Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 19:45   #1381
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

I think the term lockdown has been deliberately "retained", to not dilute the gravity of the situation yet uncontrolled. For all practical reasons, people reading between the lines would realise the liberties allowed, but had they said "relaxation allowed", knowing our nation, people might have started to organise picnics!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 1st May 2020 at 19:48.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:46   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Are they allowing ecommerce delivery of non essential items now. I really hope they do.
Old 1st May 2020, 19:48   #1383
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Some parts of the Govt are confused on what a lockdown was meant for. And they now clearly do not understand how a 'semi-lockdown' opening from an economic point of view is close to no opening at all. Lockdown is seen by some of the authorities as the solution instead of a circuit breaker to buy time to get the solution ready. Manufacturers, traders, service providers, even the medium and small ones operate across State borders and district borders. If a part of your suppliers are in red zones and a part of your customers too are in red zones then your being in a green zone is of some value but a limited one. Nevertheless I'd prefer to give the GoI the benefit of the doubt. They like all of us are dealing with inadequate information and a pandemic of an unprecedented nature.

We should brace ourselves for a surge in infected cases over the next 6 to 9 weeks as the infection runs through the population before settling down.. That does not necessarily translate to fatalities of similar number. It would behoove us all to continue to take precautions especially if elders stay with you.
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:06   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Are they allowing ecommerce delivery of non essential items now. I really hope they do.
I am not a 100% sure yet but I don't think so. The only direct reference I can see in the order is for red zones (refer point e on the attached page).

Even I would like for e commerce companies to start delivery of non-essentials.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-screenshot_20200501195853.png  

Old 1st May 2020, 20:06   #1385
Senior - BHPian

The billion dollar question:

Corona isn't going away post 17 May.

What happens after 17 May ? Do all districts become Green zone ? I don't think there would be further strict lockdown extension anymore.
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:12   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The billion dollar question:

Corona isn't going away post 17 May.

What happens after 17 May ? Do all districts become Green zone ? I don't think there would be further strict lockdown extension anymore.
The concern is, slippage of orange and green zones, by virtue of their official definition, to the Red Zone. Fingers crossed!
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:17   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Do we have a fixed criteria how Red, orange and green zones are identified? Faridabad is in Red zone but Gurgaon in orange when both have similar number of cases.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:26   #1388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Do we have a fixed criteria how Red, orange and green zones are identified? Faridabad is in Red zone but Gurgaon in orange when both have similar number of cases.
Its a combination of active cases, recovered cases, rate of new cases etc.

From the govt circular
Quote:

The Green Zones will be districts with either zero confirmed cases till date; or, no confirmed case in the last 21 days. The classification of
districts as Red Zones will take into account the total number of active cases, doubling rate of confirmed cases, extent of testing and
surveillance feedback from the districts. Those districts, which are neither defined as Red nor Green, shall be classified as Orange zones.
The classification of districts into Red, Green and Orange Zones will be shared by MoHFW with the States and Union Territories (UTs) on a
weekly basis, or earlier, as required. While States and UTs can include additional districts as Red and Orange Zones, they may not lower the
classification of a district included by MoHFW in the list of Red or Orange Zones.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st May 2020 at 20:28.
Eddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:27   #1389
Senior - BHPian

So in spite of classifying certain districts as Red zone, a lot of restrictions have been lifted. For instance, Private offices can function with 33% work force in red zones. So im guessing a lot of us will have to start working on rotational shifts. However, if Cabs are not allowed, only people with personal vehicles are expected to turn up to office.
motorworks is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:33   #1390
BHPian

I really hope they don’t flip flop and backpedal on this.
Secondly, an area should only be declared a red zone if there is a significant number of new cases there. For example, a place like Gurgaon should not be fully declared red unless there are, say, at least 1,000 new cases in a week and then too only very small areas should be closed. Every effort should be made to exclude any mall, business or factory from these zones. The number of cases have to seen in the context of population, not just an arbitrary number applied everywhere. This 1,000 new case per week will also have to revised as our total cases go up. If we go to US levels, we would be adding 40k cases per day. Even at 100,000 level, we would add 4 to 5k cases per day. So it won’t make sense to declare everything a red zone as we would easily get hundreds of cases per day in cities and even towns once we reach that base level.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 20:43   #1391
BHPian

My parents are in Delhi and I am in Gurgaon. Are they allowed to drive and visit me? Or vice-versa, am I allowed to do that? Looking for some clarity if someone can help
Old 1st May 2020, 21:50   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
--Some parts of the Govt are confused on what a lockdown was meant for. And they now clearly do not understand how a 'semi-lockdown' opening from an economic point of view is close to no opening at all. --
+1

Now Auto Industry seeks permission to re-commence operation of entire automotive value chain.

Quote:
We request you to kindly allow the entire automotive value chain for opening up and re-commencing operations. This would include the OEMs, the component suppliers, the dealers, the service workshops, and the Regional Transport Authorities. In fact, auto dealerships / workshops will not be able to open till such time the citizens are not allowed to come out of their homes freely
Quote:
The industry needs to be treated akin to 'essential services’ and be allowed to function as has been done in case of Steel and Cement sectors
Source:
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 21:54   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
1. Suppose a current green zone, after the relaxation starts to report new coronavirus cases. Does that zone now become red again? Isn't this a constant cycle that can severely hinder working?
Yes, it is a possibility Green zone will turn to Orange and then Red. Let's hope it doesn't turn out that way. But is there an alternative? Can we wait till the whole country is a Green zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
3. Only delivery of essential goods are allowed in red zones through ecommerce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
eCommerce of non-essential items is not permitted. I guess this is more of a political move to appease local traders to recoup a part of their losses. I don't agree with this move but I understand the thought process behind this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I think the term lockdown has been deliberately "retained", to not dilute the gravity of the situation yet uncontrolled.
True. This is a good idea. Keep the messaging serious while practically it is relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Nevertheless I'd prefer to give the GoI the benefit of the doubt. They like all of us are dealing with inadequate information and a pandemic of an unprecedented nature.

We should brace ourselves for a surge in infected cases over the next 6 to 9 weeks as the infection runs through the population before settling down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Also, we need to brace for re-categorization of each zone almost on a daily basis; The Government has said re-categorization will happen weekly but my guess is if it is a worsening situation (Green --> Orange --> Red) then they would not wait till weekend for recategorization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I really hope they don’t flip flop and backpedal on this.
Secondly, an area should only be declared a red zone if there is a significant number of new cases there.
Within Red/Orange zones there are smaller "Containment zones" which are far stricter. If you are in a containment zones, keep checking your Aarogya Setu app than reading team-bhp.

---
In summary, the National Lockdown has ended from 3-May-2020. Watch local news than national news! It matters more which zone you are living in than what is happening in Delhi.
DigitalOne is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 22:01   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
My parents are in Delhi and I am in Gurgaon. Are they allowed to drive and visit me? Or vice-versa, am I allowed to do that? Looking for some clarity if someone can help
Haryana has sealed border with Delhi.

Was watching a news channel today evening where there was a kilometre long queue of cars on toll near Ambiance Mall.
The border movement was strictly restricted and a doctor who had been freely able to come to his clinic from Delhi to Gurgaon until now, was denied entry back to Delhi.

Last edited by born_free : 1st May 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Adding video link
born_free is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 22:02   #1395
BANNED

Today India had 2367 cases, the highest ever. So according to government it’s the right decision to ease the restrictions even in Red zone! This could have been done few weeks back, isn’t it? Just swallow the ego and accept that the current strategy is not working. The earlier the lockdown is lifted, the less this would look like a circus.
The Rationalist is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed