Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 13:48   #1036
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
flour mills.
Glad to hear that. I was well prepared for working from home. So I didn't face much difficulty with the lockdown. But 2 closures affected me:
1) Fitness center
2) Flour mills.
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:02   #1037
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

All said and done,

What are the options now, realistically, with Government of India post 3rd May ?

1) Extend lockdown further by few more weeks (probably till May 20th ? )
2) Terminate the lockdown completely but with general advise on Social distancing and work from home ?
3) Relax lockdown with only some of the services resuming, while interstate travel/airtravel/migration still restricted ?

As i can see from the trends the total infection count is still to reach its peak, and i do not forsee the COVID infection rate reaching its peak before atleast till 1st week of June.
DCEite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:56   #1038
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
All said and done,

What are the options now, realistically, with Government of India post 3rd May ?

2) Terminate the lockdown completely but with general advise on Social distancing and work from home ?
3) Relax lockdown with only some of the services resuming, while interstate travel/airtravel/migration still restricted ?

As i can see from the trends the total infection count is still to reach its peak, and i do not forsee the COVID infection rate reaching its peak before atleast till 1st week of June.
I dont think either 1 or 2 are options. The only viable option is 3. Gradually start relaxing it. My guess is Cinemas, schools, malls and marriages will be the last to be undone.
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:10   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think either 1 or 2 are options. The only viable option is 3. Gradually start relaxing it. My guess is Cinemas, schools, malls and marriages will be the last to be undone.
Accordance to that I would highly recommend any public park to remain closed and have no available public transport. Except private cabs (uber, Ola) and private cars there must be no usage of auto, buses, trains, trams, etc that involves any sort of contact.
In short leisure and entertainment places must vanish for a longer duration. Rules such carrying hand sanitizers, gloves and masks must be made mandatory. If not followed- must face strict consequences.

I highly doubt that the people will follow rules and that the government will land up extending the lockdown.
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:26   #1040
BANNED

Quote:
I dont think either 1 or 2 are options
Don't write-off option 1. It's the easiest option for politicians to take. They will not be criticised for option1. But can be criticised for any other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Accordance to that I would highly recommend any public park to remain closed and have no available public transport. Except private cabs (uber, Ola) and private cars there must be no usage of auto, buses, trains, trams, etc that involves any sort of contact.
So only those who can afford private cars or cabs should be allowed to travel. The ones who probably have enough resources to go without pay for a few months should be allowed to travel but others shouldn't?
carboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:27   #1041
Team-BHP Support

There was a brief by a Minister today regarding new rules for Doctors & others. The way he went to explain the efforts in building up medical infrastructure since past 3 months, I get a feel that they will now reopen with riders.

Many people can continue staying at home even after they open, many IT people can collaborate online. Same way, aged/ retired or people with underlying diseases can easily stay at home.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:37   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Lockdown will never be extended till 20th May, because the current lockdown ends on 3rd May. If you are in the first half of the month, extend till the middle of the month. If you are in the second half, extend till end of the month!.

On a serious note, IMO option 2 is the ideal one, but involves risk. But we can never end lockdown without some risk involved.

Option 3 in India will lead to utter chaos!.

Example-

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le31392220.ece
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:39   #1043
Senior - BHPian

At the way cases are rising even with the lockdown in place, the only way forward is a increased lockdown period till the end of May with increased testing. Any opening or relaxing of the lockdown will put us back even more.

Meanwhile a good ordinance issued by the government. I wish they would have included our Police force also in this, they deserve it too. Can you imagine the frustration they feel when they cannot even defend themselves against attacks. I cannot think of a more demotivating situation for our Police force.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...784-2020-04-22

Take care and stay safe!
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:53   #1044
Distinguished - BHPian

Went out walking for a bit after 3 days to pick up some things from the shop. Used internal roads because they are more likely to be deserted. Looks like a couple of adjacent streets have taken it upon themselves to block their roads! Even for pedestrians. This is clearly not an official thing or a government/police constructed barricade. Obviously looks like the people on that street have done it themselves with plastic ropes and potted plants. Amazing. When the government and health officials have decided there was no need to block off those particular streets (and the officials have blocked a couple of streets about a km away, so this area has been on their radar), these guys want to go further. Simply amazing.

No wonder most people (who are online and well set indoors) are happy to keep extending the lock down! Well this is a democracy after all...so majority gets to choose I guess, however irrational it may be.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd April 2020 at 16:59.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:19   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
so majority gets to choose I guess, however irrational it may be
May be not! After all, it fell on big part of that majority to have no appealing choices but to take risky journey to far off destinations - on foot, cycles, motor-modified cycles, and what not!

If the majority really had a say, they would have at least had a respectable mode of commute or some modest shelter-in-place arrangements. All they got was short end of the stick and no real democratic choices.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:24   #1046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
If the majority really had a say, they would have at least had a respectable mode of commute or some modest shelter-in-place arrangements. All they got was short end of the stick and no real democratic choices.
Absolutely. I meant the majority of us sitting comfortably at home and able to voice our opinion on all this. Am pretty sure not everyone on those roads I referred to would have been happy about their road being blocked by whatever arbitrary residents authority they might have going there. But guess the majority of people there wanted it done, so it was.

(I have to call up my mom today and thank her. When we were constructing this house 20 years ago, I was actually more keen on buying an apartment. Thank god I'm not at the mercy of some RWA association and their lock down whims today! It's one thing to abide by whatever the government deems fit (it would be better if that was backed up by medical data, but...), that's the law after all. But it's quite another thing to have to listen to some arbitrary, self-appointed authority figures!)

Last edited by am1m : 22nd April 2020 at 17:28.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:35   #1047
BHPian

On what grounds can one justify a complete removal of the lockdown, especially given that we aren't even at peak yet? Singapore and Hokkaido are both examples that a removal of lockdown results in a second wave of infections. With our population density and lack of discipline, I don't think we'll fare any better if the lockdown were to be lifted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52305055

Extension of a complete lockdown is probably unfair to the population living in districts with no cases (as yet).

I think the govt will play it smart by opening up the green zones and keeping the orange/red zones shut. That way the unaffected population doesn't feel like it is getting the short end of the stick. Inter state and inter district travel will remain shut. Very soon the green zone will realize that they can't get anything much done without the major trade/urban/financial markets and transportation opening up. But hopefully they won't get out onto the streets to blame the govt since the govt hasn't stopped them from going about their business. Red/orange zone residents are aware that they are in for it and don't have a choice. Mumbai has 85k in quarantine, 5k in hospitals and who knows how many more undetected.

I don't think we'll have any semblance of normal life until a vaccine shows up or until herd immunity takes over. Until then the govt will play a game of lockdowns/restrictions depending on numbers in each district.
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:46   #1048
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
On what grounds can one justify a complete removal of the lockdown, especially given that we aren't even at peak yet? Singapore and Hokkaido are both examples that a removal of lockdown results in a second wave of infections. With our population density and lack of discipline, I don't think we'll fare any better if the lockdown were to be lifted.
What is the advantage of removal of lockdown after the peak? Peak doesn't man that it won't go higher a couple of weeks after the lockdown is lifted. It just means that because of the lockdown, the curve has flattened. And whenever the lockdown is lifted (be it 1st may or 1st june), it will start unflattening again. The virus isn't going to say that these guys waited for the peak to remove lockdown, so I should retire now.

I can't figure out how so many people here seem to think that a lockdown enforced peak is a permanent peak which will be obeyed by the virus.

Last edited by carboy : 22nd April 2020 at 17:48.
carboy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:53   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is the advantage of removal of lockdown after the peak? Peak doesn't man that it won't go higher a couple of weeks after the lockdown is lifted. It just means that because of the lockdown, the curve has flattened. ....
... And continues on at the peak.

This confuses me too. It's like saying let's get to the worst point and stay there. I'm sure I've missed something. I hope I've missed something.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:54   #1050
BHPian

What would be the status of educational institutions? Will they be opened any time soon? Being a medical undergrad student, this lockdown is making us suffer a lot!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks