Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you support the lockdown extension?
Yes 299 47.46%
No 244 38.73%
I'm unsure 87 13.81%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2020, 19:38   #376
Team-BHP Support

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Just realised that I don't have any option to cook if gas supply is stopped. Microwave is not a good way to cook Indian food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Didn't anyone else notice that they said the opposite of what they meant?

Or perhaps everyone noticed, and I just the Petty Pedant of the day!
Can't do nothing about it.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st April 2020 at 19:40.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 19:55   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
How true. We hand anticipated such a situation could arise. Hence, all boiling - water, vegetables, rice, etc - have been on the induction cooktop. Any/Every re-heating of food in the microwave.

Haven't done any proper cooking on the induction yet, but will possibly try one of these days.

Our apartment has the natural gas pipeline infrastructure mostly installed, but the supply of natural gas itself is yet to be started - I think this is story for many apartments in Bangalore.
I have been on the induction for the past 6 years. Anything that the gas does, the induction does better. The only initial hiccup is changing your vessels over to induction ready non stick stuff.
My apartments have IGL, but the bill has been just for the standard charges at the most for all these years.
It's also easier on the cookware, especially in cleaning. For instance, tea. You get the burn marks where the flame may be heating above the water level. No such problems.

So with the induction and a Halogen oven, I'm all sorted to never have to use the gas at all.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 20:08   #378

A few things come to mind.

1. India can get worse. I thought I was living in the worst country in the world, how wrong was I? There is a reason the most patriotic Indians are NRIs, they are not living in India, it's easier to like the country that way

2. I feel the situation would've been much better had they not set up checkpoints and not enforced new rules they create out of thin air.

3. In times like these, as much as it makes sense to help the daily wage workers, I feel bad not having a reliable supply of LPG, not having 24/7 electricity and running water, once this is all over, we need to improve these things. Having a space program, helping out other nations, is of no use when the country can easily slide back to the middle ages in a few days. Our focus should be on development, by which I mean, better roads, water supply and electricity supply, not statues, places of religious worship and politicians with ever-improving oratory skills, those things are meaningless

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2020 at 07:01. Reason: toned it down slightly
Dhiwakar92 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 20:11   #379
BHPian

Guys, have you tried stepping out at, say, 8 pm or so to buy stuff? I am in South Bangalore, Kathriguppe, and have stepped out twice till now, only after 8 pm.

Didn't face any issue.

I have no idea on availability of water cans during this time.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 1st April 2020 at 20:16.
Old 1st April 2020, 20:13   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
After the latest fiasco we may need to extend the lock down. Figures which were improving went up yesterday and also today.
Let us wait it out sir before speculating on those aspects. We aren't even half way through into this strategy. Give it the time and we never know, we may be back to work in office on Apr 14.
Old 1st April 2020, 20:16   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't have any option to cook if gas supply is stopped.
Can't do nothing about it.
May be you can!

Growing up, during high school days, my dad had developed a fascination for solar cooker. The thing looked like a big suitcase, had a large mirror attached to it that was used to reflect sunlight towards a glass-enclosed chamber which contained the food to be cooked!

During summer vacations and weekends it was my job to change the angle of the mirror reflector to ensure sunlight is falling on that chamber.

I don't recall too many details now, but I do remember the food used to be GOOD! Rice tasted different, in a good way!

Perhaps, you might have to get/build such a contraption!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have been on the induction for the past 6 years.
That's great. You are first person I now "know" of that dominantly or exclusively uses the induction for the cooking. Majority of the vessels we have are induction compatible.

Will try making dosa, as a start, on the induction this weekend.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 20:39   #382
BHPian

Quote:
After the latest fiasco we may need to extend the lock down. Figures which were improving went up yesterday and also today. Let us keep our fingers crossed.
The number of cases is not decreasing. So how was the situation improving?

The news channels, especially the ones dedicated to misinformation and inviting celebrities to play Antakshri while migrant workers are dying on the streets, are sensationalizing this particular gathering because of obvious reasons. Religious gatherings of all kinds happened till last Tuesday. In fact the chief minister of UP took out a procession on Wednesday, the day the lockdown was implemented.

Moving on, I don't think a gas is needed these days if you have an induction. Even with a microwave, one can cook plenty of Indian dishes

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 1st April 2020 at 20:44.
Nissan1180 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 21:02   #383
BHPian

For guys in Bangalore facing issues with 20L water cans - have you been to the BBMP RO plants installed at various places in Bangalore?

Putting a 5/- coin in the machine gives you a full 20L supply. I hope they are operational.

I can point to a tleast 5 in South Bangalore. Pls try after 8.30 pm if there is a challenge commuting during day time.

Also, I see that Bangalore Police responded on groceries part, however, have they been specifically posed a question on these water cans and the associated challenge of not being able to carry them on vehicles?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st April 2020 at 23:51. Reason: Please provide the details here instead of asking to PM. Helps members and non-members alike. Thanks!
Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 21:11   #384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The rate of increase was dropping. It had gone below the exponential curve. Once you have that in due course the numbers will stabilize and then drop.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 21:54   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post

I don't recall too many details now, but I do remember the food used to be GOOD! Rice tasted different, in a good way!

Perhaps, you might have to get/build such a contraption!

This one?
I used to have this too, early 90s, I think. My mom got it from kendriya bazaar, and our sarkari house was unnaturally blessed with gardens and sunlight. It was brilliant, and so mesmerizing, having food cooked with no gas or wires!
Attached Thumbnails
India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-41vdonac62l.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 23:36   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

I have no idea on availability of water cans during this time.
Spoke to multiple store owners, and even a local distributor located in Hanumanth Nagar (BSK 1st Stage) that was my regular supplier a year ago. There has been no supply since the shutdown, and apparently only one bottling plant in Devanahalli is operational. Supply to stores is one problem, supply to homes is another (no delivery boys and now no vehicles allowed).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 23:40   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rate of increase was dropping. It had gone below the exponential curve. Once you have that in due course the numbers will stabilize and then drop.

There is still a long way to go to see the curve flatten out. I don't think it's possible to draw any conclusions based on few days of data. We are barely scratching the surface now.
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:51   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
For guys in Bangalore facing issues with 20L water cans - have you been to the BBMP RO plants installed at various places in Bangalore?

Putting a 5/- coin in the machine gives you a full 20L supply. I hope they are operational.

I can point to a tleast 5 in South Bangalore. Pls try after 8.30 pm if there is a challenge commuting during day time.
How do you carry a 20l can more than a few metres? Asking for my parents who are senior citizens, and now not allowed to drive. Also, cannot find any information on a BBMP RO plant in Whitefield, where they live.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:00   #389
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Please don’t take the numbers at face value. The curve in our case can’t be compared to other countries because we haven’t done mass testing. We have our limitations but unless we have a big enough sample size tested, these numbers would mean nothing. Best to avoid discussions on numbers and exponential growth as we have insufficient data.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:59   #390
Team-BHP Support

Found this article on BBC – could throw some light on the death toll and the impact of lockdowns.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51979654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
This may give a better perspective (from the above article)

India on full lockdown. Edit: Now extended with relaxations till June 30, 2020-_111376754_optimisedcorona_deathsnc.png
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks