Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 12:21   #2146
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Bengaluru cops having a field day I hear, seizing all vehicles out during the lockdown which is from Saturday 7pm - Monday 7am, starting 23rd May. This is purely to reduce person to person contact
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 12:38   #2147
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Bengaluru cops having a field day I hear, seizing all vehicles
They are just seizing the moment by ceasing your movement.

Sunday lockdowns while rest of week is slowly becoming like any other normal day with total disregard to social distancing is not going to do any magic to control the spread.
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 12:43   #2148
Distinguished - BHPian

Karnataka govt’s COVID-19 policy could endanger senior citizens: Experts

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/k...ts-841269.html

Hilarious turn of events. GoI & GoKA are damned if they lock down and damned if they loosen the restrictions.

In some societies with a predominantly elderly age profile, this thinking that the 'younger' employed residents are raising / will raise the risk profile of the community has already resulted in heated arguments and strife.

Sad fact is that everyone wants to restart the economy, help the migrants, help the housemaids, Uber Ola drivers etc etc except when their own seclusion/self-isolation is threatened.

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th May 2020 at 12:45.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 12:59   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting times ahead.
Guess what everyone is realizing is that a home cannot be peaceful / happy if the neighborhood is not; and likewise; the neighborhood cannot be at peace if the home is not!

For years we have cleaned up our homes and sullied the immediate neighborhood. Guess it's time to take some responsibility towards the neighborhood as well!

The mutual co-dependence is making itself glaringly evident.
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 13:21   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Truth is, the migrant workers were hang out to dry when they needed help. No amount of talk is going to change what they went through !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
It seems everyone else can be blamed for the mess including the migrants themselves for being poor ...
I witnessed for the first time what we call the "migrant problem".

This "event" has been well reported in today's newspapers
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...ru-841251.html

I passed by this "event" while attending to some work around 9:30AM - by this time a long queue had formed, from palace grounds to almost near the enfield showroom.
Returning back at around 2pm, the queue had grown longer, with a big crowd near the palace grounds gate, and there were quite a few media personnel.
The queue consisted of people of all ages - babies to elderly were in the queue. Though the majority seemed to be able bodied male.

Note that there are no eateries in the vicinity, not even shops where one could buy a can of water, and these people were standing in the open since hours. Though I did notice some volunteers from some NGO distributing some food packets, but that number seemed like a drop in an ocean.
I do not know if the Govt, also had made some arrangements for food/water.

Now, only time will tell if the frustration boils over.
whitewing is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 16:40   #2151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Every instance of minimizing people interacting with each other goes a long way in lowering the rate of spread. The PSU my sister works for now mandates their employees to come on every alternate day. Even that helps and is a lot better than every one traveling every day and being exposed. Every closed day minimizes the interactions and helps in containing the spread.
I am not sure about alternate days, but one day a week is a complete joke of an idea. Idiocy.
Old 24th May 2020, 17:34   #2152
BHPian

One of the reasons for this Sunday curfew could be to allow the Government machinery to lower their guard a bit and relax. Ideally a curfew situation would require lesser police and civic manpower, thus allowing the remaining force to have a much deserved day off.

Of course, this could just be a figment of my imagination which wants to see some method behind this madness.

Last edited by himarg : 24th May 2020 at 17:51.
himarg is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 19:14   #2153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
... ... ... this could just be a figment of my imagination which wants to see some method behind this madness.
It's a good point. I do wonder, though, if anyone is even thinking that clearly.

And... It might even take more guys on the street to enforce the curfew.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th May 2020 at 19:15.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 20:11   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
One of the reasons for this Sunday curfew could be to allow the Government machinery to lower their guard a bit and relax. Ideally a curfew situation would require lesser police and civic manpower, thus allowing the remaining force to have a much deserved day off.
Exactly. This was the reason given by the State Covid Action Committee in Kerala on media channels. The police and other volunteers deserve a day off. Also, the lockdown was relaxed only to do business not for leisure. Sundays are holidays for businesses and hence there is no reason for people to come out of their homes.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 20:37   #2155
BHPian

I have voted supporting lockdown extensions because there is no fourth option 'others'.
The 4th phase of lockdown is a much watered down one I guess and it is so because of the mounting pressure on the government to support the crumbling economy. While the horrors of job loss and poverty of rural India is a huge concern, so is the rapid spread of this virus.

People are looking at the death rate and is thinking (mainly youth) this is not that serious, at max I will get a severe flu and that's it. But what most don't think is that once the tipping point is reached our health care system won't be able to handle the incoming patients and if you don't get medical attention, you can die from a severe fever, and people have in olden times.

While I support lockdown, I believe it's not the government that should declare lockdowns but we as citizens should decide that if it is not important it can wait and practice self imposed quarantine/social distancing. Shops and business can open following proper protocols as directed by the local governments/ health department but people should be prudent enough to sort their priorities.

As a person working in essential services, I have been working through the entire lockdown period and have had my holidays also taken from me. I have no complaints but when I see people flout instruction from the authorities which are for our own benefits it makes my blood boil.

I know it sounds privileged when almost half the population of India have lost their livelihood and is looking forward for this to end but we have to keep in mind that this situation is likely to continue till 2022 at the least.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 20:43   #2156
Distinguished - BHPian

What the super cyclone Amphan has done for the people of Calcutta is negate the entire lockdown procedure. People are out on the streets just to demand electricity and water after almost 96 hours of torture, social distancing be damned. The cyclone just showed how the migrants felt when they were devoid of the basic necessities. In case of migrants it was food and for the city dwellers it is water !! When it is about the clear and present danger, people will choose the present one only without caring for the future danger which may or may not happen.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 20:48   #2157
BHPian

With the numbers steadily increasing as was expected, are we looking at a lockdown 5.0?

In addition, per my interaction with delivery boys, street vendors and few people from similar strata, almost all have totally wrong understanding of the disease, modality of transmission and severity. It is terrible fear, and a dose of irrational beliefs ,as is discussed within their societal circles.

Some believe it is absolutely lethal, some think it has bizarre side effects and our maid has even told my wife that a guy in their locality has captured alive, "do teen Karona" as big as cockroaches, and kept them in a glass jar as prize catch! She is an innocent villager... and she's convinced that's how corona is...
No laughing matter.

A food delivery guy refused to get in the elevator because elevator buttons have corona and just the touch would knock him down!! No amount of sanitizer or logic helped! How do we overcome this???

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 24th May 2020 at 21:02.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 21:08   #2158
BHPian

I have a retail store which we opened up from this week. The amount of frustration and care at damn attitude with the customers who walk in is unbelievable. Our association has had a poster printed with the norms required which includes no entry without putting on masks. Out of 10 who walk in, 3-4 argue with us just because they are questioned for not wearing a mask ! Wonder where this will lead us if this is the attitude of so many people.
hareshjethwani is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 21:52   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
3-4 argue with us just because they are questioned for not wearing a mask ! Wonder where this will lead us if this is the attitude of so many people.
Yea, saw a lady customer in the more stores I was visiting Saturday afternoon..totally flipped out and yelling at just about everyone. She was up in arms against the cashiers, the security guy, the store manager, and even some other customers!

Apparently she did not like the way the security guy (seemed like a decent sr citizen) asked her to keep some baggage at the door!

She lowered the mask to yell at everyone around! To escape the venomous droplets in the air I moved to the farthest corner of the shop and once the drama subsided, left the stores without buying anything. I apologized to the security guy on her behalf and assured him and the store manager that if there was anyone at fault here, it was the lady with the blown fuse!

I know many people are fighting their own personal battles, but seriously, making a scene where a simple, understanding, kind word would have solved all problems is absolutely not pardonable.
Miyata is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 23:49   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
I have a retail store which we opened up from this week. The amount of frustration and care at damn attitude with the customers who walk in is unbelievable. Our association has had a poster printed with the norms required which includes no entry without putting on masks. Out of 10 who walk in, 3-4 argue with us just because they are questioned for not wearing a mask ! Wonder where this will lead us if this is the attitude of so many people.
People are right to be sceptical. The WHO initially stated masks were unnecessary and useless. We had one senior infectious diseases expert give a presentation in our hospital saying masks are useless and actually cause more infections because people touch the masks often.

I have been wearing a mask from the beginning because I believe some protection is better than nothing.

Now, the WHO and so called experts should basically shut up and stop shooting in the sky without knowing for sure about the cause and spread of the virus. Its better to say I dont know when you actually dont know about something.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks