Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2020, 12:37   #1726
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
What we've been saying all along : Article
Every Tom, Dick and Harry in a suit sitting in his air conditioned office 10000 miles away has started voicing their opinion on matters being handled in India. While I appreciate he is a professor and all, I think he needs to concentrate on what is happening in the US of A rather that what is happening in India. Apart from folks like us who quote these guys to support their individual thoughts, I don't think anyone else will even care what he says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
While it's true that we are still lagging in world class Healthcare, his tweet seems to be too harsh. Lockdown 1 probably helped people settle down and understand the gravity of the situation.
Thanks. It has become a trend nowadays to pile on criticism unnecessarily instead of actually putting across any solutions. This guy is no different and his tweet will have no effect rather than to take up space on Twitter and now on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
This virus will play itself out in the population until it limits itself at some point. With a lockdown, we are only stretching that time out and piling on the agony.
That stretching the time is what is meant by flattening the curve. So not sure what you are trying to put across.

Last edited by racer_ash : 8th May 2020 at 12:40.
racer_ash is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:46   #1727
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Actually, I feel very optimistic largely on the way the center and states have coordinated during this crisis. Other than the WB disagreement I can't recall any other....
If you are optimistic because of so many press outings and tweets which make you think this pandemic situation is being handled well then you are not at all aware of the ground reality. Except for a few states who have taken upon themselves to handle it as well as they can, the whole pandemic has been mishandled from the start. I am not even going to talk about relief to businesses as that should not be the first priority but how migrant labors and poor people in real need are being handled shows what is happening. The govt (both state and centre) has crores to spend when they get something in return either through corruption or through taxing the public but in a dire situation like this they don't have funds to spare.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th May 2020 at 00:14. Reason: Trimmed quote.
AnandB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:54   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
It has become a trend nowadays to pile on criticism unnecessarily instead of actually putting across any solutions.
The problem has to be solved by the person who is assigned the problem. And that person is selected for the job based on the skills, expertise & capability. That person has authority over the data and the decisions are based on that information extracted from that data. This data is not available to anybody else. Even if I have the best solution, what gets implemented is what is decided by the authoritative person.

What is being discussed here is the current solution being implemented is not solving the problem.
msdivy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:56   #1729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
The perfect game to play in these difficult times.

http://covid.xrlabs.cloud/que

Do have a gander. It will be well worth your time.
Went homeless once. Survived the second time.

The questions are indeed thought provoking of what is actually happening to the less than privileged on the ground.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:04   #1730
Senior - BHPian

It is now very easy to type essays criticizing the government after realizing through experience that this virus isn't as dreadful as it was portrayed:

''the Chinese are dropping dead in clusters''
''CT scan shows lungs glassy''
"hospitals/mortuaries/crematoriums full''

The poor third world that we are (developing country is just a feel good euphemism) responded through it's only viable strategy: shutting everything down.

And the intellectuals joining the 'test,test,test' chorus while in reality the virus itself was asymptomatic to the majority.

Now that we are hopeful that we will live, question now is what to do to save the 20% while also keeping the elephant on it's feet and moving.
ramzsys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:13   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

"hospitals full''
For this i can confirm from personal information. A friend's relative in bombay had an heart attack 2 days back and i think they went to Hinduja hospital who declined by saying you have to go to your local area hospital. They used their pincode for this. They then had to go to 3 other hospitals who declined that they don't have beds and finally got admitted at Sion hospital far away from where they live.

This situation is going to get lot worse and saying its not is ignorant.

On a separte note: I was really saddened earlier today about the railway accident news and when i shared why something like this was allowed to happen i got replied from my friends why were they even sleeping there. I am appalled that the point of this news was supposed to be why migrants/labors have to walk on rail tracks 30-40 kms a day instead of them sleeping on it. If they were so educated/informed or have money and place to stay they won't be labors. Everyday i see in my city loads of people walking with bags some with kids (i travel on Ring Road 1 and 2 to reach office). I am not going to blame a political party as here its Congress anyway. I am blaming all politicians everywhere except a few states for handling of this pandemic.

Last edited by AnandB : 8th May 2020 at 13:20.
AnandB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:14   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
It has become a trend nowadays to pile on criticism unnecessarily instead of actually putting across any solutions.
We are putting across solutions, or at least trying.

Open up the economy, have a staggered lockdown, release an actual stimulus package, help MSMEs, hold daily briefings at a national level from a senior elected representative, stop beating people up, don't ignore fundamental rights, test more, build critical health infrastructure, donate (time, effort, resources) to the less fortunate and those stranded and jobless / homeless. All of these suggestions and solutions have been put across on this forum, some by me.

Many of these suggestions have come from learned and experienced people, whether in industry or healthcare. We have at least 2 active doctors on this thread, one of whom is an intensivist, which means they are likely to be leading efforts on the front lines.

Is there anything that we are missing that you suggest we do? If so, I am sure we would love to hear and possibly implement it. I would be extremely happy to cooperate with anyone who could get our suggestions implemented, or even listened to, on a meaningful scale.

Do play the game I posted.
v1p3r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:32   #1733
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
It is now very easy to type essays criticizing the government after realizing through experience that this virus isn't as dreadful as it was portrayed:

''the Chinese are dropping dead in clusters''
''CT scan shows lungs glassy''
"hospitals/mortuaries/crematoriums full''

The poor third world that we are (developing country is just a feel good euphemism) responded through it's only viable strategy: shutting everything down.

And the intellectuals joining the 'test,test,test' chorus while in reality the virus itself was asymptomatic to the majority.

Now that we are hopeful that we will live, question now is what to do to save the 20% while also keeping the elephant on it's feet and moving.
Fully agreed. The hype in the beginning around Covid forced the government’s hand towards the lockdown. But that was more than 6 weeks ago. We now know that the virus is definitely not as deadly as we thought it to be, and the government has had plenty of time to correct course.

So why are we still in a repressive lockdown that is destroying the economy and causing countless casualties both in the real and the figurative sense?** Why are we still promoting the fear mongering through the media which will clearly inhibit an economic recovery? Why hasn’t the government reined that in yet?

People here are simply panning those questioning the government. Why? Are we not entitled to ask questions of our elected leaders to whom we entrust our welfare? By being in power, are they doing us a favour out of the goodness of their hearts? They ran for public office because they WANTED to be administrators. And we voted for them based on the promises that they made during their campaigns. No one forced anyone to run for office or to make promises. But once a government is in power, it has to be answerable to the public that gave it its power.

** By casualties, I mean all the collateral damage - death of patients with chronic ailments, medical personnel being ostracised, suffering and death of migrants, collapse of entire economic sectors, massive unemployment. All this is a direct result of the lockdown and the fear that was initially created.

Last edited by mohansrides : 8th May 2020 at 13:38.
mohansrides is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:39   #1734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent it is. Homeless. Food vs health vs safety essentially.

Voted for Yes. Couple of reasons : My cousin in Ahmedabad went to a large grocery supermarket where social distancing was maintained, and they ended up buying groceries for a week or so. In next three days, a few employees of that grocery super market were COVID19 positive. My uncle sitting 100 kms. away in native village was tense. So were we. When a thing as simple as hand railing or door knob can be hosting such dangerous, as of now, un-treatable virus, I guess the only option to be as safe as possible is lockdown. Earlier in my posts I did mention in Lockdown 2.0 that third phase is incoming. I guess for states like Maharashtra and Gujarat, even a fourth phase cannot be circumvented.
Second reason : I had sore throat a few days ago. Now better, but it did give me a big scare last week.

Enough to confirm that as of lockdown is only option. Question here is, can we as a nation and as individuals can afford it or not. This is another domain (other than healthcare) where government has failed miserably, and I dont think anything will be different soon. Grim reality, but truth too. Staring at past, we could have build better healthcare facilities in lockdown 1.0. Now, we are clueless, I expect it remain like this for long decades to come. A few posts in beginning of this thread are indicative of poor planning. Time should have been given to migrant workers for going back to their homes. Another aspect depicting lack of planning or foresight : In Ahmedabad the vegetable vendors were termed as super spreaders. It was evident from day one that coroanvirus is contagious of human to human virus transmission. Why all milk, grocery and vegetable vendors were not tested every week and given weekly ID to be safe to operate ? This is where I feel foresight and coordination would have helped.

Am again getting ready for minor relaxations and Lockdown 4.0. Lets not wait for stimulus package for middle class or anything as such. And we will eternally be waiting for that "Developed nation" tag.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th May 2020 at 13:41.
Old 8th May 2020, 14:05   #1735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The perfect game to play in these difficult times.

http://covid.xrlabs.cloud/que

Do have a gander. It will be well worth your time.
Damn, I could survive only for 18/19 days. Fight with the landlord.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 14:23   #1736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Damn, I could survive only for 18/19 days. Fight with the landlord.
Managed to survive.
But my husband is an alcoholic, unemployed idiot!
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 14:30   #1737
BANNED

35% of the labour didn't even bother to board the train. So irresponsible. There are others who could have taken the seat.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75614532.cms
Old 8th May 2020, 14:35   #1738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Managed to survive.
But my husband is an alcoholic, unemployed idiot!
I got rid of his blasted auto. Served him right for going out to buy alcohol during the lock down
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 14:39   #1739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Survived. Borrowed money at high interest, threw alcoholic husband out, bought kids coloring books and brother is Mad Max-ing his way home. Win?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 14:46   #1740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Survived. Borrowed money at high interest, threw alcoholic husband out, bought kids coloring books and brother is Mad Max-ing his way home. Win?
Yup. That’s how you survive this lockdown Rambo!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks