Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2020, 17:44   #1636
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
With the way cases are increasing everyday and now with the crowds due to liquor sales going out of control this seems to be the only way.
Based on my personal experience of waiting in a line for 1.5 hours to pick up liquor, I can confidently say in my neighborhood, if you would ever want to see the most diligent and ideal example of social distancing it would be the queue outside all liquor shops. Two reasons

1. Adequate policing and enforcement

2. Folks FEAR that any violation of guidelines would lead to liquor shops closing down and would want to avoid at all costs.

Anywhere else is a different story. People moving in groups, not necessarily following guidelines, not wearing masks. For once the tipplers are behaving like the most disciplined citizens. But that's only my area. Perhaps cannot be generalized.
sachinayak is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 18:17   #1637
BANNED

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Is that a sheer negligence or lack of awareness ? what do you think ?
This is not in the official figures yet. Where did you get the info from ?
The testing is based on ICMR guidelines. ICMR is only an advisory body, but they are acting as a governing body. They are against plasma therapy and all. Whom to complain? Guidelines are there for a general framework, but who cares. It’s in our genes isn’t it, when someone asks for advice, we want them to take that and will be offended if they takes a pragmatic one. It’s either our way or the highway.

The patient P17 became RT-PCR negative two days back, he was kept in hospital as he had co-morbidities like Cardiovascular disease. He died to cardiac causes it seems, so he will counted as non Covid death. I feel he died as a complication of Covid, but the guidelines say that only if a person dies during positivity he will be counted under Covid. If the person dies the next moment after a negative test, he will be out of Covid statistics. All states want a better looking progress card, what else can be said?
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 18:23   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The patient P17 became RT-PCR negative two days back, he was kept in hospital as he had co-morbidities like Cardiovascular disease. He died to cardiac causes it seems, so he will counted as non Covid death. I feel he died as a complication of Covid, but the guidelines say that only if a person dies during positivity he will be counted under Covid. If the person dies the next moment after a negative test, he will be out of Covid statistics. All states want a better looking progress card, what else can be said?
Yeah, same thing the government has done in Karnataka. States want to move to so called green zones faster.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 18:52   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Perhaps cannot be generalized.
Your line above is the reality of the situation prevalent largely in India with the opening of liquor shops. Do switch on your television to any news channel or go online and check the same. There is a complete flouting of social distancing or any kind of discipline when it comes to people buying liquor in almost all states.

Due to complete disregard of all rules Delhi has imposed a 70% additional “Corona tax” on all liquor sales. Many other states have also followed suit with their own additional taxes.

Hope after seeing what I ask you too perhaps what I mentioned in my earlier post will be abundantly clear.

Cheers
Old 5th May 2020, 19:11   #1640
Senior - BHPian

So can someone explain why despite the number of cases and deaths both shooting up over the last few days, the lockdown is being eased?
Old 5th May 2020, 19:26   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
So can someone explain why despite the number of cases and deaths both shooting up over the last few days, the lockdown is being eased?
Money

Adding additional text 'cos one word replies aren't allowed.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:05   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Money...
The answer is right, but has a negative connotation. If we reword it as "Economy & livelihood" the perspective changes.

The fact is that the virus situation is not going to end anytime soon, until we have a vaccine. We cannot keep stay locked down endlessly. There are much larger causes of death in India than COVID-19 (purely based on the data available) and the joblessness and poverty resulting from the lockdown will have much negative effect that the virus itself.

If there was a tangible time-frame when the problem was likely to get solved, there would have been a longer lockdown, but sadly that ain't the case here.
sachinayak is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:15   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
The answer is right, but has a negative connotation. If we reword it as "Economy & livelihood" the perspective changes...
To be candid, I did write a long verbose reply to the original question with the same words, economy and livelihood but it boils down to money.
We need money to survive (livelihood).
Govt. needs money to provide infrastructure, security, etc. (for economy).
Businesses need money to sustain.

No shame in saying it.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:25   #1644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The answer is right, but has a negative connotation. If we reword it as "Economy & livelihood" the perspective changes.
That is called "spin!"

There have been mistakes made which could have made the whole lockdown pain utterly futile. All the things which have caused people to rush out and crowd. Is it not predictable that that would happen? Didn't anyone (in power/administration) think?

Liquor shops should have been amongst the last, not the first, relaxations.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:30   #1645
Senior - BHPian

If I buy the argument that money/economy etc. is the priority, then why have a lockdown to start with? You can't have it both ways!

This level of incompetence is astonishing, even by Indian babu standards.
Old 5th May 2020, 20:32   #1646
BHPian

Himachal had no red zones till yesterday. My whole district didn't even have one single case reported till yesterday. So they allowed people to come back from other regions. And just like the Indian government had taken a casual approach when people were arriving from abroad, similarly the state government failed at ensuring the safety of the people who had been patiently following the lockdown rules all this while. There was no institutional quarantine for the people who entered and no way to know whether they were even practising isolated quarantine inside their homes. So yesterday we had our first positive COVID case in our district in a village 31kms away from mine. Now they have put 27 other people under observation as well and a few of them minutes away from my house. The biggest blunder is comitted by the people themselves as they decided to travel back with strangers sharing taxis and then not staying put inside their homes as they were supposed to be. Now we will be declared a containment zone and it will cause economic losses as well as other distress to people who had been roaming freely since last week, when our markets had been opened. Is there any way one can sue the administration for their casual approach. Also, if they have already displayed this casualness then why become serious now and close everything up. They should just treat this like any other illness as others have been saying in this thread. How can they get away by being casual when they want and strict the next minute? How is that strategy going to help anyone?
rdst_1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:33   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Allow me to hazard a guess... the lockdown isn't going to get rid of Covid-19. Nothing will, except, perhaps a vaccine. A vaccine is at least an year away by most estimates.

By now, the authorities feel they have a pretty good idea of where the hotspots are. So we focus on the hotspots and allow a semblance normalcy to gradually return to other areas. This, done along with adequate testing to identify any new cases is the approach we seem to have adopted. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by vik99 : 5th May 2020 at 20:36.
vik99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:37   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is called "spin!"

There have been mistakes made which could have made the whole lockdown pain utterly futile. All the things which have caused people to rush out and crowd. Is it not predictable that that would happen? Didn't anyone (in power/administration) think?

Liquor shops should have been amongst the last, not the first, relaxations.
Hehe, I for the matter think the other way. Liquor shops should have remained open from day one. For:
1) They know fuel will be sold in lesser quantity and hence you still need to keep one tap open for revenue
2) What you just said. They know if they close these for a while and then open them suddenly then we will see such crowds and may be even a stampede.

But they couldn't simpley because:
1) It would have been a political disaster for obvious reasons.
2) Liquor isn't technically classified as essential

Last edited by sunilch : 5th May 2020 at 20:39.
sunilch is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:40   #1649
BHPian

Has any Bhpian got permission to travel from Bangalore to Coimbatore or any other city in Tamil Nadu and back?
The plan is to travel by car, by myself, my wife will be joining me on the return journey.

As of now there is no clear information about how to go about getting permission or pass which is valid in TN and Karnataka.

Am I hoping for too much at this point?
carnutfrombanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:58   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
... There was no institutional quarantine for the people who entered ... So yesterday we had our first positive COVID case in our district in a village...
Unlikely due to migrants arriving a day or two back. It takes over a week to test positive. Most probably some older asymptomatic infections showing up now.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks