Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 12:46   #1696
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
You really would like to compare Sweden with India, especially Swedish population with Indian population?
India is 7 times the size of Sweden while having 13 times its population, but that's not all. You are comparing a 99% literate country with 74% one
I don't think that " Keep safe distance" requires a degree in college / school to understand. All i am saying is that we need to learn to live with this virus which is going to be with us for a long time. Case to point : TB has just made a renewed presence in india.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 12:51   #1697
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I don't think that " Keep safe distance" requires a degree in college / school to understand. All i am saying is that we need to learn to live with this virus which is going to be with us for a long time. Case to point : TB has just made a renewed presence in india.
Well neither does "don't spit in a public place" require a degree, but you know the truth.
Yes, we need to learn to live with it and we all will, come what may, 'cos after all we don't have a choice now, but to compare India with a very developed, rich and law abiding country with very sensible populace is gas lighting the members here.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:40   #1698
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I mean, if we're setting Trump and his policies as an example to follow, I suppose we might as well drink some disinfectant and call it a day!
Funny. Yeah Very funny. But, why stop at that disinfectant quote? There are literally thousands of quotes from both Trump and his Republican predecessor that would make for entertaining reads on a boring afternoon.

But, since you mention this particular quote, I will say that if someone thought that anyone would seriously suggest that we drink poison to get rid of this virus, then I suppose the fault is with the person doing the thinking; not the one doing the talking. Probably why President Trump hasn't bothered to walk back that statement in any real sense. He gives people more credit than we believe.

But sure; yeah, let us all assume that a democratically elected leader of the free world is an idiot, why don't we?
mohansrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:50   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I don't think that " Keep safe distance" requires a degree in college / school to understand.
Case in point observed just today morning at the grocery shop.

We were standing in line outside the grocery shop waiting for it to open. Now this grocery shop has two lines for two counters. Social distancing was being observed in both lines.

Now there was one individual who was first in the line but he chose to roam around until the shop opened. So along came an elderly who stood at his first spot. Now the individual came back as soon as the shutters opened and stood right in front of the elderly person. When the elderly person realized that he was second, he shifted.

But now this other roamer had a mask which was hanging around his mouth. Also he has standing too close to the elderly guy. So he was told to put on his mask properly and maintain a distance. To this, he replied in good English that he will act as he likes and please mind your own business. This began escalating until the shopkeeper threatened to down the shutters if they didn't shut up. Even then the person did not put on his mask properly.

So education/no education / literate/semi literate/illiterate or any other category, people with this kind of mentality (and there are many) will not heed to anything.
luvDriving is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 14:01   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
But sure; yeah, let us all assume that a democratically elected leader of the free world is an idiot, why don't we?
Getting elected and being an idiot are not exclusive to each other.
Case in point : "Go corona go"
mayankk is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 15:34   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
This is unbelievable.
If these harsh steps are copied by other state govt, we are in for some serious trouble
Don't worry, most cities will go down the same path in the next few months. Why? Because our citizens do not value their own lives as well as those of others. I have relatives in Gujarat and in spite of repeated warnings by the local authorities people refuse to stop their night walks, day time jaunts, visit to the snack shop etc. When you have a few cases one can understand the complacency but when you have thousands then you need a kick up your rear of you're not serious about the situation.
Pune will head the same way. The entire city is out on the roads today. People don't wait in the circles marked for them. Masks are not worn at petrol pumps. No hand sanitizers to be seen anywhere. I read some govt circulars specifying certain days of the week when a particular commodity can be sold. But, all the shops are open today. Double seat riders on two wheelers are everywhere. Police have gone back to turning a blind eye. Liquor store mess is another story altogether.

So why have sympathy for such people? And if you're following the rules then you're living in the wrong country to begin with.

Thousands of migrants who have lined up all day in peak summer with no distancing outside clinics and photocopy centers will make things worse but then I won't hold them at fault for the ineptitude of the authorities.
yd_gli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 19:47   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not an assumption

Fortunately for us, neither of us lives in the US and the Indian policy is more relevant to both our lives.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 19:58   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
You really would like to compare Sweden with India, especially Swedish population with Indian population?
India is 7 times the size of Sweden while having 13 times its population.
Just a correction: Indian population is 130 times that of Sweden, not 13 times. Sweden has a population of 10 million (one crore) while India is 1300 million or 1.3 billion (130 crores).
Lobogris is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:56   #1704
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Don't worry, most cities will go down the same path in the next few months..
Unfortunately, I agree with you. Lockdowns are not going anywhere because not a single political leader barring President Trump is willing to accept Covid casualties. See the thing is that..

1. Covid numbers are being tracked diligently by multiple agencies with a fair level of accuracy and so cannot be easily disputed. In an election year these numbers could be used by the opposition parties to shape public opinion if the government had chosen to use less restrictive lockdowns.

2. On the other hand, the massive losses to society due to the lockdown (through indirect loss of life or losses of jobs) are not being tracked anywhere --
  • Each private organization will have some data about retrenchments. But, they will not readily share it.
  • Job losses in the unorganized sector are typically not tracked anywhere.
  • Migrant suffering and deaths go unnoticed.
  • Even where losses can be quantified, it is not easy to quickly empathize with abstract financial numbers. For example, if we were to say that we lost N thousand crores, the average person would not be unable to draw a direct line in their minds about what that loss means for them. In actuality, that loss may mean that public healthcare facilities have received a funding cut, or that police departments have been downsized, or even that water treatment facilities in our cities have been massively scaled back, thus directly affecting our health. But, there is no system out there that maps the source of various moneys that we receive in our public coffers to the actual final public expenditures.
So in a nutshell, although a lot more people will be negatively affected by the lockdown than by Covid, the data on the cost of the lockdown is either non-existent, or if it exists it lacks cohesion, accuracy, and the ability to be directly attributed to our lives. Therefore all administrations will be let off the hook for their choices in the current context.

Result? Lockdown it is.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th May 2020 at 21:52. Reason: Removed the not relevant bits
mohansrides is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:59   #1705
BANNED

Quote:
Say what you want about the man; but President Trump is the only world leader who has chosen to be blunt and has spoken the brutal truth about this virus..
While I don’t like Trump at all, at least he is honest in not wearing mask and wanting to open USA, unlike him as he always contradicts his actions and talks. The man is 73 and is clearly in high risk category. Have to appreciate him for the sheer audacity in front of this virus! Maybe the virus is also afraid of such mavericks.

Many doctors are also predicting 40 million Indians will die. There are too many mathematicians at work*. Between, Corona virus has exactly 14 days time left in India as per the Singapore mathematicians model.

*NB: For those interested there was a Hedge fund Long Term Capital Management run by mathematicians, computer scientists and 2 Nobel prize winning economists. What happened to the fund showed that High IQ and higher education doesn’t automatically translate into intelligence.
The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 00:25   #1706
Distinguished - BHPian

All things said and done, now it is clear more than ever that COVID is here to stay for a while. The doubling rate is coming down and we are yet to see the peak. Herd immunity is still far off and I don’t see the numbers going down significantly for the next 15-20 days bare minimum. Only time will tell the pros and cons of the lockdown but I can see the cons beating the pros by a long mile. After a month long lockdown, if you have to position the paramilitary forces on the streets to enforce a lockdown to contain the spread of the virus, then I can only pray that get yourself some solid immunity build up shot if there is any such thing because the virus will get to you by hook or by crook

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 8th May 2020 at 00:42.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 01:17   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
This is unbelievable. How will the people survive there?

During this whole lockdown period I never bought anything more than normal, just thinking that everybody gets their share.
If these harsh steps are copied by other state govt, we are in for some serious trouble.

This could lead to riots.
Well there was a 4 day period when this happened in Pune during the last few days of lockdown 1.0. Even milk was hard to find on day 2 due to people hoarding. By god's grace, SuprDaily restarted operations at the same time and I managed to get the required supplies.
antz.bin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 10:10   #1708
BHPian

What we've been saying all along : Article

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2020 at 16:00. Reason: Political image deleted
mvadg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 10:25   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
What we've been saying all along : Article
While it's true that we are still lagging in world class Healthcare, his tweet seems to be too harsh. Lockdown 1 probably helped people settle down and understand the gravity of the situation.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 10:29   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Alarming!
The numbers are shooting up in MH, DL, GJ, TN

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-whatsapp-image-20200508-6.47.58-am.jpeg
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed