Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2020, 20:24   #1681
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
You have not hit the nail on the head. You have hammered it inside the head!.

I know it is easy to be wiser after the event or make decisions on hindsight. But still a complete shutdown of the entire country of 1.3 billion people with completely diverse backgrounds, is something I can never digest.
China, Taiwan, Singapore and other South-East Asian countries had the benefit of going thru SARS, H1N1 epidemics and were better prepared to handle. Covid-19 is the real epidemic India had to face in modern times. There would be a dedicated team in Indian Govt who would study best practices and plan on adopting to Indian conditions. This situation was trial by fire for them. Unfortunately, they took a safe option in lockdown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
The lockdown itself is about forcing people to not earn a livelihood, all in the name of the common good.
As I said, the immigrants are in the blindspot of the Govts and they simply can't see them and have little idea on what to do with them . This is evident from - No details on migrant labourers, despite circular asking for it, shows RTI
Daily wage workers were at the mercy of food giveaways, food queues. They would rather earn & eat than hold their hand for food (workers who were traveling back from cities told this to reporters on TV and that they are not coming back).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
India Covid-19 positive cases crosses 50,000. Just look at how the cases has increased, and we wanted to contain the virus by lockdown. How did the lockdown help, I can’t understand the arguments.
With lockdown, the Govt had hoped for getting the corona cases count in the country close to zero. When that didn't happen in Lockdown 1.0, it was extended as Lockdown 2.0. There is some data missing and the Govt is not able to comprehend on the spread, in spite of the lockdowns.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 20:48   #1682
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
India Covid-19 positive cases crosses 50,000.

10000 13th April
20000 21st April
30000 28th April
40000 3rd May
50000 6th May
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
^^ Meanwhile. US cases are like this

March 19 10000
March 23 30000
March 26 68000
March 28 85000
March 30 122000
April 3 210000
Perhaps death rates makes more sense?

India
April 4 - 99
April 9 - 227
April 18 - 521
April 28 - 1008
May 5 - 1693

A bit above 9 days to double

US
March 16 - 95
March 19 - 239
March 22 - 509
March 24 - 957
March 26 - 1614

Around 2.5 days to double

The growth seems to be linear at the corresponding juncture (100 to 2000) in both countries but with different slope. Let us hope that the India curve will flatten faster...
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 20:48   #1683
BANNED

I’m posting the latest doubling time graph. Now the Lockdown is lifted for practical purposes, doubling time should remain same or shorten as per proponents of lockdown. If the doubling time remains the same, we will have 65 million cases by September 12, 1000 million by December 6 (India’s population is 1300 million) and the virus will have no further people left to double. Let’s wait and see what happens if you still believe in doubling time.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-faf9ac80253946f690d5e44c236d3c27.jpeg  

Last edited by The Rationalist : 6th May 2020 at 20:50.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 21:21   #1684
Senior - BHPian

I strongly believe, and the data from many countries shows that the COVID-19 virus does not have infinite lifeline, and its life does not depend on the % of population infected.

The infection rate (plotted as number of new cases per day vs time) is well known to show a Gaussian Bell curve.

Its only a matter of finding the peak. Unfortunately, the peak still does not seem to have been achieved by India yet.

How i wish the peak was around 2500 new cases per day and then the graph goes down.
DCEite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 23:06   #1685
BANNED

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/c...i/20200506.htm

Public Transport to resume soon, says Gadkari
Old 6th May 2020, 23:14   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Just want to understand the rationale behind your thought. Do you not want Mumbai to be in red zone?
Apologies, maybe I wasn't clear. I am not advocating that Mumbai be re-zoned. That was merely an example. All I was implying that the healthcare capacity of the district should be taken into account while zoning. Different places can handle different loads of infection. This is with an assumption that the virus is here to stay for a long time.
TheCatalyst is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 01:44   #1687
BANNED

Some reading and a couple of videos:
  1. The lockdown could lead to some 6.3 million new TB cases.

2. Laurie Garret is one of the most clear eyed journalists that I have listened to. I have watched her coverage in the past and have also listened to a couple of her Ted talks. But, the utopian situation that she describes here for us to get a vaccine really is eye-opening.

3. For those of us who are beating down on our fellow Indians for being an inconsiderate and indisciplined lot, here are two videos of what is happening in Atlanta and in NYC. Particularly, listen to what Dr. Fauci says (in the second video) about his role being only about giving the right advise, and after that leaving it to people to follow or not follow. Bottom line - people will be people. Indians are no worse than people from any other nationality.
The only way we are beating this virus is if we allow for some sort of herd immunity. Suppressing 100% of the population and sinking living economies indefinitely to try and prevent fatalities that will clearly be a small portion of the world population will only lead to large scale disaster. No question about that at all.

For what it's worth, I think I will look for a job abroad at the first opportunity. Then, during the next pandemic, I can advocate for a punishing lockdowns in India while I myself enjoy a relatively permissive atmosphere with my running trails and parks and open roads. With my potential job abroad, I can always send money to my aged parents and make sure that their needs are met thanks to e-commerce and e-service facilities. I don't have to worry about job losses in India because I would not be directly affected. In fact, there is even an off-chance that I could benefit if companies decide to on-shore jobs. So, all in all, I can eschew all conflict and safely demand a harsh and repressive lockdown in India that throws all civil rights out the window. Because hey, the masses will only understand the language of force in a country like India where everyone is indisciplined and where no one has any social responsibility. So indefinite lockdown it has to be. So what if large parts of Indian society have to be flushed down the toilet. No price is too big for me to protect my aged parents. That's how I am going to roll in the future.

P. S.
Say what you want about the man; but President Trump is the only world leader who has chosen to be blunt and has spoken the brutal truth about this virus. He has always been a leader who has never tried to win over his critics, or even the undecideds. For that matter, he doesn't give a rat's backside what anyone thinks of him. He will say what he thinks even if it means contradicting himself later. I dare say that that is the exact quality that got him elected in the first place.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th May 2020 at 13:41. Reason: Removed the last bit (and subsequent responses) which can cause off-topic discussions
mohansrides is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 03:53   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Say what you want about the man; but President Trump is the only world leader...
I mean, if we're setting Trump and his policies as an example to follow, I suppose we might as well drink some disinfectant and call it a day!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 05:51   #1689
Distinguished - BHPian

Standard Operating Procedure for those reaching Karnataka from other states as well as those arriving from International countries :

For International arrivals :

5_6163685189709988332.pdf

For interstate arrivals :

5_6165936989523673410.pdf
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 11:01   #1690
BHPian

Will the people supporting lock down support this move as well?

https://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.c...w/75588517.cms

Plan of action is kill people of hunger so that it doesn't count as a Covid death. I am completely shocked at the insensitivity of this move without caring a damn about the ground reality. On one hand, tell everyone not to hoard as enough essentials are available and on the other hand close down essential shops.

I am honestly worried for the future of India if this is the approach of decision makers.
praveen789 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 11:16   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Will the people supporting lock down support this move as well?

Plan of action is kill people of hunger so that it doesn't count as a Covid death. I am completely shocked at the insensitivity of this move without caring a damn about the ground reality. On one hand, tell everyone not to hoard as enough essentials are available and on the other hand close down essential shops.

I am honestly worried for the future of India if this is the approach of decision makers.
Oh come on sir. You need to be able to identify patterns. This has already happened before.

Once dissent against this move increases the authorities will come out with an explanation that says that since people were buying groceries these past days everyone has enough to survive for 7 days.

As for Team-BHP there are members who will say the same thing. In fact I remember reading it.

That is why when the government said don't hoard food and no need for masks I immediately got a few masks and food for a month. I will continue to do so since this red, orange, green zone definition can quickly change without us even knowing about it.
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 11:30   #1692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I mean, if we're setting Trump and his policies as an example to follow, I suppose we might as well drink some disinfectant and call it a day!
It will be unfair to highlight a particular incident and we all know how Bosses can behave certain times. We can all laugh and feel sorry for his IQ or whatever but the fact is that he is President of the USA and who knows may get elected again.

I don’t want to mention some more stupid things happening here as it will become a political thread but I strongly support people who have shown courage to face this disease.

There have been enough debates so let’s just leave commenting on things we don’t like or are presented as an alternative.

We should keep this thread for updating current information as known best to anyone and maintain respect to views of other members as in the other threads.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th May 2020 at 11:38.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 11:38   #1693
BHPian

Take a look at Sweden which refused to lock down and the govt there simply put the onus on its citizens to behave responsibly. A causal look at its stats reveal that in spite of the initial surge in death toll , it appears to have flattened out. Its not possible to keep everything shut down indefinitely. If you have a rat in the house, set a trap, don't burn down the house.
srini1785 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 12:06   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
...govt there simply put the onus on its citizens to behave responsibly...
You really would like to compare Sweden with India, especially Swedish population with Indian population?
India is 7 times the size of Sweden while having 13 times its population, but that's not all. You are comparing a 99% literate country with 74% one; one even where educated and literate are no better than an illiterate one. And I'm not even going in to the money matters.
I'm all for opening the economy and ending the lockdown but lets not delude ourselves by thinking we can compare ourselves to Sweden, Singapore, Hong Kong, Monaco, Luxembourg, etc etc etc. models.
We had a good run/ fortune containing this to whatever levels we did by enforcing the lockdown. Yes, we can't have this forever and we'll have the economy/ country open soon but be prepared to bear the brunt of this disease unless some vaccine/ herd immunity comes up.
Sweden, culturally too, pretty much follows social distancing in their normal course of life.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 12:12   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post

Plan of action is kill people of hunger so that it doesn't count as a Covid death. I am completely shocked at the insensitivity of this move without caring a damn about the ground reality.
This is unbelievable. How will the people survive there?

During this whole lockdown period I never bought anything more than normal, just thinking that everybody gets their share.
If these harsh steps are copied by other state govt, we are in for some serious trouble.

This could lead to riots.
fordday is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks