Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 22:50   #331
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Hey guys, my mother has a chemotherapy session due in a few days and that session is in Gurgaon. We reside in NOIDA, so do we need some sort of permission to cross the borders?
Please goto nearby SHO and get the permission letter, print it and paste it on the windshield. Dont take chance because an ambulance from Kerala was not allowed to cross into Karnataka recently, though it was carrying a critical patient. Also see if the therapy can be done in Noida itself.
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 07:40   #332

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Police brutality in India has hit a new high thanks to the lock down.
I've been hearing about people being beat up with sticks and some asked to do sit ups.

Have the police in your city made life difficult for you by not allowing you to perform the most basic of duties or do you think they have had a positive impact ?

I am genuinely curious since my impression is that they are now drunk on power abusing people.
Dhiwakar92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 07:53   #333
Team-BHP Support

Look who waded into the lockdown controversy:

COVID-19: No Logic In Lockdown In A Country Where 94% Are Below 65, Says Rajiv Bajaj
"We should have kept the seniors home, closed public spaces, and allowed the rest of us to keep life moving forward," he said.
https://www.business-standard.com/ar...3001768_1.html
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 08:13   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
COVID-19: No Logic In Lockdown In A Country Where 94% Are Below 65, Says Rajiv Bajaj
We consume too much Western media, given our colonial past. Our inability to think independently had crippled us time and again. Even in the case of quarantining of the international travelers we were waiting for the WHO and other bodies to lead the way. We are a poverty stricken country. Given that reality, stage one detention without regard to anything but the safety of the Nation should have been paramount.

We are not a wealthy welfare state, we need the bureaucrats to understand that, but they themselves live in a different world - a privileged nation, where conditions are much better than for the average citizens of western welfare societies.
mvadg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 08:29   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look who waded into the lockdown controversy:

"We should have kept the seniors home, closed public spaces, and allowed the rest of us to keep life moving forward," he said.
Yes, that will work too. But it will require practicing hygiene level & discipline, say on par with Japan. Few measures that would be required:
- Mask always on in public places by all.
- Social distancing at all times.
- Visiting doctor & getting tested when even any remote symptoms are visible.
- Sanitizing public places places like bus-stops, hand rails frequently.
These are almost impossible in our country.
msdivy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 09:08   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Usually I do not find myself agreeing to Mr Bajaj but for a change, this time he makes sense to me (directionally at least). We cannot shut a country like ours with an ineffective social security mechanism and large number of daily wagers.
But what is done is done. Lockdown was a knee jerk reaction from the government to break the cycle. Irrespective of whether the lockdown is successful or not, it needs to go away once these 21 days are over.

If our doctors can go to work everyday with adequate precautions, then I don't see why others cannot.

Punjab government has shown the way. Let businesses operate if they meet certain preconditions. Good quality masks for all employees, hygienic conditions, strict social distancing, enough hand sanitizers on the floors. I am sure employers won't mind the extra cost.
warrioraks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 09:42   #337
Senior - BHPian

This Guy( Koolar restaurant owner -King Circle Mumbai ) is some kind of psychopath, No i am not commenting after this video. I have been to his restaurant few times, and every time you can see him screaming at someone or other, i already know he is arrogant and this video is not a surprise.

Hope he learns his lesson well.

Last edited by silverado : 1st April 2020 at 09:44.
silverado is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 09:48   #338
BHPian

^^^Before getting back to work :
  1. Where are the cheap N95 masks?
  2. Even in stores that follow the queue, both employees and customers don't use common sense, use masks, stay separate
  3. Education level has zero impact on caution, same as our road sense
  4. Sanitizers, they should be flowing like water by now...
  5. UVC equipment to sanitize, when will we wake up?
  6. Doctors, medical staff - still no assurance of safety, are they disposable?
  7. If past experience is any clue, workplaces will not follow the rules. Management, will stay away and be least bothered about the health and welfare of their employees
Most important, we need to recognize that our attitudes have not changed. We here are a select few as can be inferred from our response to Road accidents and the like, the general public...

ARE WE READY TO GET BACK TO WORK IN THIS TIME OF THE AIRBORNE VIRUS?
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 09:50   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
This Guy( Koolar restaurant owner -King Circle Mumbai ) is some kind of psychopath, No i am not commenting after this video. I have been to his restaurant few times, and every time you can see him screaming at someone or other, i already know he is arrogant and this video is not a surprise.

Hope he learns his lesson well.
Had exactly similar emotions when I read the news. Me being a mumbaikar had taken my wife (non-mumbaikar) to this spot, as this is a place where a lot of bollywood scenes are shot. Also I have completed my college from around this place.

This guy was continuously abusing someone or the other on phone or otherwise. Was an embarrassing cup of tea. I am happy that government is not lenient on people with means.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:11   #340
BHPian

I am not sure how this works since not all are fortunate enough to have a well stocked grocery store near by (most of them don't seem to be doing home delivery anymore). Also, what about senior citizens who can't walk everywhere. Besides, even I can't get multiple 20L water cans to my home from the nearest grocery store by walk.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-screenshot_20200401100637.png  

JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:14   #341
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please do NOT post any rumours or WhatsApp forwards on this thread. Kindly post ONLY verified / accurate information. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:24   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
^^^Before getting back to work :
  1. Where are the cheap N95 masks?
  2. Even in stores that follow the queue, both employees and customers don't use common sense, use masks, stay separate
  3. Education level has zero impact on caution, same as our road sense
  4. Sanitizers, they should be flowing like water by now...
  5. UVC equipment to sanitize, when will we wake up?
  6. Doctors, medical staff - still no assurance of safety, are they disposable?
  7. If past experience is any clue, workplaces will not follow the rules. Management, will stay away and be least bothered about the health and welfare of their employees
Most important, we need to recognize that our attitudes have not changed. We here are a select few as can be inferred from our response to Road accidents and the like, the general public...

ARE WE READY TO GET BACK TO WORK IN THIS TIME OF THE AIRBORNE VIRUS?
Let me try to respond on a few points where I understood the concerns:
1. Unavailability of cheap N95 masks - I already mentioned this has to be a precondition to reopen business. No masks means no work. I think employers will find ways to procure masks faster than the government if it comes to their survival.

2. Lack of common sense in people - Will not going to work instill common sense in people? Is the lockdown being perfectly implemented? I think the answer is no. We should not expect 100% adherence, with or without lockdown.

3. Education not leading to people take precautions, case in example, lack of road sense - That has not stopped us from building more roads/highways at breakneck speed and putting more people at the risk of accidents

4. Lack of sanitisers - See point 1

5. Businesses not adhering to rules - this is where government has a big role to play. The easy way is lockdown, the tougher choice is to enforce compliance

I don't claim to have all the answers. But to me, once these 21 days are over, extension of lockdown is a bigger evil than letting people return to work under controlled conditions. Sure go ahead, keep malls and theatres closed where social distancing is impossible. But at work places, where there is a degree of familiarity between individuals and there is a management to provide oversight, I feel it is doable.

Lastly, if the virus is airborne, how will a lockdown help?

Last edited by warrioraks : 1st April 2020 at 10:36.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:30   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 View Post
Have the police in your city made life difficult for you by not allowing you to perform the most basic of duties or do you think they have had a positive impact ?

I am genuinely curious since my impression is that they are now drunk on power abusing people.
I have not faced anything personally nor seen anything like that happening when I have been out and about doing my essential shopping. Yes, there has bee the odd shouting from patrolmen at loiterers on the road. The Commissioner specifically instructed cops not to use physical assault of any kind and since the last few days, violators have been asked to go back home and not loiter, or in some cases, asked to do sit ups etc.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:33   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Effect of Lockdown on industry:

Maruti Suzuki’s Sales Fall 47% To 83,792 Units for March-20.

This includes 76,976 units in the domestic market, 2,104 units of domestic OEM sales and 4,712 units of exports.

With this, the Company ended FY 2019-20 with total sales of 1,563,297 units.

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 1080
Size:  195.7 KB

Source: Maruti Suzuki

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st April 2020 at 10:50.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:45   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Usually I do not find myself agreeing to Mr Bajaj but for a change, this time he makes sense to me (directionally at least).Punjab government has shown the way. Let businesses operate if they meet certain preconditions. Good quality masks for all employees, hygienic conditions, strict social distancing, enough hand sanitizers on the floors. I am sure employers won't mind the extra cost.
Its one of the most stupidest decision of Punjab government, they led the way as they were the first one to impose curfew in the country but the opening of factories is just impractical, not even 1 factory has opened up after this decision as its impractical & nobody is willing to fulfill the kind of conditions they have suggested. Most of punjab has small scale industry & no one has the space or means to provide lodging, food & other essential items of daily use to its employees. Majority of the workers wont bear the cost & for factories to be operational they will have to let the markets, transportation & other allied activities to open up & then whats the point of lockdown, rest of india is under lockdown where will punjab businesses sell their material? All of the people in my circle & most of the industry associations of punjab have rejected this idea.
trinity0114 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks