Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2020, 08:07   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The government should have clearly stated what the graded response would be and given people a few days to stock up provisions, close their businesses in an orderly manner and generally get ready as much as possible.
When demonetization was announced and people were said they have enough time to exchange their invalid notes, there still was insane crowds on day 1.

A well thought plan assuming that people would behave rationally would go haywire when the instinct of herd behavior takes over their fore brain.

They announced shut down till 31, migrants thronged railway station to go home. Then they have to stop the trains. Young folks having some fun using the empty roads and they are contemplating restricting fuel sale.

Kindly note: I am only trying to reason out why stuff happens, not justifying the police excesses or policies.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 09:34   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Is mask a must for going out to buy essentials like medicines, groceries? I see police beating up folks for not wearing a mask in the video below:

Old 27th March 2020, 09:48   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Is mask a must for going out to buy essentials like medicines, groceries? I see police beating up folks for not wearing a mask
Right or wrong, they are operating under the belief / suspicion that everyone on the road could be a Corona positive individual (asymptotic, perhaps) who could potentially transmit the virus to hundreds around him. In the absence of widespread community testing, one can't really blame them for insisting on a face cover - masks, handkerchiefs, towels and funnily, shirts / t-shirts too.

dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 10:07   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Right or wrong, they are operating under the belief / suspicion that everyone on the road could be a Corona positive
Not only are the cops wrong here but also the over enthusiastic news reporter as usual when we hear him support the act of the cops.

I for one have now completely stopped watching any Kannada news channel ever since I noticed each of them coming up with extremely negative headlines and random information from elsewhere trying to only create a scare around us.

One thing each one of these do now on regular basis is to refer to the phrase "Killer Corona" giving anyone an obvious hint that Corona will kill you!!

As someone stated earlier on this thread or elsewhere, we should have had a lockdown on these channels for 21 days too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th March 2020 at 10:08.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 10:53   #155
Team-BHP Support

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 11:37   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not only are the cops wrong here but also the over enthusiastic news reporter as usual when we hear him support the act of the cops.
While I certainly do not condone the policemen when they start wielding lathis on all and sundry, I tend to agree with their logic in insisting on some sort of facial protection.

Not only is prevention better than cure, in the case of Corona, Prevention IS the cure.
Quote:
I for one have now completely stopped watching any Kannada news channel ever since I noticed each of them coming up with extremely negative headlines and random information from elsewhere trying to only create a scare around us
Agree with your feelings there. We do watch Kannada news channels, but treat them as entertainers!

Quote:
One thing each one of these do now on regular basis is to refer to the phrase "Killer Corona" giving anyone an obvious hint that Corona will kill you!
The word Killer isn't meant to be understood literally, is it?

Quote:
As someone stated earlier on this thread or elsewhere, we should have had a lockdown on these channels for 21 days too.
Instead, we classified them as essential services and let them wreak havoc on our minds .

Here's an unfortunate bit of news that got forwarded to me on WhatsApp (and hence not completely reliable, I must admit!).

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-img20200327wa0042.jpg

Translation: A 35 year old gent has apparently exhibited signs of mental instability; apparently brought about because of the overdose of Corona related news.

About the negativity that is currently prevalent, here's something that could help: (Credit to the creator; don't know the origin)

Isolate yourself from news about the virus. (Everything we need to know, we already know).

Don't look for additional information on the Internet, it would weaken your mental state.

Avoid sending fatalistic messages. Some people don't have the same mental strength as you (Instead of helping, you could activate pathologies such as depression).

If possible, listen to music at home at a pleasant volume. Look for board games to entertain children, tell stories and future plans.

Maintain discipline in the home by washing your hands, putting up a sign or alarm for everyone in the house.

Your positive mood will help protect your immune system, while negative thoughts have been shown to depress your immune system and make it weak against viruses.

Most importantly, firmly believe that this will pass and we will be safe.

Stay positive.

Last edited by dailydriver : 27th March 2020 at 12:06.
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 12:23   #157
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

I for one have now completely stopped watching any Kannada news channel ever since I noticed each of them coming up with extremely negative headlines and random information from elsewhere trying to only create a scare around us.

One thing each one of these do now on regular basis is to refer to the phrase "Killer Corona" giving anyone an obvious hint that Corona will kill you!!

Hindi news is the same. Silly conspiracy theories using sensational headlines. Apparently there's this Netflix Chinese / Korean show episode which had a story about Corona and so now its a Chinese conspiracy
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 12:36   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Warning: Controversial Post

I do not have the knowledge or medical qualifications to determine whether a nation wide lock down and deep damage to millions of livelihoods is the correct solution or not or is it the least of 4 evils or is it a knee jerk action like DeMo or is it the only politically safe option available in times of uncertainity. Not having this knowledge I assume senior medical advisors and WHO advised the PM.

What I cannot comprehend is why do it with zero notice, zero preparation and planning and clearly inadequate thought on all the disruption that needs addressing. I am grappling with how giving zero notice helped the situation in any way. You act with no prior notice when you are faced with a crime or potential terrorist threat not when it is about healing and caring. What did the Govt think would go wrong if the nation was given one week to prepare? What did it prevent from happening - overcrowding, rush at stations, immigration, shortages - by pouncing with 3 hours notice. The informal sector, that employs most of our people, was dealt a body blow by DeMo. And now a second body blow.

Some may say we are saving lives. Which we should. But it needs to be in the context of how many lives do we think we are saving? Across the globe in 3 months, officially 20k have died. Let's assume India were to lose 40k. Each death is a personal tragedy and I am not belittling that. As per WHO India has ~2.6 million TB patients. Of these roughly 1100 people die because of TB each day. Would you stop the whole nation and spin millions out of employment for that?

The economic challenge (read recession) we are now going to face will probably kill many more than CV would. A small request - respond only with thought and facts and not with nationalistic bombast. I am as patriotic as the guy next door.

Dear Moderators, if this post is too touchy for the times and Team BHP please feel free to delete it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th March 2020 at 11:34. Reason: typo corrected
V.Narayan is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 13:01   #159
BHPian

Agree with the sentiment expressed above. While we were decisive with the lockdown, I wish we had enough foresight and made arrangements (read testing kits) after the cases went to double digits, which it had early March. I think we are flying blind with only about 20k odd tests done and are worried about widespread contamination and rightly so. This is the same mistake the United States made, by underestimating the threat and not preparing.

Korea knew it was coming, they are after all a neighbouring country of China. But so are we.
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 13:01   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Some may say we are saving lives. Which we should. But it needs to be in the context of how many lives do we think we are saving? Across the globe in 3 months, officially 20k have died. Let's assume India were to lose 40k. Each death is a personal tragedy and I am not belittling that. As per WHO India has ~2.6 million TB patients. Of these roughly 1100 people die because of TB each day. Would you stop the whole nation and spin millions out of employment for that?
I see your point and I concur that the panic with which people started acting to hoard good and essentials and the crowds that that created could have been avoided by telling everyone during the announcement that all ''groceries, medicines, essentials will be available during the lockdown period, do not worry''

And yes, the law and order situation in India is a discussion for another time, it's heartbreaking to see daily wage workers being beat up and homeless people being mistreated, I'm as disgusted by it as you are. In fact, please donate to organisations committed to feeding the poor in this trying time. I'm donating INR 1,000 every day.

However, as far as the shutdown is concerned, that was unavoidable for the following reasons:

1. Yes, over a thousand die from TB each day and we do not shut the nation down for that - But, what we need to understand here is that CV has the capability of infecting more than half of our population. Sure, over 80% of those cases are going to be mild and will not require hospitalisation, what about the rest?

2. We'll require ventilators and ICUs to treat patients with severe cases of CV. How many ICUs does India have? 2.3 beds per 1,00,000. Even if 1% of the affected cases require intensive care, we're leaving people to die.

3. The whole point of staying home is Flattening the curve. We're all probably going to get infected by this virus at some point. But if we all get infected together, the healthcare system will be overwhelmed and will collapse. By reducing physical contact, we're slowing down the spread of this, not stopping it. This will give our healthcare system the bandwidth needed to deal with severe cases. We do not want to be in a position where doctors need to choose whom to save and whom to not. That's the situation Italy is in right now.

4. Look at what's happening in NYC, they've ordered 45 refrigerated trucks and made makeshift morgues to house the coming dead. Why? No lockdown+population density=unabashed spread of the virus. We cannot afford to be in the same position as that. Not financially, not mentally.

This virus will mutate over time and become less malign. Its goal isn't killing its host, that way even it dies and doesn't spread. But till the time we have a grip on the situation, we need to contain its spread.

Remember - All we can do right now is Flatten the curve. Not stop it. When we have the capability to attack it, of course we will.

I'd recommending watching the following videos for a better understanding of the scale of the problem we're facing.

Last edited by DeKay : 27th March 2020 at 13:09.
DeKay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 13:02   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Right or wrong, they are operating under the belief / suspicion that everyone on the road could be a Corona positive individual (asymptotic, perhaps) who could potentially transmit the virus to hundreds around him.
Am not excusing the few individual citizens who are certainly flouting the lock down. And would never condone police beating up anyone.

But anyone who has lived in our country should know by now that when it comes to dealing with the average cop on the road, better be safe than sorry in the best of times and in times such as these, err on the side of caution. I was really amazed when I saw the video of those two young guys in Kerala who actually got into a scuffle with a group of policemen. I mean, that will never end well, even in normal times. At a time like this...I really bet those two are regretting ever stepping out.

Also, age and the way you appear certainly make a difference to the way you will be treated. Please keep all this in mind when dealing with already stressed members of the police force who are certainly doing their duty, but it must also be acknowledged, are really not trained properly to deal with the public well, even in the best of times.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 13:02   #162
BHPian

Guys, I've a flight on April 14th which stands cancelled as per the lock down instructions. Now, Indigo has no policy for cancellation !! They are charging the same amount as previously. Their other option is to provide credits ( which I believe is ok) ,but I've to make the booking within Sept 30th and for the same passengers!
Old 27th March 2020, 13:03   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
[u]Across the globe in 3 months, officially 20k have died. Let's assume India were to lose 40k. Each death is a personal tragedy and I am not belittling that. As per WHO India has ~2.6 million TB patients. Of these roughly 1100 people die because of TB each day. Would you stop the whole nation and spin millions out of employment for that?

The economic challenge (read recession) we are now going to face will probably kill many more than CV would. As mall request - respond only with thought and facts and not with nationalistic bombast. I am as patriotic as the guy next door.

Dear Moderators, if this post is too touchy for the times and Team BHP please feel free to delete it.
I respect your opinion but the COVID-19 and TB are totally different in terms of how quickly they multiply. Consider this, a regular traveller in Mumbai local or Delhi Metro has COVID-19 and he's travelling among the others and is asymptomatic but as we know he must have already infected all around him, and then they would further infect their families, their coworkers and their families the list goes on and on and I wont talk numbers but that would be enough to out do the total number of cases that Italy, China, Iran and USA combined in no time so IMO there isn't any other way at the moment other than a 'strict' lockdown atelast for the time being
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 13:53   #164
Team-BHP Support

This is Mysore today, and you can see police trying to convince folks to go home.

Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 14:10   #165
Senior - BHPian

If this is what lock down looks like why are we getting psychic sitting at home. Let everyone go out and do what ever one wants. Let thousands die, so be it..! As Narayan sir puts it infection and deaths are so normal in India. What a tragedy..!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed