Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 19:32   #1921
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Why June 30? It might be September 30 or even late.

The point is that "lockdown" or whatever you want to name it, is here to stay.
I think for the rest of this year we will have to live with two things: a) Some kind of lockdown (even if its just namesake) and b) Coronavirus.
We may need a dedicated thread on how one should go on a road trip when the virus is out there. What should one do? What's taboo? A friend is on his way to Chennai from Tanjore right now on his Ford Aspire. I have him tips such as packing flasks of coffee and food parcels to avoid unnecessary contacts along the way...
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 19:45   #1922
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Thank you for this. That judge sure knows life.

I was sitting in on my daughter's first grade.. [SNIP]
Makes for a good read, but unnecessarily melodramatic. Aren't we getting enough of it from our prime leader every now and then? It has hardly been couple of months of this situation and people have started talking as if it's been ages and having very fond memories from their childhood.

Of course for few months more people would be walking around with masks and taking extra care than usual, but things would ease out over time as and when the medical field makes strides to tackle this virus.
jayded is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:07   #1923
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Makes for a good read, but unnecessarily melodramatic. Aren't we getting enough of it from our prime leader every now and then? It has hardly been couple of months of this situation and people have started talking as if it's been ages and having very fond memories from their childhood.

Of course for few months more people would be walking around with masks and taking extra care than usual, but things would ease out over time as and when the medical field makes strides to tackle this virus.
A couple of months is a long time for a country of 1.3 billion people to be locked up during which we have been witness to numerous deaths inflicted on people. So no, I am not being melodramatic at all. Or at the very least, I am only being as melodramatic as those screaming death from this virus; and their melodrama is actually killing people walking on our highways.

But I do hope that you are right about us getting back to normal.
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 22:30   #1924
BANNED

WHO experts are experts indeed. First, they were not sure Covid-19 was a pandemic, then they said lockdown was the magic bullet, now they are not sure whether the lockdown will work. The joke is on the poor people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52643682
The Rationalist is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 01:45   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Don't be thankful for decency. That definition is subjective.
But why not? My definitions work for me. I think you are a decent person, who understands (from experience and empathy) the difficulties others may go through. There are others on this thread who are front line doctors and intensivists - instead of being swept up in emotion and foolish demagoguery and symbolism, they have provided us with a dispassionate and informed view on what is going on and will happen. I am certainly thankful for these views that may broaden all our horizons.

I am now way off-topic and sound very preachy as well, so I'll cease and desist. I may open a new venture competing with Nithyananda soon.
v1p3r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 08:09   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
We may need a dedicated thread on how one should go on a road trip when the virus is out there. What should one do? What's taboo? A friend is on his way to Chennai from Tanjore right now on his Ford Aspire. I have him tips such as packing flasks of coffee and food parcels to avoid unnecessary contacts along the way...
To be honest I can't believe this is happening. Yes, there need to be precautions but without proper guidance, things are tipping heavily on the paranoia side.

The Government said the virus will kill you if you go outside when the cases were in 3 digits in TN and now asking people to live with the virus when it's 8xxx. People are confused.

I was told that my dad went to buy a couple of tender coconuts but came home with tender coconuts for Rs.500 in the car. Why? He realised he only had a Rs.500 note and didn't want to get change from the vendor. Mother went ballistic. I'm at my wits end.
kiku007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 08:35   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
He realised he only had a Rs.500 note and didn't want to get change from the vendor.

I made my dad download and learn how to use Google Pay and Paytm. Since him being an old school, he use to shun away from using any payment apps. Now he is comfortable using them, be it medicines or groceries, he finds it more convenient now.
On a different note, Maharashtra might extend lockdown till May 31st as per today's Times of India.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th May 2020 at 09:52. Reason: Typos
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 09:30   #1928
BHPian

Such media errors drive fear and panic across. For those who don't understand Kannada , this one says , there are 794 Covid-19 positive patients in Karnataka with "A" symptoms. ( kar lo ab lockdown extend )
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-screenshot_20200515090443__01.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 09:43   #1929
BANNED

The genetic variation in SARS-Cov-2 isolated from different parts of India.
http://vinodscaria.rnabiology.org/co...G02XsfsxozUAXg
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-baa0ef486a5e42da81e70127cf8e774c.jpeg  

The Rationalist is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 10:31   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Somehow, am not able to understand the trend of Coronavirus. How can we be recording cases now ? If one catches coronavirus, then the symptoms show up in 14 days or so, hence the quarntine timeline of 14 days. Now, we are in lockdown for over 50 days. So shouldnt the cases be over by now ? Or at the most in 30 days, there should be no cases. If someone get Coronavirus now, it means they must have interacted in last 14 days with someone with Coronavirus. Wasnt isolation the sole purpose of lockdown ? Why still are we getting close to 4000 cases on daily basis ?

On another note, I have lost two distant relatives in Indore due to Coronavirus, and 10 of my maternal relatives in Indore are Corona Positive while results for two are pending. Some other relatives have survived and tested negative as of now. Never knew that a virus can be so damn adaptive that it can survive heat wave of India and thrive in colder regions.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th May 2020 at 10:44.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 10:38   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
WHO experts are experts indeed. First, they were not sure Covid-19 was a pandemic, then they said lockdown was the magic bullet, now they are not sure whether the lockdown will work. The joke is on the poor people.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52643682
I think WHO recommended social distancing. Isn't lockdown the interpretation of local governments, enforced to different extents, with India being severely enforced?

What WHO is telling is covid-19 will linger around like SARS, MERS. But it doesn't mean the severity of cases will last for years.

Last edited by msdivy : 15th May 2020 at 10:39.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 10:50   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If someone get Coronavirus now, it means they must have interacted in last 14 days with someone with Coronavirus. Wasnt isolation the sole purpose of lockdown ? Why still are we getting close to 4000 cases on daily basis ?
You are talking about the ideal scenario. The reality is far away from that. There would be a large set of population who may not have followed the lock down religiously.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 10:55   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The genetic variation in SARS-Cov-2 isolated from different parts of India.
http://vinodscaria.rnabiology.org/co...G02XsfsxozUAXg
So which one of these variants would be a preferred one for us to get infected with, to obtain immunity at the least cost - Edward Jenner cowpox style? It would also be a great medical tourism destination for the region having the most "benign" variant
Old 15th May 2020, 11:09   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow, am not able to understand the trend of Coronavirus. How can we be recording cases now ? If one catches coronavirus, then the symptoms show up in 14 days or so, hence the quarntine timeline of 14 days. Now, we are in lockdown for over 50 days. So shouldnt the cases be over by now ? Or at the most in 30 days, there should be no cases. If someone get Coronavirus now, it means they must have interacted in last 14 days with someone with Coronavirus. Wasnt isolation the sole purpose of lockdown ? Why still are we getting close to 4000 cases on daily basis ?
he he he!. Your expectations are too high from Indians.

In the strictest lockdown in the world, at any given point of time lakhs and lakhs of people will still be interacting with or without reason!.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:17   #1935
BHPian

Quote:

On another note, I have lost two distant relatives in Indore due to Coronavirus, and 10 of my maternal relatives in Indore are Corona Positive while results for two are pending. Some other relatives have survived and tested negative as of now. Never knew that a virus can be so damn adaptive that it can survive heat wave of India and thrive in colder regions.
Sorry for your loss but you must be aware of the social fabric of the general populace at Indore I suppose. Not saying your relatives fall in the same bracket but in general the attitude of the population at the start of this Pandemic was very casual. Remember the 'Juluce' they took out on Janta curfew day? Or the stoning and brick-bats beating of the healthcare workers who were contact tracing in some locality? The city took it very lightly with 'Our Immune system is superior to handle this Virus' attitude in March/April. The Tashan baji there is only second to Delhi I suppose.

Now, in general there are folks like this all over the country who are partly responsible for the spread of the virus. In some other cases, it was the sheer 'Majboori' (Helplessness) of the people who had to venture out for food/work/going back to native place/etc which also has spread the virus a bit.

Finally, we are testing a lot more than earlier. We are testing nearly 1L/day now. So numbers are bound to increase in absolute terms. However, if we are seeing 4K new cases everyday while testing 1L everyday, then that is a low (read good) figure.

Last edited by sunilch : 15th May 2020 at 11:21.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed