Team-BHP > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 218 45.32%
No 197 40.96%
I'm unsure 66 13.72%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2020, 14:22   #166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 34 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is Mysore today, and you can see police trying to convince folks to go home.
Wonder why the sellers simply cannot maintain a 5 or 10m distance between each other. Space it out when there is so much space rather can crowding the marketplace.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th March 2020 at 14:29. Reason: No video URL's in quoted post please. Thank You.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 14:26   #167
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,198
Thanked: 10,047 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Whichever side of the cop-citizen debate one falls on, let's not swing to extremes and lose perspective:

1. Both parties are citizens. Cops have the added responsibility of protecting others on top of protecting themselves and their families. Tough job with plenty of hurdles, NOT an excuse for unruly behavior but the stress levels are probably insane so they deserve some empathy, at the very least.

2. It's probably a minority of both sides acting like they shouldn't, but common Joe public outnumbers cops by orders of magnitude, a minority of the former is naturally going to look far bigger and worse than a minority of the latter.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th March 2020 at 14:28.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 14:41   #168
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 249
Thanked: 657 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
First death due to police brutality in West Bengal. The person was buying milk and got beaten up by the police.

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/...mpression=true
Post mortem reports clears the police. Apparently, the guy had chronic diarrhoea and fell in his bathroom and later suffered from cardiac arrest.

Police have also denied any lathi charge taking place to disperse a gathering that the mans family claimed he had been assualted at.

Source: https://www.news18.com/news/india/po...t-2552211.html
JithinR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 14:58   #169
TRR
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 10
Thanked: 267 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
What I cannot comprehend is why do it with zero notice, zero preparation and planning and clearly inadequate thought on all the disruption that needs addressing. I am grappling with how giving zero notice helped the situation in any way. You act with no prior notice when you are faced with a crime or potential terrorist threat not when it is about healing and caring. What did the Govt think would go wrong if the nation was given one week to prepare? What did it prevent from happening - overcrowding, rush at stations, immigration, shortages - by pouncing with 3 hours notice.
Pray tell, what would have been the adequate notice period required in this instance? You say one week's time to prepare, I say one week's time for the virus to spread to incomprehensible levels and severely overburden our medical system and personnel. Have a look at the below graph and notice the increase in cases in Italy between any 5-day span that you choose (apart from the first 5, obviously).

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1862
Size:  53.5 KB

If the above graph won't open your eyes to the need of an immediate lockdown, I believe discussion on this point is moot.

Now tell me honestly where you think India would have ended up, if we were given a week to go out in a jolly fashion. I can guarantee 100% if the one week time was given, we'd have separate threads crucifying the government for not acting sooner after our medical system was overwhelmed. Also, that's still no guarantee that people would have waited till the last minute to buy stuff.

Also, this was not a sudden development and a comparison to DeMo in this regard is not warranted simply because nearly all major districts were shutdown or were on the verge of being shutdown much before the lockdown was announced. People refused to stock up then, because of the chalta hai attitude. Nothing would have changed with a one-week notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The informal sector, that employs most of our people, was dealt a body blow by DeMo. And now a second body blow.
I think once millions of informal sector employees die from Covid or are left unable to work for a couple of months, the informal sector will be in a much better position to recover. Because let's face it, the people working in the unorganized sector will be the last ones to get adequate treatment when there are lakhs of infected in the country. Unfortunately, that's just how the country works, no matter how unfair or unjust it may seem.

Do a lockdown and be blamed for destroying the informal sector. Don't do a lockdown and be blamed for the thousands that end up dead. It really is a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario for the government. Now I realize why some babus in the government have such thick skins.

Also, we need to understand that the entire country is in this together. Informal, formal, educated, uneducated. The virus doesn't discriminate. The government, irrespective of the political affiliation, isn't out to gleefully destroy the economy by targeting the informal sector using Covid as an excuse. Skepticism should be there, I agree, but being skeptical just for the sake of it, will take us nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Some may say we are saving lives. Which we should. But it needs to be in the context of how many lives do we think we are saving? Across the globe in 3 months, officially 20k have died. Let's assume India were to lose 40k. Each death is a personal tragedy and I am not belittling that. As per WHO India has ~2.6 million TB patients. Of these roughly 1100 people die because of TB each day. Would you stop the whole nation and spin millions out of employment for that?
Why stop at TB? Let's compare it to cancer/HIV/other disease and further trivialize it. Cause hey, people die anyway so what's the problem?

In fact, lets twist the logic some more. Why improve automotive safety and bring in ABS and other safety equipment or bring in BSVI as standard through government regulations when we know it will inconvenience the industry? - After all its a $135 billion industry providing employment to more than a million people. Why put huge pictorials of cancer on tobacco products and deprive an entire industry of lost sales and employment? - After all it generates 11.79 lakh crore INR in turnover and provides employment for 5.4 crores people. Because hey, end of the day, people die anyway.

Using 'what abouts' to compare Covid to TB will only invite other 'what abouts' and is not a really valid argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The economic challenge (read recession) we are now going to face will probably kill many more than CV would.
Ahh yes, the Donald Trump way of thinking. Is it better to save the economy and let millions suffer and rot for a couple of months, with thousands possibly dead, or is it better to sacrifice the economy and save as much people as possible from dying a painful and slow death? Because believe it or not, you need to live to be able to work at all. If someone ends up dead from Covid, nothing else will matter to them anymore.

Also, I don't know if you've taken this into consideration, but a significant chunk of the world has shut down for this. Nearly every country is foreseeing a recession because of the disease, regardless of whether they locked down or not. So its not like India's economy would have bloomed sky-high if it were not for the lockdown. Chalking up the forthcoming recession solely to India's lockdown is imaginary at best and downright ignorant at worst.

Last edited by vb-san : 27th March 2020 at 18:11. Reason: Invalid attachment at the top removed
TRR is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 15:26   #170
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,586
Thanked: 7,704 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

And while some grown-ups find pleasure in violating the instructions, look what a class-5 girl comes up with all by herself:

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020-az-lockdown-aadhyapadaki.jpg


I know this girl, and she is creative. I can vouch for it that it's her own composition.

Last edited by condor : 27th March 2020 at 15:27.
condor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 15:42   #171
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 1,177 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
What I cannot comprehend is why do it with zero notice, zero preparation and planning and clearly inadequate thought on all the disruption that needs addressing.

Some may say we are saving lives. Which we should. But it needs to be in the context of how many lives do we think we are saving? Across the globe in 3 months, officially 20k have died. Let's assume India were to lose 40k. [/i]
1) If you give notice of an impending lockdown, people migrate from everywhere to everywhere else. Read about what happened in Lombardy where thousands of people left the infected region before the lockdown was enforced and spread the virus to the rest of Italy.

2) 40K? Are you kidding? Unchecked, this virus will kill well over 5% of infected people. Any and every simulation done shows that 50-80% of population will get infected without any measures. You do the math on how many people will die because of this. I'm also sure you know how to read logarithmic charts - look at any chart of deaths today, and it's clear the global toll is going to be in the hundreds of thousands. Look at what is happening in the US right now - because of the delayed actions, it's quickly climbed to the no-1 position in infections, which is what would happen in India without a lockdown too. You can't put the economy before the lives of people.
d3mon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 15:54   #172
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 929
Thanked: 538 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Warning: Controversial Post
Not disagreeing with your post and opinion, but Sunday Janta curfew was a clear indication and indication of whats coming. Everyone knew one day of lock-down was not going to change the situation, they should have started the preparation. Even before the India wide Janta curfew, 80 district across India where under lock-down with a clear warning by authorities what to expect and direction of it getting extend to other area or state.


I am of the opinion, there is no right way to do a lock-down, it always going to have some or other problems. Stay safe and let try and make it work for everybody, we all are in this together.


-Pramod
pramods is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 16:38   #173
Senior - BHPian
 
dailydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA - IND
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 3,380 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

BENGALURU POLICE NOT TO CARRY LATHIS ON DUTY

The Bengaluru city Police Commissioner has instructed his men to not carry their lathis when posted for law & order duties during the current lockdown.

Only reserve cops (CAR & KSRP) can use them, with utmost discretion, in unavoidable circumstances.

Further, they have been asked to treat all lockdown violators with adequate respect and politeness.

The advisory (I have seen the copy, but can't post it here as it is intended only for internal circulation) has eight points on which the police are to concentrate and deliver.

Hope those instructions will be followed in letter and spirit and will perhaps act as examples for the cops in the rest of the state or even the entire country.
dailydriver is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 01:46   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 1,609 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

The supplies in the local pharmacy, groceries are running out. Unless the supply is restored, the situation will turn worse. We are nearing month-end and a lot many would be buying their monthly supplies.

The questions is what all items are considered as essential needs? How would Govt restore the supply chain only for these essential goods? Considering the goods have to move from the factory till the local shop?
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 05:49   #175
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,761
Thanked: 1,684 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The supplies in the local pharmacy, groceries are running out. Unless the supply is restored, the situation will turn worse.
A very good point indeed. While Modi tweets that supplies will be fine, the reality is very different with widespread confusion on which workers belong to the essential category and which ones do not. Supply chains are quite complex and involve many middlemen all of whom need to be allowed to work!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 06:47   #176
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,528
Thanked: 6,788 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Straightforward explanation of why the lockdown is important

vb-san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 09:13   #177
BHPian
 
Ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MH 43 // MH 46
Posts: 298
Thanked: 654 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The supplies in the local pharmacy, groceries are running out.
My local grocer informed me this morning when I went to get the milk that his supplies of grains, pulses & other household essentials will take 15 days to normalize. He is unable to get transporter to move stuff from the wholesale market to his shop. And he is scared of the cops.
Big Basket & Grofers are still not able to fulfill orders in my area. Shopping cart is loaded but when it moves to the payment window, they ask me to try later. I have been trying for the past 24 hours.

Only option for me now is to visit Big Bazaar, Star Market, Reliance Fresh & hope that they have provisions.

Are you folks able to get bread and eggs at your local kirana store or the supermarkets in your cities. In my small suburb, the stocks disappear as soon as they arrive, if at all they arrive.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 09:36   #178
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 24,059
Thanked: 23,143 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

All the online shops are a complete failure in this crisis. Their websites are barely responding, if they do, they don't have the ability to deliver in the next 10 days.

However, the local supermarkets are still doing well in Bangalore. Today I made a grocery run at 8am. The only thing the shop had run out of was biscuits, looks like people are hoarding all kinds of biscuits. But milk/curd/rice/pulses/eggs were available in plenty. Except the biscuit aisle, all other aisles were full of stuff.

Went to the vegetable shop next. They had just gotten delivery of fresh veggies. Only thing we didn't find was coconuts, the shop guy said it is expected later.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 09:58   #179
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,517
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

The local supermarkets in our area at Ghatkopar East are doing an amazing job. We have most of the things we want and they don't let you hoard, everything has a limit upto which you can buy.

There are circles drawn on which you have to stand outside the gate, it looks like a long line because of the distance, but its not a lot.

I usually take my car and go whenever we need something as I don't want to walk all the way there with people around and risk catching anything, I have old parents at home.
humyum is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 09:59   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
dailydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA - IND
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 3,380 Times
Default re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
BENGALURU POLICE NOT TO CARRY LATHIS ON DUTY
Today's Samyukta Karnataka carries this news item. It pretty much sums up the circular referred to in the quoted post.
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till May 31, 2020-img_20200328_093829.jpg  

dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks