Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 19:12   #2386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Could it have been? Would it have been?

I think that a large number of people have come to take the virus seriously over the past few weeks. I think that, without the experience of lockdown, very few would have.
Little different is what I think, a large number of people have come to take the virus seriously because of the rise in the number of cases and the subsequent fear mongering by the media channels. Nobody looks at the recovery rate and that asymptomatic positive cases need not need hospitalisation. The hysteria around the virus is more responsible for the seriousness around it.

I remember when Dharavi in Mumbai got its first case and the subsequent fear that whole of India is doomed now and look at where Dharavi is standing now. During the cyclone Amphan here in Calcutta and the areas affected around, people forgot about virus while their life was at stake.

I see no difference now that the lockdown has been relaxed. The buses and autos and taxis are all running as usual with people just wearing a mask and even gloves by some of them. How is it different from the pre-lockdown days without the exception of masks and gloves ?

If the only intention of the lockdown was to let people know about the seriousness of the virus then sorry if I may say so, the price is way too high that we paid for the lockdown !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 23:56   #2387
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
... If the only intention of the lockdown was to let people know about the seriousness of the virus ...
That was not, and has not been, suggested.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:31   #2388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Very interesting to see how different the situation is in cities other than Bombay.

Our society still does not allow temporary help - forget maids who need to take lifts to come to homes, even drivers and car cleaners are not allowed. I have not visited anyone else’s home in 3 months - and don’t think I would do that for another month. I have not stepped into my office since March 18 either.

But given how cases are growing in Bombay, I don’t see the current situation changing for at least another month.

On the SOPs themselves, masks make sense - both residents and the staff / other visitors should wear them. Keeping windows open to ensure ventilation is important. But gloves are a waste - getting the staff to was hands regularly makes a lot more sense.
I was told that in one society in Gurgaon, they've converted their common area into a quarantine area. I quote a resident verbatim:

Quote:
Our society in fact is setting up our own quarantine Center in the club house! Have got few oxygen cylinders and other medical stuff - there are few doctors who stay in the society itself, and have taken up this initiative. I am hearing other societies are doing the same as well.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 06:15   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

Enough said I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-11thcartoon.jpeg  

kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 06:56   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Purpose of the lockdown was to prevent the explosion of the cases. There is no cure as of now. But there is a choice to be taken. Wildfire like spread. Or a slow gradual spread. The latter buys you some time. A time which can be used to ramp up the preparations at the hospitals, stock up on the machines and manpower. So that hospitals do not get overwhelmed when the cases start pouring in.

India is in a unique position. Our healthcare system fundamentals are weak. So how much they were able to prepare for the pandemic in the months lockdown bought them is questionable.

So in the hindsight, was lockdown worth it?
In my opinion yes. It prevented the macabre dance of death which would have been much worse compared to what we are seeing today.
download2live is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 10:31   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I was told that in one society in Gurgaon, they've converted their common area into a quarantine area. I quote a resident verbatim:
This is the recommendation of local MC I believe. In Thane here, TMC has recommended many societies to do so. All modern societies who have the space - say in a Club House. I know a few who have done so in Mumbai/Thane area and our society was also asked to do so. Our committee is yet to decide on the same due to associated costs and overheads involved.
Old 12th June 2020, 12:24   #2392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That was not, and has not been, suggested.
Okay, your post suggested otherwise. I probably misread your post then, my apologies.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 12th June 2020 at 12:40.
Old 12th June 2020, 12:38   #2393
BHPian

In our society in Bangalore, a few residents (who are prominently vocal) demand that they should be allowed to get the maids, cooks, drivers, nannies, et al. To that effect, the management committee instituted the clause that in case one's maid/ help etc. is found to be covid-19 positive, the costs of sanitization/ disinfection (as directed by BBMP) has to be borne by the respective homes instead of the whole society.
Obviously, this has gotten the 15% homes (who have called different helps) riled up.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 16:12   #2394
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
This is the recommendation of local MC I believe. In Thane here, TMC has recommended many societies to do so. All modern societies who have the space - say in a Club House. I know a few who have done so in Mumbai/Thane area and our society was also asked to do so. Our committee is yet to decide on the same due to associated costs and overheads involved.
This has not yet come up for discussion in my society meeting. But, if it does, I am voting it down. No question about it. Not because I would not like to help. But, because if someone in my house gets infected, I do not want them quarantined alone in our club house or anywhere else. They are staying with me and my family. That is actually the whole point of family. If we are to view people as a liability at their weakest, then we are no better than animals.

Also, if we settle on this narrative of using club houses as quarantine centers, then there is no looking back. Every common space - marriage halls, school auditoriums, playgrounds, etc. will go the quarantine route. And they will remain there permanently given that this virus is going to be around forever. We can completely forget coming back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
After a gap of 70 days went to office for lab work. Felt totally safe. There were around 20% of employees in the campus.

I am in my forties but not paranoid about the situation. Our kind of work need presence of people in the lab. But many young people are not willing to rise to the occasion. They are either at their native places or straight away refusing to come. So companies are looking at major slippages in the execution.
It is high time that the PM came online and told everyone to get back to work. The PM was the one who drilled the fear into people. Now, he has to own the aspect of driving the fear out. Delegating the latter part to Akshay Kumar is not going to work. Neither are hints by the PM that we should use the crisis as an opportunity to power the economy forward. Although that statement has the subtlety of being struck on the head with a blunt instrument, people are still not going to get it. So, it is time now for the top people in the administration to come out and say it directly - "Get back to work people. There is nothing to be afraid of."

On that note, I myself decided to take some constructive action. So, this went out last night.

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-sr1.png

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-sr4.png

In case this email has fallen through the cracks somehow, I am planning on personally paying a visit to the school to meet with the principal and the management. Amidst all the hue and cry about schools closing indefinitely, they deserve to know that there are people who don't subscribe to that school of thought (no pun intended).

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:19   #2395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post

On that note, I myself decided to take some constructive action. So, this went out last night.

In case this email has fallen through the cracks somehow, I am planning on personally paying a visit to the school to meet with the principal and the management. Amidst all the hue and cry about schools closing indefinitely, they deserve to know that there are people who don't subscribe to that school of thought (no pun intended).

Cheers
Is this advisable? My brother's kids in Singapore are also attending school, and the system adopted over there is that half the class is occupied, and children attend on a week-on week-off basis. SG people are happy with this arrangement because one, there is a high level of trust that the system will be enforced and that even the kids will follow it, and two, that any infringement will be expensive in many aspects.

I just do not have the same level of trust in our systems or my kid that all rules will be followed. As it is, schools are shut till june end, and situation will clarify by then to a greater extent. However, a 6 year old is still more susceptible so I will not be putting him in an environment where risk of exposure is manifold. In fact, most schools in Noida plan to maintain shutdown post june with the consensus of parents.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:26   #2396
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is this advisable?.... I just do not have the same level of trust in our systems or my kid that all rules will be followed.... However, a 6 year old is still more susceptible so I will not be putting him in an environment where risk of exposure is manifold..
Sir,

You have every right to decide on a course of action that is right for your child. If you feel that he or she should not be in school, then it is your right to make them stay home.

Similarly, as a fee-paying parent, I have every right to ask for resumption of school for my kids. I don’t want to be forced into a life that is determined by other people’s fear.

Parents who don’t want their kids in school need not send them. There is no compulsion.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 20:18   #2397
BHPian

Online school for my 5 year old has begun, and almost all parents of the school have unanimously decided that they are ok with online schools. We have been informed that the licences required for all the required apps/softwares have been purchased, and it's upto parents when they wish to send their child to school.

Completely agree that nothing can replace the "classroom" feel for the students, and even my child is terribly missing her friends, but nothing is more important than her safety and health for me. What if the school re opens, and somehow unfortunately the virus starts spreading inside the school? This anxiety will affect both the parents and students as well. The school will be left with no option but to close and revert back to online classes.
Old 12th June 2020, 20:42   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge but how are the countries that have been ahead of the curve (Japan, China, Korea and others) in managing the virus situation dealing with this topic?

Can we take a few notes from them and then think about the best approach for India? I just read about what SG is doing.

It will be good to know how China has restarted schools in Wuhan? I know they started higher grades only with strict Social Distancing earlier. Have they started now for all? What protocol have they followed/enforced?

How are these countries faring now w.r.t their schools situation?

Schools are the social life of our kids. They are very much needed and not only for textbook education part of it, as everyone here agrees with me. The sooner they manage to open them with calculated measures, the better it will be for everyone.

More than the kids missing on their friends, education or activities - I am concerned about the mental problems that this extended stay at home brings in for both - the parents as well as the kids. There are bad sides to this.
sunilch is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 20:53   #2399
BANNED

Quote:
...and it's upto parents when they wish to send their child to school.
Exactly. And we wish to send our children to school ASAP.

Quote:
What if the school re opens, and somehow unfortunately the virus starts spreading inside the school? ...
It is not a question of if the virus will spread. That the virus will spread is a certainty. The real question is, how dangerous is the virus? And the data we are seeing all over the world is that it really isn’t that dangerous. Number of infections do not mean anything. It is actually the number of fatalities that is important. Of course, people are free to feel differently. But this is how we feel.

If we truly want to protect our children, we should never send them out into the world at all. I mean forever. That is the only way to minimise risk.
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 20:54   #2400
BANNED

Quote:
Similarly, as a fee-paying parent, I have every right to ask for resumption of school for my kids.

Cheers
Paying fees enables you to avail the academic services provided by the school. How does that give any "rights"?

Cheers
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed