Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 14:41   #511
TRR
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Then:

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-capture-1.jpg

Now:

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-capture-2.jpg

Make of the above what you will

But I can say this for sure, I'm reasonably satisfied that our government has done what was necessary, in spite of the incredibly varied set of challenges our country poses.
TRR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 14:44   #512
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Not really, please understand that we dont have options A, B, C, just look at america they tried to save economy without lock down now situation is they will loose people, economy, cripple healthcare system, and now risking lives of doctors and nurses.
Lockdown is our best chance and only option A and we have to take that risk , atleast we have a chance of recovering by slowly opening up the economy and saving more lives
Well you cannot have a prolonged lockdown. Already because of the lockdown there will be massive disruptions. A lot of industries would have lost their labor while lot of people would suddenly be jobless! There will be lot of consumers who want and need products but nobody to produce them (which could essentially cause huge inflation). There could be companies who want to produce stuff to meet all this demand but unfortunately no workers! This is going to be a very strange situation!

Alas, there are no easy answers. At some point lockdown will have to be lifted and life will have to come back to normal. We will all have to work to make our living. The virus will still be there lurking around. Its not going to go away, probably ever. So at some point the cost benefit analysis of the lockdown will have to be done.
joslicx is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 14:58   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Great resource and great video too, thanks for sharing!

I guess this is the most likely way things will unfold. Gradually lock downs will be relaxed in districts where there are no new cases and will become stricter in areas where cases are increasing rapidly or those already identified as hot spots. Am hoping for the best but also considering the possibility that the area I live in, may also be one of those where the lock down is extended because of the sheer population density here. Even if that is the case, I will be happy to see lock downs relaxed in other areas where it is deemed (by epidemiologists and medical health professionals and not by technical modelling experts, clueless politicians, or curfew-minded cops) safe to do so!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:35   #514
BANNED

There are high chances that lockdown can be extended. And I wish it must be extended, otherwise all that has been done till date to contain corona can go in vain. Also I wish government should not allow people to go out and purchase the necessities like vegetables etc, instead they should encourage local municipalities to door deliver the groceries.

Name:  Screenshot_20200407 Asian News International ANI Facebook.png
Views: 924
Size:  291.0 KB
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:50   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Also I wish government should not allow people to go out and purchase the necessities like vegetables etc, instead they should encourage local municipalities to door deliver the groceries.
I believe that is covered in that video but that was for specific identified hot-spots under stricter lock downs. Will it even be possible to do nation-wide?

(Edited the post to remove reference to the document, it was actually covered in the video.)

Quote:
Though with few hiccups, it is very much possible to implement it nationwide.
How? The manpower required will be huge. Will the army be required to do this? Just curious.

Last edited by am1m : 7th April 2020 at 16:56.
Old 7th April 2020, 16:52   #516
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I believe that is covered in that document that was shared and uploaded on the Ministry of Health website, but that was for specific identified hot-spots under stricter lock downs. Will it even be possible to do nation-wide?
Though with few hiccups, it is very much possible to implement it nationwide.
Old 7th April 2020, 16:53   #517
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
And I wish it must be extended

Till when should it be extended?
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:57   #518
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Until we see a significant downfall in the number of new cases, we are yet to see the peak, we are still on the upward slope. Then later on lockdown can be restricted to high-risk zones, while keeping a strict eye on interstate movements.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:08   #519
BHPian

I think we should extend the lock down till 01-May as of now and assess the situation as we approach the end of the month.
The right time for removing the lock down should be a week of continuous dwindling new cases. And as and when that happens, the lock down should be released in phases (in 3-4 weeks) with the current quarantine areas still under monitoring.
Money can be earned back, lost lives won't be.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:18   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Another year. Then only we can find out if it is working or not.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:24   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Wasn't that what this 21-day lock down was for? To give enough time for symptoms to manifest so identification of zones and isolation could be done? And to ramp up medical facilities. If we can't do it successfully in 21-days, will we be able to do it with an additional 7 or 14 or 21?

Does it make sense to now focus the state's resources on containment in those identified zones? Or continue to spread them thin over the entire country?

Also when I talk about 'lifting' lock downs, I certainly don't mean life back to normal. I'm assuming all public gatherings will still certainly remain banned, theaters and other places where people might gather will remain closed and those job functions that can work from home will continue to do so.

Those places that are identified as hot spots will be subject to stricter restrictions. And medical treatment for those affected in those areas.

But how about scientific and data-driven decisions on relaxing lock downs in places where it is safe to do so, not just a general 'keep the entire nation under lock down' again and again.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:26   #522
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Until we see a significant downfall in the number of new cases, we are yet to see the peak, we are still on the upward slope. Then later on lockdown can be restricted to high-risk zones, while keeping a strict eye on interstate movements.
If downfall happens, it doesn't mean virus has got bored and gone away. As soon as you lift the lockdown, it will start again & you will again see quick rise.

Quote:
we are yet to see the peak, we are still on the upward slope.
Peak during lockdown doesn't mean that it's the final peak. As soon as lockdown is opened & the rise will start again and new peaks will be established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The right time for removing the lock down should be a week of continuous dwindling new cases.

New cases will dwindle because of the lockdown. The day lockdown is lifted it will stop dwindling within a week or two.

Last edited by carboy : 7th April 2020 at 17:28.
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:27   #523
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I understand folks going for extension because we still see increasing numbers. But do you guys have solution how small industries and laborers can survive during these lockdowns?

Many of us in IT are relatively well off with WFH and full pay. Many have even given fully paid leave for domestic helps. But there is a much larger India out there without work and cash flow to keep the business running.

And its not like the everything returns back to 15-Mar-2020 at the end of lockdown. How do you guys think they will survive the extension?
m8002? is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:26   #524
BHPian

In an ideal scenario the government would have expected 0 or negligible cases of the infection going ahead from day 14th. Since, people getting infected on the day before lock down would have shown symptoms by day 14th and a buffer week to trace the last of the infected persons. But alas the world we live in is far from ideal. Looks like there is still a week to go before we reach the peak of the curve, given the governments efforts to trace the infected are succeeding. Certainly the Nizamuddin Markaz incident has pulled us back by few days at least. Hopefully authorities are able to trace all infections in the coming week and people understand the seriousness of the situation and start co-operating.
However, if the numbers are to be believed, it makes me happy that on this rare occasion we are doing better than the "developed" world
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:47   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I'm assuming all public gatherings will still certainly remain banned, theaters and other places where people might gather will remain closed and those job functions that can work from home will continue to do so.
Yes, that is the way to go. Places, where social distancing cannot be enforced, must not open. This includes movies theatre, social gatherings, meetings, seminars, and other crowded places. Factories, malls, shopping centers can open but with strict hygiene measures. All international arrivals must be under a 14-day quarantine at a government facility.

Public transport (buses, trains, domestic flights) is a challenge though. Compulsory wearing masks (cloth towels, dupattas or any other cloth as done in Orissa) will reduce the chances in public transport, but still there is a risk.

People would like to come out, work & earn a living. What we need is educating people on doing it safely.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed