Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 11:23   #2356
BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

One can live with fear and take the risk of stepping out provided one knows that in case of falling sick there will be adequate medical help with a bed availability etc.

Now days situation is such that if one goes out and falls sick then there is no hospital availability and only recourse is get well on your own or die.

With such odds why would anyone step out. Govt needs to on war footing create hospital capacity but is not doing so. People should realise we are in a war like situation and its not life as usual.
heydj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 11:43   #2357
BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Hey Vivek, since you are a doctor, you are exempted from testing and quarantine if coming to Karnataka. Don't know about the family though.

Attachment 2014979
Hello. Thanks for pointing this out. However I would want to get tested for the sake of my parents since I have closely encountered/ handled close to 160 Covid positive patients since last 2.5 months ( mostly in PPE except about 5-6 accidentally ). I live alone in Mumbai while parents are in Belgaum. Besides, you never know if the authorities at the MH--KA border go back and forth on their own guidelines. Better to get a test report in hand 12-24 hours prior to the journey.

Last edited by vivek95 : 9th June 2020 at 11:51. Reason: One more point
vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 11:46   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
So the lockdown unofficially ends tomorrow, with all offices opening (except for MH. Poor you)
Scenes in Kolkata yesterday with all offices opening. Traffic is haywire with lots of two wheelers & cycles on road. Adding to the already chaotic situation, it poured incessantly yesterday resulting in water logging at places.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-whatsapp-image-20200608-18.12.10.jpeg  

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-whatsapp-image-20200608-18.22.49.jpeg  

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-whatsapp-image-20200608-18.55.45.jpeg  

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-whatsapp-image-20200608-19.57.47.jpeg  

Fordlover88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 14:01   #2359
Senior - BHPian

After a gap of 70 days went to office for lab work. Felt totally safe. There were around 20% of employees in the campus.

I am in my forties but not paranoid about the situation. Our kind of work need presence of people in the lab. But many young people are not willing to rise to the occasion. They are either at their native places or straight away refusing to come. So companies are looking at major slippages in the execution.
poloman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 15:09   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
However I would want to get tested for the sake of my parents.

Better to get a test report in hand 12-24 hours prior to the journey.
You should most definitely get tested since you had also suspected previously that you could be positive. Might as well sanitize your luggage and car as much as possible. Nothing's worth risking our parents' health.

If Karnataka sticks to these guidelines for the duration of your visit, you might be able to avoid quarantine.

Best of luck.

PS: Just saw your car photos and noticed that there is no "DOCTOR" sticker anywhere. Would be safer to get it done before leaving. You might not be stopped at checkposts if they see that you are a doctor.

Last edited by samaspire : 9th June 2020 at 15:15.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 15:41   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
You should most definitely get tested since you had also suspected previously that you could be positive. Might as well sanitize your luggage and car as much as possible. Nothing's worth risking our parents' health.

If Karnataka sticks to these guidelines for the duration of your visit, you might be able to avoid quarantine.

Best of luck.

PS: Just saw your car photos and noticed that there is no "DOCTOR" sticker anywhere. Would be safer to get it done before leaving. You might not be stopped at checkposts if they see that you are a doctor.
Thank you. True that. It was around 2 weeks back that I had suspected myself to be positive and by this time I would have become negative as well. This is the logic behind but still an assumption, because I have never tested myself as I never developed any symptoms. Exactly for the sake of my parents, I would go ahead and run the PCR before taking up the journey.

By the way, long back when I was pasting a Doctor sticker on my car, I remember it was late night and this car shop in Mulund west, Mumbai had only a small sized sticker that I pasted it on the rear windshield near right top corner. Later on, never really took out time to replace it with a bigger sticker. Lazy me. In the pics, the sticker may not be obviously visible unless you zoom in closely and appreciate a red sticker lying around there
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 09:44   #2362
BANNED

Rajiv Bajaj lists four reasons why he can’t understand the logic & motive behind lockdown.

Early and hard lockdown did not limit the infections in India, says the MD of Bajaj Auto.
Quote:
You have been unequivocal in your view that we started the lockdown too early and it went on for too long. You called it a draconian lockdown. What do you think should have been done differently? We are looking at a large number of cases in India but relatively fewer deaths. Would you concede that it was because of a stringent lockdown that went on for so long?

You are asking me this question after I read in the papers today that our previous Chief Minister Fadnavis said that my view on this does not count because I am not an expert. He is right. I am not an expert. If I might take a shot back at him, I would say to him, yes, I am not an expert; which is why I do not think lockdown karke, thali baja ke, diya jala ke aur phool barsa ke corona dur hota hai (you can’t cure corona by banging plates, lighting diyas or showering flowers).

But more seriously, I do not necessarily have answers but I do have some thoughts or some questions. Number one, I do not understand why we look West when we should have looked East because we are an Asian country with Asian levels of immunity, temperature and demography. Young population perhaps has a resistance to thrombosis, which is important in the context of this virus.

So first off, I want the government to explain to me why is it that they look west? Two, I do not understand completely why those who are in the age group of 21 to 60, which is largely the working population, are healthy and robust kept at home and not allowed to go to work wearing a mask and keeping a distance. Why would they not be allowed to go to work? What is the data based on which we put everybody inside and virtually ground the wheels of the economy to a halt, I do not understand.

Three, I do not at this moment buy the argument that this early and hard lockdown has limited infections or deaths in India quite simply because look at what is happening in Japan. Japan is a greying society and to the best of my knowledge, there are fewer than thousand deaths in Japan.

Look at Thailand, a society in which “everybody mixes with everyone”. To the best of my knowledge, they have 100 or 200 deaths; maybe it is double digit, I am not sure. Look at a small country like Cambodia, Singapore etc. So my point is that most Asian countries have reported very low infections and very low deaths as compared to the West and I do not think it is the reflected glory of the Indian lockdown. It is because Asian countries or populations for whatever reason are behaving differently.

Finally my quarrel with the logic of the lockdown is that it was ostensibly done to flatten the curve so that the medical infrastructure could catch up. The math will never add up; of 1.4 billion people, if you take 10% who are elderly, 10% who are hypertensive, 10% who are diabetic and so on and so forth, you are talking of 300-400 million people.

There is no way to flatten that curve even if you were to lockdown for a year. You would need a capacity of 5-10 million beds, ventilators with nurses and doctors to be able to deal with that kind of a population. So the math just does not add up there. These are four fundamental reasons why I do not understand the motive behind the lockdown.
Source & full interview at Link
wheelguy is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 14:47   #2363
Distinguished - BHPian

Lockdown is over (nearly). This conversation should be too... Nearly, perhaps.

We need a new thread for the next phase...
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:23   #2364
BHPian

If say a Covid patient travels in your car and we leave it parked for 3 days. Do we still need to sanitize the car or will the virus if any have died by then?
Old 10th June 2020, 15:48   #2365
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajiv Bajaj thinks by making dramatic statements will make him Elon Musk of India, let me remind him this;

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-15430034551928.jpg

After years of development/thoughts he made a car/quadricycle which looked like this ^

Priced around INR 2.5L to get to a top speed of 70 km/h.

Hence his thoughts, dont matter !

Last edited by karan561 : 10th June 2020 at 15:50. Reason: Typo !
karan561 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:56   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Rajiv Bajaj thinks by making dramatic statements will make him Elon Musk of India, let me remind him this;

After years of development/thoughts he made a car/quadricycle which looked like this ^

Priced around INR 2.5L to get to a top speed of 70 km/h.

Hence his thoughts, dont matter !
What's wrong in expressing one's thought? Just because he made some mistake in the past doesn't make him anything less.

The highlighted point is just, unexpected from you! Come on, we have such discussions in this thread and does that mean they are worthy because they never made such leap and failed?
xcentrk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 16:09   #2367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
What's wrong in expressing one's thought? Just because he made some mistake in the past doesn't make him anything less.
I want Indian Automotive companies to prosper and make name globally to explore their true potential. Bajaj making a quadricycle was itself poor attempt for an unknown target audience & at that price was not right at all. Hence his thought process reference was taken.

Quote:
The highlighted point is just, unexpected from you!
Certain points highlighted / mocked were also not expected of him.

Quote:
Come on, we have such discussions in this thread and does that mean they are worthy because they never made such leap and failed?
Anyway, a lot can be said politically but ive kept it to cars hence posted the Qute reference. Not defending/attacking anymore, keep it peaceful !
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 16:40   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Rajiv Bajaj lists four reasons why he can’t understand the logic & motive behind lockdown.

Early and hard lockdown did not limit the infections in India, says the MD of Bajaj Auto.
Source & full interview at Link
Happy to see that there are still some business owners left (both small scale and large corporations) who still have the courage to be a dissenting voice against government policies.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th June 2020 at 05:36. Reason: Last line omitted to avoid any off-topic discussions. Thank you!
JithinR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 16:49   #2369
Senior - BHPian

People are saying lockdown was wrong or did not work now. If they were visionaries they should have said so when it was imposed.

Our wise men are always retrospectively active. They wait and then come out in droves. Its anybody's guess on what they would say if lockdown was not done and situation would have been bad. No one knew how it would behave and still not many things are clear.

Last edited by srishiva : 10th June 2020 at 16:51.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 16:55   #2370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
People are saying lockdown was wrong or did not work now. If they were visionaries they should have said so when it was imposed....
You may disagree with the guy, but he's been fairly consistent in his opinion of lockdown from the start.

This article is dated March 2020, and he isn't saying anything different now.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (32) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed