Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 23:56   #2161
Team-BHP Support

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I have been wearing a mask from the beginning because I believe some protection is better than nothing.
Mask wearing is a habit among people of East Asian countries like Korea/Japan/China if they have cough or common cold. It is common courtesy, so that they don't infect fellow citizens.
SmartCat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 17:10   #2162
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Sorry, this is factually wrong. Many state governments had announced state-wide curfews even before the nation-wide lockdown announced on March 24th (effective from March 25th.)
Lockdown of a state, or a district or a town, a village or even a house would have been more effective than of locking down the whole country. What I mean is we attempted at locking down even the safe zones. But quarantining or locking down red & containment zones would have been sufficient.

2 actions would have been enough to tackle covid-19:

1) Block all new entries into the country (or at least quarantine the arrivals).

2) Trace & quarantine +ve cases in the state.

KA & KL did (2) better in March, April of 2020, and got down the case number. Other states like MH, GJ, TN failed and cases have ballooned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
One of the reasons for this Sunday curfew could be to allow the Government machinery to lower their guard a bit and relax.
In fact it has turned out more work for Police, in ensuring people are indeed maintaining the curfew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
In addition, per my interaction with delivery boys, street vendors and few people from similar strata, almost all have totally wrong understanding of the disease, modality of transmission and severity. It is terrible fear, and a dose of irrational beliefs ,as is discussed within their societal circles.

Some believe it is absolutely lethal, some think it has bizarre side effects and our maid has even told my wife that a guy in their locality has captured alive, "do teen Karona" as big as cockroaches, and kept them in a glass jar as prize catch! She is an innocent villager... and she's convinced that's how corona is...
No laughing matter.

A food delivery guy refused to get in the elevator because elevator buttons have corona and just the touch would knock him down!! No amount of sanitizer or logic helped! How do we overcome this???
True that. Many young & healthy folks still believe testing +ve means certain death and go to all lengths in their sanitization & disinfection. Hopefully the growing count of recovered cases will convince them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Now, the WHO and so called experts should basically shut up and stop shooting in the sky without knowing for sure about the cause and spread of the virus. Its better to say I dont know when you actually dont know about something.
I think the situation in any given community is considered for recommendation. Mask is not recommended when the case count is low & most of the positive cases are known. Mask is required when the cases enter community spread and the positive cases are not known. In case the epidemic is severe, say 70~80% in the community are +ve, then PPE would be required.
Old 26th May 2020, 19:01   #2163
Senior - BHPian

In recent days there has been a spurt of cases our district that was a Green Zone for a long time. Almost all of the postive cases are among the quarantined people who came in from other states (mostly MH) and countries.

I was at my local vegetable shop yesterday and this young man was shopping there. He was very worried and said "I'm not even married yet. What if I die a virgin!!"

All this is due to the fear that was drummed up from Day 1. That young man is least likely to get any symptoms even if infected, let alone die from this, but that fear has everyone in its grip.
samaspire is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 21:50   #2164
BHPian

^^^ Even I am not married yet and I have been responding to online matrimony proposals with the opening statement that I am a physician working in Mumbai in frontline handling 10s of covid positive patients everyday and by now I am surely asymptomatically positive. While two girls are totally okay with that ( I am glad ) , I told them not to wait for me as I cannot meet either of them personally for next 2-3 months, thanks to the endless lockdown extension in Mumbai. I am not at all fearful of this virus but I am thinking from a girl's perspective and her family.
vivek95 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 22:14   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
^^^ Even I am not married yet and I have been responding to online matrimony proposals with the opening statement that I am a physician working in Mumbai in frontline handling 10s of covid positive patients everyday and by now I am surely asymptomatically positive. While two girls are totally okay with that ( I am glad ) , I told them not to wait for me as I cannot meet either of them personally for next 2-3 months, thanks to the endless lockdown extension in Mumbai. I am not at all fearful of this virus but I am thinking from a girl's perspective and her family.
Who knows some charming young lady may fancy your candour as a frontline warrior. A post below of another young man whose marriage hopes were in peril thanks to another war. Read post #24 below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/comme...an-navy-2.html (Indian Aviation - Hawker Seahawk with the Indian Navy)
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 23:11   #2166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
All this is due to the fear that was drummed up from Day 1. That young man is least likely to get any symptoms even if infected, let alone die from this, but that fear has everyone in its grip.
This drilling of fear into the minds was the trigger for this lockdown which has now resulted into a disaster. A complete mess where the economy just went back a decade and we are now staring straight down the barrel ! I would be happy to be proven wrong here regarding the economy though.

Quote:
^^^ Even I am not married yet and I have been responding to online matrimony proposals with the opening statement that I am a physician working in Mumbai in frontline handling 10s of covid positive patients everyday and by now I am surely asymptomatically positive
Going by what’s happening in Mumbai, at the end of it I am sure you will be inundated with proposals if someone decides to check on your posts in TBHP.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 02:43   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Who knows some charming young lady may fancy your candour as a frontline warrior. A post below of another young man whose marriage hopes were in peril thanks to another war. Read post #24 below.

Thank you Sir Will certainly go through that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

Going by what’s happening in Mumbai, at the end of it I am sure you will be inundated with proposals if someone decides to check on your posts in TBHP.
Thanks for the motivation.

Well anyways, everyone check the below link from "Times now". Its a latest video dated 26th May and is about an interview with two prominent Mumbai doctors who give the right insight on why Mumbai's healthcare has collapsed and if the apprehension about Covid-19 is really justified. Dr. Hemant Thacker in the video is especially spot on regarding the indiscriminate admissions just because someone is Covid-19 positive and its striking relation to the Dengue epidemic. I have expressed the exact same views on Team-BHP umpteen times, so I am glad, these senior doctors echo my thoughts on the disparity between Covid and non-Covid patients. Dr. Hemant has aptly put this message across. Probably the best expert opinion I have come across so far ever since this pandemic has entered India.

https://www.timesnownews.com/videos/...t-debate/62144
vivek95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 08:24   #2168
BHPian

Quote:
an interview with two prominent Mumbai doctors who give the right insight
Cometh the next pandemic, you will be one those senior docs giving out sound advice coming from the expertise of also being in the trenches of this "war!"
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 09:17   #2169
Senior - BHPian

While we stare at the lack of beds in regular hospitals, and while KA govt has reduced quarantine days for travel arrivals from 14 days to 7 days due to lack of beds - No takers for train isolation wards, coaches being restored
Quote:
Looks like the railways’ converting several sleeper class coaches into isolation wards for suspected Covid-19 cases was a misplaced plan. With no takers for the train isolation wards, railways has started to turn them back into coaches.

Southern Railway spent several lakhs of rupees and converted around 500 sleeper class coaches into isolation wards, which was the highest target given to a zone by the railway board. The work was completed during the lockdown in record time. Railway staff worked almost round the clock at yards and maintenance workshops for the project.

Middle berths were removed, two toilets of a coach were converted into bathing rooms with expensive fixtures after sealing the Indian commode with floor panels, plastic curtains were installed in the bays, provision was made to install ventilators in each coupe.

In Chennai division alone, 50 coaches were converted into isolation wards at an approximate cost of Rs 20 lakh. Though railways publicized the initiative and also requested the government to use them, the state government did not come forward to do so. Southern Railway too was hesitant to use the coaches to house passengers from Delhi, who arrived by Rajdhani Express on May 16, after the state government sent a letter to the ministry saying railways should quarantine the passengers till tests can be done.
Yet another project initiative caught in bureaucracy. Somebody must stick out and cut this in the interest of tackling this epidemic.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 11:12   #2170
BHPian

In Noida the crazy policy of sealing entire apartment complexes for just one case continues. With the 500 meter rule, even multiple apartment complexes can get sealed. There is absolutely no logic in this. The person detected positive has obviously been shifted to a hospital. So why seal the entire building having 9000 people living in 40 plus towers? At the most that particular flat or that floor could be sealed. This shows a total lack of understanding of this virus. Even the flat where the person tested positive doesn’t become “contaminated” forever. A simple airing of the place with disinfection of surfaces is enough to allow it to be reused after a day or two. Why seal other towers or neighbouring societies? At this rate with lakhs of cases, we will end up sealing the entire nation. On one hand we are trying to restart the economy and on the other side we are stopping people from even going to work. Now people are starting to protest against this. I am getting more and more apprehensive over the loss of our liberties in such an arbitrary manner. See the video and the news story:

https://www.ndtv.com/noida-news/coro...sealed-2235237
Lobogris is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 11:40   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
In Noida the crazy policy of sealing entire apartment complexes for just one case continues. With the 500 meter rule, even multiple apartment complexes can get sealed. There is absolutely no logic in this. The person detected positive has obviously been shifted to a hospital. So why seal the entire building having 9000 people living in 40 plus towers? At the most that particular flat or that floor could be sealed. This shows a total lack of understanding of this virus.
I think the logic is that the infected person might have already spread to a lot of people in the apartment complex. He might have infected the common areas, lifts etc. unknowingly. So the authorities might have assumed that the entire complex might be potentially infected. Containing everyone in that apartment might prevent those infected (and don't know it yet) from spreading it further in the city when they go out. Ideally, they should have tested everyone from the apartment and only quarantined those who test positive. But hey, locking down is way easier.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:15   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
In Noida the crazy policy of sealing entire apartment complexes for just one case continues.
As is seemingly the case in Bangalore as well. One area had a single positive patient and a 100m radius is apparently being sealed off for 28-days. What's more, the Arogya Setu app apparently did not show the positive person - who has now expired.

As the lockdown continues to ease off, more and more covid positive cases will emerge. If authorities do not work out a practical and well thought out mechanism to deal with it, the entire country will be sealed off in bits and pieces as further cases are discovered - a political divide and conquer through their "guerrilla warfare!"

All of this planning on how to deal with such unavoidable situations should have long taken place even during the very first lockdown - some consensus ought to have been reached between the central and local authorities. Clearly, no such thing has happened.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:22   #2173
Senior - BHPian

It's 200m radius, if you're talking about Brigade Millennium, JP Nagar. Family of three/four, sadly. Three towers contained. It used to be high end living, now nobody want to rent even - I was told. I think 'one by one' all major apartment complexes will face this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
As is seemingly the case in Bangalore as well. One area had a single positive patient and a 100m radius is apparently being sealed off for 28-days.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:30   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It's 200m radius, if you're talking about Brigade Millennium, JP Nagar.
Oh, did not know that. Do have few friends living there. I was referring more specifically to a case in Electronic City. The spread is bound to happen - no stopping that - what with many people still ignoring very basic hygiene and proper etiquette.

Saw some people playing gully cricket nearby and none had mask!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:39   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It's 200m radius, if you're talking about Brigade Millennium, JP Nagar. Family of three/four, sadly. Three towers contained. It used to be high end living, now nobody want to rent even - I was told. I think 'one by one' all major apartment complexes will face this.
The 3 towers are not contained. Only 3 floors from the single tower where the +ve case was detected are contained. The others are still free to go out.
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed