Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 22:07   #1396
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Only the famous dialogue by Joker suits the current situation “Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just *do* things.”
It's not clear what we are going to achieve with this two weeks "extended lockdown" as cases are increasing every hour. However, your post makes me laugh. Thank you for that.
khanmaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 22:08   #1397
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Today India had 2367 cases, the highest ever. So according to government it’s the right decision to ease the restrictions even in Red zone! This could have been done few weeks back, isn’t it? Just swallow the ego and accept that the current strategy is not working. The earlier the lockdown is lifted, the less this would look like a circus.
I believe the lockdown was never aimed to get the country free of Corona. It was primarily done for buying time to source testing kits, open new labs, isolation centres etc along with identification of containment zones.

We have to see if the government was successful in lowering the Covid-19 related damage or just postponed it.
Dr.Naren is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 22:14   #1398
Team-BHP Support

Where do these people get the ideas? When the central Government is trying to open up few things, states are coming out with their own rules. And here we are talking about the state that's under Central ruling party and less than 30 Km from the Central Government.

Can any of you guys make out, what are they trying to tell? How will they open Maruti/ Honda and other large units

He said that in case the number of COVID-19 positive cases in any of these 14 districts reaches 15, all industrial units, commercial establishments and construction projects, would have to shut down their operations. Therefore, as soon as there are 10 COVID-19 positive cases in the district, an auto-alert would be sent to every industrial unit, commercial establishment and construction project that has obtained approval on the portal that the district is only 5 short of the limit of 15 COVID-19 ..

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...utm_content=20
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 22:28   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Haryana has sealed border with Delhi.
Thanks for responding. I am aware of what has been happening for last couple of days.
Was hoping for clarity on how things would operate starting 4th May? Specifically for folks who want to travel between Delhi and Gurgaon but are not providing essential services.

Government communication mentions that people can travel in cars even in red zone but does not clarify on travel in special zones like NCR (which cuts across states).
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 22:42   #1400
BHPian

Can anyone travel from one red zone district to another red zone district on their own vehicle? Any clarity on this?
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 23:00   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Clarity on lockdown 3.0

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75495617.cms

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 23:07   #1402
BHPian

As usual the officials/cops will have their own version of the restriction ! With simple instructions earlier they created havoc, wonder what they will do now.
hareshjethwani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 23:17   #1403
BHPian

Lockdown was only for buying time, what they keep referring to flattening the curve. The purpose of flattening the curve is to reduce the burden on the hospitals. It is to buy time to ensure supply of PPEs, testing kits, setting up facilities, etc. But so far all this has not been done fairly. PPEs are still being procured from overseas which have yet to be delivered. The testing kits that were ordered turned out to be faulty and purchased at a high markup, and later said we don't need them.

The logic that gets me is we all know that 80% cases are asymptomatic, and asymptomatic does not mean they are not infective. If you do not test and identify them they will continue to infect others. Again increasing the number of cases and the cycle of lockdown will continue till resources are depleted.

We still need to do tests, not for the sake of showing numbers but to contain the asymptomatic patients.

Facts:-
- currently there is no information about duration of immunity from antibodies
- no information regarding herd immunity
- no information regarding if you can get infected again
- no study to identify if the virus can cause infection through fecal oral route (where hand hygiene plays an important role). The virus is glycoprotein encapsulated, which means it needs moist environment to survive, and that it cannot be killed by stomach acid (drinking warm/hot water wont kill it, it will just go to stomach and cause gastritis, then come out the other end), thus no study on taking sewer samples. Monsoon is on the way and we all know how everything starts to overflow. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...php/water.html
- vaccines need testing and its a long way before they can be used
- research still on for treatments (good progress) but this is not prevention

our healthcare system is not that good to be honest. The lockdown has helped to reduce this burden, and if we dont get the necessary protective gear and kits in time God forbid it can get worse.

And what i am afraid of regarding this zoning criteria is that the state governments might hide or falsify the data to be granted a green status.

stay safe and stay informed
falconion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 23:34   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Honestly, this is much more relaxed than I was expecting even in Red zones .
Yes it's very relaxed indeed. Hope this turns out to be the ultimate lockdown.
Old 2nd May 2020, 00:39   #1405
Distinguished - BHPian

With no offence to anyone but there are some serious bumbling officials who are fighting amongst themselves to be the big noob in framing rules along with the extension of the lockdown. I mean, extending the lockdown is the easiest way out but in doing that the recovery process is going downhill further. I mean, just for an example- if the train services were to be finally arranged for the migrant workers then what was the point of delaying it till now? For such a large country as ours, this lockdown of over 50 days will come back to haunt us pretty bad !
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 00:55   #1406
Senior - BHPian

As i understand, in Delhi NCR now people can take their cars out to buy groceries or essentials from a little far off places. Earlier also, people were taking their cars out but it was a grey area, MHA has clarified things now.

I wish the government had come out with better clarifications for economy along with this extension of lockdown, hope they are planning some bailouts for hard hit industries otherwise this lockdown would mean a lot of job losses in some sectors, especially in aviation where i work.
We paid full salaries to all our maids and the car washing guy, asked the maid if they are getting ration, she said she stood in queue for 2 hours but they ran out of ration, handed her over some stuff. Hope the poor are also taken care of.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 2nd May 2020 at 00:58.
coolboy007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 00:59   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
if the train services were to be finally arranged for the migrant workers then what was the point of delaying it till now
Before lock down, no one knew how India will fare, what if India would have got 1 million infections, would you have said the same? The reason you are giving this example is because there are relatively less infection in our country till now, and government can wager now. There is a tangible reason to believe that infection will not hurt Indians as anticipated, so a gradual cooling down. Don't forget that Government might reimpose harsh lock down again if it feels that situation is going out of control.
doxinboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 02:07   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The billion dollar question:

Corona isn't going away post 17 May.

What happens after 17 May ? Do all districts become Green zone ? I don't think there would be further strict lockdown extension anymore.
As far as what I can make out of the MHA guidelines, the lockdown is extended for the entire country till 17thMay. Till then, the green ones are given considerable relaxation with respect to services, movement of people and opening of shops.
After this 14-day period, I guess the lockdown will be lifted from the green zones (however, I still think there will be some restrictions on cinemas like max 50% occupancy, gyms, malls and other places of mass gatherings for some time) and the rest orange and red zones will be under restrictions as per their zone criteria.
Obviously, a green zone can go back to orange/red if cases arise however, it will again have to follow 21-days-no-case rule to go back from red->orange->green.
I hope I have cleared your doubt, however, this is as per the current guidelines which may change subject to prevailing conditions in future.

On a separate note, I agree with the concept of lockdown. Not only it bought us time to set-up facilities, procure resources etc. It has also managed to keep our infected cases and number of fatalities low. The maximum cases have been today some odd 2300, that is around(or little less?) the daily number of deaths during peak of covid-19 in Italy, US or spain. I cannot imagine how worse would have been the situation and how over-burdened our healthcare system would have been if there was no lockdown given that our country is so congested and populated. Try shopping at any Big Bazaar on a weekend on any normal day, the crowd is too much!
Remember, The healthcare system of Lombardy was considered to be one of the best in the world and it was over-burdened in such a short span of time that doctors had to chose everyday who would live and who would die! I know that the poor strata of society is facing a lot of problems but did we have any other option? I am thankful that Mr. Modi did not chose Trump's route and left Indians to be on their own luck & immunity, resulting in all of us getting infected.
Candy$Cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 02:46   #1409
Senior - BHPian

I feel the lockdown will be extended again after 17th to the end of May with restrictions being eased further. They cannot just loosen things completely or all the difficult decisions taken earlier will be wiped out.

Patience is the name of the game and the only thing that matters. In the last quarter of this year or the first quarter of 2021 we will say whatever was done earlier was the right thing to do at the time. Everything is cyclical - the way it’s all doom and gloom right now, will be fine in future, we have to wait it out.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 03:25   #1410
Distinguished - BHPian

So India gets its first positive case of COVID-19 in late January.
Initiates nationwide lockdown in late March.
Extends the lockdown twice.
The total positive cases have crossed 37,000.
But India hasn't entered Stage-3 or doesn't have community spread? Really?

The decision-makers deserve the Guinness World Record for the longest-running COVID-19 bluff.

Can someone please explain how this is possible?
kiku007 is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed