eternal optimist and do hope this virus corrects everything required for sustenance of our future generation.

Last edited by nibedk : 25th March 2020 at 13:46.
nibedk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:48   #44
BHPian

Being a Doctor myself, I welcome this courageous move of 21 days lockdown. The only set of people who can ruin this great move are a bunch of harassing policemen and senseless public alike.

Happened to come across a disturbing news from Khammam, Telangana where a female doctor who was on her way to duty was heckled and dragged by the ACP, despite her producing her ID and stating the valid reason. He also used filthy abusive language that amounts to outraging her modesty. However with the intervention of additional DCP, he tendered an apology. This behavior is however uncalled for. My blood was boiling when I stumbled across this news.

Thankfully, Mumbai police so far has been sensible. I noticed them questioning the few people who were out on roads today in a professional manner while I was let go, the moment I declared myself as Doctor and flashed my ID card.
vivek95 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 14:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
God forbid if there's any medical emergency can one drive to the hospital in own car or even that's not allowed?
100% yes; we've been doing this since Mar 15 for multiple times every single day
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed