Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 16:14   #946
BANNED

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This is more or less the situation in Kerala and many places the locals have reached a boiling point. There is always two sides to the coin is what I always said.
Here is another incident of minor agitation reported in another camp. The problem is not scarcity of food but lack of variety. Food was wasted because they won't eat because they are fed up with Rice and Sambar.

Morning: Upma or Puttu or Rice gruel or Idli
Lunch: Rice + Sambar + Thoran + Ozhichu koottan + Pickle
Dinner: Rice or Chapati

Src: https://www.mathrubhumi.com/thrissur...2020-1.4697367

I think they should be thankful to these volunteers that they have something in their stomachs to take a dump in the morning. The menu does not look bad either. Variety is not a choice in these difficult times for even natives. But then logic always does not work.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th April 2020 at 20:19. Reason: Quoted post edited, related response removed
Sankar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 16:15   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Migrants complaining about food was also reported in Bangalore by bangalore mirror. Migrants say they are not used to South Indian food.
I have seen this happening with my employees too. The amount of arrogance showed is ridiculous. There are people who are genuinely poor but there is an equal number of people who pretend to be poor. Invariably I was forced to terminate them from work as they were spoiling the entire team.

They need to learn the value of what is in their hands.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2020 at 07:38. Reason: Slightly toned down, quoted post edited
nkrishnap is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 16:37   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Migrants complaining about food was also reported in Bangalore by bangalore mirror. Migrants say they are not used to South Indian food.
This is a universal problem within India. Part of it is cultural too. Imagine the entire middle class holed up in rescue camps. There will be a similar if not larger problem demanding food of individual taste(s). Plus demands like "I do not want food cooked in coconut oil" and so on.

This is a learning for us. We should learn to eat most types of food as part of diet. May not be possible to try everything but at least understand that you can survive on Roti/chapati as well as boiled rice/sona masoori/Red rice. It begins from childhood and yes, its a topic for another discussion.

I am wondering how people will or would have survived a situation like World War II. People survived on pea soup and dry/rotten bread. For those who want to know the details must read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl.

Such issues (Demands for food etc.) makes me think once again that we should have allowed a window for migrants to get back home. If students can be allowed to travel within India why not migrants ? How is the risk different for students vs migrant labour ? And there is also talks and discussion going on to get some of the NRI's from Gulf region back to India. Is there any lesser risk in that ?

And on a trivial note, the ones who will adjust with any kind of food are the ones who ate hostel food during the 80s and 90s (pun intended) I have heard things got better these days.

Update:

Bangalore is offering Wi-Fi to migrants so that they can make calls to families and also stream content to keep them engaged.

More details here

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2020 at 07:39. Reason: Quoted post edited
sunishsamuel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 18:07   #949
BHPian

Quote:
As for that wedding, sheer arrogance and the police should be accountable for allowing this to happen
All the people accountable should be sacked with immediate affect and the violators punished at least for the sake of people following with due diligence. Else they will be made to look like fools if these so called VVIP's are let go without any action.
Old 18th April 2020, 18:16   #950

Nightmare for underprivileged.

Looming job losses,further drop in demand and further job losses... vicious downward spiral.

The silver lining could be, India may have an opportunity in manufacturing , post Corona epidemic as countries are seething with anger against China and its opaque regime.
Old 18th April 2020, 18:22   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe we should refer to these fellow countrymen as 'out of state workers' or 'workers from other states' and not as migrants. In recent years the phrase 'migrants' or immigrants' has acquired a tainted tone thanks mouthings of politicians {e.g. Trump} and portrayals in the international & Indian media. In their shoes we, the so called educated, may not have behaved very differently.
V.Narayan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 18:29   #952
Senior - BHPian

Came across this very sad news on TNM:

Quote:
Indian parents in UAE attend son's funeral in Kerala virtually due to travel curbs

The family had to watch the funeral of their cancer-stricken son on Facebook as they could not accompany his body flown to Kerala due to travel restrictions, the Gulf News reported.

Born on Easter in 2004, Jeuel G Jomay lost his seven-year-long battle with cancer on Good Friday, a day before he turned 16 on April 11.
Read full article here:

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...l-curbs-122835
Warwithwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 19:16   #953
BANNED

Quote:
...We have around 21 staff in our apartment. We the committee members decided, the staff can stay in our premises if they wish, one month ration was provided. All were paid extra bonus and they are all happy.
This is happening in almost every society I know of. We have about 20 people staying in our society. They are all being paid in full. A part of the common area has been designated for them to cook for themselves. They have also been provided with gas cylinders free of charge. Plus, volunteers are taking up the responsibility of feeding them home cooked meals when they can. April 8th was our turn in my house to cook breakfast for all 20.

Quote:
...How many of us have allowed our maids to stay at our homes?....
Most people do not need to. Domestic maids typically comes from families that live nearby.

Incidentally, since we are talking about this, I don't have statistics to cite here; but my sense is that domestic maids are by far the most stable vein of employment in that strata of society. They typically stay put in one geographic location. Many of them have worked at their employers' houses for a very long time to the point that they are almost part of the family. I know at least 5 houses where this is the case.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th April 2020 at 20:24. Reason: Quoted post deleted
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 19:30   #954
Senior - BHPian

All government offices in Karnataka will start functioning from the 20th of April 2020 - albeit with limited staff.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img20200418wa0001.jpg

Time to buckle up.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 19:41   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I believe we should refer to these fellow countrymen as 'out of state workers' or 'workers from other states' and not as migrants. In recent years the phrase 'migrants' or immigrants' has acquired a tainted tone thanks mouthings of politicians {e.g. Trump} and portrayals in the international & Indian media. In their shoes we, the so called educated, may not have behaved very differently.
You know the reference was changed to guest worker or athithi thozhilali by Kerala government recently. That is not gone well with activists, They argue guest worker is discriminative and migrant worker should be used. Reason guest worker sounds they can't settle in the state.
Atleast we are not using 'aliens' like US does much before Trump? You know how insulting that is?

Quote:
Most people do not need to. Domestic maids typically comes from families that live nearby.
Not true atleast in Bangalore. It is 70% v/s 30% atleast in our apartment. We have over 100 maids. Most of these are from a single state which I dont want to name. All are well behaved and hardly faced any issue. The problem in Kerala is organised syndicates and local forces controlling them.

Regarding food, I don't have problem in people being fuzzy about food. But the discussion here was turning one sided saying migrants are dying of hunger. So this needed a correction. This is not the time to bother about such likes and dislikes.
Quote:
Each time someone forwards such a news, they add a pinch of masala of their own. What started as white rice would finally end up as the very biriyani that they "allegedly" asked for.
So what do you suggest? Not report any such incidents or censor them since some one will misuse the news.

MOD NOTE - Please be polite in your replies.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2020 at 20:02. Reason: Mod note attached.
poloman is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th April 2020, 21:59   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
All government offices in Karnataka will start functioning from the 20th of April 2020 - albeit with limited staff.

Time to buckle up.
Could you post a translation please?

Last edited by rjainv : 18th April 2020 at 22:04. Reason: Fix grammar
Old 18th April 2020, 22:17   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Atleast we are not using 'aliens' like US does much before Trump? You know how insulting that is?
Depends on the tone of voice. But without negative weighting, it simply means a foreigner, and is quite possibly a technical description in the immigration law of some English-speaking countries.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 22:31   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Migrants...
No where in that article is it written that migrant workers are refusing to eat South Indian food. There is only a line about migrant workers pooling money to by some flour to make rotis as they are not used eating rice every day. At the end they are just saying they would prefer to go home. This is no different from many educated and relatively well off Indians stuck all over the world posting social media messages asking GOI to evacuate them.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2020 at 07:41. Reason: Quoted post edited
Theyota is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 22:47   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
Could you post a translation please?
18 departments deemed to be essential services were already functional from the last few days. The present order mandates compulsory presence in offices of group A & B officers of ALL government departments from the 20th. C & D group employees will work on rotation basis, while operating at 33% capacity.

On another note, the peekaboo played by the government today in first allowing two wheelers to ply without passes (from 20-04-2020) and then rescinding the order speaks volumes of how ill prepared the system is in handling the crisis.

The 50% workforce at IT-BT offices order too has been withdrawn. Work From Home will continue till 3rd May.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 00:58   #960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I read the article. Nowhere did they refuse food. Here is the relevant paragraph. Infact right below it says that when volunteers come there is literally a fight for survival as people rush to get the food. Saying that they are not used to this is not same as "refusing food". The volunteers are not going back with full bags right?

Please be a little cautious in twisting words, esp in these times.

Quote:
In the hot tin sheds, where around 10 labourers sleep on mats, it’s like a furnace. The boys prefer sitting outside during the day. It’s cooler. (There’s one table fan inside, running on power drawn from the construction site.) Also, they can spot the volunteers who bring them food.

“Though the government is distributing rations, we are not getting it. Over the past couple of days, we are getting food packets from volunteers. But we are not used to having South Indian food,” says Shakil Ahmed.

When some of the boys fell sick, they collected money and bought flour to make rotis for them. Some of them have pots and pans which they brought along, when they thought they were fleeing to their home towns, just when the lockdown was announced. “If I had money, I would have rented a van like the others and escaped,” says a construction worker who does not wish to be identified. Just then someone calls out that they see a volunteer coming with food. There’s an exodus towards the van with food.

The workers crowd around the van. It’s a fight for survival. There is no physical distance. Satiating hunger is a priority. The threat of a coronavirus infection is as far away in their minds as are their homes. As is the belief that this will be over soon.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2020 at 07:41. Reason: Quoted post edited
tsk1979 is offline   (19) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed