Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2020, 22:40   #1951
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

I have stopped looking at the numbers since long . In my limited knowledge, I got one thing very clear from the very beginning that it’s almost impossible to remain uninfected. At some point of time, the virus will get you by hook or by crook. You can only take as much precaution as you want but there will be a point of infection lurking somewhere. An ATM door or a ATM keypad can be a potential touch point too not withstanding repeated disinfection by the workers or a simple door of a supermarket store or a pharmacy door or whatever that makes touch necessary. I am thankful to Doctors in this thread who have made critical inputs and made my limited knowledge look like almost doctorate level !! This point of asymptomatic positive patients is hardly known to the public at large, the media which could have played a gigantic hand in soothing the nerves, instead chose to play to the gallery and created an unnecessary panic amongst the citizens. Every morning I hear someone getting panicked by hearing the news from some channel and fearing that the virus is knocking at the door. The lockdown has to end someday but it’s the associated things after the end of the lockdown that is actually scary. The public transport will have the fares hiked, flights as well train fares will be hiked too, the general cost of living will go up by miles. Food for thought isn’t it ? It’s the loss and disgrace of our country that a situation like this prevails where people are dying for no fault of theirs and people instead of asking questions are happy to remain locked down !

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 15th May 2020 at 22:56.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 22:59   #1952
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Think eradication of Polio and Smallpox.
Polio & smallpox were known for 5000 years. Finally when the vaccine was found in the late 1950s, WHO got involved in the 60s, intensified effort in 70s/80s, and finally eradicated in the 2000s.

You are looking at an elaborate bureaucratic setup funded by well-to-do countries, primarily focused on solving health issues in not so well-to-do countries.

Covid-19 was found in late December 2019, got its name in early Jan, found to be a global health emergency in late Jan, then announced as a pandemic in early March, all by WHO.

If polio & smallpox are 5 seasons 8 one hour episode story, the covid-19 has been a 5-minute short film for WHO writers.

Covid-19 research is ongoing, fewer experiments to confirm any findings, very less peer-reviewed & validated papers. Research institutes are closed or are operating with less staff. In such a lack of 'solid solution' situation, how will WHO give the exact guidelines, and tell the right medicine to tackle the epidemic?

Today, anybody in the world can talk to anybody else in any part of the world. Anybody can announce anything to the whole world. In this different world, the disease is also spreading at a rapid pace, before anybody can gain control. This requires new thinking in handling such epidemics. The current setup is not handling the pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
In fact, the clear winners from this crisis are the religious nut jobs.
You bet. None of them had any idea of covid-19 till March 2020 and now they all know why it started and when it will end. Unfortunately, like before, nobody will hold them accountable for their words

Last edited by msdivy : 15th May 2020 at 23:11.
msdivy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 23:10   #1953
BHPian

Guys, have the intercity long route buses started too ?? I spotted a couple of Scania/Volvo multiaxle semisleeper and sleeper buses zooming past me on Mumbai roads and what it looked like, there were passengers in it. I am sure they are not company buses. Also, spotted three non-ac sleepers headed towards Gujarat side from Mulund, Mumbai. People were there in all of the above mentioned buses.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 23:31   #1954
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Polio & smallpox were known for 5000 years. Finally when the vaccine was found in the late 1950s, WHO got involved in the 60s, intensified effort in 70s/80s, and finally eradicated in the 2000s....

If polio & smallpox are 5 seasons 8 one hour episode story, the covid-19 has been a 5-minute short film for WHO writers.
You are right. Covid is a small blip in the vast context of time that the WHO has worked in. And it is right to say that WHO, as anyone else out there, has not had a chance to fully understand the disease. But, despite the vaccum of knowledge that exists about the disease, WHO went right ahead and asked all societies to shut down. As simple as that instruction sounds; today, we know today what a massive cost such a step carries. Economies collapsing. People dying for a thousand lockdown-induced reasons other than Covid. Fear permeating everyone's mind till the end of time. The works.

The WHO actually should have called for sealed borders much earlier. To compensate for that mistake, they called a world-wide shutdown with all the misery that that brings.

The whole problem is the "zero casualty acceptance" approach from everyone, and especially from the WHO. I imagine that it is exactly that approach that knee-jerked WHO into issuing these absolutely horrid recommendations. If the army worked under such the paradigm of "zero casualty acceptance", we would be at war every day.

The fact is that when a new crisis arises, be it pathogenic, or environmental, or military, some casualties are inevitable. You actually need to be willing to bleed some in order to give yourself the time to observe and think.

This may be a very weak analogy. But still, it may be appropriate. In software triage we choose to not fix some known issues. Because the cost of fixing those issues would be far larger than the problem created for users due to the issue.

Now, I am not trivializing the loss of life through Covid. But, the lockdown as a combat measure is certainly trivializing human suffering and loss of life due to every reason other than Covid.
mohansrides is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 23:57   #1955
BANNED

To all those who believe “we” will be spared of the economic after effects, just read what the guest workers or migrant workers says. A large number are so pissed off with “us” and have vowed not to return to serve us. That will be scarier than getting a Covid-19 infection. The resentment is so much that most abhor “us”. Maybe eventually they may be forced to come back because of economic reasons, but I bet they will never be the same people we knew. We have betrayed them, trust and respect is the basis of all realtionships, once it’s lost it’s very difficult to gain it back.
The Rationalist is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 01:07   #1956
BHPian

It has begun and I saw this coming. Frontline doctor's Nasopharyngeal swab categorically rejected for testing at an XYZ centre, Mumbai citing the reason that he/she is mildly symptomatic. I am not saying, this is either a right or wrong practice and neither want to create panic, but you all can just ponder over if perpetual lockdown prepared us for augmentation of healthcare infrastructure ! Not blaming the Govt or anyone, but reality is dawning upon everyone that, let's take chances and "live and continue to work" with this virus, else the system will collapse and who will be left in the "frontline" then ?? This gamble was imminent.

Let's wage a war against this virus head on, come what may. God bless everyone
vivek95 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 04:26   #1957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I spotted a couple of Scania/Volvo multiaxle semisleeper and sleeper buses zooming past me on Mumbai roads.
Same here in North, I saw such buses and a lot of Delhi registered Innova’s yesterday on Delhi-Amritsar highway.

Most likely, these will be people returning from overseas being taken to their respective home cities.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th May 2020 at 14:26. Reason: Minor typo.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 12:14   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
To all those who believe “we” will be spared of the economic after effects, just read what the guest workers or migrant workers says. A large number are so pissed off with “us” and have vowed not to return to serve us. That will be scarier than getting a Covid-19 infection. The resentment is so much that most abhor “us”. Maybe eventually they may be forced to come back because of economic reasons, but I bet they will never be the same people we knew. We have betrayed them, trust and respect is the basis of all realtionships, once it’s lost it’s very difficult to gain it back.
Lockdown supporters will say " so what? We saved you from the virus and certain death".
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 12:32   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe eventually they may be forced to come back because of economic reasons.
Or hopefully UP, Bihar etc get their economic acts right so that such regional disparities are reduced that workers need not come back at all in search of work to the more prosperous states. That would be the best outcome.
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 12:37   #1960
BHPian

If this is a sneaky way by the state government to ensure that people don't come back into Karnataka then it probably will work.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/75766746.cms
Old 16th May 2020, 12:47   #1961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
If this is a sneaky way by the state government to ensure that people don't come back into Karnataka then it probably will work.
Its just regular everyday government apathy. Nothing new.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 12:53   #1962
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Or hopefully UP, Bihar etc get their economic acts right so that such regional disparities are reduced that workers need not come back at all in search of work to the more prosperous states. That would be the best outcome.
While what you mentioned is a good thing, it will never be practical. Why would software professionals migrate to Benagluru, Hyderabad, Pune and all. Software professionals are also guest workers/migrant workers getting a higher wage, their mother states can reduce the disparities. For example my home state of Kerala has very high number of people working outside state. People will always migrate in search of better opportunities.

For what you suggested to happen the wages would have to be equal all over the world, will it happen? Well in an utopia, anything is possible. In an utopia, we all will be born in a village/town/city and live and die there, there will be no need to leave one’s place except for sight seeing. No harm in dreaming in a completely perfect paradise as I also grew up hearing a story of King Mahabali and his kingdom of Mavelinadu (Kerala) where everyone was equal! I do love the concept, but I don’t get carried away by it.
The Rationalist is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 13:44   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing more than we actually deserve.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 14:26   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get it? What do you mean "we"? There was never a "we" in what happened. It was never our choice and I don't understand why they would blame us. What did "we" do? Just following what the government said? Is that a crime to do so, now that my fellow country-men get so pissed of us.

This is simple ridiculous to blame one another when it was all done by the Government. Although I don't support lock-down, but this argument doesn't make any sense to me. Don't blame "we".

Last edited by xcentrk : 16th May 2020 at 14:27. Reason: grammar
xcentrk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 16:26   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
This is simple ridiculous to blame one another when it was all done by the Government. Although I don't support lock-down, but this argument doesn't make any sense to me. Don't blame "we".
Yep. I don’t remember voting for deciding lockdown or any of its extensions. It’s like saying “we” are responsible for ration cards and other welfare schemes. This is typical ‘unnecessary claiming the blame’ whereas the real blame (or credit) lies clearly on the Government elected by everyone, not just us.
ani_meher is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed