Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2020, 19:32   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Lockdown 2.0: IT, IT enabled services allowed to operate at 50% of strength : URL

How does this work? If the district, for example Bangalore is marked as a Hotspot would IT/ITES still be allowed to work at 50% staff ? Looks dangerous.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 19:49   #857
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Lockdown 2.0: IT, IT enabled services allowed to operate at 50% of strength : URL

How does this work? If the district, for example Bangalore is marked as a Hotspot would IT/ITES still be allowed to work at 50% staff ? Looks dangerous.
There are specific wards that are marked as Hotspots. Not the entire City , yet. But still it'll be interesting to see how they are going manage this situation with IT/ITES ops given a go ahead.
Old 15th April 2020, 20:47   #858
BHPian

I for one have voted for a lockdown.
Now, while I empathise 100% with daily labourers and their hardships and their need to go home, I completely believe that this should not be allowed to happen. Taking the hypothetical example, if a daily-wager who is an asymptotic carrier of the disease is travelling home by a special train, he may infect 100’s if not 1000’s on his way home. This may lead to the spread of the disease in hitherto untouched places of India. Remember our health facilities in the hinterland are abysmal to say the least and it will be very difficult to control the disease in those settings. It’s better to have clusters in metro cities where atleast there are resources to tackle the spread. It’s better to have an infected labourer in quarantine in Mumbai than allow him to carry the disease with him to untouched districts of UP/Bihar/Jharkhand.
Also I don’t get the argument a few left leaning commentators are making on twitter that if we are evacuating citizens from abroad why not do it in India. Don’t these guys get the fact that we have evacuated a few thousands from abroad and all were under quarantine for 14 days. Quarantining a few lakhs of daily wagers who would have taken the special trains would have not been humanly possible with our limited finances.
Also with my limited knowledge of economics, I wish the government loosens its fiscal deficit targets and gives support to everyone; from daily wagers to industries and service sectors to bounce back soon. We now have golden opportunity to become a manufacturing hub with growing anti Chinese sentiments the world over and I hope we capitalise on it.
DrPriyankT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 20:55   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I voted NO, but that doesn't mean I'm not scared of losing my life or suffering from the effects of Covid19. It is just that we have to also think of others who might lose their lives in equally horrendous ways like starvation which is a side effect of the "lockdown disease". There are no easy answers, but we cannot just ignore a set of people who are definitely going to be hurt by a man made calamity called the lockdown.
As I said, I was speaking for myself. If you think that is selfish, well I am sorry, but I don't have any intentions in changing your mind. I really am terrified by this situation. Yes, starvation is definitely an issue, but I'd rather spent some time and explore my options than have the lockdown lifted and risk getting infected, especially when my district is a recognised hotspot for the pandemic.

This is a poll, everybody has the freedom to have their own opinions, if your opinion is contrary, I can only appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Absolutely. Lockdown is the best way for people who can afford to stay inside to protect themselves.
I am not any millionaire who can afford a bunker to stay inside for eternity. I also make sacrifices when I decided that lockdown is the best option now.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th April 2020 at 21:20.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 21:09   #860
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I am not any millionaire who can afford a bunker to stay inside for eternity.
One doesn't need a bunker. All one needs is enough resources to manage for a few months without going in search of charity food organized by social service people or politicians or govt etc. As long as one can mostly stay at home only go occasionally for grocery (or even get that delivered), that's the best way to keep oneself safe.

Last edited by carboy : 15th April 2020 at 21:14.
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 21:16   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
One doesn't need a bunker. All one needs is enough resources to manage for a few months without going in search of charity food organized by social service people or politicians or govt etc. As long as one can mostly stay at home only go occasionally for grocery (or even get that delivered), that's the best way to keep oneself safe.
Thank you. But one must also be wary of not hoarding resources. I have seen several videos through various medium of people buying stuff like groceries etc. en masse, some of which can last much more than just a few months. During the initial phase of the march lockdown, procuring veggies, rice etc. was the greatest difficulty because of a shortage.

P.s. I think I jumped the gun and misjudged your previous reply, it has since been edited and I apologise.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th April 2020 at 21:21.
Old 15th April 2020, 22:14   #862
BHPian

For all those singing about a lockdown, just because they perceive that they have the resources, I would like to see what tune they sing in the next 6 months, where in they lose their jobs and have expenses, with only 3 months in the bank.
Don't think this is hypothetical, a large majority of corporate India is sailing in this very boat.
AirbusCapt is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 22:18   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post
I for one have voted for a lockdown.
Now, while I empathise 100% with daily labourers and their hardships and their need to go home, I completely believe that this should not be allowed to happen. Taking the hypothetical example, if a daily-wager who is an asymptotic carrier of the disease is travelling home by a special train, he may infect 100’s if not 1000’s on his way home.
I take you as a Doctor, please tell me, how is the government planning to take care of such guys from the spread of virus living in miserable conditions.

I am sure by now, everyone will accept that these guys are living in open or makeshift camps and if anyone is affected, he/ she would be spreading the disease within. With limited or no testing and no way to return, what’s the future for these guys.

For a moment we can even consider hypothetical options as well. But can anyone tell me what’s going to happen.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 23:23   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

True. And how they expect the '50%' workforce to reach offices when public transport/local trains/metros/cabs etc are not in function?

Even if they are will anyone dare to travel in public transport at such time?

Can't they focus on the more problematic areas instead of the industry which is accomodating the WFH model quite well? What is the hurry to rush people to office so early?
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 23:36   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I take you as a Doctor, please tell me, how is the government planning to take care of such guys from the spread of virus living in miserable conditions.

I am sure by now, everyone will accept that these guys are living in open or makeshift camps and if anyone is affected, he/ she would be spreading the disease within. With limited or no testing and no way to return, what’s the future for these guys.

For a moment we can even consider hypothetical options as well. But can anyone tell me what’s going to happen.
I agree, people may even contract the disease in the camps, but my point is, if someone contracts the virus in a camp which is situated in a city, medical facilities are available way more readily. Plus you don’t have the issue of contact tracing which would have happened had a worker travelled by train or bus on his or her way home. Contact tracing for the Nizamuddin Jamaat is still an ongoing process even though we came to know of the issue in end of March. They had to trace so many people in various trains and people who would have come in contact with the attendees. Atleast in transit camps this step won’t need to take place. Remember a single missed untraceable infected individual can potentially infect so many others.
DrPriyankT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 23:45   #866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Remember a single missed untraceable infected individual can potentially infect so many others.
Correct, so what’s the future? One thing is sure, hospitals/ isolation wards in our large cities can also take load to an extent. How long can you keep them and let the infection spread.

I was looking for answers to the problem, even hypothetical from the guys who support this lockdown. Am sure, we cannot be kept locked forever and everyone agrees.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 23:58   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Correct, so what’s the future? One thing is sure, hospitals/ isolation wards in our large cities can also take load to an extent. How long can you keep them and let the infection spread.

I was looking for answers to the problem, even hypothetical from the guys who support this lockdown. Am sure, we cannot be kept locked forever and everyone agrees.
IMHO the final solution is development of herd immunity and concomitant development of a vaccine. Also a liberal dose of prayers is needed so that the virus does not develop a wild more lethal subtype, thereby throwing a curveball at us.

As our honourable PM rightly said, life will no longer be the same after all this ends. We need to be extra vigilant and adapt to the new normal of maintaining enhanced levels of hygiene . I know it’s easier said than done,but we need to do it. We also need to maintain stricter levels of scrutiny at airports and other posts of entries to ensure no foreigners returnees come to India as carriers once we have flattened the curve. If I had a say in decision making, I will not allow any foreigners travel into India for atleast two months.
DrPriyankT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 00:04   #868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IMHO the final solution is development of herd immunity and concomitant development of a vaccine. Also a liberal dose of prayers is needed.
Thanks Doctor. I am sure you and your colleagues must be doing everything you can but when a Doctor tells me to pray, I have no more questions.

Stay safe and take care.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 00:39   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
True. And how they expect the '50%' workforce to reach offices when public transport/local trains/metros/cabs etc are not in function?
Guys, relax, no one is going to force you to work on-site. No organization is going to hurry its staff into office and risk infection without double / triple checking that suitable measures are in place, which includes transportation and staggered lunch hrs in office.

Most importantly, there are a lot of things that are still going to unfold between now & April 20 / May 3.

Life has never been so dynamic!

And, for people who are everyday singing the anti-lockdown tune (which is not a crime, BTW) and warning about a recession/depression/hard/gloomy days - just because you haven't seen the other side of the story doesn't mean it's rosy.

When news of people falling to this virus - and hospitals over flowing with patients - would have been all over the place, I would like to know how many of these "soldiers" would have ventured out to their jobs just as any other day, or how many families would have allowed their sole breadwinners to go to work, how many would have exemplified bravery, ventured outside, only to return and infect their toddlers and aged parents.

There is no consensus in this - and there is only negativity and pessimism in all threads Covid-19 on this forum and elsewhere - however, we do have an administration, and we should have faith in it.

Warning people about recession and their bank balances is not going to help the situation.

Just my 2 cents - YMMV

Last edited by Safety is Param : 16th April 2020 at 00:56.
Safety is Param is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 10:36   #870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
for people who are everyday singing the anti-lockdown tune and warning about a recession/depression/hard/gloomy days.

- and there is only negativity and pessimism in all threads Covid-19 on this forum and elsewhere - however, we do have an administration, and we should have faith in it.
Look, recession is a certain and we are already in no matter we open the lockdown now or in May or later. Most salaried and business guys will come over even if they tell otherwise. Worst case, they will limit some luxuries but in most they can fulfil necessities.

We can deal with the economy/ jobs/ business later when things normalize. This is good for a majority of people who are reading this. Now, what about the other not so privileged guys? Let’s even assume that the Government is taking care and no one will go hungry, but then what? Is there anyone here who thinks by keeping ourselves locked we can get over this disease? If yes, then surely I am with all you but if you can’t assure, then I would like to face the issue now instead of facing after 2 months.

Remember the old Stories where under attack some kings will close the doors of their forts and army will wait outside patiently only to hit them after a time and by then everybody will get exhausted to put a fight. I can’t say about others but am feeling much low than what I was 2 weeks ago. We have used our forces to clamp violators, seal localities even when there is no present case and am sure doctors would be equally under pressure even if there are fewer patients at this moment. We could have used these resources to fight the disease and not our people, which unfortunately is the case. Look at the headlines at some places, police confiscating so many vehicles and putting walkers to jail, could we not have used them in a more productive work which will be required, eventually.

Belief in administration is a must, but they should tell us what’s the plan. If they continue to say that they will do as appropriate at that moment that does not inspire confidence.

Edit - just came across this news and I am certain this is not going to be the last. Now think about all those camps and places where hundreds of thousands are just sitting ducks.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coro...home-topscroll

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th April 2020 at 10:59.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks