Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2020, 08:10   #1156
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Wait for the next act of this show to begin today. Again the typical crying of crocodile tears will begin in a telecast address. And lockdown 3.0 will begin until June.
The ones in power clearly don't have a plan and are using the lockdown to glibly lie and postpone the inevitable. All the talk about the proposed bailout packages will remain just talks and at the end of this garden path expect severe unemployment coupled with a roaring rate of corona.

Last edited by AirbusCapt : 26th April 2020 at 08:11.
AirbusCapt is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 09:12   #1157
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

While the MHA has issued a notification regarding what can reopen, with local law enforcement having their unique interpretation, confusion reigns supreme. This is especially true for those states which are locked in a turf war with the center.

I wonder why the PM cannot brief the media on a regular basis and use mass media to issue a simple set of do's and dont's for the benefit of the masses. Our television media is hopeless, and those without access to authentic information sources rely on (often inaccurate) word of mouth messages. If heads of states in the west can share information and statistics on a regular basis, what stops our leader?

Last edited by hothatchaway : 26th April 2020 at 09:14.
hothatchaway is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 09:42   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Extending the lockdown further after May 3rd will lead to serious consequences. We are not very far away from riots and mob violence just like the out of state workers tried to protest in some states.

The whole point of lockdown was to improve the infrastructure to an extend so that health systems can handle the patient inflow. I don't think that is happening currently. And there is no clarity on what centre is planning. Country heads across the world are conducting press conferences regularly to let people know what is happening. I can't believe our head has not done a single press conference in the entire period.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 26th April 2020 at 09:45.
padmrajravi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 09:42   #1159
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The confusion is only increasing with each passing day.
- TN just screwed up what ever little gains from this lockdown. In the push to make it stricter, they made sure everyone goes out for 2 days and spread the infection.
- UP wants to extend it till Jun 30th.
- Regarding non-essentials, first it was announced to be only online. Then stopped entirely. Now suddenly its only thru physical retail but no online.

Lets hope they dont take the easy way out again which is just to extent it another 2-4 weeks.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:02   #1160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Lets hope they dont take the easy way out again which is just to extent it another 2-4 weeks.
Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Ahmedabad (and a few more metro & tier 1 cities) - I doubt they'll have any other option. I expect the lockdown end date to be extended in these cities by another 2 weeks (~May 15th).

From a practical/realistic sense - I hope they relax some of the conditions - may be certain sectors/sections of these cities to be opened; but my gut says they won't.

Let's see how it goes. Keeping fingers crossed.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 10:26   #1161
BHPian

Now, I'm tending towards opposing any further increase in the lockdown period. You can't keep on doing the same thing for too long. There is no sense in trying to control one thing and in doing so, creating a cascade of bigger problems. Middle class with high burden of loans/debts will start losing jobs, standalone businesses/startups like restaurants etc will close down, demand for all goods except essentials will drop further and will not increase even later, people will be forced to default on bank loans, banks NPA will increase....it will be a domino effect and soon enough, it will be out of control. How long will it take to see the spill over effect on streets?

There are chances one would not catch the virus, there are chances one would catch it but will recover. Recovery takes a month max. How much time will it take for a poor or middle class person to recover from a financial meltdown and job loss?
Nav-i-gator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 11:33   #1162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Wait for the next act of this. And lockdown 3.0 will begin until June.
If the last 2 minutes are any indication, they won’t open until everything is over, down to the last case.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 11:35   #1163
BHPian

An university in Singapore seems to have arrived at some statistical model, with data fit to a Gaussian curve.

https://ddi.sutd.edu.sg/

They predict some dates for many countries; for India, if you slightly skew the Gaussian curve to the left, it actually fits very well. What do our experts say on this???

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 26th April 2020 at 11:37.
Old 26th April 2020, 11:40   #1164
BHPian

The full national lockdown has practically ended. The centre is now defining only the what to reopen, while the states are defining when and where (sub regional) to reopen.

Examples in recent days, MHA has asked to reopen shops of non-essentials. Some of the states have allowed this in non-containment areas. KA has opened industrial activity in 9 non-affected districts. TN has now a stricter lockdown but only for 4 days and that too only Chennai, Madurai, and Coimbatore. States like UP are taking own decisions on bringing back students or migrant workers.

The shift of decision making will continue in the next few weeks.

The only big decisions that the centre has to make is when to start inter-state travel, trains, and flights.
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 11:48   #1165
BHPian

In my view everything will be fine and get back to normal gradually as long as we don't have to face any surprises from another set of single source 2.0 in future, while India is recovering.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 12:16   #1166
BHPian

We, Mumbai and Pune folks are going to be unfortunate. If I am not wrong, Maharashtra health minister yesterday hinted at extending the lockdown till 18th May in these two cities and in all earnestness this will surely happen.
vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 12:38   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
wonder why the PM cannot brief the media on a regular basis
I don't think they have anything to update about! The response at the top has come across as ad-hoc with no prior thought to it. There was, fundamentally speaking, as well all know, just two things to address - health and wealth.

Health - Everyone knows that lockdown was necessary but not sufficient. There was concerted effort required to ensure large scale testing; contact tracing; targeted quarantines; equipping medical personnel with appropriate gear and not send them to a gun fight with plates/spoons/plates and flashlights; intensify the medical R&D efforts towards drug and vaccine care; ensure supply of essentials to all without creating chaos and confusion; etc.

There was only partial success on this and that too largely thanks to the enterprising junta. Lack of proper planning and communication jeopardized much. Any further talks from higher authorities will only reveal ignorance (along the lines of disinfectant ingestion) and apathy.

Wealth - While world over governments are bending over backwards to keep money circulating in some manner or another, over here we are only bending the backs of the masses to test their breaking points! What update can we get on this? We'll have to wait for our backs to break then will come an update on pressure/force required to break the back of the masses!

Till then, things will playout their natural course with very little meaningful intervention. When it's the natural course that's panning out, what update can they give?

No (consequential) efforts, no (worthwhile) updates!
Miyata is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 13:19   #1168
BHPian

No one is talking about extending the lockdown further. Except states where situation is serious eg Maharashtra other states are resorting to phase wise restoration of all the activities.
If the lockdown is lifted at once it will be catastrophic. Imagine people running helter-skelter to visit pubs, restaurants, malls, joy ride on roads, weekend trips etc. If anything goes wrong we will fall back to level 0. It's like open the floodgates of dam at once causing massive destruction by floods to nearby villages.
Cheers!

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th April 2020 at 14:09. Reason: Quoted post edited/removed.
Storm2.0 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 13:22   #1169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You make some good points, and maybe some of them can't be escaped.

"I don't mean to be rude," usually means, "but I will be anyway." But, honestly, I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but... you do talk like a very young man.

I don't know your age: you might be older than me, but I get the feeling that you are thirty or forty years younger, and that a decade or three more might change your perspective.

(Which is not to say that you are not entitled to have and to express the perspective you have now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
If covid killed younger people instead of old, like the spanish flu of 1920's i am sure poll result would have been completely different. Like "Yes I fully support lock down" = 99%
Ps:I am 36
Since we were talking in hypotheticals a couple of days ago, here is a hypothetical for you guys.

If we could reset the poll on this thread back to zero today and then allow the same set of respondents to vote again, do you want to wager on what the spread would look like today?

Last edited by mohansrides : 26th April 2020 at 13:27.
mohansrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 13:39   #1170
BHPian

I was in support of the lock down so far however I don't want it to be extended any further . I would rather prefer to open the country with few conditions of course otherwise we are creating bigger & more than one demons to deal with one enemy. The mortality rate is on the lower sides & we would end up killing more people then the virus itself if this lock down is extended. People will die of hunger, depression, other ailments because they could not get the required medical attention, so on and so forth.

Conditions that I would like to put in place and open the country are,

1. People who are in upper age bracket, stay at home. We have many organisation working across the nation to feed & to provide, these organisation along with government can take care of the people who are in upper age bracket & have to step out to feed themselves & their families.
2. Public places like restaurants, cinema halls, parks stay closed.
3. Public transport begin functioning with social distancing protocols enforced like running buses with half of the capacity & not more than 2 passengers in cars/autos.
4. Designate the hot spots & seal them, no exceptions.
5. No religious gatherings.
6. Make covering the faces mandatory.
Engine_Roars is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed