Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:34   #1501
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Simple case of opposition for the sake of it. If location based apps could be used to track movement by spies, then what about apps like google, fb etc. which have been tracking movements from ages and even monetise the data by sharing with external agencies for relevant ads?

There are no privacy concerns there, but an app used for our own safety! No sir! We are worried about our privacy.

Last edited by racer_ash : 3rd May 2020 at 11:39. Reason: Completed sentence
racer_ash is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:44   #1502
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Simple case of opposition for the sake of it. If location based apps could be used to track movement by spies, then what about apps like google, fb etc. which have been tracking movements from ages and even monetise the data by sharing with external agencies for relevant ads?

There are no privacy concerns there, but an app used for our own safety! No sir! We are worried about our privacy.
Any mandatory app that helps the government to track the live location of a citizen is a privacy concern. It is the first step towards the so called surveillance state that George Orwell talked about in the novel 1984. It is different from a private entity using location data for advertisements, because in that case the citizen gets an option to opt out of it if he wants. This app is mandatory for anyone who wants to work as per the recent order.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 3rd May 2020 at 11:47.
padmrajravi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:47   #1503
Team-BHP Support

The government has had 40+ days of lockdown to prepare for whatever they were planning. I don't think it makes a difference now if the lockdown is lifted now, after two weeks or after two months. We have to face the virus, whenever the lockdown ends. Why are they just extending it endlessly? It is like the license raj has returned with a vengeance, to make up for the 30 years it was suppressed. If I visit my native district in the same state, I need to take permission, and they will put me into compulsory quarantine upon reaching there. This is simply too much power in the hands of government, which has a very ugly and long history of corruption and harassment.

Will they give up this power in near future? I wonder...
Samurai is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:50   #1504
BHPian

I can still turn off the location even after I install the app. Also, if I am at home always, what tracking is being done? The govt. already knows where I live via aadhaar, passport etc.?

Are you saying that private entities dont share location data with govt. agencies? If ao, how does the Austrakian govt. ads show up on my FB page when I am at Melbourne and not at Hyderabad?
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:50   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
....why do personnel need to use commercial mobile phones while on active duty especially in sensitive areas ? Aren't there some basic restrictions in place ? And related to this- why should active military personnel even use a civilian app like Arogya Setu ?
Not in Armed forces but you can read this article to understand https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le31350938.ece.

TLDR: Basically, the Government asked the Armed forces to install the app but kept in mind certain precautions they would have to take to ensure security while using it. Details are in the article.

Quote:

There are articles that clearly mention (https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...OatrK_amp.html) that Intel agencies suspect a security breach because of the possibility that Army personnel are installing a fake Aarogya Setu app being sent through Whatsapp groups (you might be aware of .apk files) by Pakistani agents.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:53   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
I can still turn off the location even after I install the app...
I'm sure turning off location will be deemed illegal, if they've not done so already. That's the power of being a representative of the people.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:57   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you saying that private entities dont share location data with govt. agencies? If ao, how does the Austrakian govt. ads show up on my FB page when I am at Melbourne and not at Hyderabad?
They do, but the difference is that you can choose not to use FB or Google services and you are off the radar. You can start using a dumb phone or an offshoot like Sailfish phone. But when government makes it mandatory, that is not the case. That is too much of power in the hands of government. It is always better not to let government enjoy more power, because never in the history has any government returned power to the citizens.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:58   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Different perspective on the so called “privacy issues” which everyone harps upon nowadays.

Pray, tell me, if you are a normal law abiding citizen why on earth are you so concerned if you can be tracked going shopping for your daily needs or going for a movie or your bank. Is it a state secret or something? Why does everyone need to be so protective of their whereabouts?

You think any government is so bothered about what you do, if you are above board and not doing anything illegal they won’t even bother with you.

This app or any other which can track a person may be used by governments to track activities of suspect people and help society to a large extent. What is wrong with that?

It’s the people who do wrong/illegal activities who should be concerned not normal people.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 3rd May 2020 at 12:00.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:02   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It's not as if the Australian government looks at who is in Australia, and then pushes the ad. Facebook has a directive from them, or any advertiser about pushing ads by demographics, location interest. The advertiser doesn't know who is receiving the ad, unless there's some underhanded agreement, which no-one can help in that case.
Facebook knows where Mr. X is, but the Australian government only know that the ad was served to YYYY number of people based on its criteria.
At least that was the mechanism till I last ran FB campaigns about 2 years back.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:05   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The government has had 40+ days of lockdown to prepare for whatever they were planning. I don't think it makes a difference now if the lockdown is lifted now, after two weeks or after two months. We have to face the virus, whenever the lockdown ends. Why are they just extending it endlessly? It is like the license raj has returned with a vengeance, to make up for the 30 years it was suppressed. If I visit my native district in the same state, I need to take permission, and they will put me into compulsory quarantine upon reaching there. This is simply too much power in the hands of government, which has a very ugly and long history of corruption and harassment.

Will they give up this power in near future? I wonder...
With a complex demography of our country, overpopulation and inherent complacence and "chalta hai attitude" in DNA of Indians, such harsh measures have to be taken. From your statements it seems you want a civil war to happen right now
"Kuchh paane keliye kuchh khona padhta hai dost" (means you gain some you lose some).

And lastly have faith in the constitution, judiciary and the democracy. They are there for a reason.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 3rd May 2020 at 12:09.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:13   #1511
Team-BHP Support

Not sure about others, but to me, this App, if it helps, we should install and use it.

Government already knows everything via Adhaar, Banks etc. How does it matter, if they know what all I am doing and where all I am going? If I am not mistaken, they can always pull our location or even call recordings/ records from the telecom companies.

How much is the usefulness of this App, remains to be seen. Like, I can see how many people are infected in the range but not on map or any more details. Maybe Government has done this from the contact tracing point of view more than anything else.

We are all taking about privacy but don’t they say you should never hide anything from your doctors.

Quote:
If I visit my native district in the same state, I need to take permission, and they will put me into compulsory quarantine upon reaching there.
that’s for a reason, everyone (administrators) wants his/ her district to come clean ASAP. They have no way to find out if you are infected until they get the Rapid tests. Getting regular tests for such movements may not be feasible given the demand and other priorities. We should see some relaxations or tests at costs in case of such movements. Like, Gurgaon has closed border with Delhi but for how long? Soon trains, planes will start so they cant hold this forever.

I get a feeling that Central Government is now more open, unlike the earlier days its the other way around. Since we have come this far, we all should be little considerate in our expectations and demands. Hopefully, things will change for better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
The road to hell is always paved with good intentions. Today they use it to track you based on covid status. Tomorrow it could be used to divide based on your party affiliation, religion, economic status, whatever.
Nah, that will be too much. This app does not ask such information and they have much more information already via Adhaar, PAN, Credit Cards, Telecom etc.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd May 2020 at 12:24.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:15   #1512
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Different perspective on the so called “privacy issues” which everyone harps upon nowadays.

Pray, tell me, if you are a normal law abiding citizen why on earth are you so concerned if you can be tracked going shopping for your daily needs or going for a movie or your bank. Is it a state secret or something? Why does everyone need to be so protective of their whereabouts?

You think any government is so bothered about what you do, if you are above board and not doing anything illegal they won’t even bother with you.

This app or any other which can track a person may be used by governments to track activities of suspect people and help society to a large extent. What is wrong with that?

It’s the people who do wrong/illegal activities who should be concerned not normal people.

Cheers
The road to hell is always paved with good intentions. Today they use it to track you based on covid status. Tomorrow it could be used to divide based on your party affiliation, religion, economic status, whatever.
m8002? is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:27   #1513
BHPian

In many western countries, in the grocery stores, they have special time window for senior citizens.

It would have been good to have that in India as well. It is a sad sight to see many senior citizens waiting in the queue for long hours to get their groceries. Where I could, I have exchanged places with them to allow them ahead of me - either the queue to get in the stores or the queue for checking out the groceries.

In our apartment, I had also reached out to others to see if we could formulate a strategy to help the sr. citizens out by getting their grocery for them - It would not be out of the way or anything, just that whenever we are going for our own groceries, we can check with them on that sub-group to see if anyone needs anything...

It has helped a few people, but could have been lot better if such points could have been addressed by the government also on a wider/national scale.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:31   #1514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The government has had 40+ days of lockdown to prepare for whatever they were planning
Two people decide to jump from an airplane and then look for the parachute. Well, the search for the parachute continues ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Just an hypothetical scenario my friend- Your name is Cyborg and imagine if my name also goes by the name Cyborg. We two have the app installed and we are being tracked and data collated by a person sitting at some tiny cubicle. Now I am found positive and due to some technical glitch or due to an error by the data operator- you are forced into some quarantine center because we share the same name and there is no body to listen to your grievances and you end up being harassed ! Will that be okay with you?

Privacy is a concern here because this government is forever trying to track everyone by every which way possible. The Aadhar linking is a case in point. Aadhar was mooted for DBT and look at the scenario now. Everyone is skeptical for the future my friend. COVID will go at some point of time after the vaccine is available but the tracker will remain and there in lies the big problem.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:38   #1515
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Nah, that will be too much. This app does not ask such information and they have much more information already via Adhaar, PAN, Credit Cards, Telecom etc.
They dont have to ask that information. All that they need is track your route and the places you frequent for few weeks.
1. If you are regular at you place of worship, they can gauge your religion ( in fact your affinity to a specific "deity" as well depending on the temple )
2. If you are frequenting high profile restaurants, clubs your economic status is available.
3. If you attend any party meetings or meet up with other similar like minded people, your party affiliation will also be known.
4. Based on this, they can also identify your family members, friends ( their phone will come in proximity to yours often )

The possibilities endless. All that people here are advocating is that it should be optional to install and uninstall. The moment they start forcing, then intentions are questionable.
m8002? is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed