Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2020, 13:59   #841
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

I was in two minds after reading both arguments, for and against.

Then I came across some article on how it escalated in Italy and realized if it happens in India, the Italy situation will be way dwarfed by our horror. We are too densely populated and poor as well.

That said I do see valid points against the lock down, and I, in no way, think that they are far fetched or wrong.

Unfortunately we are picking the lesser evil and it is the lockdown for me.

I hope that the governments take care of the migrants and labour stuck i their state as that would help them survive till 3rd of May.

I voted in favour of the lockdown, After that though business has to start.

- Slick
Old 15th April 2020, 14:08   #842
Team-BHP Support

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

The govt is allowing the opening of the IT sector from 20th April onwards.

If I need to buy a laptop, can I?

Will it have to be ordered online via Amazon, or will the likes of HP and Dell physical stores also be open?
Old 15th April 2020, 14:17   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Will it have to be ordered online via Amazon, or will the likes of HP and Dell physical stores also be open?
There are relaxations for eCommerce industries and the movement of their trucks too. Courier service also will be allowed to function.

By this, I would presume Amazon and the likes will start accepting and delivering orders for Electronic and other goods.

As I said, I only presume this is likely going to be the case after 20th when I read the document shared through various channels including the one posted here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:23   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Soon we all will be on roads.
On a lighter note, this line has a totally contradictory meaning in some regional languages!

It means we'll lose everything - our homes & our livelihood - and will be on roads!
Safety is Param is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:26   #845
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There are relaxations for eCommerce industries and the movement of their trucks too. Courier service also will be allowed to function.

Where is this mentioned?
Old 15th April 2020, 14:40   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Where is this mentioned?
MHA guidelines, posted on previous page.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:24   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But what I believe the relief is under State Government's discretion. For cities like Mumbai and Pune where there are numerous hotspots, I guess the restriction would still continue.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-hotspot.jpg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 15th April 2020 at 15:26.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:43   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
As I said, I only presume this is likely going to be the case after 20th when I read the document shared through various channels including the one posted here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Where is this mentioned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
But what I believe the relief is under State Government's discretion. For cities like Mumbai and Pune where there are numerous hotspots, I guess the restriction would still continue.
If this is the situation among people like us who are online, have access to several news sources and channels, for a reasonably straightforward query like this, is it any wonder several people from different levels of society are very unclear about what exactly is going on with respect to far more serious issues?

No doubt it's a grave situation and governments are doing what they can, but some sort of clear communication of the strategy, what exactly it means on the ground would be of immense help and I think not out of the possibility of the government agencies. Wish the central and state governments would use airtime and the media better instead of giving vague reassurances, and leaving specifics open to interpretation, speculation and devious-twisting by our usual half-baked 'news' channels.

Last edited by am1m : 15th April 2020 at 15:45.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:17   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
While checking few news sites, It was funny to see the stories from film stars and cricketing community which look like planted. These guys are going to be affected in the long term. So to keep audiences and public engaged they are coming up with some irrelevant stories time to time. Sample one

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...S6Anz1fiJ.html

You can see many such stories in the online media.
Yes. They feel the need to keep reminding people that they are still around, lest people forget about them in this lockdown. Their bank balances and egos are boosted based on their popularity amongst the masses and a drop will affect their earnings and lifestyle. Many such videos of Kohli-Anushka, Ranbir-Deepika, Katrina washing vessels, Malaika arora making laddoos can comfortably be counted amongst the most irrelevant ones.

Makes you wonder, what if after the lockdown, the aam aadmi realizes they need to concentrate on their own work and not indulge in such celebrities. The entire entertainment industry will collapse.

That aside, I guess today's guidelines from the MHA on making some services available after 20th April is a welcome move. E-commerce will hopefully help revive many livelihoods and daily earnings.

Last edited by hrman : 15th April 2020 at 16:19.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 17:31   #850
BHPian

We've lot of variations in understanding the severity of the current situation, due to educational differences, economic status & few other factors. A complete lockdown is a necessary evil to overcome this challenge.
Here in Australia, the situation, while grim in the beginning, has improved significantly because after some intial hiccups (e.g. bondi beach gathering), people did understand the gravity of the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
...I can guarantee that there will be many people who will somehow sneak out from those sealed places (through shortcuts, bribes etc) and mingle with the rest of the population. The fact that majority of the infected patients show no symptoms will make this worse...
Spot on. In my home district, a quiet corner of Rajasthan, there were no corona cases till few days back, however 2 folks from a delhi gathering reached back surreptitiously, didn't follow quarantine and mixed with local folks. Once symptoms showed up, they reached hospital.
Now part of the district headquarters is under curfew & police is searching frantically in nearby towns and villages.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bha...127156654.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.patri...itive-5992778/

Last edited by RaviK : 15th April 2020 at 17:49. Reason: Added another url for reference
RaviK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 17:57   #851
BHPian

People voting against this do not realise Italy is a more developed country with more resources and look what happened to them.

If something along the lines of Italy's case were to happen here, it will unstoppable. That will be the end of any hopes to control the spread. Cases will increase exponentially and into the lakhs within a short period of time.

I cannot speak for anybody else, but I value my life DEARLY. I'd rather be in my home than contract this monstrosity that china unleashed, and die.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th April 2020 at 17:58.
Old 15th April 2020, 18:20   #852
BANNED

Voted the third option. The (more extreme) no.
We will kill more people from hunger that we will from Corona Virus.

And what is the guarantee that there will not be a second, more extreme wave when the restrictions are lifted? Then people will not even take precautions, as illustrated by the shepherd who cried wolf.
turbo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 18:46   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
People voting against this do not realise Italy...

I cannot speak for anybody else, but I value my life DEARLY. I'd rather be in my home than contract this monstrosity that china unleashed, and die.
I voted NO, but that doesn't mean I'm not scared of losing my life or suffering from the effects of Covid19. It is just that we have to also think of others who might lose their lives in equally horrendous ways like starvation which is a side effect of the "lockdown disease". There are no easy answers, but we cannot just ignore a set of people who are definitely going to be hurt by a man made calamity called the lockdown.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 19:00   #854
BHPian

I voted for Yes. I don’t think opening the factories and business are going to yield much at this time as mostly will not return to work immediately however, it will definitely pose great risk of spreading the infection.
Old 15th April 2020, 19:06   #855
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post

Absolutely. Lockdown is the best way for people who can afford to stay inside to protect themselves.
carboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed