Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 14:06   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

In Chennai, my brother in law went to his office in Mount Road to collect his company's laptop to work from home. Sadly, the tech support took their time and he ended up being on Mount Road after the curfew time of 6 PM. He was stopped at a barricade and his 2 wheeler's key was taken away. It was soon a crowd of 60 similarly confiscated 2 wheelers at the barricade.

After the police had individually spoken to each of them, the police let them go one by one. My brother in law showed his company ID card and laptop and explained himself; he was advised by them to go back to his office since he would only get stopped at every such barricade on Mount Road. The cops told him to venture out again from office post 11 PM when police checking would cease.

Thus, he came home to Nanganallur around midnight without any further harassment.

I don't expect the cops to behave any differently; it isn't possible for them to deal with our largely unruly public in any other manner.
locusjag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 14:12   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshift99 View Post
crank the engine once in 4-5 days and let it run for about 10 mins, this should keep your battery going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Stay home and stay safe guys!

Any suggestion on how to prevent the car battery from dying in these three weeks?
No need to worry unless your battery is at the end of its life. Three weeks is nothing, I have left a car for six months and it started first time.

Might be a good idea to disconnect any extras, though, eg some people have dash cams that act as security cameras and are always on.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 14:37   #48
BHPian

Very courageous move by GOI. There is no other option available for us in India but lockdown. We can not afford community transmission of COVID-19 as we don't have infrastructure to deal with it. There will be massive adverse impact of this lockdown on economy and people will suffer hence I appeal to all let's make this move success full else we will lose everything people and economy. Stay inside, stay safe.
khanmaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 14:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No need to worry unless your battery is at the end of its life. Three weeks is nothing, I have left a car for six months and it started first time.

Might be a good idea to disconnect any extras, though, eg some people have dash cams that act as security cameras and are always on.
6+ months is probably not a very good idea battery notwithstanding... all the old fluids would be gumming up in the lines (or they could go bad and damage the lines themselves). But 3 weeks is probably okay for passenger cars.
Old 25th March 2020, 14:45   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant way to stop Hoarding.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-screenshot_20200325144319.jpg

1 bottle kr40 (€5.50)
2 bottles kr1000 (€134.00) each bottle.

This should be the need of hour and all essentials should be priced accordingly for next three weeks, so people don't hoard.
AtheK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 14:45   #51
BHPian

To make matters worse, it's raining heavily in my locality.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 16:23   #52
BHPian

My hometown (Jabalpur) is under curfew due to COVID-19. Essential shops are allowed to open only in morning hours. This was the situation in main market today morning
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-e34eb8aac79b4bd79203565069b85d6f.jpg  

karan0009 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 16:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
My hometown (Jabalpur) is under curfew due to COVID-19. Essential shops are allowed to open only in morning hours. This was the situation in main market today morning
I am afraid to say but it will defeat the purpose of lockdown and social distancing.
khanmaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 17:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Prepare simple food (plain vanilla fare) and reduce the demand for household essentials - thrift will also reduce one's exposure levels given the reduced need for replenishment.

Rummage through one's larders, we do not need fresh produce always and surely there is food in some form or another. Change the daily menu with immediate effect.

The bottom line being we will not starve inside our apartments (unlike say, the underprivileged) - Do not risk venturing out to stock up on habitual or psychological grounds. Unless one feels a greater threat (within one's home) affecting the health or survival, stay indoors and minimise the risk of infection to the lowest possible degree.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 17:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Was hoping that big basket would be the saviour. They too looks like are locked down. No delivery slots available until Mar 30th, and still, even the website doesn't let you finish the purchase, just gets retested.
Old 25th March 2020, 18:08   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Was hoping that big basket would be the saviour. They too looks like are locked down. No delivery slots available until Mar 30th, and still, even the website doesn't let you finish the purchase, just gets retested.
There is a meeting called by the Bangalore Police Head at 7PM today with all the essential services delivery companies/associations. Hopefully things will get smoothened out over the next couple of days with respect to the deliveries.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 18:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
“Not testing alone. Not contact tracing alone. Not quarantine alone. Not physical distancing alone. Do it all. Find, isolate, test and treat every case, to break the chains of transmission…. Do not let this fire burn.”

If this recent statement of World Health Organisation (WHO) Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus offers the best prescription for dealing with COVID-19 as of now, a State in India that has attracted everyone’s admiration with its quick and effective response to the spread of coronavirus is Kerala.

Right from early February, when three students of Wuhan University in China, then the centre of the outbreak, returned to their homes in the State and were promptly identified, tested and found to be the first known positive cases for coronavirus infection in India, Kerala increased its preparedness, readiness and response to the threat of the pandemic.

It effectively utilised the most valuable resources at its disposal: time, the advance notice it got after the first trickle of people living abroad began to return in the wake of the pandemic threat; the well-known strengths of its refurbished healthcare system; and the out-of-the-blue yet hands-on experience it had gained in the past few years while handling two outbreaks of the deadly Nipah virus

Kerala also declared an economic stimulus package to address the hardship in society that has followed the coronavirus outbreak, the first State to do so. On March 19, the Chief Minister announced a Rs.20,000-crore economic package for the purpose, of which Rs.500 crore was exclusively for the health sector (besides other assistance), Rs.2,000 crore to provide loans through Kudumbashree, the vast network of women’s self-help groups, and Rs.1,000 crore to provide jobs through rural employment guarantee programmes.
From what I have been reading and hearing firsthand, Kerala seems to have waded in very early in handling the COVID outbreak. They used the time on their hands very well, not allowing any need for panic and managing resources well and putting things in place. I really appreciate the amount that was declared as an economic stimulus package to address the hardship in society - Rs.20,000-crore.

Daily updates like how Pinarayi Vijayan does will go a great way in keeping the masses safe and make them realise how much of a part they are playing in keeping the whole country safe. Kudos to Kerala!
naveenroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 18:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

What do the guidelines say about shopping for essential groceries? I imagine many do not have sufficient stock in their kitchens to last for three weeks. Is it a case-by-case basis depending on the cop you meet?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 18:54   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
Are you sure this was today morning? I will be amazed if true, but I somehow doubt that this is after the lockdown.
Old 25th March 2020, 18:59   #60
BHPian

Been hearing reports that even big basket, swiggy and zomato delivery personnel are being beaten up by the police. The government encouraged the use of online services and the police have interpreted this in their own way. Local grocery shop said police has taken bribe from all the shops in the area to let the shops be open.
rahulcmoulee is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks