Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 21:01   #1861
BANNED

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Corona virus would be the most confused now. Anyway got some much needed relaxation before ‘Lockdown’ 4.0 with ‘relaxations’. On a similar note, planning to rename my Ford Aspire to Ford Mustang (with relaxations of course) as it’s still a Ford.
The Rationalist is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 21:03   #1862
Team-BHP Support

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Will have to wait and see the breakup of this package. I expect some concessions on the Income Tax for individuals. Regarding the lockdown, it’s more or less certain that things will start opening up and everyone has to live with it taking precaution for themselves. Makes sense, given the current low mortality rates.
Turbanator is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 21:42   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy what's left of your Lock Down 3.0. I think we'll get a call to get back to work on May 17th. Frankly nothing much, except for the Rs 20,00,000 cr package and leaving the Lock Down 4.0 to the State Govt's.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th May 2020 at 07:37. Reason: Avoid political comments please
Durango Dude is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:11   #1864
BHPian

I hope and wish that package gets implemented effectively and those who needs are benefited . I might have to give more in terms of taxes but i guess thats ok. Hope it gets better soon everywhere.
hondafanboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:19   #1865
BHPian

If you're going to announce a financial relief package, just announce it. If you're going to declare another lockdown, just announce it. I don't get the point of the build up. It's only leading to fear mongering, rumours and speculative behaviours. Politics now is indeed the art of the dramatic.

Declaring a lockdown is easy, getting out of one is trickier. And the exit now seems to be made the responsibility of the state governments. A wise man had once said "chaos is a ladder".

Let's see how the theoretical package turns out, and then on, implemented. I'd be more than happy if we can actually become more self reliant.
MegaWhat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:32   #1866
BHPian

Expect a few hundred messages on watsapp filled with rumours and what not. Typical speech - talk about everything but not to the point !
I loved the speech though, looked like one of our mythology stories !
Hope the package is a sensible one. I hope they don't say that income tax is waived off, and when we read the fine print it will say you have to pay it next year with intrest

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 12th May 2020 at 22:35.
hareshjethwani is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:37   #1867
BHPian

How much is 15lakhs x 135 crores?

Anyway, jokes apart, I am curious to know, how exactly the first package, the rice, daal, cash from the first lockdown, get utilised? Exhausted by now or yet to reach the beneficiaries or just no one remembers about it anymore???

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 12th May 2020 at 22:45.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:39   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
That would be approx. 20 Cr Cr
sunilch is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:54   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post

Anyway, jokes apart, I am curious to know, how exactly the first package, the rice, daal, cash from the first lockdown, get utilised? Exhausted by now or yet to reach the beneficiaries or just no one remembers about it anymore???
Nailed it
Alas, the old adage comes true
Amit_breakfree is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 23:09   #1870
Distinguished - BHPian

10% of GDP is such a nice figure to look at, try telling that figure to the migrant workers who are yet to reach their homes after remaining empty stomach for days and walking. Try telling that figure to the workers who have lost their job and are now desperate to find new jobs just to feed their families. Try telling that figure to the ones whose salaries have been cut and now they are finding ways to fund their next EMI or turn a defaulter. Try telling that to the families of the workers who got mowed down by the train recently or the ones who were crushed on the highways. My simple point, if all this was to be done, why not do it when it needed to be done ? Not after 50 days of lockdown and so many lives lost not because of the pandemic but because of the abrupt lockdown. Our country will finally move on and now that everyone is more or less convinced that we have to live with the virus, there is still ambiguity and confusion on the ground with no clear roadmap !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 23:21   #1871
BHPian

IMO most of this 20L Crore package will be in the form of credit guarantees. The real meat will not be more than 3L-4L Crores. However, what is more important than the quantum of package is the quality. Where and in which fashion is this stimulus going to be used? Which areas will be given priority? How much budgetary support will be extended to the States? These are some of the important questions that I hope the govt has thought through.

As for the #Atmanirbharbharat clarion call by the PM, we need to realize that decoupling our supply chains from China might do more harm than good. Again, we need to ruthlessly prioritize and identify our strengths. Dreaming about becoming a manufacturing superpower will not take us anywhere - 'Make in India' is a case in point. Real land and labour reforms (not what UP and other States are doing) are needed. I fear, that the marginalized might be further crushed by the rich and powerful under the garb of reform and industrialization.

However, as they say - 'The devil lies in the details'. Let us wait for the FM to announce the details. Needless to say, someone will have to foot the bill (CEA gave ample hints when he said 'There is no free lunch'). Given, that the tax base in India is abysmally small, don't be surprised to see higher tax rates, new forms of taxes (wealth, inheritance etc), higher GST rates and slabs, higher VAT on fuel and alcohol etc. In short, the salaried class will be paying off this stimulus package for the rest of their lives!
kushagra452 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 02:08   #1872
BHPian

Patiently waiting for the full details of the financial package announced and what this lockdown 4.0 in a diifferent shade is going to come up with but sincerely hoping that the below nonsense stops right away.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-images-81__01.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 07:38   #1873
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Patiently waiting for the full details of the financial package announced and what this lockdown 4.0 in a diifferent shade is going to come up with but sincerely hoping that the below nonsense stops right away.
Can you elaborate on the bolded part. If a building has a covid cases, that is the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post

As for the #Atmanirbharbharat clarion call by the PM, we need to realize that decoupling our supply chains from China might do more harm than good. Again, we need to ruthlessly prioritize and identify our strengths. Dreaming about becoming a manufacturing superpower will not take us anywhere - 'Make in India' is a case in point. Real land and labour reforms (not what UP and other States are doing) are needed. I fear, that the marginalized might be further crushed by the rich and powerful under the garb of reform and industrialization.
I disagree, It will harm the so called companies like Okinawa scooters, which claim to make in India, they don't even have a paint booth. Majority of the electronic, electrical, machinery, tools, chemicals etc are imported from china and some of the companies which claim to Make In India, do nothing but rebadging them.

Back in the 90s we used to make electronic components like capacitors, resistors in india, even machinery and tools in India.Decades later these companies have either all shut down or are just rebadging chinese products.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th May 2020 at 08:01. Reason: use multi-quote feature when replying to different posts
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 08:46   #1874
BHPian

If the lockdown gets over on 17th May I fear that there will a wide spread of the virus just like the US or maybe worse.
I am getting calls from my friends stating plans about hanging out to Starbucks or a restaurant after the 17th to which I strictly said NO. (My parents don't even let me go to the terrace, forget about Starbucks)
It's ofcourse human to be social and frustration builds up over time but that meme keeps coming in my head- " 'ricks' nahi lena hai" (No taking risks)
Last but not the least- one mentality will be stuck on:
"We are the famous rule breakers and precautions are for the teens. Taking precautions is not a cool factor."
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 08:48   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
IMO most of this 20L Crore package will be in the form of credit guarantees. The real meat will not be more than 3L-4L Crores. However, what is more important than the quantum of package is the quality. Where and in which fashion is this stimulus going to be used? Which areas will be given priority? How much budgetary support will be extended to the States? These are some of the important questions that I hope the govt has thought through.
You spoke my mind. When i first heard this figure, the first thought that ran through my mind was this only. The real meat won't be more than 20-25% of this (even that is doubtful). The first package that GOI announced was around 1.7L crores (if i remember correctly) and then there were some announcements by RBI. I never realised that all this already totals to around 7L crores. I am not sure if in reality we have received that kind of a package (thanks to my low knowledge base). Anyways, the remaining figure is around 13L crores.

Our beloved FM unveiled 100L crore+ worth of infra projects last year, some of which will be executed this year (naturally). I have a strong feeling that it will be counted under this new package.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 13th May 2020 at 08:50.
tarik.arora is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks