Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:24   #421
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Maybe we will be more appreciative if "developed" nations are now doing the same thing?

Psychological warfare is as important as medical warfare against covid 19.
Perhaps if we had information on how the fight is going on and the future directions that we are going to take then perhaps all this would not have bothered me much.

Many of those developed countries have daily press briefings. Why are we not copying that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
And I very very very seriously hope not to see messages circulating on social media now, trying to justify how switching off lights for 9 minutes and lighting the candle will blind and stun the virus and cause it to self-explode into oblivion.

Apologize for the sarcasm.
Too late. It's already started.

https://twitter.com/Binod1048/status...127512576?s=19

Last edited by JithinR : 3rd April 2020 at 10:31.
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:25   #422
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
PM Modi : I request all of you to switch off all the lights of your house on 5th April at 9PM for 9 minutes and just light a candle 'Diya', or mobile flashlight, to mark our fight against Corona Virus.
Could have planned for 9th April as well.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:25   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Just FYI for the folks discussing drinking water shortages
I had placed an order of 5-20L water bottles day before yesterday. When you place an order, they just take our information and say that they'll call back but its been 2 days & no calls yet. if this works out, much of my water problems will be resolved. Hoping for the best
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:26   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Maybe we will be more appreciative if "developed" nations are now doing the same thing?

Psychological warfare is as important as medical warfare against covid 19.
No offence, but this is something youngsters, volunteer groups, communities etc must be organizing. Its all very welcome.
A PM doing this kind of stuff is a colossal waste of his precious airtime.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:43   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
No offence, but this is something youngsters, volunteer groups, communities etc must be organizing. Its all very welcome.
A PM doing this kind of stuff is a colossal waste of his precious airtime.
I have my reservations about the current administration, but when the PM announced the lock-down, I did support it with my whole heart. And still do. But, I don't understand where he is going with the plate banging and torch shining. I guess it is a blasphemy in this country to call our PM incompetent, and I guess that is why many refrain from doing that. Please Mr PM, the last time you tried to do something symbolic with the plate banging, it was a disaster. I hoped you would learn from that. But looks like, except for drama, your arsenal is empty.
civic-sense is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:43   #426
Senior - BHPian

This, and the other threads about Corona virus are in a grey zone - it is difficult to decide what goes where and whether any value addition would be possible by commenting on the day's burning issue.

But given the global lack of decisive leadership in tackling this pandemic, beginning with the WHO and percolating down to several countries, and the resultant suffering heaped on mankind in general, I think it wouldn't be too far fetched to recall a tragically beautiful poem penned by Alfred Lord Tennyson, based on a real life incident.

THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

Quote:
I

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
“Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!” he said.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

II

“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
Someone had blundered.
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

III

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred.

IV
Flashed all their sabres bare,
Flashed as they turned in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wondered.
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right through the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reeled from the sabre stroke
Shattered and sundered.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

V
Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell.
They that had fought so well
Came through the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred

VI

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!
Courtesy: poetryfoundation

Last edited by dailydriver : 3rd April 2020 at 12:45.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:52   #427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Just FYI for the folks discussing drinking water shortages
No response for days. If there are delivery issues in re-stocking their local area distributors, not sure how taking small retail orders is going to be any different.
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:33   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
No response for days. If there are delivery issues in re-stocking their local area distributors, not sure how taking small retail orders is going to be any different.
When I got in touch with them (after contacting them on twitter, calling their helpline about 15 times, writing multiple emails etc), they told me that they have delivered a consignment of 20L cans to the nearest grocery shop.

The issue is the shop is more than 1km away (I think) and while I maybe able to carry one 20L can, I won't be able to carry multiple cans that I need till this lockdown ends (I am trying to minimize the number of trips outside).

They seem to be supplying their usual local grocery shops. Maybe the consignments are intermittent and not daily like they used to be. Please check with your usual guy. With a car you should be able to get the cans in one go.
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:34   #429
BHPian

How many of y'all are assuming that there will be an extension of the lockdown? In Kolkata there are 3 active cases. They can have a semi lock down where the public gathering places be shut. Atleast I wish for a drive around for a mind fresh. I haven't left my house maybe since 14th of March when my college asked the students to stay at home. This has actually taken a toll on my mental health since then. Looking at these four walls is way more than depressing than it actually sounds. Are the figures even real? Because the number seems to less when compared to the overall population of India. There are so many questions.
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:53   #430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

They seem to be supplying their usual local grocery shops. Maybe the consignments are intermittent and not daily like they used to be. Please check with your usual guy. With a car you should be able to get the cans in one go.
I've been calling twice daily. There's no supply at 4 shops within a couple kms of my apartment. The nearest one I'm sure of (Banashankari distributor) is about 6-7 kms away, and there are at least 3 check posts (as of last Saturday, I haven't ventured out after that) I'll need to navigate.

I'll probably have to venture out tomorrow morning. Out of options.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:01   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I haven't left my house maybe since 14th of March when my college asked the students to stay at home. This has actually taken a toll on my mental health since then. Looking at these four walls is way more than depressing than it actually sounds.
Hang in there buddy! We're all feeling the stress. While it's certainly not as bad for people like us who have places to stay and have access to the Internet and things like that, there is stress no doubt.

I'm a restless guy myself. I walk around a lot and am out of the house almost every weekend. What's helping me is establishing some sort of routine. Luckily my job lets me work from home without any problems, so work is keeping me pretty engaged. I'm talking to my folks and friends a whole lot more than I normally do. That helps too. Normally I read quite a lot, so that has only gone up, getting through a lot of old books.

What's been helping me the most is the evening workouts a group of us have scheduled using video chat. Every evening 5-6 of us log in to a video call and do some exercises, something different each day. And we laugh a lot.

I'm also hopeful that the country-wide lock down will be relaxed on the 15th. Nothing is for sure though. But pretty sure it will be lifted in stages only and there will certainly be pockets where confirmed cases have been identified that will remain under strict lock down for longer.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:05   #432
Senior - BHPian

The Karnataka Police has taken a bold step and banned the use of vehicles in the state until April 14. This is being done to ensure that citizens adhere to the 21-day nationwide lockdown imposed to curb the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus).

The Director-General of Police (DGP) of Karnataka took to Twitter on April 1 to declare the ban. The tweet said, “This is not an April Fool's prank. Two/ four wheelers are banned from use till the 14th of April. We will SEIZE your vehicle if you CEASE to ignore this lockdown regulation.”

Following up on the statement, the police managed to seize 6,852 vehicles on the first day of the ban itself. In a tweet, Bangalore Police Commissioner, Bhaskar Rao confirmed that up until 7 pm on April 1, they had seized 6,321 two-wheelers, 227 three-wheelers and 304 four-wheelers. The seized vehicles will be released by the authorities only after the lockdown ends on April 14.

The only exceptions to the ban will be vehicles used for delivery of essential goods, and those with medical emergency passes. Bhaskar Rao advised citizens to walk to the grocery store and not use it as an excuse to bring out their vehicles. He went on to say that each police station in the city would be given 200 medical emergency passes which can be availed and returned by motorists on a daily basis.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...Mhn9GsjYFxiIhs
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:07   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Hang in there buddy! We're all feeling the stress. While it's certainly not as bad for people like us who have places to stay and have access to the Internet and things like that, there is stress no doubt.
Thank you for bringing a smile to my face. Means alot when I can relate to you being a restless guy.
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:26   #434
Senior - BHPian

My better half works in the administrative wing of a private educational institution. Like the rest of the country, she has been home locked for the last ten days. But since offices have been closed, the salary of the entire lot of staff isn't disbursed yet. This also includes workers - sweepers, cleaners, watchmen etc - for whom missing a month's pay isn't an option.

Now, whether the hundred odd colleagues of hers will get paid soon or not depends on whether my wife and two others are willing to risk travelling to the office and get on with the due process for release of funds.

That puts me, her chaperone, in a quandary. I have strictly followed the lockdown norms till date, not even venturing to the nearest grocery store, situated 200 mts from my home.

In order for her to reach office, I will have to take her pillion on my two wheeler, drop her, come back home; go again and bring her back - all the while keeping an eye on the lathi wielding cops ready to (rightfully, I must admit) block me and seize my scooter, thereby ceasing my movements.

To be or not to be (on the road) is the question now.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:35   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
HowLooking at these four walls is way more than depressing than it actually sounds. Are the figures even real? Because the number seems to less when compared to the overall population of India. There are so many questions.
Kolkata seem to be less affected judging by the published figures and one can hope that there will be a partial relaxation on the 14th. However, it may not be prudent to throw caution to the wind immediately after restrictions are lifted. I understand that for many people it's torture to stay put, maybe you can do the grocery runs if not doing it already. In the area I stay in Kolkata I haven't seen any police harassment and doing grocery runs have been a breeze. Notwithstanding, I would still urge you to find something that can keep you occupied indoors. Besides the usual content streaming, a new hobby or picking up a language perhaps?

Stay safe!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks