Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2020, 16:52   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am not sure how this works since not all are fortunate enough to have a well stocked grocery store near by (most of them don't seem to be doing home delivery anymore). Also, what about senior citizens who can't walk everywhere. Besides, even I can't get multiple 20L water cans to my home from the nearest grocery store by walk.
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img20200401wa0010.jpg

Couldn't understand the logic behind this hard and fast rule. I thought going by a vehicle could be much more safer than exposing yourself by walking plus not that everyone will have a shop at a walking distance.
balenoed_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 17:44   #362
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
They have previously been whacking delivery boys, not just of the startups that people love to hate, but also of neighbourhood grocery stores and water delivery stores.
Yep, all my neighborhood grocery shops are not delivering to home either. I could walk to them to get groceries but the 20L water cans have become a point of concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
For those unaware, large swaths of Bangalore's residents rely on 20 litre water cans delivered directly to your doorstep.... Now with two and four wheelers banned, these guys cannot deliver. .....Of course, you cannot buy a water purifier, because technicians can't come to install it. Water is bulky, so even for a fit person, walking a kilometre with 10 litres (which is 10 kg) is extremely difficult.
I am on my last 20L can of Bisleri. Now, Bisleri is not supplying water cans to the local groceries for the past week or so since the lock down started. Local RO plant bottled water is there but I am not sure if I can carry them from the nearest grocery store (or maybe I should just roll them on the road and have some fun).

I have tried contacting Livpure and other services in Bengaluru but they are not installing units as of now. Also, like you said no technician is going to come home to install these units or service them till this thing is over (realized this while desperately trying Amazon/Flipkart to purchase a Water purifier. They won't deliver these items anyways).

What I have done, is get about 5L of juice (the sugar loaded crap that I hate..but have to now drink) and 5L of buttermilk (for my Mom who can't have sugary drinks) and minimized the use of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Attachment 1987045

Couldn't understand the logic behind this hard and fast rule. I thought going by a vehicle could be much more safer than exposing yourself by walking plus not that everyone will have a shop at a walking distance.
Well, this is the Indian way. Isn't it?

If you can't solve a problem the right way, then just ban the damn thing. Problem solved!

Last edited by JithinR : 1st April 2020 at 17:47. Reason: Highlighted imp point
JithinR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 17:55   #363
Senior - BHPian

Talking about water, I got a shocker when our KENT water purifier started continuously beeping and stopped working for no apparent reason. It was serviced and all filters replaced just 2 months back. Kent obviously is not providing any technical support currently. Looked around on the internet and figured out a way to do a reset of the machine. Done and it is functioning now.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 17:56   #364
Senior - BHPian

Just waiting for someone to come by and justify how we should all learn to sacrifice drinking water for 2 weeks.
v1p3r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:03   #365
Senior - BHPian

If you don't have access to treated water consider boiling it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boil..._water_potable
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:05   #366
BHPian

I am boiling the borewell water for more than 3 minutes and drinking the same from the past one week. Stopped getting the bottled water as it might be more dangerous than the borewell water.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:21   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am boiling the borewell water for more than 3 minutes and drinking the same from the past one week. Stopped getting the bottled water as it might be more dangerous than the borewell water.
I was about to suggest this, yes, this is what we used to do earlier [when purifiers were not in use, pre Zero-B era] and I too would do now.

Two credible websites too recommend it.

Link

Link
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:23   #368
BHPian

From the last few posts, we can see how the focus has started shifting to the zillion other problems cropping up because of a complete lockdown. And this is not just on this forum.

Wait for a few more days!. Corono who? (what)
Old 1st April 2020, 18:32   #369
Team-BHP Support

Folks considering boiling water, I hope you have electric kettles because LPG supplies, last-mile home deliveries to be exact, are affected too (reported for Bangalore).

You don't want to end up with no potable water and no way to cook your groceries, together.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:39   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
From the last few posts, we can see how the focus has started shifting to the zillion other problems cropping up because of a complete lockdown. And this is not just on this forum.

Wait for a few more days!. Corono who? (what)
That is human tendency to survive right? It is expected. Actually a very interesting study. Sociologists all over must be taking copious notes to make for studying later.
Old 1st April 2020, 18:50   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
<You quoted from twitter>
screenshot with my highlighting...

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-cease.jpg

Didn't anyone else notice that they said the opposite of what they meant?

Or perhaps everyone noticed, and I just the Petty Pedant of the day!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 18:55   #372
BHPian

So, I just went out for a bit, was essential; was driving, and stayed in my car. Trust me when I say this, it's no better being out in this situation. There's checkpoints, the streets are empty, eerie, and silent, and there's uneasiness. Even inside the car, I wasn't able to pay attention to the music, and there were no pleasant feelings of being out after almost 3 weeks. Plus the stress of being out, opening windows at checkpoints to tell them the reason I was out made me feel insecure.
A street beggar, who appeared to be drunk made his way towards my car, and I folded my hands and begged him to go away. Churned my insides.
The vibe is just off.

It's better to be inside.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 19:07   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
LPG supplies, last-mile home deliveries
How true. We hand anticipated such a situation could arise. Hence, all boiling - water, vegetables, rice, etc - have been on the induction cooktop. Any/Every re-heating of food in the microwave.

Haven't done any proper cooking on the induction yet, but will possibly try one of these days.

Our apartment has the natural gas pipeline infrastructure mostly installed, but the supply of natural gas itself is yet to be started - I think this is story for many apartments in Bangalore.
Old 1st April 2020, 19:19   #374
BANNED

After the latest fiasco we may need to extend the lock down. Figures which were improving went up yesterday and also today. Let us keep our fingers crossed.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 19:31   #375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Or perhaps everyone noticed, and I just the Petty Pedant of the day!
I thought for a second of pointing it out on Twitter, then I had visions of sticks and bums, and I thought better of it.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed