Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 20:22   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

With bigbasket, amazon now, grofers etc.. doesn't seem to be up and running still, I decided to go to the nearby Reliance Fresh to get some essentials. Surprisingly they had most of the things in stock and very less crowd. I hope they continue the operation throughout this period and people can carefully walk in. They mandate everyone to wear a mask or cover the mouth with Kerchief before entering, else will not let enter. Kudos to all those staff who work there sacrificing their safety.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 20:26   #122
BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Despite there being evidence all around of police brutalities hampering lives, it is sad to see educated members saying that the police is right. And criticizing anyone who presents a contradictory experience or example.
No one, I repeat, no one here is anti-government. Lockdown is necessary. Beating people up? Maybe not. Maybe a few individuals who see glory in brutalities will support this, but most Indians would not.

India is bigger than Bangalore and Gurgaon. I hope someday people sharing support for brutalities realize that. The killing of an innocent by the police for stepping out to buy groceries would have shocked even most underdeveloped societies. Here, it does not make anyone flinch.

As for the member who stated that the police did not act on the goons doing bike stunts on empty roads because they were politically connected, that exactly is the issue. People like me or other middle class earners cannot call some politician to get exemptions. And the fact that exemptions are made so frivolously completely defeats the assertion by some here that the police needs to act with violence to deter movement.

The virus won't distinguish between the well off, the VIP and the poor.

Again, praying that no one here, especially those justifying the violence, get beaten up while buying food and medicines.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 26th March 2020 at 20:29.
Nissan1180 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 20:27   #123
Senior - BHPian

When the Suzuki Swift had a crazy waiting period, some were boasting how they were able to walk in and drive out without any earlier booking, thanks to the connections.

This is a nation where there is no pride in obeying laws, but it is in how they could do anything and get away with it and laugh in the face of those obeying it.

It's understandable about the outrage from educated and discerning members here about the police excesses; don't judge the world out through your lenses. The language of politeness and decency is not understood by every section of the country.
ramzsys is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:08   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
India is bigger than Bangalore and Gurgaon. I hope someday people sharing support for brutalities realize that. The killing of an innocent by the police for stepping out to buy groceries would have shocked even most underdeveloped societies. Here, it does not make anyone flinch.
Again, praying that no one here, especially those justifying the violence, get beaten up while buying food and medicines.
Very true sir. We as a society have become so cold blooded that we can not raise voice against wrong doings.
In the meantime, A K Tripathi, chief of Badaun police has tendered an apology for the incident you have posted here.
https://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.c...w/74833052.cms
khanmaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:13   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Despite there being evidence all around of police brutalities hampering lives, it is sad to see educated members saying that the police is right. And criticizing anyone who presents a contradictory experience or example.

Sir, don't make such sweeping statements. Please see with a clear impartial lens - which type is more - whether police harassing or police helping to stop movement of people. Granted, there will be excesses. Like I said, there will be idiot cops who will cross the line - No excuses for these morons, who bring discredit to the whole community of police. But please don't brand all of them with the same paint! You will be doing a great injustice to a dept, which is trying to obey the orders of the govt. Whether the govt is right in making this decision and how it goes about doing it, only time will tell.

And, most of the news channels and facebook and social media will only gloss over incidents of police excesses. They will not even mention the remaining lions share of positive things policemen are doing.

Yeah, we all should pray that we don't fall in front of the 1% sadistic cops who take great pleasure in meting out these acts. But other than that, I honestly think that cops are doing an ok job.

Last edited by haria : 26th March 2020 at 21:14.
haria is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:15   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Despite there being evidence all around of police brutalities hampering lives, it is sad to see educated members saying that the police is right.
The Top guy has Apologized for this incident, from the same web.

The policeman seen in the video is a probationer with about a year of experience. Senior officers were present but manning other spots. Corrective action will be taken. I apologise for the video and am ashamed about what happened," AK Tripathi, the Budaun police chief, said.

I have to go out once here at Chandigarh 2 days ago and we are under curfew since Sunday night unlike lockdown elsewhere. I was stopped at 2 places and asked my purpose. I was short on my medicines and they let me go. At the same time, you must have seen videos of Punjab police doing some canning or asking pushups etc. Frankly, seeing the attitude of some people - 3 people on a Bullet with super loud exhaust, I would have done the same. When I went to the market, I took my M4 and believe me, I have never driven this car that slow. Even though all roads were empty, It felt totally different, cant describe but the calm was very unreal.

It’s not as if things are not wrong but we cannot generalize everywhere. I will wait for the final Autopsy reports in the Bengal case.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...842-2020-03-26
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You very well can drive for Emergencies. Ensure to carry sufficient documentary evidence regarding the same.

Deal with the cops in a calm and composed manner even if they are agitated and venting frustration on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
100% yes; we've been doing this since Mar 15 for multiple times every single day
Thanks. Yes we have sufficient proof. But the issue is the behavior of cops at times when they are too frustrated & start swinging that stick without even asking for proof or anything. As mentioned in below quoted posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
The only set of people who can ruin this great move are a bunch of harassing policemen and senseless public alike.

Happened to come across a disturbing news from Khammam, Telangana where a female doctor who was on her way to duty was heckled and dragged by the ACP, despite her producing her ID and stating the valid reason. He also used filthy abusive language that amounts to outraging her modesty.
Quote:
First death due to police brutality in West Bengal. The person was buying milk and got beaten up by the police.
Any idea how's the situation in Bangalore around bannerghata road? Are the cops going that aggressive here as well?

P.S: I totally empathize with the cops and other health workers & can't imagine what they are going through. Since last 2 weeks I have been confined within my society & if not for this mandatory treatment wouldn't even bother stepping out.

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th March 2020 at 21:29.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:26   #128
Senior - BHPian

Would appreciate if you post both sides of the story. Otherwise this can be only called propaganda.
In both these cases police was beaten blue and black. Bangalore case was doing wheelieng and Kerala youths were on drugs.
You can get multiple videos in the internet blaming both sides. But the problem starts once you do cherry picking.

Last edited by poloman : 26th March 2020 at 21:28.
poloman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday in Kolkata, I saw it on the news yesterday but didn't want to post it.

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/wom...a-2551019.html

In TamilNadu cop pleading with the public to go home and see how the bikers sneak past him

Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:41   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Would appreciate if you post both sides of the story. Otherwise this can be only called propaganda.
Would rather not comment if posting entails being called a propagandist.

Anyway, which side is more does not matter. If you threaten the police, use force. If you are a normal guy going about grocery buying, use words. I guess policemen on the forum can share better information about how to deal with grocery shoppers. Not druggies, not stuntmen. That you are using examples of delinquents is sad.

It is great that the police took cognizance of the torture on the laborers, but as people said here, a lot of it happens without twitter savvy folks nearby which leads to lathi-wielding policemen using force when words can do.

Someone mentioned that stress may be a cause. Aren't doctors or nurses stressed? Aren't those delivering groceries stressed about being beaten? Everyone is stressed because this is a chaotic time. It'd be better to not play the numbers game, or accuse people of political affiliations, or justify violence, and hope that the country can do with an impartial rule of law without abusers.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:42   #131
TRR
BHPian

Quote:
No one, I repeat, no one here is anti-government. Lockdown is necessary. Beating people up? Maybe not.

Maybe a few individuals who see glory in brutalities will support this, but most Indians would not.

As for the member who stated that the police did not act on the goons doing bike stunts on empty roads because they were politically connected, that exactly is the issue. People like me or other middle class earners cannot call some politician to get exemptions. And the fact that exemptions are made so frivolously completely defeats the assertion by some here that the police needs to act with violence to deter movement.
I don't think anyone here is justifying mindless brutalities against the common man. If the person who died in WB was solely because of the police brutality, then that's an excess by the police. Period. There is no justification.

But there's also a large number of people roaming out on the streets for no apparent reason. When you pick a few rotten apples and paint the entire police cadre with the same branch, you have to also realize that there are also a larger number of rotten apples of citizens roaming around aimlessly. Case in point, the videos aired by some media channels over the past few days, where people were brazenly saying to the camera that they were outside because they were 'bored at home'.

There's also ample evidence of policemen going out of the way to provide essentials to the poorer sections in these trying times, if you'd but make a simple google search for that. But I guess that won't fit into the optics of how we live in a banana republic with the police all over the country going on a mindless killing spree and how the government has managed to destroy this country to its very foundations.

I think we need to realize that we don't live in a utopia. Whether you like it or not, that's a fact. People being politically connected and having influence, unlike the common man, is a virus we won't be able to eradicate any time soon or possibly ever at all. The world isn't all sunshine and roses, where justice and fairness permeates every class of society. Were there instances of excesses by cops? Definitely. Were the cops wrong? Definitely. But are the people equally innocent? I do not think so, especially in our country.

Bring these instances to light, I don't think anyone has an issue with that. But to say that all the cops are acting high-handed and that every person out on the roads is "out to buy medicines/groceries/milk" can only be in one's imagination.

I stepped outside my house to buy some milk and I witnessed 3 youths sitting on one bike and laughing as they drove around the neighbourhood. I'd definitely like to hear your suggestions on how to deal with these people.
TRR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:46   #132
Senior - BHPian

Bengal man's family says he died of police beating, police say he had heart ailment
The 32-year-old man had stepped out of his house to buy milk during the lockdown. Family says he was beaten up by the police. A local hospital declared him brought dead.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...842-2020-03-26
Old 26th March 2020, 21:57   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would rather not comment if posting entails being called a propagandist.

Anyway, which side is more does not matter. If you threaten the police, use force. If you are a normal guy going about grocery buying, use words. I guess policemen on the forum can share better information about how to deal with grocery shoppers. Not druggies, not stuntmen. That you are using examples of delinquents is sad.
Sir you are not getting the point. No one in sane mind will justify police beating up innocents. But that does not mean you cherry pick some videos and make sweeping statements. I had seen these videos days back. But did not post it since I know when tempers run high there will be many such instances. This is not the time to pick some isolated incidents and score some political points.
This is not a political emergency but a medical emergency.

That video from TN explains the ground scenario very well.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:06   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are a normal guy going about grocery buying, use words. I guess policemen on the forum can share better information about how to deal with grocery shoppers. Not druggies, not stuntmen. That you are using examples of delinquents is sad.
You are sitting in Singapore and judging the situation in India using the videos you are finding on Internet.

For every policeman beating the people, there are 99 other policemen who are just doing their job correctly. However, only the video of policeman swinging the lathi goes viral on Internet.

Today I was walking back from the grocery store, and I came across a policeman. After seeing all those lathi swinging policemen on video since couple days, I was a little uneasy when he looked at me. He just looked at me with my grocery bags and kept moving. Sorry, I don't have the video of that.

Police are in-charge of enforcing the curfew and ensure that people on roads are on essential or unavoidable errand. Most are doing it correctly without violence. In some places police are getting beaten up by local goons while doing their job. Hope you have seen those videos too.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th March 2020 at 22:27.
Samurai is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:29   #135

Police Reforms. This is the solution (hopefully). Else we will keep hearing about police brutality more often than not. IMHO, there is no place for violence either by the state or by the public. If the public resorts to violence (e.g., rioting), the police then has all the right to use force else it needs to remember that it's a service (remember, Indian Police Service). The police can book a person under the law that person is breaking but has no right for physical assault. Even 1%.

The police we see was established by our colonial masters (British Raj) through The Police Act, 1861 and has continued in the same form more or less unchanged. The British used the Police to keep the public suppressed through force and that has been the mantra after independence as well. For Police Reforms, there have been several commissions giving hundreds of recommendations over the last many years to improve the working conditions and training but have not been implemented until now.
https://mha.gov.in/sites/default/fil...E%29181013.pdf

Excerpts from an excellent article https://www.orfonline.org/expert-spe...eforms-46003/:

"The existing police infrastructure is also inadequate to cater to the needs of the police force. There is a huge manpower shortage in the police department. The police-population ratio, currently 192 policemen per lakh population, is less than what is recommended by UN i.e. 222 policemen per lakh population. This results in overburdening of work which is another grave challenge for the police force. Overburdening of work not only reduces the effectiveness and efficiency of the police personnel but also leads to psychological distress which contributes to various crimes committed by the policemen."
"It is time that we freed the police from the clutches of political masters and transform it from ‘Ruler’s Police’ to ‘People’s Police.’

So, what I want to stress is that there is no point in arguing among us. If we really want the policing system to improve then we need "Police Reforms". Else, be ready for more stories of police brutality.
MasterChief is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks