Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2020, 08:00   #631
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

I am not a doctor, but I think the following method has the same goal
Quote:
Researchers are working on a new test to detect SARS-CoV-2 in the wastewater of communities infected with the virus. The wastewater-based epidemiology (WBE) approach could provide an effective and rapid way to predict the potential spread of novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) by picking up on biomarkers in feces and urine from disease carriers that enter the sewer system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Have a question for doctors and medical experts- Can group testing identify covid 19?
Wastewater test could provide early warning of COVID-19
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 08:02   #632
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
India is in full lockdown, but Two Land Rover Range Rover & two Toyota Fortuner are in the news today. ...
And Govt Principal Secretary is writing sifarish for someone to go out in the sun and have fun... Here we are locking each door left to go out, for gullible and commoner. 😞

PS- sorry for ranting.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 08:33   #633
Senior - BHPian

I think extending the lock down and ramping up the testing and contact tracing is the only sensible way out with least risk.

The government wasnt testing enough in the first 1.5 weeks of the lock down. Testing was ramped up only in the second half. That is the reason for a consistent increase in the number day by day.

May be the government was trying to artificially smoothen the detection curve by controlling the testing rate.

Last edited by F150 : 10th April 2020 at 08:35.
F150 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 09:47   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
If you end the lock down now, India will be next hot spot for sure which can lead to unimaginable tragic consequences.
Lockdown or no lockdown, its the mindset of some people in the country thats the biggest issue. No, this is not about Nizamuddin, or anything. It is the general rant that people are either super negligent, or highly misinformed or whatever. Even during lockdown, I have observed people finding ways to get out and roam around on the road. Perhaps there are 80% who are strictly following the orders while the rest dont give two hoots to it. They are the ones who feel they wont get affected or they can get done with it without any damage and so on.

IMO, the only strategy that will work in the longrun is localizing the outbreak after this lockdown, focussing resouces into these hotspots and managing the situation with greater restrictions only in these areas. Its practically impossible to continue the lockdown across the entire country and ensure that it is followed strictly as the cases increase. Instead, now that we have done two weeks in the lockdown phase:
  • Recognize these districts or urban areas which have been free from COVID cases
  • Lift restrictions in these areas
  • Move various resources like police staff, volunteers and medical support to the hot spots
  • Seal the hotspots completely and enforce stricter lockdown using the higher police force made available
  • Ensure there is just no movement of people from these hotspots
  • Even testing capacity can be focussed on these areas so that gradually they can start reducing the size of these hotspots
Personally, I feel extending a country wide lockdown after 14th would not be so effective since the hotspots are still causing higher number of cases while whatever we can call as COVID free areas are just causing loss of productivity especially if we take into account those working for factories of FMCG, retail businesses and shops etc. For the hotspot areas, of course I feel lockdown is definitely necessary at least in the form of preventing movement of people from Hotspots to COVID free areas. Then we will be back to square one and might have to face a bigger outbreak then.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th April 2020 at 10:11.
audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:05   #635
Senior - BHPian

Guys, all over India, especially Maharashra folks: are you still able to get the groceries without much issue?

In Pune the main market area (wholesale) has been locked. I imagine the effect may trickle down to retail soon.
Old 10th April 2020, 10:16   #636
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I like this one from JK Tyres
Name:  Creative 4  Stay Off The Road.png
Views: 2704
Size:  686.4 KB
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:18   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Guys, all over India, especially Maharashra folks: are you still able to get the groceries without much issue?

In Pune the main market area (wholesale) has been locked. I imagine the effect may trickle down to retail soon.
Yes, so far so good in Bangalore. Most of the crowded markets are moved to open grounds so that there is good spacing ensured between the shops and sales are being done with distancing measures in place. There have also been new marketplaces setup to prevent crowding at the central KR Market of Bangalore. Hence, I do no see an issue with respect to sales currently. I am not sure about the supply scene but.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:30   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
India is in full lockdown, but Two Land Rover Range Rover & two Toyota Fortuner are in the news today. Wadhavan Family of ILFS travelled in them to Mahabaleshwar, where they got caught.

ANI on Twitter:

Maharashtra: Members of Wadhavan Family of DHFL group have been placed under institutional quarantine by local police in Mahabaleshwar after they visited the town, violating the lockdown. The process to file a complaint has been initiated at the local police station.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ANI/statu...69847122739200

Source for pic & car details :
https://mobile.twitter.com/DarshilKM...96415966580736
Thank you for sharing this. If it is true I wonder if the Govt of MH will have the spine to sack this worthy. If the common man is being beaten by lathis then why not at least sack this senior official to set an example.

Khandala to Mahabeleshwar for a family resident in Mumbai does not sound like a family medical emergency. Never heard of a medical emergency requiring 4 high end SUVs. Not only had this officer grossly misused his position he has also, most probably, lied in writing.

I wonder what his " friendship" with DHFL is all about. DHFL as you know is infamous for its recent financial adventures.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th April 2020 at 10:35.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:56   #639
BHPian

Kerala govt is effectively using IT to tackle Covid19 crisis:

https://dashboard.kerala.gov.in/

#KeralaFightsCorona
Romins is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 11:14   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
PS: Found this thread on SwineFlu, for a laid-back read, when T-BHP discussed H1N1 in 2009 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-page-7-a.html (Swine Flu Information - Important Information in post#102 on Page 7) (1st case reported in 12th post)
Totally off topic:

Bloody hell post#17th on 17th may 2009! Little did I know at that time that this post below would be my last post on teambhp as a normal person. And 1.5 hours after I made that post my life would change forever.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-flupost.png

Till now I never knew (forgot) we had a swine flu thread and that I had posted in it
Old 10th April 2020, 11:52   #641
Senior - BHPian

Trust me when I say this. I myself didn’t want to go out to office when most of the corporate firms were providing work from home, whilst my company was still considering options. But, imagine these policemen & medical staff fighting head-on with this enemy with no physical form.

Yet, there are so petty minded folks out there breaking all the lockdown / seal down rules and causing havoc putting everyone at risk.

We all have thought down of our policemen at one / the other instance but look at the post given by our fellow Bhpian in this thread that shows how good our police people are!

All hail our medical staff & policemen who are keeping us all with our family safe & sound while they are out battling our stupidities & that deadly virus.

May god bless them all, god bless India & the world!
gururajrv is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 12:12   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Are the state authorities doing this? In Kerala, the Chief Minister's update at 6pm everyday provide with these statistics. And I agree, the regular updates help to keep the anxiety levels down and give some kind of assurance to the public.
Very true. A lot of people here are updated on what's happening daily so there's less chaos. I make sure to watch the CM's update daily and seldom watch other news updates.

Even the cops on the streets are pretty strict even now. My wife had to go out yesterday to collect free ration for our maid. She was stopped by the cops and they collected all details. They strictly asked her to go alone the next time. Pretty good job by them. Also, almost all are now delivering stuff home. Even the local shops in the market collected her order and said he would deliver the stuff home (vegs/fruits/meat and other essential items). So very less people venturing out now.

And this is the latest along with the rapid test kits that arrived yesterday.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-whatsapp-image-20200410-00.08.16.jpeg
naveen.raju is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 12:55   #643
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
India is in full lockdown, but Two Land Rover Range Rover & two Toyota Fortuner are in the news today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Never heard of a medical emergency requiring 4 high end SUVs. Not only had this officer grossly misused his position he has also, most probably, lied in writing.
The IPS Officer has been sent on leave as per the news channels. Even if there was a 'family emergency', why do they need 3 Toyota Fortuners filled with bodyguards/servants/cooks to follow them! I guess their staff also had some sort of emergency. Under the Disaster Management Act, making a false claim to get any relief during lockdown may result in imprisonment for up to 2yrs!

When the DHFL scam broke out last year, they sold off some of their fancy cars like the Rolls Royce Phantom, Bentley Mulsanne Speed & Ferrari 488 Spider. They can be spotted on the Supercars in Hyderbad thread.
PPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 13:07   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post

I do not envy politicians currently. For all the times they did diddly squat and we paid the price, they now have to choose between the devil's alternatives. Of course, we still pay the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Too right! It was not in anyone's manifesto to describe how they would deal with a major disease, and nobody asked. Furthermore, it is almost unrealistic to expect politicians to be first-rate managers, which is what this situation requires. World over, more and more politicians are trained only in... politics. Tweaking an economic policy a little according to their agenda (which got voted for) may be within their competence, not coping with world-scale disasters. It is almost unreasonable to expect them to be able to do it. But they have to.
Something I had been thinking about for the last few days. But I kind of have a different opinion. I think several of our leaders at the top(across center and state) have reacted well and have taken decisive decisions. Things like shutting down the airways, railways and other public transportation, doing this 3 week lock-down, dealing with violators, process for movement of essentials are all huge decisions and I don't think are easy ones to make. With the 3 week lock-down coming to an end, what needs to be done next are also big and difficult decisions. We can be keyboard warriors and put forth what ever opinions we want, but we don't need to take those difficult decisions.

Looking at how the leaderships of many other countries(including some of the big and developed countries) have been stumbling along without being able to take some decisive actions and doing things retrospectively or in half measure, I think our leadership has responded well.

Now, whether all the decisions are right or wrong can be debated to the end of time (as is already happening), but that is not my point here.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 10th April 2020 at 13:09.
Rajeevraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 14:15   #645
BHPian

There are some 'RUMORS' floating about on sealing off parts or whole of Bangalore. Can people in the know throw some light on it?

I would absolutely hate to have to go out for stocking up today! It's gotten damn tiring to stand in a grocery queue for upto an hour to get supplies (mostly veg, fruits, etc) for 3/4 days.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks