Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2020, 16:50   #1966
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
This is simple ridiculous to blame one another when it was all done by the Government.
Logically yes. It is the govt who should be blamed for the crisis in their lives because the govt ordered the lockdown and also responsible for subsequent situation.

But if you can see through the eyes of a hungry thirsty migrant walking under the peak summer sun you will see that the 'we' never had a life and death situation with the lockdown. Most were working from home or had adequate savings to tide over.

For once, the large crowds when the wine shops clearly showed the disparity between them and us. It would seem like an existential question for both the parties, them because of no food and shelter and ours because of no wine.

It is more like the perpetual war between the haves and have-nots.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if it was in their destiny that India made those big highways, more recently in a very rapid pace, so that they (migrants) can walk on them for 1000 kms to go home.
fordday is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 17:15   #1967
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

When are these guys planning to update the public about lockdown 4?? It's already Saturday, and I have a feeling it's again going to be an 8pm on a Sunday announcement.
mayankk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 17:19   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Logically yes. It is the govt who should be blamed for the crisis in their lives because the govt ordered the lockdown and also responsible for subsequent situation.

But if you can see through the eyes of a hungry thirsty migrant walking under the peak summer sun you will see that the 'we' never had a life and death situation with the lockdown. Most were working from home or had adequate savings to tide over.
Trust me, I had situation as worse as those workers but yet I never blamed anyone but Government. If I had not decided to do something and start selling IR Thermometer like a door to door salesman, I wouldn't have survived this situation as I have put all my life savings into my business only to get thwarted by the covid situation.

I get it. I feel really bad for them and I am trying to help them as much as I can. But that's not because I feel guilty but because I can feel their pain. It's high time we stop blaming us, as a whole for something which we never had control of.

This is one of a kind situation and there is no right or wrong. But the government should have acted in better way and implemented things in a much better way so that these poor workers hadn't suffer so much.
xcentrk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 17:45   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
When are these guys planning to update the public about lockdown 4?? It's already Saturday, and I have a feeling it's again going to be an 8pm on a Sunday announcement.
Like lockdown v3, it will be a MHA press release pdf.

But don't expect any big central announcements from the MHA release this time, as the states will decide the extent and duration of the lockdown for their respective states.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 18:05   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
They have so completely lost interest in taking charge of the situation, that they have decided to just take it easy and chill. I don't see they have any sort of concrete plan in place since the start and now they are running out of ideas of how to give this a positive spin to make it sound like they know what they are doing.
praveen789 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 18:27   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the center has any plans to execute except providing financial assistance. Things looks to be are are now taken up by respective states and local administrations with respect to what would be the path forward.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 18:32   #1972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Like lockdown v3, it tates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
They have ustrati
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I don't thinkard.
Oh great!
I'm in Ulta Pradesh, so that implies being rogered.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:57   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Please go through the largest and best study done yet to find out the prevalence of Corona virus in Spain. While my arguments of asymptomatic infection turned out true, I have to admit my assumption of deaths is way off by a mile.
A very important study. I would like to respectfully offer one point for your learned consideration. While it is true that whole of Spain has an infection rate of 5% as assumed by this study and thus cases are assumed to be 10x and the death rate to be 1%, it should be kept in mind that the areas most affected have an infection rate of 11 to 15%. That includes the capital and the largest city of Madrid. These are the areas where most deaths took place as well. So we should assume an infection rate of around 12% and base the death rate from there which would reduce it to around 0.3%.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th May 2020 at 23:21. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 23:15   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
In all this tamasha we have crossed China's total cases, will cross over a lakh soon and have royally screwed up a working economy and in the process destroyed crores of jobs and pushed millions from lower middle class into poverty.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th May 2020 at 07:03. Reason: Political reference deleted
AirbusCapt is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 23:31   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
In all this tamasha we have crossed China's total cases, will cross over a lakh soon and have royally screwed up a working economy and in the process destroyed crores of jobs and pushed millions from lower middle class into poverty.
What else did you expect for a country with our population, literacy, per capita income ? Its not like you can undo decades of lethargy in our system in one go.

There are developed/advanced countries with a population equal to Karnataka which have fared worse. Even countries with population equal to one of our metro cities have had it tough.

There are so many people working in handling this pandemic. There are people going to door to door to keep check of any person with any fever or cold symptoms everyday.

Why are we expecting ideal response when it hasnt happened anywhere ? Are we Supermen ? Sorry for saying this. But we need to keep our conditions which is not from yesterday and today before we expect miracles.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th May 2020 at 07:04. Reason: Quoted text edited
srishiva is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 23:51   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why are we expecting ideal response when it hasn't happened anywhere ? Are we Supermen ? Sorry for saying this. But we need to keep our conditions which is not from yesterday and today before we expect miracles.
While i agree that there is no ideal response to this challenging situation but no one is expecting any miracles either. Only some accountability for the decisions and their outcomes.

Although hindsight is always 20/20 but it is necessary to course correct and not put up smoke screens instead. But if that were to happen, it may indeed be nothing short of a miracle.
theMandarin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 00:00   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why are we expecting ideal response when it hasnt happened anywhere ? Are we Supermen ? Sorry for saying this. But we need to keep our conditions which is not from yesterday and today before we expect miracles.
Look no farther than up north towards China. For everything we want to compete with China, how about emulating their disaster response for one? Albeit they were slow to start and screwed up the initial response, however it's fantastic the way they contained, controlled and opened up the economy within a few months.
It's our indian habit of finger pointing to everything from our population to lethargy as an excuse when confronted with accusations of shoddy work. We locked down for 50+ days, it was ample time to prepare more hospital beds, higher testing, a universal pay protection scheme, food security and arranging for transport for migrants. Sadly these 50 days were only used for 8/9pm speeches and clapping in balconies.
AirbusCapt is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 02:13   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
We locked down for 50+ days, it was ample time to prepare more hospital beds, higher testing, a universal pay protection scheme, food security and arranging for transport for migrants. Sadly these 50 days were only used for 8/9pm speeches and clapping in balconies.
The expectations are justified but nothing much can be done. Government ran out of money even before Covid-19. We entered the crisis with largest ever fiscal deficit. Very little is left in the kitty. I really don't want to be in the shoes of a Government right now, regardless if it is a state or center or of any country in general.

Every time our FM speaks of Relief, it reminds a movie scene from Mad Max Fury when poor citizens fight over ration water.

Ironically, it also starts with clapping of utensils.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 17th May 2020 at 02:40.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 02:37   #1979
BANNED

Quote:
Look no farther than up north towards China. For everything we want to compete with China, how about emulating their disaster response for one? Albeit they were slow to start and screwed up the initial response, however it's fantastic the way they contained, controlled and opened up the economy within a few months.

Ofcourse, nobody can compete with China. In hiding and suppressing information.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...6.cms?from=mdr

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...as-virus-bites

China: A country where Facebook, Google and Whatsapp is banned.

China: A country where you cant Weibo (weibo is China's search engine) Tiananmen square.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/05/we...n-anniversary/ https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1SW03Y

What an absolutely phenomenal role model to have.
turbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 07:43   #1980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Ofcourse, nobody can compete with China. In hiding and suppressing information.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...6.cms?from=mdr

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...as-virus-bites

l
I didn't get this. These articles say that mobile phone numbers declined. They suppressed their subscriber base?
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed