Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2020, 01:21   #1486
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
Is there any official guideline regarding maids from the state Government? The RWA in my apartment is split and it is almost a stalemate now. A govt order can be a tie breaker.
I just came across this article. But there is no official note from govt as such that I could find.

Link
nax04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 01:51   #1487
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Maharashtra has issued guidelines on permitted and prohibited activities which are based on the MHA guidelines but more stringent. Most of the activities permitted by the MHA guidelines in Red Zones are not allowed in Mumbai Metropolitan Region and Pune Municipal corporation region (opening of standalone shops, functioning of private offices with 33% strength, SEZs and industrial establishments in urban areas, and government offices are all prohibited). So no major relief from lockdown atleast in Mumbai and Pune.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CamScanner 05-02-2020 18.26.27_20200502191059.pdf (10.72 MB, 399 views)

Last edited by greenoval : 3rd May 2020 at 01:57.
greenoval is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 05:27   #1488
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Its high time officials look at changing some of these draconian measures that serve no purpose in Pune for example. Asking shops to open from 10am to 2 pm in the peak summer is sheer insensitivity. Do they expect senior citizens to stand in what is a typical crowded queue in this heat? They could simply shift this to 8am and give some relief. Also, the distribution of cases is highly skewed to certain areas of Pune. They can surely ease up somewhat in Kothrud/ Bavdhan/Baner/ Aundh, all of which colllecticely have less than a dozen cases as per data of May1st.
fhdowntheline is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 05:49   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
Is there any official guideline regarding maids from the state Government? The RWA in my apartment is split and it is almost a stalemate now. A govt order can be a tie breaker.
I dont know if this helps but FWIW:

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/...439-2020-05-01
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 06:54   #1490
BHPian

Re: The Corona virus thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
I know the number currently are better than the worst case scenario that you had shared but I am just curious, according to your model what should have been the number by now if there was no lockdown?

We are currently at 37K cases and are doing about 70K tests per day. Would like to know by how much have we slowed the growth.
Hi Sunil,

Now that we are a good 40 days into the lockdown, it's safe to go back in retrospect and analyze.
So it's pretty strange and scary that despite the lockdown, the numbers are not better; in fact, they are still pretty accurately following the graph up to today, despite it predicting numbers that would happen if the lockdown did not take place. Now I can only wonder how much worst it could have been than the graph had we have not lockdown when we did. Probably we would have had 5-10 times more cases than what we have today.

That being said, our lockdown has been both a success and a failure. While majority of the country followed it, there were certain hot pockets in populous states (Maharashtra/Gujarat/Delhi) that flaunted it (intentionally/unintentionally whatever it maybe). Now the thing is, you know how bad the situation of USA is today, simply cause they locked down too late. They have a Million cases and around 70k deaths. We all know they were hit much earlier than India, making the only real deciding factor being time.

In my opinion, the lockdown HAS TO have helped, so we won't be as bad as USA by the end of it, yes but we won't be too good either. I expect our country to have a couple of Lakh cases at least putting it somewhere at par or maybe slightly higher than where Germany is today and let me tell you, Germany is considered to be the only European country that has countered COVID 19 so well despite being struck hard, so it's safe to say it's still a win for India. But then again, knowing how much more clustered places like Mumbai and Delhi are compared to Europe and with the lockdown slowly easing, I won't be shocked to see myself taking my words back, so don't quote me on it.
Starfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:29   #1491
Senior - BHPian

The numbers are increasing because of the Mandi's, if we have to sit at home we need the essential commodities to do so. They come from all over the place and land in Mandi's (wholesale) outlets from where they are distributed. In the Indian context the crowds there would be uncontrolled and with no adequate precautions leading to increased number of cases. We've stopped going out for the essentials; we get it delivered at home through the phone based apps, that way our point of contact is reduced to a single person. Then we thoroughly wash whatever is delivered and then consume.
Old 3rd May 2020, 09:53   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
You guys put it across very well. All of them supporting the lockdown are people who are "currently" not impacted by it. They can sit in the confines of their homes, do WFH, get paid and order goods online.
If someone who supports this lockdown is from the 3 groups mentioned below, I bow to you.
  • 1. You are a small business man and are still paying all your employees full wages dipping into your assets/savings. You have 0 revenue, 0 govt. support and no clue when this nightmare ends.
  • 2. You are the sole bread winner and lost your job to covid and no options to pay you bills next month. You still support the lockdown because after 3 months you are alive and can actively boost the econony.
  • 3. You dont have money to pay for today's dinner ( like the millions out there). Your family is going to sleep hungry.
I belong to the category you mentioned who is working from home and getting my full salary as of now but I definitely don't support the lockdown anymore for the simple reason because the poor of my country are suffering.

I am okay for work to start with curbs which can be slowly eased over the months. Offices should start, road construction should start, building construction should start, factories should slowly start opening and life should start picking up and move up the gears and No, I don't mean while all this is happening I would still work from home, I will go to office too, my work place won't infinitely allow me to work from home and I can't lose my job come what may.

I can only remember 2 lines from Rahat Indori's Shayari which the poor must be telling all of those advocating lockdown extensions.

Lagegi aag toh ayenge yaha kayi zad mein
Yaha sirf hamara makaan thodi hai

Why I say start? Has the testing numbers increased considerably? No
Has the government started compensating businesses? No
Has the government done anything for the middle class? Nothing

So if they are not going to do anything, let us at-least start getting on with our lives.

They are asking extra money from people to be transported in buses and trains home in such dire times, poor people mostly who have been stuck in cities for more than one and half months now. EXTRA MONEY FROM THE POOR? Let this even sink in.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le31485098.ece

But at the same time they want to do the theatrics like these, let me copy paste

"The Air Force will conduct a flypast from Srinagar to Thiruvananthapuram and another one starting from Dibrugarh in Assam to Kutch in Gujarat. It will include both transport and fighter aircraft,” he said at a press conference, along with the three service chiefs.

The CDS added that the Indian Army and the Indian Navy, too, will join in.

The Army will conduct band displays along some of the Covid-19 hospitals in almost every district of the country, he said, adding that the Indian Navy will also be displaying their formation on the sea to express solidarity with the frontline workers"

Link to the entire article--> https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/indi...ers-1.71281151

These theatrics will cost hundreds of crores easy, can a country like India afford this? Should I be clapping and celebrating this nonsense when my poor are walking hundreds of kilometres, are asked to pay extra for tickets to go home?

And we should be donating because they needs money for Covid fund? My foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
BTW, those pointing to other countries on lockdown ( which is milder than what we have ), also please put what their governments have done fiscally to ease the pain for the 3 categories of people I mentioned above. And compare to what people here have for from our govt.
++100 this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
I was wondering where the funds of the PM donations are being used. The labourers who are being sent back, the government can't even fund them for their journey?
You know where right?
humyum is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 09:54   #1493
BHPian

It seems they want to make Aarogya Sethu a mandatory application for tracking covid patients. What about the millions of people who do not own a smartphone. Have they made any alternative arrangements for them?

I chose to use a basic phone which does not have this app. Does this mean I will be penalized if I go out? Why do our people keep framing rules which are not inclusive.

The idea to allow people to go to their native place now with a one way pass means that lockdown measures are here to stay for longtime with restricted interstate travel. In the first place people moved to a different location for work because they did not find meaningful work back home. And that was during normal time when businesses were running. How are people going to manage now when everything has slowed down.

Bhpians, high time we accept that each of us are entitled to our own opinions. Majority of us here are not the decision makers and our opinions do not really impact beyond our own sphere of influence. Lets read and try to understand each others perspectives.
indian21r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:15   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Its high time officials look at changing some of these draconian measures that serve no purpose in Pune for example. Asking shops to open from 10am to 2 pm in the peak summer is sheer insensitivity. Do they expect senior citizens to stand in...
You will be more sympathetic to the plight of officials if you know how they live their lives. Just yesterday, I went to pick up some groceries at the local supermarket. There was a long line of people waiting patiently to enter. Suddenly, one person accompanied by a policeman went straight to the entrance, put his hands forward to be sprayed with sanitizer, and the policeman did the same and then both of them entered the store for what was definitely an official errand.

After about 15 minutes, as I was picking up my items, I see the two picking out groceries from a list, with the policeman doing the actual picking and carrying. Please understand that an official who does not get his groceries himself and is unfairly tasked with making rules on a subject beyond his comprehension cannot be expected to give ideal solutions. I'm sure that I would be lost in such a situation. Let's take a moment to appreciate the huge effort that our administration is making to save us from the foreign virus and I would request that all of us here to light a lamp, ring a bell, or even send a simple "thank you" to our hardworking officials.

Last edited by mvadg : 3rd May 2020 at 10:16.
mvadg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:28   #1495
BHPian

Did you see this new stupidity on news ?? Mumbai police personnel, BEST personnel who turned Covid negative being welcomed with flowers, banging of thalis and what not. So much for these asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases when hundred other critical non-Covid patients are dying out there. Its good to know people are recovering from COVID-19 without any complications but let us be considerate towards other patients who are not getting any timely medical attention.
vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:40   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Thank you. Oh, so thank you very much for this video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Had a good laugh ,
If you liked that video, you are gonna definitely love this. This is couple of weeks old, but very relevant.

DigitalOne is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:06   #1497
Distinguished - BHPian

Life certainly does seem to be returning to my neighborhood. There is an increase in traffic, most shops are open, the barricades have been removed from roads that were blocked, people are walking about in the mornings and evenings for exercise. People are wearing masks and are standing separately in line to buy things. Construction has resumed at 2-3 sites in the neighborhood. No buses, autos or cabs, but bikes, cars and delivery vehicles are moving around without being hassled. So looks like the relaxation measures are taking place. Good to see and am very happy about it.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd May 2020 at 11:15.
am1m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:12   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You will be more sympathetic to the plight of officials if you know how they live their lives. Just yesterday, I went to pick up some groceries at the local supermarket. There was a long line of people waiting patiently to enter. Suddenly, one person accompanied by a policeman went straight to the entrance, put his hands forward to be sprayed with sanitizer, and the policeman did the same and then both of them entered the store for what was definitely an official errand.

Asking to shift the store timings to 8AM instead of 10 AM doesn't mean lack of sensitivity to officials. Its common sense, which has been conveyed to the adminstration by thousands of others. Ideally, they should not have restricted shopping hours that will force people to crowd the place, bypass physical distancing and increase risk. Most people are not fools. They will respect the rules in this situation. The 20 % of the bell curve will act recklessly regardless of rules and pandemics.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:14   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
It seems they want to make Aarogya Sethu a mandatory application for tracking covid patients...
Yet another strike against the App: the defence forces have their own doubts :
Pak spies could use Aarogya Setu-like app to target Indian military personnel, Army issues warning
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:23   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Yet another strike against the App: the defence forces have their own doubts :
Pak spies could use Aarogya Setu-like app to target Indian military personnel, Army issues warning
It might appear as a bit of a noob question, and someone connected with Armed Forces should be able to respond- why do personnel need to use commercial mobile phones while on active duty especially in sensitive areas ? Aren't there some basic restrictions in place ? And related to this- why should active military personnel even use a civilian app like Arogya Setu ?
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks