Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 10:39   #2551
BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

But I'm also wondering how many people are really afraid any more. All around me I see people going about their business.
Is it just people like us,.. (And of course the RWAs who are still ruling their tiny kingdoms are also afraid.)
I have the same observations. Poor people are more afraid that strict lockdown will be reimposed and they will lose their source of income. The rich can keep themselves isolated long or have the power to hold any events/weddings.

Only the middle class (RWA's are a subset of this) are still afraid.

---
I follow few Twitteratis in the US who write about (mostly) about Coronavirus. Alex Berenson is one you should definitely follow for a daily dose of #TeamReality. Amazon tried to censor his book on reality of Covid before Elon Musk had a twitter fight with Amazon and pressured them to release it.

He derisively calls such scared (typically White) middle-class Americans as "Neils and Karens"

Last edited by DigitalOne : 26th June 2020 at 10:54.
DigitalOne is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:41   #2552
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Alex Berenson is one you should definitely follow for a daily dose of #TeamReality.

He derisively calls such scared (typically White) middle-class Americans as "Neils and Karens"
Thanks for the suggestion, will certainly check it out. But I just want to clarify that I will not judge anyone as 'scared' for whatever personal measures they take to safeguard themselves against their perception of risk (real or imagined). Each of us is anyway doing that to the extent that we can afford to and based on our own perceptions. And this situation is so fluid and developing each week, that I'm no longer going to even pretend that we know enough to make final calls one way or the other. What is considered acceptable risk of exposure to me may not be to someone else. And that is fine.

The only thing I take issue with is arbitrary authorities (like RWAs) imposing their paranoia on others. (What the government does, I can take as much offense as I want, but what can I do really, they make the laws! )

But I do look forward to reading what you have suggested, thanks!
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:00   #2553
Senior - BHPian

In my area, the guys who were not scared (resisted using masks, had home parties, went into crowded places, not observed social distancing etc) have caught the virus. People who have used personal safeguards, (and who are mindful), are a relieved lot. I do agree on your point about authorities being a bit overcautious and scaring people
Quote:
I will not judge anyone as 'scared' for whatever personal measures they take to safeguard themselves against their perception of risk (real or imagined). Each of us is anyway doing that to the extent that we can afford to and based on our own perceptions. And this situation is so fluid and developing each week, that I'm no longer going to even pretend that we know enough to make final calls one way or the other. What is considered acceptable risk of exposure to me may not be to someone else. And that is fine.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:04   #2554
BHPian

Hey guys, how is the situation in terms of lockdown on highways, is it safe to drive from Bangalore to Delhi right now?
Old 26th June 2020, 14:14   #2555
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, that's quite a change in our KA government's stance:

"To emphasise that lockdown is not the answer Ashoka (minister now charge for BLR covid management) had this to ask: “Is there a guarantee that the virus will be eliminated after a week or a month’s lockdown?” Ashoka said only those sections of people who are economically sound are demanding a lockdown. The poor and daily wagers are pleading that another shutdown not be declared, he said."

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/76633101.cms

Personally, I am happy because this is my opinion too about further nation-wide, city-wide lockdowns being ineffective (just my opinion, I could be wrong). But I wonder if the government changed their stance because of what they saw during the lockdown or because the opposition is now demanding a lockdown?! Anyway, we'll never know. And there is no guarantee they will stick to this policy anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Hey guys, how is the situation in terms of lockdown on highways, is it safe to drive from Bangalore to Delhi right now?
Chaudharysaab, I really wish I knew and could give you some useful pointers. Among all of us arguing philosophical issues, you have asked a practical question and deserve a helpful answer! I have driven across 3 districts within the state over the past two weeks without any hassles, but I don't know about the inter-state situation. I know someone who drove back from Coimbatore yesterday with an e pass and without any hassles. I think you will just have to ask for information about each sector/stage in your journey in the 'Route/Travel Queries' section. Good luck with your journey!

Last edited by am1m : 26th June 2020 at 14:15.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 15:10   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that's quite a change in our KA government's stance:
To be fair, KA government has been proactive in removing lockdown restrictions since April itself.

Below news quotes are dated April 24th.

Quote:
In furthering relaxation of
COVID-19 lockdown norms to revive the state's economy, the
Karnataka government on Friday allowed rural industries to
start its operations in nine coronavirus free districts.
Quote:
Partial relaxation of lockdown had come in to effect
in Karnataka since Thursday.

On Wednesday the government had announced that IT
and IT enabled services have been allowed to operate with
essential minimum staff and also certain construction
activities, manufacturing of packaging materials, courier
services, among others were given relaxation.

Activities that have already been permitted include-
construction of roads, irrigation projects, buildings and all
kinds of industrial projects, including MSMEs, in rural areas
and all kinds of projects in industrial estates, where workers
are available on site and no one is required to be brought in
from outside.
Two intrastate trains have also been running since more than a month
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:05   #2557
BHPian

I'm wondering if we could've implemented different strategies in different states - some could have followed Brazil, others USA, and yet others New Zealand. Kerala would have done better with a New Zealand type strategy, I'm guessing. This experiment could have set the direction for future pandemics.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 17:07   #2558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Unless absolutely necessary, you may avoid.

However, travel itself is safe while the challenges remain - Finding places to stop by to eat and break, checking into a hotel, managing entry into states and of course following the protocols once you reach destination.

Keeping all this in mind, you may decide to drive depending on your urgency or hold back.

My cousin was driven from Indore to Karnataka (Belur) last month in a hired Innova. His experience was less than eventful except that he found it difficult to manage finding places to eat all the way. Considering today that relaxations are more compared to last month, you may be luckier.

If possible, take a flight. My mother in law was stuck here in Bangalore and she flew to Gujarat exactly 3 weeks before. We wanted to drive and drop her but avoided mainly because after my return I may have had to get into institutional quarantine as per protocols then. By god's grace, with all the safety precautions in place and what she followed, she is healthy as of today and its the 21st day since she flew. She is 67 Years old.

So, I would like to conclude by saying if driving is the only choice and you have made up your mind, be very well prepared and drive with an additional driver and preferably with no overnight stops at hotels on the way and sleep in the car itself at a safer place. Needless to say, carry enough back-up for food to last for 3 days at least (considering any untoward delays).

Also, the following threads should throw some more light on recent experiences:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...umbai-how.html (Stuck in West Bengal, need to get home in Mumbai. How?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...trictions.html (Interstate travel with the Covid-19 restrictions)

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th June 2020 at 17:09.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 16:30   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Maharashtra govt extends lockdown till 31 July
All private offices can operate with up to 10% strength and govt offices with up to 15% strength
Details here
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 17:31   #2560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maharashtra govt extends lockdown till 31 July
Cliff hanger here in Tamil Nadu.
Old 29th June 2020, 19:50   #2561
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this forward, very well written.

Quote:
SNEAKY LITTLE NAUGHTY VIRUS THIS CORONA...

This Corona Virus is the strangest virus I've ever heard of. It's very dangerous the way it spreads.

It is so mysterious the way it lurks in schools, but then dies at grocery stores.

It’s politically active. It can spread when buying clothes at the malls, watching movies in a multiplex, but does not harm a soul during a mass staged protest. Some lives matter more you see.

It is non-alcoholic. It can't spread when you are buying beer or your spirits.

It lives for two days on Amazon boxes and you must wait 48 hours to touch them, but it can't survive on takeaway coffee cups, so enjoying a hot cup of Starbucks coffee is completely safe, believe me.

It is the most curious thing, how it lives on footballs, bars, even loo seats, but dies at bakery shops. Maybe it is the aroma of warm baked bread.

It is spread by hair stylists, dog groomers and gyms, but not by bank tellers, cashiers and fast food workers.

It's so smart. It won’t bother three people in a car, but it knows when the 4th person shows up, so be careful if that’s you. What’s more, it won’t harm people in odd number cars on odd number dates and vice versa for even days and car numbers.

It will join a marriage party celebration of 50 people and be on its best behaviour, but if the number increases to 51, it becomes a party pooper. Watch out, all hell will break loose.

It even knows what you want v/s what you need. If you want a massage or your nails done it is very actively on the prowl and not even a mask can stop it, but if you need a plumber or an air-conditioning, fridge, television, car mechanic, it is weak and a mask will keep it totally away.

It also seems to be most dangerous after 6 pm so businesses must start to close before the virus comes out and wreaks havoc upon the population.

Sneaky LITTLE Naughty Virus this Corona...

P.s. a sarcastic salute to stupidity of government and the people. Double talk and hypocrisy will never die as long as mankind is alive. Even Corona can't kill it.

- Copied and pasted.
AtheK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 20:08   #2562
Senior - BHPian

Lockdown in Thane for 10 days? What does it mean? Can someone from Mumbai City (Kandivali) not be able to travel to Thane?
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 20:15   #2563
BHPian

Has anyone noticed this:
https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...demic/2007221/

Seems like a bizaare knee jerk rule. Do the police have the legal authority to impose such restrictions? How much time and manpower will be wasted on this? How do they expect people to keep going to their jobs which is allowed when they will end up killing consumption? When there are no buyers, the jobs will disappear. There are also all kinds of practical issues. What if I need to buy a washing machine or a laptop and the shop is 5 kms away? How will I prove where I live? What if my licence is from a different address? Seems like we are heading back to days of irrational lockdowns as others will follow suit.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 20:18   #2564
BHPian

We need a new poll. With a lottery. Guess how long this lockdown will last. I am guessing it will last in some form or another, till a vaccine is available widely. Prize? You will be alive.
Ultimate unlock coming 17th March 2026.
mvadg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 20:51   #2565
BHPian

Assam govt imposed 14 day strict lockdown from today. Not even groceries will be open or supplied. On friday evening it was announced.

Govt even had the nerve to tell people to stock up things for the next 14 days, not even thinking just how do ordinary people manage without much income these days. There isn't any govt plan to distribute food stuff or groceries during this period.

Everyone rushed to buy items. It caused panic buying and throwing social distancing out of the window. As expected the traders squeezed the supply, hoarding and made a killing by selling at exorbitant prices.

Heard potato was selling near about Rs 100 per kg.
Joke was that these were also sold as price per piece.

One taxi driver summed it up like this. After more than 2 months of lockdown services were opened, but there were hardly any customers for my business. And now this strict lockdown again.
fordday is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks