Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2020, 10:55   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

It would be stupid to think that all essential services will run when there is a lock down. This report from Dh is about hospitals running short of oxygen cylinders.

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/t...rs-819824.html

It is the same case with masks and other medical supplies.

An employee of mine now has to carry 20L water cans up his apartment from a nearby filling center because cops have beaten up the water supply guy for breaking curfew! If water supply is not essential, I wonder what is.
Kosfactor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 11:09   #347
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

I wanted to share this twitter link. This person has documented his days of corona. It is downright scary and makes me want to not go out even for essentials if I can live without them.

https://twitter.com/ShirazMaher/stat...54346396246018

They say it is work from home and I am in IT services but after the 1st week there is really very less work. Support tickets have reduced to negligible because in the end we support actual businesses that are not operating right now.
Old 1st April 2020, 11:11   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Its one of the most stupidest decision of Punjab government, they led the way as they were the first one to impose curfew in the country but the opening of factories is just impractical, not even 1 factory has opened up after this decision as its impractical & nobody is willing to fulfill the kind of conditions they have suggested. Most of punjab has small scale industry & no one has the space or means to provide lodging, food & other essential items of daily use to its employees. Majority of the workers wont bear the cost & for factories to be operational they will have to let the markets, transportation & other allied activities to open up & then whats the point of lockdown, rest of india is under lockdown where will punjab businesses sell their material? All of the people in my circle & most of the industry associations of punjab have rejected this idea.
Can I ask you, what a non stupid decision be in the current situation? Keep in mind this step was taken as a lot of factory owners had raised concerns on mass exodus of the workforce from Punjab to their native places.

I would actually laud the government for giving options to industry rather than forcing it's will.

Last edited by warrioraks : 1st April 2020 at 11:20.
warrioraks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 11:37   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Can I ask you, what a non stupid decision be in the current situation? Keep in mind this step was taken as a lot of factory owners had raised concerns on mass exodus of the workforce from Punjab to their native places.

I would actually laud the government for giving options to industry rather than forcing it's will.
Follow what other states & the whole country is doing, exodus is happening everywhere & by opening factories the whole point of lockdown is defeated, remember its not lockdown in punjab its curfew, imagine 1000 factories open up where will they keep their workforce? Nobody & i mean nobody has space to lodge people in their premisis plus whichever factory starts operating will have to face monitoring by local authorities & their factory liscences can be cancelled even if a small detail is not according to the conditions.

Nobody is ready to open their factories as the terms & conditions are impractical plus there has to be demand somewhere for the goods to be produced which i hope you know isnt. If lauding impractical decisions is what makes people happy then go ahead
Old 1st April 2020, 11:40   #350
BANNED

After yesterday, I expect a three week extension, at least. We have been put back a lot.
Old 1st April 2020, 11:59   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Please goto nearby SHO and get the permission letter, print it and paste it on the windshield. Dont take chance because an ambulance from Kerala was not allowed to cross into Karnataka recently, though it was carrying a critical patient. Also see if the therapy can be done in Noida itself.
And how does one go to the "nearby SHO" without getting getting their backside whopped with dried bamboo stick(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiwakar92 View Post
Police brutality in India has hit a new high thanks to the lock down.
I've been hearing about people being beat up with sticks and some asked to do sit ups.

Have the police in your city made life difficult for you by not allowing you to perform the most basic of duties or do you think they have had a positive impact ?

I am genuinely curious since my impression is that they are now drunk on power abusing people.
Yes, the police in Pune is still indulging in waving the sticks and landing them on anyone they see on the road, having experienced this second hand. I had to hit the road on scooter because of the dwindling supplies at home. 50 m from my house and I see a police barricade on the way to chemist and veg supplier. Like a stupid citizen of India I went up to the pack of JJE (Judge, Jury & Executioner) to explain my situation and seek their guidance.

They did not believe the reason since I was on 2-wheeler, even on showing the humongous carry bag for stocking 1-2 weeks' supply (they said why don't you walk down?) - wanted to confiscate the vehicle and impose a case on me.

Anyway I stood at the corner with my vehicle like a dumb citizen with my tail tucked in, and made a few observations before scooting away surreptitiously (thankfully there are multiple paths to my house):
1) if you backtrack as soon as you see police or barricade, they will not bat an eyelid, not chase you, not catch you
2) if you jaywalk on the road wearing a mask and holding a bag, they will not catch you
3) if you appear to be young, especially on a two wheeler, they will not listen to anything you will get whacking on first on your legs, then butts, and finally back/waist in that order by the second police constable who will be always standing behind you
4) if you argue with them, they will definitely beat you blue and black
5) their bullying behavior lasts especially if there is a "burra sahib" somewhere in the vicinity and comfort of his vehicle
6) the poorer you appear, the worse their language and behavior is

I am surprised that there are idiots on the social media encouraging this behavior of police, looks like they are well stacked in their ivory towers. (must've been those same set of people rushing to hoard stuff when Modi announced lock-down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am not sure how this works since not all are fortunate enough to have a well stocked grocery store near by (most of them don't seem to be doing home delivery anymore). Also, what about senior citizens who can't walk everywhere. Besides, even I can't get multiple 20L water cans to my home from the nearest grocery store by walk.
Well ask these questions to the imbeciles applauding the violent police behavior and govt strategies.
I have told you how the animals in khakhi are reacting in Pune.
I don't think they are hitting people who have white hair and appear old (wrinkles and stuff)

Last edited by alpha1 : 1st April 2020 at 12:02.
alpha1 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 12:00   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Follow what other states & the whole country is doing, exodus is happening everywhere & by opening factories the whole point of lockdown is defeated, remember its not lockdown in punjab its curfew, imagine 1000 factories open up where will they keep their workforce? Nobody & i mean nobody has space to lodge people in their premisis plus whichever factory starts operating will have to face monitoring by local authorities & their factory liscences can be cancelled even if a small detail is not according to the conditions.

Nobody is ready to open their factories as the terms & conditions are impractical plus there has to be demand somewhere for the goods to be produced which i hope you know isnt. If lauding impractical decisions is what makes people happy then go ahead

Sorry to hear about your challenges but I think you are missing the point. Let me simplify:
Scenario A - Government enforces a curfew
Scenario B - Government enforces a curfew but exempts establishments which are able to maintain strict (impractical in your words) standards of hygiene, social distancing and containment

Are you rooting for scenario A?

Last edited by warrioraks : 1st April 2020 at 12:17. Reason: Grammar
warrioraks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 12:16   #353
BANNED

Re: The Corona virus thread

Two medical shops near my home both said that they haven't received a single new stock of any medication since the lockdown & they don't expect it either before the lockdown ends. This is utterly pathetic.
carboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 12:21   #354
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are missing the point.

I think its not me who is missing the point. If passing orders on paper without keeping in mind if its applicable in the real world or not is good then However the conditions cant be met by anybody(social distancing, lodging, food, ensuring personal hygiene of hundreds of workers) and gob forbid if any corona positive case occurs in any of the factory, his/her factory will be sealed for a long time & also the adjoining area cordoned off. You should know that its not some organised modern offices we're talking about but small, medium and big factories most of which are unorganised in which meeting the above conditions is impossible. If this idea was good the industry would have supported it but its not
trinity0114 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 12:54   #355
BHPian

Quote:
I think its not me who is missing the point. If passing orders on paper without keeping in mind if its applicable in the real world or not is good then However the conditions cant be met by anybody(social distancing, lodging, food, ensuring personal hygiene of hundreds of workers) and gob forbid if any corona positive case occurs in any of the factory, his/her factory will be sealed for a long time & also the adjoining area cordoned off. You should know that its not some organised modern offices we're talking about but small, medium and big factories most of which are unorganised in which meeting the above conditions is impossible. If this idea was good the industry would have supported it but its not
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/74921390.cms

Please read this news article. If some traders have come forward and applied for permission to restart operations, then I assume there are others (within the industry) who disagree with you. Enough said!

Last edited by warrioraks : 1st April 2020 at 13:12.
Old 1st April 2020, 13:42   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
And how does one go to the "nearby SHO" without getting getting their backside whopped with dried bamboo stick(s)?

Yes, the police in Pune is still indulging in waving the sticks and landing them on anyone they see on the road, having experienced this second hand. I had to hit the road on scooter because of the dwindling supplies at home. 50 m from my house and I see a police barricade on the way to chemist and veg supplier. Like a stupid citizen of India I went up to the pack of JJE (Judge, Jury & Executioner) to explain my situation and seek their guidance.

They did not believe the reason since I was on 2-wheeler, even on showing the humongous carry bag for stocking 1-2 weeks' supply (they said why don't you walk down?) - wanted to confiscate the vehicle and impose a case on me.

I am surprised that there are idiots on the social media encouraging this behavior of police, looks like they are well stacked in their ivory towers.

Well ask these questions to the imbeciles applauding the violent police behavior and govt strategies.
I have told you how the animals in khakhi are reacting in Pune.
I don't think they are hitting people who have white hair and appear old (wrinkles and stuff)
All, I am using @alpha1's post only as a reference point to make a wider message. Let's stay with direct personal experiences. The police in each State is behaving differently. Maybe MH is worse than other States. But let's not get into a rant as it gives readers no practical value. Just share the facts and let the other members decide for themselves - that is more useful to all than hard words of anger.

My mother has been seriously ill and admitted at Fortis, Gurgaon since before the lockdown. I traverse to and fro twice and sometimes thrice a day. Yes there are road blocks, yes I need to explain what I am out for, some times the 'interrogation' has gotten a little long winded, you need to stay cool, speak politely, be firm and life moves on. And yes I have also been threatened with impounding of my car - I got out and handed him the keys and folded my hands!!. On another occasion after the worst interrogation I've had so far the cop yielded when he saw no change in my story, tone, voice and in his thet Haryanvi invited me to have tea with him!! - all true. On another afternoon at a check point the cop just waved me on {I think he recognized the car}. I stopped and thanked them for doing their duty in the sun and gave them two 1 litre bottles of water I had in the car.

We always face adversities in life not of our making. We can't control if there will be or won't be a lockdown. But we do control how we deal with it. Cops in India and their attitudes are known to all. We need to fine tune our tone to the situation and get our way. If the grocery is 50 metres why not just walk. Make two trips if the weight is too much.

I am not trying to criticize anyone least of all @alpha1. Just trying to suggest there are many ways to skin a cat. Let's not drown ourselves in feeling sorry and angry. Instead be a cunning old fox.
V.Narayan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 13:45   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
No Logic In Lockdown In A Country Where 94% Are Below 65, Says Rajiv Bajaj[/b]
"We should have kept the seniors home, closed public spaces, and allowed the rest of us to keep life moving forward," he said.
While what he says is true in principle, there are some serious possible repercussions in practice - With the kind of polluted air we've been breathing all along (in Indian cities), most of us MIGHT have our lungs with damages in the air sacs and various degrees of pulmonary diseases that what should be a mild covid, could turn out to be severe/fatal infection!

A global study/comparison by some lung pathologists might reveal the degree of damage caused of our polluted breathing.

For now, I'd say I'm glad that this Bajaj idea did not see the light of day! Hope it remains that way.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 14:33   #358
BHPian

Quote:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/74921390.cms

Please read this news article. If some traders have come forward and applied for permission to restart operations, then I assume there are others (within the industry) who disagree with you. Enough said!
Usual clickbait article from TOI, there's nothing specific written, if out of 1 lakh industrial units in Ludhiana only 24 people come forward who think they can meet those conditions then good for them. What you fail to tell is how will people cope with the genuine problems which come with a curfew & a host other guidlines laid by the authorities to run your industry. Just saying its a good step does not solve the problem, if however you think you know better than thousands of factory owners in punjab then i cant help you
trinity0114 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 15:05   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

The police in my area are not acting harshly. They do stop and question people. And they are enforcing distancing among customers in shops. A major cluster of vegetable/fruit/meat shops is fact situated right next to the IAF road police outpost in Selaiyur. We went grocery shopping this morning right next to the cops.

(Funny story - As my wife requested the grocer to cut a slice of white pumpkin, a lady next to her asked what that vegetable was and what it is used for. The grocer loudly remarked that people are discovering vegetables only now, thanks to the Coronavirus. "You kept eating everything that flew, ran or swam all this time, didn't you? Welcome to my shop!" Sure enough, the butcher's next door looked deserted.)
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 16:48   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am not trying to criticize anyone least of all @alpha1. Just trying to suggest there are many ways to skin a cat. Let's not drown ourselves in feeling sorry and angry. Instead be a cunning old fox.
I agree with your message, and further, your experience in dealing with this during a family crisis says a lot. However, permit me to point out that the BLR police has in fact banned all two and four wheelers. They have previously been whacking delivery boys, not just of the startups that people love to hate, but also of neighbourhood grocery stores and water delivery stores.

For those unaware, large swaths of Bangalore's residents rely on 20 litre water cans delivered directly to your doorstep, once you call your local bhaiyya or anna or saar. Now with two and four wheelers banned, these guys cannot deliver. They are small-time, unorganised sector workers who don't have the wherewithal to get an 'essential services' pass, if they managet to make it to the PS without getting whacked. Of course, you cannot buy a water purifier, because technicians can't come to install it. Water is bulky, so even for a fit person, walking a kilometre with 10 litres (which is 10 kg) is extremely difficult.

Now, to drive home the point, my parents are senior citizens who live by themselves. Luckily, they are reasonably fit and have so far managed by going out to buy groceries once a week. With this brilliant new rule, I am afraid that they will actually run out of water.

I applaud the people who make decisions in the BLR police department. This is the sort of absolute and abysmal subhuman incompetence that leads to bloody revolutions. I will not be surprised or dismayed if, at the end of these few weeks, the mood drastically shifts against these 'people'.
v1p3r is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks