Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:03   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Seeing the messages on potential disruption in LPG supply, I guess I got a little lucky, cylinder finished 3-4 days into the lockdown. Made a booking and was delivered in 2 days. So one less thing to worry about I guess.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:05   #392
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

For folks who stay in Bangalore and those who get Cauvery water, it is safe to drink the Cauvery water once you boil it and filter the water using a fine piece of cloth. The taste may not be like can water but can manage till the lockdown.

Last edited by whencut86 : 2nd April 2020 at 09:05. Reason: correction
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:10   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Shops seem to be open in my area and very fortunately, there are some within walking distance. I understand the rationale behind banning vehicles on the road, certainly some people were abusing the privilege, but it will also definitely make things harder for those who are genuinely looking for supplies and need the vehicle to carry things. For example, we used to use the bike to look for shops that were less crowded. The closest shop is a supermarket and that is always crowded. Now since we have to walk, we'll have to go into one of the crowded stores. Won't that increase the exposure risk? No choice now.

Today the cops are stating that enough time was given for people to buy everything required before the lock down and there was no need to keep visiting stores. But didn't the government also say there was no need to buy more than necessary because enough supplies would be there? The people like me who believed that message and didn't panic buy a couple of weeks ago are looking pretty silly now. Lock down is necessary yes, but how about a clear and consistent message from the Center/States/Departments.

Last edited by am1m : 2nd April 2020 at 09:32.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:36   #394
BHPian

I live near Decathlon, Sarjapur Rd. Like many here, my water can got over yesterday and my regular delivery shop didn't have any stock.

Today morning I ventured out on my bike with empty can and was able to source one Bisleri can from a near by shop. I guess I got lucky.

Coming to vehicles not being allowed on road in Bangalore, I saw quite few vehicles. A police check point on the main road was stopping vehicles and asking the drivers questions. But from whatever I saw, all those vehicles were allowed to carry on. I am not sure if they had any kind of pass though. But judging from the look of it, it was mostly normal folks going out to get things.
aneeshtn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:12   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Just waiting for someone to come by and justify how we should all learn to sacrifice drinking water for 2 weeks.
No justification will be forthcoming. I believe that when Twitterati angrily asked police commissioner how on earth they expect people to carry huge swathes of grocery on foot till home, all they were told is that their cars may be seized if caught being used. Absolutely and stunningly immature and ridiculous response. How can they disallow genuine short sprints to the nearest grocery and back?

Currently, I am relying on multiple liter bottles of Bisleri which I am having to buy on a daily basis. No other options available to me.
arindambasu13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:31   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
No justification will be forthcoming. I believe that when Twitterati angrily asked police commissioner how on earth they expect people to carry huge swathes of grocery on foot till home, all they were told is that their cars may be seized if caught being used. Absolutely and stunningly immature and ridiculous response. How can they disallow genuine short sprints to the nearest grocery and back?
It is by car or bike that actually social distancing is better maintained, right?

We all know how we walk and criss cross each other on our broken footpaths. If we try to maintain distance, we might end in that open drainage or that invisible hole!.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:26   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
It is by car or bike that actually social distancing is better maintained, right?

We all know how we walk and criss cross each other on our broken footpaths. If we try to maintain distance, we might end in that open drainage or that invisible hole!.
There is absolutely no harm done by anyone driving their personal vehicle. There is no logical explanation behind curbing private vehicle usage. I could drive all the way from Delhi to Tamilnadu and create no danger to anyone. The hotels and restaurants would be closed en route but I would be isolated in my vehicle and would pose no hazard to anyone. The only rationale would be if we needed to keep roads clear for emergency vehicles or if we had a shortage of fuel. In fact, allowing a short drive every few days might help people deal with the feeling of being locked in to their homes. A person walking to the store is much more likely to contaminate than a person driving there.
Lobogris is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:36   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
There is absolutely no harm done by anyone driving their personal vehicle. There is no logical explanation behind curbing private vehicle usage. I could drive all the way from Delhi to Tamilnadu and create no danger to anyone. The hotels and restaurants would be closed en route but I would be isolated in my vehicle and would pose no hazard to anyone. The only rationale would be if we needed to keep roads clear for emergency vehicles or if we had a shortage of fuel. In fact, allowing a short drive every few days might help people deal with the feeling of being locked in to their homes. A person walking to the store is much more likely to contaminate than a person driving there.
Well, it can be argued that if vehicles are allowed and everyone steps out on their vehicles then you can have huge traffic on roads, police will have to manage it, it would be no different than any other normal day. There would be no meaning of a lockdown.

Now you could argue that not everyone will come out but it can't be guaranteed. If you ask me, it's better to have some ground rules and everyone follows them without exemptions rather than having vague exemptions which everyone interprets their own way and in the end which ends up with lockdown being a futile exercise.
joslicx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:00   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Quote:
There is absolutely no harm done by anyone driving their personal vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well, it can be argued that if vehicles are allowed and everyone steps out on their vehicles then you can have huge traffic
Don't know what the solution is, but I realized I was guilty of the same "Lazy, first order thinking" that I accused the bureaucrats/police/politicians of. Let's see -
  • You take your car out, run out of petrol, decide to fill up - contact with your car filler cap, lid, body. You come back, accidentally touch the car filler lid...
  • Your vehicle breaks down - you get out, spit, touch local things, speak loudly (known to transmit the virus) to some hapless ...
  • You suddenly decide to get your medication from a far off pharmacy on your route...
  • Policeman stops you and you both argue loudly (creating a fine aerosol of virus particles)...
  • Above scene with no mask...
  • Repeat all of the above with multiplier 40,000...
Wow! that was hard! May be someone needs to develop some sort of software for the scenario generation.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:21   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

The major reason why the lockdown is being heavily enforced since just the last two days is because 700 of the markaz returnees are AWOL and not traceable in Karnataka. To ensure community transmission is restricted because of this ignominy, strict orders have been given to all state DGPs by the Cabinet Secretary to enforce complete lockdown. States have been given 48 hours to trace every one down.

Please dont ask me for any kind of pdf, online proof and the lot.

And this is how the virus spreads.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd April 2020 at 12:22.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:32   #401
BHPian

Locals in MP decide to attack a health inspection team when they were doing their jobs.

JithinR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:42   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Locals in MP decide to attack a health inspection team when they were doing their jobs.
I was reading about this on our college group. Why can't people get it that what is being done is to prevent further chaos in their own neighborhood. Try to prevent the testing to check if they are carriers or not is literally crime against the people. Time for the top religious leaders drive sense into their followers in these trying times.

Unless that whole are is cordoned off now, it is meaningless to enforce the lockdown there.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd April 2020 at 12:48. Reason: removed video from quotes
indian21r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:46   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The major reason why the lockdown is being heavily enforced since just the last two days is because 700 of the markaz returnees are AWOL and not traceable in Karnataka.
Quote:
Please dont ask me for any kind of pdf, online proof and the lot.
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img20200402wa0045.jpg

This says a different story though and so does this clip from the media.

Again, since I wasn't sure about the authenticity of that letter I did some search and found articles and media reports in line with what has been referred to in that letter which says

"Do not heed to rumours: 391 people from Karnataka attended the religious event at Nizamuddin and all of them have been quarantined. Of the 62 foreigners who visited the state, 12 have returned while the remaining 50 have been quarantined— Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai"
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:51   #404
BHPian

Please do not jump the gun on police. There is no 100% fool proof way to do this lock down. The reason the clampdown on vehicle is to limit community spread if and when it happens. I know a lots of folks roaming around different super markets for not so essential purchases.

Say if there is a positive case in my locality there would be stringent lock down of the entire community as close as possible to avoid inconvenience to other nearby localities. But If I have been allowed to roam around it beats the purpose. There would be pain but nothing worse than mass death.
aadya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:02   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Say if there is a positive case in my locality there would be stringent lock down of the entire community as close as possible to avoid inconvenience to other nearby localities.
I do hope this identification and contact tracing is what is happening during these lock down days. And the government will be in a position to enforce lock downs in those affected areas going forward as opposed to extending the lock down over the entire country again and again.

Quote:
In fact, allowing a short drive every few days might help people deal with the feeling of being locked in to their homes. A person walking to the store is much more likely to contaminate than a person driving there.
Well said! There will always be people who will do things like attend religious gatherings, try and break home quarantine, and get together in a group to bang pots and pans. Let the authorities take action on those by all means, but trust that most people will show good sense and have some sensible relaxations of the lock down as the situation permits. Even if they do lift the lock down on April 15th, I'm certainly going to continue working from home, avoid going to restaurants or my gym and will avoid spending unnecessary time outside for at least a few more weeks. But if the lock down continues to be country-wide and extended again, first people will stop believing the authorities, then there will be an outpouring of people going everywhere when the lock down is lifted for the first time and who is to say the chances of infection will have been eliminated by then? (Unless we have a vaccine in sufficient supply by then, which looks very unlikely.)

At this point I still trust that the government is working towards a scenario where gradual relaxations will be possible over time.

Last edited by am1m : 2nd April 2020 at 13:18.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks