Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:56   #2296
BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
There is going to be an explosion of cases in the coming 1 month. By June 30th, we will have almost 5 lakh cases at the current rate. With relaxations, the numbers will be more. Unless the govt acts swift, India will be doomed.
And I bet high, we already have 5 lakh cases in the country. I beg to differ, we may never be doomed because of Covid. But yes, we will definitely be doomed if we continue to focus "only" on Covid.
vivek95 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:58   #2297
AZT
BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

We tell him to go and report to the nearest COVID Hospital (found that Gurgaon has only One COVID Hospital currently!!) Not surprisingly, no one checks him and tell him to come back if his fever persists. I call SRL to get the private testing done but they need a prescription from a doctor before they can take a test. Fine, so he goes to a larger hospital, they write the Test and we send the documents to SRL. They reject, asking Doctors name, EMail, and Cell Number. He goes back to the hospital and they refuse to give details and instead give Landline numbers and a general Mail ID of their hospital. SRL does not accept that. Next Day, I spoke to that Hospital, asking the way out when they offer to organize a test at their own hospital, we pay fees and our person goes and wait for the mobile unit to turn up. After a long wait (3-4 Hours) they take the sample.

The Report came Positive yesterday.
Quote:
This time, we went with Medanta. They charge Rs 200 for registration, Rs 1000 for Doctor prescription & Rs 4500 for COVID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I hope they are not differentiating the poor and rich.
Slightly off topic but Private hospitalization for Covid is expensive, have heard this first hand. Many people will have to dip into their savings in case they have less insurance. Govt hospitals are already over run so that's disproportionately affecting the poor.
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:05   #2298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Private hospitalization for Covid is expensive, have heard this first hand. Govt hospitals are already over run so that's disproportionately affecting the poor.
The hospitalization comes later, they are not even testing people. Neither with Symptoms nor immediate contacts of COVID patients any longer.

Doctor prescription being mandatory is not understood properly, it's only here in India. So on top of the Rs 4500, one has to shell an extra 1000-1200 just to get that test.

We have Medical insurance for everyone but the problem is no Private hospitals are accepting COVID patients citing one or the other reason. Mostly excuses only.

Our numbers will be very high surely and as debated multiple times, our relatively young age of population or BCG vaccination or whatever but something is definitely helping us.

More than viral COVID, it's now the Economic- COVID that is taking a toll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think this depends on states.
Being poor country with limited resources, it has to show up in the way
Well, there is a difference between what's shown on TV or Paper Advertisements or the interviews vs actual ground reality. If someone has a better first-hand experience of other states than I will agree. It all looks rosy if we go with the official messages.

Yes, we are a poor country but can't we have simpler things? I am sure the costs of COVID tests must have come down from Rs 4500 that were announced 3 months ago, so the least they could have done was to reduce private test charges and the red tape associated to get the test done.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd June 2020 at 13:22.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:08   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
And I bet high, we already have 5 lakh cases in the country. I beg to differ, we may never be doomed because of Covid. But yes, we will definitely be doomed if we continue to focus "only" on Covid.
"Only" Covid? I don't think anyone is focusing only on Covid now. Children have classes online, exams are taking place, shops are open, but we still need to practice social distancing. Shouldn't be casual about things now.

To make matters worse, there's a cyclone in India's worst affected Covid hotspot. It will be a real challenge for the authorities now.

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 3rd June 2020 at 13:15.
Aditya_Bhp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:09   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I think the idea was that by not giving a long time between announcement and implementation, we would prevent the move of migrant population across the country. At least I think that was the rationale. To limit the spread, we need to limit movement - between states and between cities and the hinterland. And to be honest I think that the Prime Minister stressed on this several times - stay where you are. Also the message about landlords not to take rent etc.

In Italy the news of lockdown leaked a mere day before it was implemented and by then lakhs of people had moved across North and South. This became a big problem to control the spread and caused a second cluster.

So I can see the merits of a surprise lockdown.

rve.
I hear you, but I disagree that the administration in the states, who would have had to do the heavy lifting anyways, also needed to be kept in the dark. I doubt they were consulted. There was no plan in place for such displaced people. Heck, I don't think they even accounted for such a disaster!

The PM made a lot of appeals to many sections of the population, they seemed more like hollow sermons to me, without being backed by any concrete support.

The same joint task force which the government constituted rapped it on the knuckles saying the migrant labor issue was a disaster. Fellow forum member Abhi posted it on this thread. Reading the seven page pdf document was an eye opener.

I will leave several related things about this regime unsaid as it will turn into a political diatribe.

Sorry if I had not quoted your comments properly, typing from my mobile
hothatchaway is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:15   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The hospitalization comes later, they are not even testing people. Not with Symptoms nor immediate contacts of COVID patients any longer.

More than viral COVID, it's now the Economic- COVID that is taking a toll.
I think this depends on states. In Karnataka any SARI exhibiting patients are being tested. That should be the way. There are 2 lakh people in Bengaluru alone working on Covid control. Hence you see close to 400 or so cases for 1.2 crore population !

Being poor country with limited resources, it has to show up in the way we test, treat etc :(
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:22   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
"Only" Covid? I don't think anyone is focusing only on Covid now. Children have classes online, exams are taking place, shops are open, but we still need to practice social distancing. Shouldn't be casual about things now.

To make matters worse, there's a cyclone in India's worst affected Covid hotspot. It will be a real challenge for the authorities now.
I am in that Covid hotspot awaiting the cyclone. And here the focus is so inclined towards covid that you can take it as "only" on Covid. However, the real challenge would be after three more weeks when Dengue and Lepto cases will be on the rise in Mumbai.
vivek95 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:29   #2303
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
the problem is no Private hospitals are accepting COVID patients citing one or the other reason. Mostly excuses only.

Our numbers will be very high surely and as debated multiple times, our relatively young age of population or BCG vaccination or whatever but something is definitely helping us.
Definitely agree on both points. For the first one, even non covid patients are not being taken in, a friends father had kidney stone and he had to rush to 3 hospitals before one agreed to take him.
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:32   #2304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... They still do not have sufficient quality protective gears....

...And India has done little for the health care workers....

...The least we can do is to prevent further transmission of the disease by social distancing, washing hands and avoiding unnecessary travel, and protect the health care staff....
Lack of PPE is an absolute disaster, and it's a cop-out to just say generic stuff like 'Country X has done nothing for healthcare workers' and treat it like a general fact of life, when it was one aspect of the whole thing that actually was in our control. Intentionally removed country reference because this isn't specific to India alone, healthcare workers worldwide have similar stories.

The accountability for the lack of PPE rests specifically with our administrations at all levels (national to local). Plenty of time was bought to shore up supplies, and it's rather apparent we spent that calling them heroes and warriors and making grand but ultimately empty gestures, while doing little to equip them for the actual fight, which could literally be a life & death struggle, for some of their patients and themselves.

We can wash hands until the bones show, that still isn't a substitute for a properly equipped doctor on the frontlines. Both are important, but let's not try to create a cause-effect relationship and give those responsible for the situation a free pass.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 13:34   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we are a poor country but can't we have simpler things? I am sure the costs of COVID tests must have come down from Rs 4500 that were announced 3 months ago, so the least they could have done was to reduce private test charges and the red tape associated to get the test done.
I suppose this is how things work when there is lack of intent to server or to be not greedy. The 4500 is the upper cap put in by the government at the start of this pandemic. But private institutions being private (read 'For Profit') take this as licence to charge 4500 per test regardless of the actual cost to them going down over time.

The same has happened recently (few years back) when the government or some HC decided to cap the annual increase in school fees at 13%. Now this is good for good schools which provide good education + infra, who improve their quality every year in some way and where parents can afford the increment in fees.

But this gave license to every tom-dick-harry type of school to increase their annual fees by 13% every year without putting any effort in improving the facilities/quality of education. Hence you see increase in cost of education across the board.

The same will happen with these Covid-19 tests. They are flavor of the season for these pathology labs and they are earning big from this. Over time, this will become routine and be accepted. Unless there is an actual uprising by some group against it.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:02   #2306
BHPian

In Kolkata people are leading a normal life now. It's really strange to see people everywhere in the open. I'm particularly not used to seeing such a huge crowd. From 8th June more of the things are gonna be open.
momsonlydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:28   #2307
BHPian

Meanwhile, we have this analysis / retrospection - "Epidemiologist Who Triggered Worldwide Lockdowns Admits: Without Instituting Full Lockdown, Sweden Essentially Getting Same Effect"

Quote:
Professor Neil Ferguson, of Imperial College London, whose bleak projections of future deaths from COVID-19 influenced governments around the world to institute massive lockdowns, admitted of Sweden, which did not institute harsh lockdowns, “It is interesting that adopting a policy which is short of a full lockdown – they have closed secondary schools and universities and there is a significant amount of social distancing, but it’s not a full lockdown – they have got quite a long way to the same effect.”

Asked why 4,000 people had died in Sweden instead of the 90,000 that had been forecast, he answered, “I think it’s an interesting question. It’s clear there have been significant social distancing in Sweden. Our best estimate is that that has led to a reduction in the reproduction number to around 1.” He cautioned, “It’s clear that when you look at their mortality, they are not seeing the rate of decline most European countries are seeing.”

he acknowledged, “Lockdown is a very crude policy and what we’d like to do is have a much more targeted approach that does not have the same economic impacts.”
Source
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:34   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
In Kolkata people are leading a normal life now. It's really strange to see people everywhere in the open. I'm particularly not used to seeing such a huge crowd. From 8th June more of the things are gonna be open.
It was inevitable, the lockdown for all practical purposes is over but cases are on the rise. We have celebrated the stimulus also but there is only so much elation the common man can take. He will have to brave it outside to feed his family. Of course the PM's best wishes and good intentions are with him.

Looking at the bright side, many people may just 'forget' to worry about corona. That will hopefully just make it one more disease in nature's biological arsenal. If the irrational fear disappears as a result, the HC workers and infected patients may at least escape the society's scrutiny.
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:57   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most people have no idea about the seriousness of the matter....
Except on this thread, where the person commenting directly after you is a doctor on 'the frontlines' in India's covid 'hotspot' of Mumbai.

Quote:
Unless the govt acts swift, India will be doomed.
Yes. And when a government here finally acts swiftly, we will all applaud.
v1p3r is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:35   #2310
BHPian

I think India will also develop immunity just as the way Sweden has been going through. Wouldn't it be great if everyone is getting immune to it? Mild symptoms shall go away over time and people showing serious symptoms must be hospitalized?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed