Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 02:11   #1831
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

In Chennai, it seems to be isolation of only the homes where there are positive cases, going forward. This should tone down some anger among the residents when the whole street/area was being sealed off earlier.

I wonder why no one is mentioning about the daily number of tests being conducted now which have been increased to very good levels, which may also be reason for more number of positive cases identified. But still the ratio of positive to total tests almost remains same.

Earlier, when the numbers were really low all seems to suggest that it was due to low levels of testing but when the testing has increased manifold we just seems to have ignored it altogether.

One main positive that I see from the lockdown is the seriousness with which people are following social distancing wherever possible and wearing of masks which I think would not have happened without lockdown. No, educating our people via gentle methods doesn't work always.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 03:08   #1832
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
The sweeping/mopping person had called to say she will not turn up unless her salary is doubled! She works at 5 apartments in the complex, all decided to let her go!
While I can sympathize with her plight, how is driving such a hard bargain going to help? She's much more likely to lose the job she has at your place too!
McLaren Rulez is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 08:06   #1833
Distinguished - BHPian

Tamilnadu (Dindugal district) - Is it possible to purchase, deliver a washing machine?

Hello BHPians

Could you please advise if it'll be possible to purchase (Online or physical store) a washing machine in Dindugal district in TamilNadu? Are Stores like Vasanth & Co expected to open in TN soon?

Thanks.

A relative of mine travelled from Chengelpet to south TN (to their parents home) after getting the pass. Their passes and body temperature were verified at multiple checkpoints during the journey.

The gated community security folks at the destination asked for a self-declaration that the visitors didn't have COVID-19 symptoms. Then my father intervened and impressed upon the security folks that there's no such rule and they let them inside.

I can understand the fear but I feel things are getting out of control with people deciding to implement their own rules. I cannot imagine how people without "contacts" are making their way through this maze.

Last edited by kiku007 : 12th May 2020 at 08:08.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 08:16   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian

The almost desperate need among Governments {Central & State} for -- (i) revenues and (ii) the need to balance numbers getting sick & the fear psychosis vs damage to the poor & need to win the next election are now the driving forces. Every politician worth his/her salt is frightened about the impact CV19 and its after effects will have on an election. Think about the discussions taking place in the villages as migrant workers stumble home weary and angry.

I expect a rapid opening up between now and July. Along with that will come a resignation and realization that CV19 is here to linger in our lives till a vaccine comes along. Masks and temperature checks are here to stay for the time being.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 08:29   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
...need to win the next election are now the driving forces.
Absolutely right. But it's not just now - every decision taken by any politician has considerations of political impact. I wonder what our response would have been if these decision makers had the guts to not worry about getting re-elected.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 09:02   #1836
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I wonder what our response would have been if these decision makers had the guts to not worry about getting re-elected.
Or if the elections were due later in the year/ early next year. We are four years away and most people tend to forgot as seen previously. Will get an idea from what happens in Bihar.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th May 2020 at 09:28.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 09:15   #1837
BHPian

A (seemingly) very useful online course from Johns Hopkins on contact tracing and some other covid related. It is a free course. Available on coursera. I will be taking it myself. For any one that might be interested -

The link to the coursera page.

Quote:
In this introductory course, students will learn about the science of SARS-CoV-2 , including the infectious period, the clinical presentation of COVID-19, and the evidence for how SARS-CoV-2 is transmitted from person-to-person and why contact tracing can be such an effective public health intervention.

Students will learn about how contact tracing is done, including how to build rapport with cases, identify their contacts, and support both cases and their contacts to stop transmission in their communities. The course will also cover several important ethical considerations around contact tracing, isolation, and quarantine. Finally, the course will identify some of the most common barriers to contact tracing efforts -- along with strategies to overcome them.
I think the videos will anyway be available whether or not one enrolls for it. A snapshot from its course page -

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 1203
Size:  19.1 KB

Last edited by Miyata : 12th May 2020 at 09:19.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 09:40   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
A (seemingly) very useful online course from Johns Hopkins on contact tracing and some other covid related. It is a free course. Available on coursera. I will be taking it myself. For any one that might be interested -

The link to the coursera page.

I think the videos will anyway be available whether or not one enrolls for it. A snapshot from its course page -

Maybe a good course for someone with medical background or on the field treating COVID patients. But why would a regular Joe like you or me want to take it.

Our minds are already burdened with daily dosage of information on COVID from the news media, the W.H.O., the government updates and Youtube.

I think the more we start thinking less about this virus, the more peaceful our lives will become.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 10:52   #1839
BHPian

Re: Tamilnadu (Dindugal district) - Is it possible to purchase, deliver a washing machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Hello BHPians

Could you please advise if it'll be possible to purchase (Online or physical store) a washing machine in Dindugal district in TamilNadu?
All stores including Vasanth & Co are open in Coimbatore. Not too sure why they are still closed in Dindugal
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:09   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
I expect a rapid opening up between now and July.
I also anticipate a rapid opening up but it will be surreptitious. All the govts (state + center) have created such a fear among the people that they cannot directly say that they will open up and face the consequences of high positive cases. The term "lockdown" also reinforces the idea that the virus is still an existing threat.

So expecting lockdown v4, v5 and so on while on the ground practically it is opened up.

Last edited by DigitalOne : 12th May 2020 at 11:11.
DigitalOne is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:15   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I also anticipate a rapid opening up but it will be surreptitious. All the govts (state + center) have created such a fear among the people that they cannot directly say that they will open up and face the consequences of high positive cases. The term "lockdown" also reinforces the idea that the virus is still an existing threat.

So expecting lockdown v4, v5 and so on while on the ground practically it is opened up.
There remains a high risk of what you state. It will be disastrous for law abiding businesses and citizens as several babus worth their salt will choose to interpret rules his way and strengthen the license raj we see emerging all around us with petty Govt officials. The draconian tone from the top at the Central Govt is setting the tone for the bureaucrats on the ground.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:30   #1842
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tamilnadu (Dindugal district) - Is it possible to purchase, deliver a washing machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
All stores including Vasanth & Co are open in Coimbatore. Not too sure why they are still closed in Dindugal
Thank you very much. I checked and Vasanth & Co store is open. Sorted.
Old 12th May 2020, 12:22   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The almost desperate need among Governments {Central & State} for -- (i) revenues and (ii) the need to balance numbers getting sick & the fear psychosis vs damage to the poor & need to win the next election are now the driving forces.

I expect a rapid opening up between now and July. Along with that will come a resignation and realization that CV19 is here to linger in our lives till a vaccine comes along. Masks and temperature checks are here to stay for the time being.
Interesting article on the NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/h...c-history.html

According to historians, pandemics typically have two types of endings: the medical, which occurs when the incidence and death rates plummet, and the social, when the epidemic of fear about the disease wanes.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 12:52   #1844
BHPian

PM to address the nation tonight at 8pm
ValarMorghulis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:03   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
PM to address the nation tonight at 8pm
My guess is that Lockdown 4.0 (ultra relaxed lockdown) will be announced wherein all current Red zones will become Orange zones and all current Orange zones will become Green. Current Green zones will become zone free (No Zone no restrictions).
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks