Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2020, 10:42   #1711
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

I hope this lockdown period has been used wisely in ramping up the infrastructure. Because other than in a few states, there has not been any dip in the rate of increase of cases. No flattening of curve has happened. It would be great to have some transparency on what was accomplished during this lockdown in terms of infrastructure.

A press conference to explain and answer questions is the need of the hour. The government owes it to the citizens after putting them through so many restrictions. Every nation's head is running daily briefings and answering questions from press. What have we done not to deserve it after going through so many restrictions ?
padmrajravi is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 10:57   #1712
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I hope this lockdown period has been used wisely in ramping up the infrastructure. Because other than in a few states, there has not been any dip in the rate of increase of cases. No flattening of curve has happened. It would be great to have some transparency on what was accomplished during this lockdown in terms of infrastructure.
OK, now the blame from imposition of lock down and less testing to inability to flatten the curve. It is the other way around 4 states out of 28 accounts for 70% of cases in the country. So 24 states are somewhat able to control the outbreak.

Health is fully a state subject. Now that explains difference in the number of cases in different states. Some states like Kerala,Goa and Karnataka implemented the guidelines strictly and were able to control the spread. States like MH,GJ, DL and TN took lopsided steps and are struggling now.

Just had a look at the poll. It is astonishing that the support for lock down is even now after lagging widely during initial periods.

Last edited by poloman : 8th May 2020 at 10:59.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 10:58   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Alarming!
The numbers are shooting up in MH, DL, GJ, TN
We are inching towards China's official numbers and will be there in a week's time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Now since those businesses were shut down during the lockdown, are we looking at shortages in next 2 months?
Salt shortage ahead? Manufacturers predict a shortfall as lockdown halts production - Hoping this is not the sign of things ahead.
msdivy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:05   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope this lockdown period has been used wisely in ramping up the infrastructure.
I do not think anything would have been done.

The administration is busy with handling COVID-19, at least that is what it looks like. Plus the drying up fund reserves.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:06   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
OK, now the blame from imposition of lock down and less testing to inability to flatten the curve. It is the other way around 4 states out of 28 accounts for 70% of cases in the country. So 24 states are somewhat able to control the outbreak.
No sir. I was not blaming the imposition of lockdown. I felt the lockdown was inevitable when we started. But the question is about transparency. The government should now release data on everything that was accomplished during the lockdown including the infrastructure ramp up. Otherwise, as citizens, we have every right to question the effectiveness of lockdown.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 8th May 2020 at 11:08.
padmrajravi is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:35   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
A press conference to explain and answer questions is the need of the hour. The government owes it to the citizens after putting them through so many restrictions. Every nation's head is running daily briefings and answering questions from press. What have we done not to deserve it after going through so many restrictions ?
The current government will not give any justification/clarification to the people looking at the past. They big guns only come out to the press to announce the knee jerk decisions they have made. As rightly said by the gentleman in the tweet mentioned above the government will do everything but come out in the open to answer to the people of what was actually achieved. They turn a blind eye after the initial announcement is made and will never speak about the way they have failed miserably. But I must appreciate their efforts of putting up major shows like banging thalis , lighting diyas. I was eagerly waiting for the third show but sadly nothing happened !
hareshjethwani is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:35   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
I hope this lockdown period has been used wisely in ramping up the infrastructure.
Without a vaccine or sure shot medicine available, The lockdown will obviously act as a pause on the spread, the idea must be to ramp up the state machinery for the expected spike in number of cases.

Quote:

Health is fully a state subject. Now that explains difference in the number of cases in different states. Some states like Kerala,Goa and Karnataka implemented the guidelines strictly and were able to control the spread. States like MH,GJ, DL and TN took lopsided steps and are struggling now.

Just had a look at the poll. It is astonishing that the support for lock down is even now after lagging widely during initial periods.
What were the lopsided steps, What did they do wrong compared to others?
Or are you concluding from the numbers ?

AFAIK Mumbai & Delhi have most busy International Airports in India and very densely populated areas which are very difficult to manage in such situations. Mumbai has the largest slum in the country.

Also the amount of testing being done in every state has varied hugely. So as per Maharashtra state reports 70% are asymptomatic and part of the number. If I compare them with the testing done in other other states, the numbers are quite low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I do not think anything would have been done.

The administration is busy with handling COVID-19, at least that is what it looks like. Plus the drying up fund reserves.
I stay in Mumbai and have been tracking the State Government's efforts, The CM announced that government has tried to create corona centers or hospitals at auditoriums or similar large places, They have trained temporary health service officials, invited people with medical background to contribute.

Some Examples - NSCI Worli
a-welcome-move-nsci-dome-in-mumbai-converted-into-a-special-observation-zone-with-300-beds-for-covid-19-patients

BKC
mumbai-to-get-a-wuhan-type-hospital-in-bkc-

Thane
thane-temporary-1000-bed-hospital-3-weeks

I am sure, same is the case with other states as well, the whole purpose of the lockdown is to stop the spread and be better prepared.

If not, I am missing some point here.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 8th May 2020 at 11:53. Reason: grammer
Slick is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:36   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Just a correction: Indian population is 130 times that of Sweden, not 13 times. Sweden has a population of 10 million (one crore) while India is 1300 million or 1.3 billion (130 crores).
Thanks, wish I could correct it.

PS: While we all were talking about Swedish model, here are a few articles too (I still maintain we can't emulate a very homogeneous, rich, a literate/ sensible Swedish population)
1. Sweden sees higher coronavirus death rate than US after refusing lockdown
2. Herd-immunity gamble set to haunt Sweden as country nears 'horrifying' 3,000 deaths from coronavirus
3. The US and Sweden may have approached the coronavirus differently, but they could both end up with high death rates

tl;dr
Lockdown may or may not work, just like hoping for herd immunity may or may not work. We are all walking blind folks
ValarMorghulis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:47   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Unfortunately, I agree with you. Lockdowns are not going anywhere because not a single political leader barring President Trump is willing to accept Covid casualties. See the thing is that..

[list=1][*]Covid numbers are being tracked diligently by multiple agencies with a fair level of accuracy and so cannot be easily disputed. In an election year these numbers could be used by the opposition parties to shape public opinion if the government had chosen to use less restrictive lockdowns.

Result? Lockdown it is.
You have put it perfectly! It is very unfortunate that politics is being played even in times of such a calamity.

Quote:
How can you say press briefings are not happening? There were so many television appearances by someone wearing bespoke scarfs and advising to celebrate diwali and increase noise pollution? or YouTube live sessions by CMs telling migrants that we will take care of them and then bundling them away in trains? Luckily all those gimmicks have stopped since they realised people are finally catching on to these illogical diversion techniques.

Oh - you mean more relevant information being provided such as how medical infra is being built or what is the long term plan? The challenge there will be what to tell if there is nothing being done on those ground?
praveen789 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:48   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No sir. I was not blaming the imposition of lockdown. I felt the lockdown was inevitable when we started. But the question is about transparency. The government should now release data on everything that was accomplished during the lockdown including the infrastructure ramp up. Otherwise, as citizens, we have every right to question the effectiveness of lockdown.
Not sure what data you are looking for. The central health ministry is giving daily updates on the situation. The infrastructure ramp data is also available with most states since central govt has only advisory role in health affairs. Testing has gone up. Now the results are for everyone to see.
Some states are able to control the spread, some not. Questioning is fine,but finding fault always is not
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:05   #1721
BANNED

Quote:

To be quite honest, I personally don’t blame the central government for not testing enough, or for not flattening the curve, or any such nonsense.** In fact, given the circumstances, I think that they have been adequately good at those things, and on a relative scale, the government actually appears to be getting better at the medical response aspect of this crisis.

But I do blame the government for killing the economy and for flushing people’s lives down the drain. Unfortunately, they seem to be quite good at that too; and astonishingly, they seem to be getting better at that on a daily basis.

** With this particular pathogen, I don’t believe that testing is even the right thing to do; and there definitely is no flattening the curve. The curve that we see only deals with the cases that have been detected so far. As we speak, there are likely N times more positives than what has been detected through testing. We just don’t see about the invisible cases until they show up in some contact tracing line.

This virus will play itself out in the population until it limits itself at some point. With a lockdown, we are only stretching that time out and piling on the agony.

Last edited by mohansrides : 8th May 2020 at 12:30.
mohansrides is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:17   #1722
BANNED

For all those who blame Maharashtra, Delhi, Tamilnadu and Gujrat see the graph on May 2. Please don’t compare Kerala to any state for health care. I’m a Keralite born and brought up in Kerala, currently working in Maharashtra. What Kerala achieved is not because of short term measures, it’s because of at least 3-4 decades of progressive measures and also because a large diaspora who wanted better healthcare for their family like in places they worked. It will take at least another decade for any state to match that levels even if the administration decides to.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-01b7668e22fe41ff8f416b93e787a347.jpeg  

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-c8954c598f604ec7acdeeb5e0cd93c22.jpeg  

The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:27   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what data you are looking for. The central health ministry is giving daily updates on the situation. The infrastructure ramp data is also available with most states since central govt has only advisory role in health affairs. Testing has gone up. Now the results are for everyone to see.
Some states are able to control the spread, some not. Questioning is fine,but finding fault always is not
The main updated information which I am not able to find anywhere is how many more beds are being added. I understand that clubs, hotels, etc are being converted to temporary hospitals but there is no info of how many patients it can handle and more importantly how many patients it currently has.

From an individual point of view, one would want to know what is the situation of the area one is living in and how is the medical infra availability.

This is what I had suggested in the Aarogya Setu app discussion as well that all the hospitals and temp arrangements should update the current status real time and reflect it in the app so that everyone is aware where to go to in case they are detected positive. Without that transparency, the whole approach seems incomplete. You are talking about testing results - but what happens after that?
praveen789 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:33   #1724
Senior - BHPian

The perfect game to play in these difficult times.

http://covid.xrlabs.cloud/que

Do have a gander. It will be well worth your time.
v1p3r is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:36   #1725
BHPian

Actually, I feel very optimistic largely on the way the center and states have coordinated during this crisis. Other than the WB disagreement I can't recall any other.

Personally, I would be more interested in what is happening in my city, or even my area because that's what directly affects me. Some of the states I follow closely (South, MH, and Delhi) have also been impressive in the amount of information/data they share on a daily basis either on twitter or via press conferences.

The regular 4 PM press conference by the health ministry is pretty much thorough for the overall country-wide trends.

I don't expect the PM to do a daily briefing. Every comment of the PM will be analysed 24/7. It will just lead to distractions and political shenanigans like what happened in the US (Trump's comment about injecting UV).
DigitalOne is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed