Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 13:35   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
ICMR has released the Corona statistics
Corona tests done till April 3, 9pm: 69245. (10,000 tests were done yesterday)
Corona positive cases : 2653
Corona tests done in Kerala : 8456
Corona positive cases : 286
Kerala has done 12% of total tests.
Kerala has 2.6% of India’s population. Even if you factor in the migrant population the percentage of tests is high.

So, the crux is that we need to test more people. Unless we don’t test more, after the lock down the cases will spread and the whole purpose would be defeated. We may have to keep many districts in lockdown post April 14. Ideally April 7 would give us the real effect of lock down. Fingers crossed. Guys please take travel decisions only if it is of utmost importance, please.
I am little bit lost about this whole test business. We have almost 1.3b people. Obviously we cant test all in one day. it will take months to test all. Lets say I go out and get myself tested (which is actually a big risk in itself as hospitals and testing centers are the higher risk zones. Who knows, I may be negative now and may get the virus from somebody there!) Then, lets say still I brave the situation and get myself tested. What then? It does not mean I cannot get the virus at a later date. The susceptibility of the virus would still be the same (since not all can get tested and quarantined at the same time).

Even if testing were to happen at a massive scale, still there would be non zero chance of virus spreading. The testing centers themselves will be hotspots of spreading it (which is what is happening in many places, the hospitals are spreading it). Frankly I think our best bet is complete shutdown for some time, and whosoever show symptoms in this time, get tested, their neighbors, contacts etc also get tested. It has to be done with discretion. In the end, I think we have to be mentally prepared that we are gonna get this virus, all these measures notwithstanding as the chain can restart again and again!
joslicx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 13:45   #452
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Indian Railways issues 'restoration plan' to prepare for resumption of services from 15 April after 21-day suspension

https://www.firstpost.com/health/cor...n-8227711.html
Old 4th April 2020, 13:50   #453
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Worldometers.info has started publishing Total tests and Tests/1 million population for each country. They say India has done 116,608 tests so far.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
I have been following that for sometime, but if I quote that many would accept saying it’s from a Western source. One can see where we stand in terms of testing. There are only a handful of countries below us!

One thing should be kept in mind, there are asymptomatic carriers of Covid-19. They will be far more dangerous than those who show symptoms. So extensive testing of close contacts of Covid-19 positive cases needs to be conducted.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 15:27   #454
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore Bisleri Update (Banashankari and Mysore Road area):

I managed to find some cans in Hanumanth Nagar, but more importantly, I got a call just now from Bisleri customer care (had put in a inquiry on the website some days ago), and they said they'll redirect my request to nearest local distributor.

Just got a call from a gentleman in Rajarajeshwari Nagar, and he offered to home-deliver (both against a deposit or swap with empty cans, my choice). Told him I managed to find some and will call for a refill as needed.

Bisleri seem to be responding and restocking. Some respite. Those in need, please log a request on their website.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th April 2020 at 15:43. Reason: Typo.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 16:06   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Bangalore Bisleri Update (Banashankari and Mysore Road area):
I managed to find some cans in Hanumanth Nagar
Is it opposite to the HP Petrol Bunk, off 50 feet road?
Old 4th April 2020, 16:10   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Murphy's law is being borne out and proven true again with my family-
1) Day 1 of lockdown, a bathroom tap came apart
2) Day 3, we noticed that our reverse osmosis unit is malfunctioning
3) Day 5, our old washing machine gave up
4) Today, my long rotting molar tooth has begun letting me know that a root canal treatment is needed

Not even one of these things can be addressed during the lockdown! #4 can especially light a fire under my very existence...
5) My 4 year old fell over backwards from our dining table's top this afternoon and landed flat on her face. We drove at breakneck speed to the nearest private hospital's ER (with her bleeding nose and mouth, who could tell?) Thankfully the duty doctor said she's alright for the most part. The hospital is practically closed though and only their ER is functional. Thank God ( and God forbid, the government) that at least this essential service was made available to us!
locusjag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 16:14   #457
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Is it opposite to the HP Petrol Bunk, off 50 feet road?
Yes, same guy.

He mentioned he got a re-stocking call so supplies may normalize in a few days.
Old 4th April 2020, 16:24   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I am little bit lost about this whole test business. We have almost 1.3b people. Obviously we cant test all in one day. it will take months to test all.

Even if testing were to happen at a massive scale, still there would be non zero chance of virus spreading. The testing centers themselves will be hotspots of spreading it (which is what is happening in many places, the hospitals are spreading it). Frankly I think our best bet is complete shutdown for some time, and whosoever show symptoms in this time, get tested, their neighbors, contacts etc also get tested. It has to be done with discretion.
For some countries like Japan, limiting COVID tests to the most vulnerable and at-risk people is a part of the bigger strategy to optimize testing resources (eg use them more in hotspots located) and avoid overwhelming its healthcare infrastructure with a high percentage of infected population not needing intensive care.

Japan has tested just 39,466 people (as of 3rd April). But the relatively few deaths (69), despite this low screening rate, indicates that though the policy holds risks, it has worked for Japan. Whether Japan has dodged the pandemic and if India is following a similar strategy is still unknown!

Last edited by greenoval : 4th April 2020 at 16:33.
greenoval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 17:47   #459
BHPian

A look at how Italy is feeling the effects of the lockdown (I didn't know that their lockdown had been extended..to be honest I am not following their progress like before).

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/04/e...ntl/index.html

NOTE: It does show the danger of not providing our front line medical staff the care they deserve. They have 10,000 health care workers who are infected due to the lack of PPE just in the northern part of the country (which seems to be the more wealthy part of their nation).
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 17:55   #460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

NOTE: It does show the danger of not providing our front line medical staff the care they deserve. They have 10,000 health care workers who are infected due to the lack of PPE just in the northern part of the country....
This already is, or is becoming a major issue globally. Lack of protective gear is risking the well-being of the most vulnerable of essential services and healthcare workers.

Healthcare workers esp. need all the protection they can get, because the amount of training needed means they can't be replaced at short notice with volunteers like some other essential services, and it's unreasonable and immoral to expect them to risk their lives to protect others when equipment can and should be provided. Hopefully they get prioritized as supplies ramp up.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th April 2020 at 17:57.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:13   #461
BHPian

Quote:
5) My 4 year old fell over backwards from our dining table's top this afternoon and landed flat on her face. We drove at breakneck speed to the nearest private hospital's ER (with her bleeding nose and mouth, who could tell?) Thankfully the duty doctor said she's alright for the most part. The hospital is practically closed though and only their ER is functional. Thank God ( and God forbid, the government) that at least this essential service was made available to us!
Hope she is all fine and comes back safe and bright. Did you take her to Bethesda Hospital. Think they are open and are attending to all Emergency care. OP only.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:19   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Hope she is all fine and comes back safe and bright. Did you take her to Bethesda Hospital. Think they are open and are attending to all Emergency care. OP only.
Hey there, it was indeed Bethesda. We need to give her some anti-inflammatory medicines and apply an ice pack on her nose. She seems alright so far!
And you're right in that Bethesda hospital seems to have pared down all operations down to Emergency alone.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 20:03   #463
BHPian

Quote:
And you're right in that Bethesda hospital seems to have pared down all operations down to Emergency alone.
Good that your daughter is ok. My prayers for quick recovery.

Many hospitals are running in this mode now. I have regular appointments for parents and myself and all of those are now cancelled unless urgent. My father had a Surgery scheduled in April but even that now stands postponed. Hope things get better post 14th April.

Last edited by sunilch : 4th April 2020 at 20:05.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 20:48   #464
Senior - BHPian

Will the lockdown be extended beyond April 14th? Any pointers?
Old 4th April 2020, 21:20   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Will the lockdown be extended beyond April 14th? Any pointers?
Pointers will be the area where you stay.
I expect the government to have identified all hot spots, and the lockdown in these identified areas will be extended.
I also believe most large cities will be a part of these identified areas, as the virus can spread uncontrollably in populated areas.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks