Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:46   #436
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
My better half works in the administrative wing of a private educational institution.
Now, whether the hundred odd colleagues of hers will get paid soon or not depends on whether my wife and two others are willing to risk travelling to the office and get on with the due process for release of funds.

That puts me, her chaperone, in a quandary. I have strictly followed the lockdown norms till date, not even venturing to the nearest grocery store, situated 200 mts from my home.
Can the administration not put a fixed amount into each of the employee's account? The final amount can be resolved later or in next month's payout, Especially those at the lower scale?

If the salary was paid in cash, then this is not an option.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd April 2020 at 15:20. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:59   #437
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Corona virus thread

Seeing the way the US numbers are jumping by a 1000 each day for deaths, its good to have a lockdown and control the situation. I for one think this lockdown will get extended till we get the cases in control, as its only a matter of time that we will have more than 10k and on the way to a 100k cases.

My district is in a complete lockdown with us being allowed to come for groceries on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, we have locked our borders with kerala as our health facilities are terrible.

Maddy

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd April 2020 at 15:12. Reason: Last line removed
maddy42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 15:06   #438
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Can the administration not put a fixed amount into each of the employee's account? The final amount can be resolved later or in next month's payout, Especially those at the lower scale?
She is part of the administration that knows how to do it and therefore her presence is vital. Moreover, even to put in a fixed amount to everyone's account, they will have to present a signed cheque to the bank, mentioning individual amounts. Also, there is the minor issue of EPF deductions and remittance. So, its kind of binding. Online banking isn't being used at the institutional level.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 15:12   #439
BHPian

So, as the central governments indication that lockdown won't be extended looking at the train and flight booking being allowed, there is still a blurry picture from the state administration. Hotspot districts may still be under lockdown at least in Karnataka.

Lockdown restrictions in Bengaluru may be extended after April 14 | Bengaluru News - Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/74958371.cms
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 15:27   #440
Senior - BHPian

And now Singapore is going into a full one month lockdown!

Just test, isolate not enough to contain the virus?

They reported some success with their first outbreak of the epidemic, but looks like the virus is back with vengeance and hence the lockdown. Probably we also might need to extend our lockdown for few weeks at least if not months.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 16:21   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Maybe we will be more appreciative if "developed" nations are now doing the same thing?
In fact, I think it was the Italians who started this kind of stuff, with spontaneous bursting into song from balconies. Truly moving, in a way that orchestrated demonstrations can't be.

It is like being asked to clap in a performance, after one has clapped already. I never do, because I did my applause, and any extra would be fake. But then, this is my nature: I hate cheerleaders! I reserve my right not to cheer! Signed, Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Warning: Long post.
Overall, you make some very good points, so forgive me for nitpicking a couple of points.

Ventilators are not something that can be easily delivered to home. People with chronic illness such as emphysema can be trained to use oxygen in the home, but it is dangerous stuff. An ex-girlfriend of mine was a hospital nurse in London. She had disciplinary action taken against her because she had left a visiting outpatient using hospital oxygen unsupervised for a few minutes. Her defence was that she knew the patient well, and knew his experience of oxygen use well. A bottle of oxygen is as dangerous as a bottle of cooking gas.

Medical guys, please comment, but that the sort of breathing support, even with non-invasive ventilators, that a very sick corvid-19 sufferer would need absolutely requires professional adjustment and supervision.

Of course, we have home nursing services, so machine+service could be combined. But, a friend of mine had a nurse at home, during a period of sickness, a year or so ago, and the cost was almost as much as my monthly income

My other point is about home food delivery. There is another side to it. Many restaurants are not earning more, they are earning less. The delivery services charge a steep commission on what is a low-margin industry, and the delivery people have simply transferred the profit to their pockets.

Nitpicks over
Quote:
She is part of the administration that knows how to do it and therefore her presence is vital. Moreover, even to put in a fixed amount to everyone's account, they will have to present a signed cheque to the bank, mentioning individual amounts. Also, there is the minor issue of EPF deductions and remittance. So, its kind of binding. Online banking isn't being used at the institutional level.
During my working life in England, I was not paid in cash since about 1975. Still, someone has to do the payroll work, operate the software, and effect the transfers. For reasons of security and privacy, this is always going to be a system with highly limited access.

It is another group to add to our communal thanks: those that ensure that the cash coming to us actually does!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd April 2020 at 17:41. Reason: 2 smilies per post please
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 21:19   #442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
And now Singapore is going into a full one month lockdown!
Numbers are slowly on the rise, but it is not a full lockdown like how it is in India. Essential services, public transport, super markets etc. will function. Restaurants/hawker centers (local food courts) also will function but only for delivery and takeaways. Offices and schools will completely shift to work-from-home and online learning respectively. People can still go out for a jog if needed to the nearby nature parks but is advised to maintain adequate social distancing.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 23:37   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Murphy's law is being borne out and proven true again with my family-
1) Day 1 of lockdown, a bathroom tap came apart
2) Day 3, we noticed that our reverse osmosis unit is malfunctioning
3) Day 5, our old washing machine gave up
4) Today, my long rotting molar tooth has begun letting me know that a root canal treatment is needed

Not even one of these things can be addressed during the lockdown! #4 can especially light a fire under my very existence...
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 23:47   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
This has actually taken a toll on my mental health since then. Looking at these four walls is way more than depressing than it actually sounds. .
Please do not keep looking at the news and updates on a regular basis or keep thinking about the illnes. Avoid reading news / even the threads on here that have depressing news.

Here are some recommendations from psychologists to keep folks stable and safe during this period:.

1. Isolate yourself from news about the virus. (Everything we need to know, we already know).

2. Don't look out for the death toll. It's not a cricket match to know the latest score. Avoid that.

3. Don't look for additional information on the Internet, it would weaken your mental state.

4.Avoid sending fatalistic messages. Some people don't have the same mental strength as you (Instead of helping, you could activate pathologies such as depression).

5. If possible, listen to music at home at a pleasant volume. Look for board games to entertain children, tell stories and future plans.

6. Maintain discipline in the home by washing your hands, putting up a sign or alarm for everyone in the house.

7. Your positive mood will help protect your immune system, while negative thoughts have been shown to depress your immune system and make it weak against viruses.

8. Most importantly, firmly believe that this shall also pass.

Quote:
Now, whether the hundred odd colleagues of hers will get paid soon or not depends on whether my wife and two others are willing to risk travelling to the office and get on with the due process for release of funds.
There is no need for your wife to travel to office. Payroll can be logged in remotely and activated. If there is no option to remotely activate the system, options could be (a) pay the same amount as last time (b) pay 50% or some other percentage of last month's salary. (c) final settlements can also be paid in part.

Intimatioms to the bank can also be made online. I see no reason for your wife to travel but for an unreasonable insistence by the school management.

Last edited by AMG Power : 3rd April 2020 at 23:54.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 23:52   #445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Murphy's law is being borne out and proven true again with my family....
The full meaning of 'essential services' is beginning to dawn upon all of us, and it's similar stories everywhere.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 00:07   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
There is no need for your wife to travel to office. Payroll can be logged in remotely and activated. If there is no option to remotely activate the system, options could be (a) pay the same amount as last time (b) pay 50% or some other percentage of last month's salary. (c) final settlements can also be paid in part.
I don't think it works like that. And if it does, I think it shouldn't.

But I do agree with the first part of your post and need to do all that stuff myself
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 06:54   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think it works like that. And if it does, I think it shouldn't.
Finance control requires a 3 stage verification which can be done if the prepared payroll, is verified by another and authorised by a third.

Given that this is just a 100+ institution, an interim arrangement can be done even through excel if the base data is available. It doesn't have to be the exact final payout - it can be an adhoc payment which is a percentage of the actual payout with the final adjustments being done once the lockdown is lifted in a few days.

But as I mentioned, all of this depends on the management.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 09:11   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The full meaning of 'essential services' is beginning to dawn upon all of us, and it's similar stories everywhere.
Undoubtedly yes, I had never thought of routers and UPS for routers as essential items. How wrong I was!

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/74973667.cms
warrioraks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 13:24   #449
BANNED

ICMR has released the Corona statistics
Corona tests done till April 3, 9pm: 69245. (10,000 tests were done yesterday)
Corona positive cases : 2653
Corona tests done in Kerala : 8456
Corona positive cases : 286
Kerala has done 12% of total tests.
Kerala has 2.6% of India’s population. Even if you factor in the migrant population the percentage of tests is high.

So, the crux is that we need to test more people. Unless we don’t test more, after the lock down the cases will spread and the whole purpose would be defeated. We may have to keep many districts in lockdown post April 14. Ideally April 7 would give us the real effect of lock down. Fingers crossed. Guys please take travel decisions only if it is of utmost importance, please.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 13:29   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
ICMR has released the Corona statistics
Corona tests done till April 3, 9pm: 69245. (10,000 tests were done yesterday)
Worldometers.info has started publishing Total tests and Tests/1 million population for each country. They say India has done 116,608 tests so far.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed