Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 18:08   #2176
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I think the logic is that the infected person might have already spread to a lot of people in the apartment complex. He might have infected the common areas, lifts etc. unknowingly. So the authorities might have assumed that the entire complex might be potentially infected. Containing everyone in that apartment might prevent those infected (and don't know it yet) from spreading it further in the city when they go out. Ideally, they should have tested everyone from the apartment and only quarantined those who test positive. But hey, locking down is way easier.
That is the faulty logic. The virus doesn’t hang around in the common areas. All you need to do is disinfect lifts and other touch points which should be done frequently in any case. If we think like that then what about the workplace of those 9000 people, their contacts, places where they have shopped etc? This is unsustainable. For 1 case you would lockdown 9000, for 100 almost a million?
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 18:28   #2177
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
That is the faulty logic. The virus doesn’t hang around in the common areas. All you need to do is disinfect lifts and other touch points which should be done frequently in any case. If we think like that then what about the workplace of those 9000 people, their contacts, places where they have shopped etc? This is unsustainable. For 1 case you would lockdown 9000, for 100 almost a million?
It is a faulty logic indeed. As always our authorities take the easy way out. I've read somewhere, that in the case 1 person is infected in a building, they should test many others in the same building to check the spread. People have suggested search/sort algorithms on how to minimize the number of tests required. If a few more are found to be infected, they need to do contact tracing and try to quarantine anyone who would have come in contact with the infected person (this is whats being done now in Kerala). All this takes a lot of dedicated effort.

The alternate is to lockdown the entire building and make sure no one spreads it outside (this becomes irrelevant once we have entered community spread). I think in this case, they have taken the easy way out.

PS: Not defending their action. I've heard the justification for this logic before. Merely mentioning it here.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 07:08   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Let me tell you an open secret. We assume migrants are being sheltered and fed by the state....
Your local maid/driver/cook...
Just got a WhatsApp message from the apartment association, even residents of the apartment complex are eligible for 10 kgs of rice each!
Old 28th May 2020, 10:20   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Good point. Me, along with my friend had ten bags of rice/dal/staples/salt/atta in combo and we went to distribute to the poor in a colony close by. Within seconds we were inundated with a swarm of people. Just gave away what we had and fleeted from the spot. Is there a more humane way to distribute limited supplies, I wonder (without losing a limb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
where-as the actual migrants are starving
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 19:02   #2180
PPS
Senior - BHPian

With Mumbai now being a global hotspot with about 21% of Covid cases in India, its hard to imagine any suburb here not being affected unless you're in Gorai!

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/76047324.cms

Quote:
The degree of vigilance in the otherwise laidback village of Gorai in the northwestern coast of Mumbai may seem a tad extreme. A bunch of residents stand guard at the police checkpost at the entry point on the Gorai-Uttan road—no one can get in, no one can get out. But the heightened surveillance has paid off. In the 67 days since the statewide lockdown began, the village of 15,000-odd residents has not recorded a single Covid-19 case.
PPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 20:22   #2181
BHPian

More like this town hasn’t found any cases in the residents due to most of them not showing any symptoms. I would be willing to bet there are at least a few dozen cases there as this thing is widespread.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th May 2020 at 00:29. Reason: Fixed broken quote.
Old 28th May 2020, 21:42   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The 3 towers are not contained. Only 3 floors from the single tower where the +ve case was detected are contained. The others are still free to go out.
Correct. There are no restrictions on anyone other than residents of three floors of one tower in the complex. Absolutely nothing on other residents outside the apartment. The new protocol of BBMP is very different from initial stages where even one case meant sealdown of the entire ward. Good thinking on the part of BBMP, especially when there is no need to seal down a few hundred meters radius. Others all around the apartment are living life as normal.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 28th May 2020 at 21:45.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 00:26   #2183
BHPian

A look at what doctors are facing while performing duties in Srinagar.

All our beloved Government has to do to bury this news is organize another one of their stupid flypasts and drop a few flowers and say we are honouring covid heros.
JithinR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 13:09   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
A look at what doctors are facing while performing duties in Srinagar. All our beloved Government has to do to bury this news is organize another one of their stupid flypasts and drop a few flowers and say we are honouring covid heros.
This clearly shows how this whole excercise is totally devoid of any logic. It is shocking that we have willingly given up our liberties and are now subject to being beaten at the whim of any illiterate power hungry policeman.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 16:59   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Cometh the next pandemic, you will be one those senior docs giving out sound advice coming from the expertise of also being in the trenches of this "war!"
Thanks a lot for the kind words and motivation You have always been encouraging me in various posts but really sorry as I have missed replying to some of them. Thanks again

+++

Learnt that Karnataka banned all sorts of transport - rail, road, air from Maharashtra and other hotspot states.Yet another instance of foolish knee--jerk response by the state government, but mostly could be due to public uproar. How long with this game continue ?? Six months later, you open the borders, again there would be a spike. Whatever made anyone think that there would be no new cases once the borders are opened !! This was very much anticipated. So how will a ban help and for how long ?? 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, 2 years ??
vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 17:03   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Good point. Me, along with my friend had ten bags of rice/dal/staples/salt/atta in combo and we went to distribute to the poor in a colony close by. Within seconds we were inundated with a swarm of people. Just gave away what we had and fleeted from the spot. Is there a more humane way to distribute limited supplies, I wonder (without losing a limb)
We always go through the local police. And only one of us friends do that at one time.
Old 29th May 2020, 17:45   #2187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
A look at what doctors are facing while performing duties in Srinagar.
We often elevate people to 'heroes' and 'warriors' because it's easier to do that with empty platitudes and shirk our actual responsibilities towards them, than look at the vulnerable humans underneath the labels and protect them.

Heroes and warriors don't need protection, right? They're the superhuman ones supposed to protect everyone else, right?

Plus the unsaid bit; heroes and warriors are 'expendable', because that's what they do right? Sacrifice for others? How many times have you seen and heard 'They died so we could live!' chest-thumping on specific days of the year, only to be forgotten as soon as the cameras turn off?

Our healthcare workers (or cops or soldiers or sanitation workers, list could go on) don't need labels, they need protection same as the rest of us. They don't have to die, anymore than any of us non-heroes and non-warriors have to, at least not until everything that can be done to protect them has actually been done.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th May 2020 at 17:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 19:37   #2188
Distinguished - BHPian

All of my doctor friends are losing patients who needed medical support like the chemotherapy patients and the dialysis patients and they are helpless. The sole focus on COVID and the requirement of testing before admitting any patient is resulting in deaths that are completely avoidable. On top of that, the risk of infection for doctors gets manifold due to the rising cases now and faulty PPE kits and masks. And yet they are working with all the precautions that they need.

One section that is under severe duress is the sanitation workers for whom nobody will take the cudgels on and yet they are on point. It was a monumental blunder to have announced the lockdown with a window of four hours and creating a humanitarian crisis (which mind you is resulting in aiding the greater number of covid positive cases now). What should have been done earlier is now being done and which has negated whatever little the lockdown achieved which was wrong in the first place itself. The so called term ‘COVID WARRIORS’ was a nice thing to hear but now all of them have been left to fend for themselves. The recent death of a senior doctor at AIIMS could have been avoided had the authorities thought about the pandemic in a rational manner and prepared for it with procurement of proper kits and masks. It’s when the danger knocked at the door, then only they woke up from the slumber.

Every now and then, I hear that folks in POLICE are getting infected, the CISF personnel’s getting infected every now and then and all of them are so called COVID WARRIORS. So, all those boosting of morale through utensil banging and fly pasts with flowers didn’t count much when all they needed was proper kits to fight. The stigma around COVID is such that everyone was almost frightened to death but then that stigma vanished here in Calcutta at least during the cyclone AMPHAN when people needed water and electricity to survive. All through this thread, I have found compassion and rationale and that gives me hope, a hope that all is still not lost and by the end of it all, we will have positive stories to share.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th May 2020 at 05:49. Reason: Please space out your paragraph for easy readability. Thank You!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 22:33   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Rajiv Bajaj is advocating/pushing for Homoeopathy in his latest interview with Barkha Dutt (Camphor1 Tabs, if I'm not mistaken). It's working and Pune front liners are safe due to this, he mentioned. Should we try that in other cities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I hear that folks in POLICE are getting infected, the CISF personnel’s getting infected every now and then and all of them are so called COVID WARRIORS. So, all those boosting of morale through utensil banging and fly pasts with flowers didn’t count much when all they needed was proper kits to fight.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 22:48   #2190
BHPian

More relaxations here in West Bengal. Religious places to be opened for public with a maximum of 10 persons at a time from 1st June, government and public offices to operate with 100% strength from 8th June. Attaching the pdf with key highlights.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed